Wireless Lavalier Mic

Last response: in Home Audio
a b F Wireless
December 26, 2004 9:49:09 PM

I need to get a wireless lavalier mic for recording lectures.
Lectrosonics is out of the budget, so I'm looking at the Audio Technica
AT831CW with either the AT831CW (cardioid) or MT830CW (omni) lapel mics.
Has anyone here used this unit? Also, how directional are the cardioid
mics? Since the mic would also be used for PA feed, the cardioid has
more appeal, but I imagine it would be a little tricky to get the
perfect placement on the speaker.

Other systems being considered are the Sony UWPS1, the Sennheiser
EW122(P), and the Shure LX14/83. Any comments about any of these systems?

More about : wireless lavalier mic

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 26, 2004 9:49:10 PM

"mcp6453" <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I need to get a wireless lavalier mic for recording lectures. Lectrosonics
>is out of the budget, so I'm looking at the Audio Technica AT831CW with
>either the AT831CW (cardioid) or MT830CW (omni) lapel mics. Has anyone here
>used this unit? Also, how directional are the cardioid mics? Since the mic
>would also be used for PA feed, the cardioid has more appeal, but I imagine
>it would be a little tricky to get the perfect placement on the speaker.
>
> Other systems being considered are the Sony UWPS1, the Sennheiser
> EW122(P), and the Shure LX14/83. Any comments about any of these systems?

The Sennheiser system gets more favorable comment here than the others. I
have one and I'm pleased with it.

Steve King
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 26, 2004 9:49:10 PM

mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote:
>I need to get a wireless lavalier mic for recording lectures.
>Lectrosonics is out of the budget, so I'm looking at the Audio Technica
>AT831CW with either the AT831CW (cardioid) or MT830CW (omni) lapel mics.
>Has anyone here used this unit? Also, how directional are the cardioid
>mics? Since the mic would also be used for PA feed, the cardioid has
>more appeal, but I imagine it would be a little tricky to get the
>perfect placement on the speaker.

Use the omni. Don't even try the cardioid. It's hard enough to get people
to keep the mikes in place as it is.

>Other systems being considered are the Sony UWPS1, the Sennheiser
>EW122(P), and the Shure LX14/83. Any comments about any of these systems?

I have actually had good luck with the Shure. I have not used the others.
--scott

a b F Wireless
December 26, 2004 9:49:11 PM

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> I need to get a wireless lavalier mic for recording lectures.
>> Lectrosonics is out of the budget, so I'm looking at the Audio
>> Technica AT831CW with either the AT831CW (cardioid) or MT830CW
>> (omni) lapel mics. Has anyone here used this unit? Also, how
>> directional are the cardioid mics? Since the mic would also be used
>> for PA feed, the cardioid has more appeal, but I imagine it would be
>> a little tricky to get the perfect placement on the speaker.
>
> Use the omni. Don't even try the cardioid. It's hard enough to get
> people to keep the mikes in place as it is.
>
>> Other systems being considered are the Sony UWPS1, the Sennheiser
>> EW122(P), and the Shure LX14/83. Any comments about any of these
>> systems?
>
> I have actually had good luck with the Shure. I have not used the
> others. --scott

Another vote for the Sennie...although I'd have to say, I've also had good
luck with various others, especially the Shures.

jak
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 26, 2004 10:25:51 PM

mcp6453 wrote:

> Other systems being considered are the Sony UWPS1, the Sennheiser
> EW122(P), and the Shure LX14/83.

I am very happy with the ease of setup, sound quality and reliability of
the Senn rigs I put into an Austin TX dance studio this past summer.
These have have the cardioid head-worn mic, not lapels, but they seem to
be nice units, and I plan to get one or two for myself next year.

--
ha
Anonymous

>I am very happy with the ease of setup, sound quality and reliability of
>the Senn rigs I put into an Austin TX dance studio this past summer.
>These have have the cardioid head-worn mic, not lapels, but they seem to
>be nice units,

I've had good luck with the Sennhheisers in various PA situations. The Lav mic
performance really surprised me. They are DSP based devices, which seems to
have an unexpected advantage. It may be my imagination, but the DSP chip in
the receiver seems to insert a very small amount of delay(latency) in the
signal. It is almost imperceivable, but I'm fairly certain that it exists.
This small delay seems to result in greater gain before feedback than with an
analog system.

The supplied Lav mic seems to have very smooth frequency response, which
doesn't hurt either.

In any case, they have worked quite well for me in some difficult situations.

Chuck
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 27, 2004 4:55:12 AM

a more appropriate place to ask might be rec.arts.movies.production.sound
.....I've heard good things about the AT and sennheisers although never tried
them. If you wanna shell out a little more, lectro makes a sub $1k setup in
their 100 series. Good luck!

--

Jonny Durango

"Patrick was a saint. I ain't."

http://www.jdurango.com

"mcp6453" <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I need to get a wireless lavalier mic for recording lectures.
> Lectrosonics is out of the budget, so I'm looking at the Audio Technica
> AT831CW with either the AT831CW (cardioid) or MT830CW (omni) lapel mics.
> Has anyone here used this unit? Also, how directional are the cardioid
> mics? Since the mic would also be used for PA feed, the cardioid has
> more appeal, but I imagine it would be a little tricky to get the
> perfect placement on the speaker.
>
> Other systems being considered are the Sony UWPS1, the Sennheiser
> EW122(P), and the Shure LX14/83. Any comments about any of these systems?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 27, 2004 5:38:26 PM

I've had very good luck with the Sennheiser Evolution series. Great sound, a
bit power hungry- the battery indicator starts flashing after 20 minutes.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 27, 2004 7:13:28 PM

Blackburst wrote:

> I've had very good luck with the Sennheiser Evolution series. Great sound, a
> bit power hungry- the battery indicator starts flashing after 20 minutes.

Must need newer or different abtteries; they're runnig hours and hours
between charges at Go Dance!

The Maha batts and chargers seems keen. I'm going to add some of those
soon.

--
ha
!