Netgear 600 - WNDR3700v3

qiwibunni

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Hi

I was wondering if anyone knows how to limit a specific attached device's bandwidth on my router?
My parents got this "Tv-Box" thing that allows them to watch oversea tv stations, and it really kills the bandwidth whenever they use it.

I have tried setting the Qos priority rule - but it doesn't stay consistent. On top of that - my mom also likes to use p2p on her computer....setting Qos on that computer doesn't help much either...

I have considered using netlimiter on her computer - but not sure what numbers to set it to. Is it possible to limit the bandwidth usage on the computer as a whole with that software? Or does it only limit the bandwidth on particular programs on the computer?

Please help! Thank you in advance

Solution
I would give the QoS another try -- create new QoS rules by MAC address, not by application. Give your computer MAC address the highest priority and all others normal priority, except the computer running p2p and give that the lowest.

The other thing that would help would be if she limited the number of her p2p connections allowed.

Only the Pro versions of netlimiter allow a wide range of QoS rules, and I doubt that others will want you installing that on their machines plus it costs on a per machine basis.

RealBeast

Titan
I would give the QoS another try -- create new QoS rules by MAC address, not by application. Give your computer MAC address the highest priority and all others normal priority, except the computer running p2p and give that the lowest.

The other thing that would help would be if she limited the number of her p2p connections allowed.

Only the Pro versions of netlimiter allow a wide range of QoS rules, and I doubt that others will want you installing that on their machines plus it costs on a per machine basis.

Solution