All in Wonder and Audigy2 remotes

kmogg

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
Planning to build an Intel system with ATI All in Wonder 8500 and Audigy 2. Both have remotes.
Do they play well together? Any issues to consider?

Kevin MOgg

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't see any problems, except that Creative software often FIGHTS VIOLENTLY with other software over things like volume controll.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

kmogg

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
Thanks.
So if they fight, does the Audigy win? I guess the main issue is watching a movie or TV playback, and controlling volume. Would I have to control volume with the Audigy remote while watching stuff with ATI software?
Will check FAQs on creative and ATI sites.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I would suggest if you want to controll the volume with your ATI remote, disable remote features of the Audigy2. Can you get the Audigy2 without remote and still with the other features you need?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

kmogg

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
Crashman,
I wanted the breakout box too with the Platinum EX. The new one out soon should have better ASIO drivers. And that just comes with the remote.
I would like to be able to use both. I NEED it more for ATI couchpotato chores, but would be using the Audigy to play music more frequently. Though I guess I could get by with out the Audigy remote if I had to.
Hmmmm. I haven't done my build yet and am new to XP.
Could I set up a separate user profiles in XP and log on to one when I will be using the video and want that to work, and log on to another one when using the Audigy2? (Disabling the ATI remote in that configuration).
Still will try to get over to ATI and creative sites to check if they have fixes.

Kevin

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, I'm just remembering the fight between my Live Platinum 5.1 and my IBM Keyboard volume controlls. Anyway, they might work together by now. I think you can do everything with the ATI remote that you want to do though.

kmogg

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
Well, I am pasting in what I found on the ATI website. Seems that Audigy is the bully and wins the fight!
Actually, I don't care. If I can still use the ATI remote for the video features and the Audigy remote for the sound, that is not a big deal. Kinda used to dealing with a bunch of remotes, anyway. As long as nothing else is screwed up.

Kevin
---------------------------------------------------------
ATI Multimedia Center - Unable to control audio when using SoundBlaster Audigy
This issue affects ATI's Multimedia Center software when using a SoundBlaster Audigy series soundcard.
When attempting to use the volume controls in any ATI Multimedia Center application, the volume will not change. Volume is still controllable using the Audigy's audio mixer controls.
At present, it is believed that this issue occurs due to changes in how the audio lines are handled by the Audigy. These changes appear to occur when the additional software packages provided with the Audigy are installed. Instead of each input being accessible via individual mixer controls, multiple inputs are instead grouped to a single mixer control.
ATI's Multimedia Center software requires access to individual soundcard input settings in order to control audio within ATI TV Player, ATI CD Audio Player, and ATI DVD Player.
The audio settings may still be controlled through the SoundBlaster Audigy audio mixer.
Customers have reported that installing only the soundcard drivers, without any of the additional software provided for the Audigy, allows Multimedia Center to correctly control the mixer. Current driver updates are available for download from Creative Labs' website.
For watching TV, the MIC Input on the Audigy can be used and controlled by the ATI TV Player even with the additional Audigy software installed.
NOTE: The MIC Input is an amplified input. As such, you may experience audio distortion when watching TV and in video captures if it used. Also, some MIC Input jacks support only monaural audio rather than stereo.
To change your audio setup to MIC Input please follow the steps outlined below:
1. On the back of the SoundBlaster Audigy move the Mini 1/8 Stereo audio cable from LINE IN to MIC.
2. Launch the ATI TV player.
3. Click on the setup box on the TV player control panel.
4. Click on the Display tab.
5. Click on the "Initialization Wizard" button.
6. Click on the "Next" button 3 times to bring up the Audio input window.
7. Click on the Audio input and select the MIC from the Audio input list.
8. Click on Next and then Finish to complete the setup.
The TV audio controls should now work when used from the TV player or from the Creative Mixer.
INFO-BASE file # 4008