Sign in with
Your question

New to PSU

Last response: in Components
January 12, 2003 3:25:52 AM

I'm building a new computer and am a little concerned that my Antec Trupower 330W PSU is not gonna be enough. I am gonna have:

2 HD
2 CD
Radeon 9700 Pro
MOBO/PROC/RAM
FLOPPY
SOUND CARD

My questions are

1) Will turning on the computer for the first time with a less than sufficient PSU do any harm?

2) What are some symptoms of not enough power?

Thanks for helping a n00b with PSUs.

More about : psu

January 12, 2003 5:50:38 AM

Ohk, just from that list your system is going to be needing around 300Watts of energy, so I don't think you'll have problems unless you push the system. No damage can happen, don't worry, but if the system runs short on power mid-use, it'll simply reboot. I would definitely suggest at least 400W PSU, especially so you have room for upgrades.

Ahhh! It's 2003 and wait, whats this!? My computer didn't blow up! ... Well damn, there goes my new Athlon @ 333FSB and my inssurance claim... heheheh
January 12, 2003 11:43:01 AM

Well it depends on which CPU you have. But that Antec 330W should be enough.

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!
--- PM me for information.
Related resources
January 12, 2003 5:49:17 PM

okay thanks guys, i will keep an eye on it.
January 12, 2003 11:11:02 PM

Your antec should be fine.
Its a decent wattage PSU and more importantly its made by a reputable company.

Symptoms of an insufficient PSU are some/all of the following:

A. Random reboots or system freezes, expecially under conditions of heavy usage, but not allways.
B. Bootup problems, paritcularly with cold boots that need extra power to get all your devices up and running.
C. excessive heat output from the PSU fan.
D. Fluctuating/dipping voltage lines, particulary the 5v line for AMD cpu's, 12V line for Pentium4's.

In an absolute worst case, (extreemly unlikely in your situation), the psu overloads and burns out in a pretty cloud of smelly blue smoke, possibly damaging the motherboard/cpu/ram in the process. But this would be for an amazingly underpowered system.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>
January 13, 2003 2:31:54 AM

thanks...thats exactly what i needed.
January 13, 2003 3:43:42 PM

The 5V is only used with the P3 and old Athlons (Slot A I think)... the current Athlon XP also use the 12V rail as power source.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek: 
January 13, 2003 9:01:22 PM

Allright smartie pants, why then does the 5v rail still dip so much on poor PSU's when CPU load is applied?

With my PSU the 12v rail actually goes up.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>
January 14, 2003 1:16:08 PM

I dunno... maybe bad PSU (j/k)?!? Just read on AMDs website.
It could be that the voltage increases because the PSU puts more load on the 12V rail.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek: 
January 14, 2003 9:10:38 PM

hmmm. Still think its fishy.
IF AMD's Drew so much from the 12v line why then down the 5v line predictably drop lower and lower the more i overclock? And ive seen this on lots of different PSU's.

At stock speed im running around 4.95v
idle at my 1833mhz OC is 4.91v and full load is 4.89v stable.
The 12v line remains pretty much constant throughout, 12.21 at idle, 12.40 at full load.

And predictably when people are having PSU problems the 5v line is 4.8v or less or fluctuating.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lhgpoobaa on 01/14/03 06:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 15, 2003 1:22:02 PM

I dunno, maybe that powers the memory and the rest of the mainboard. Or because the 12V line draws more the 5V gets less.

January 17, 2003 1:14:34 AM

Apparently some of the new motherboards are running the cpu off the 12v rail. I know this for a fact because on my motherboard there's a 4 pin socket(like intel) to deliver twelve volts to the cpu line. It says in the MB manual"to make it more stable." It will run without it plugged in. This would make sense also because the way these things are starting to use the juice it won't be long before your 500 watt PSU is underpowered. (just kidding on the last part)
!