Upgraded internet cable and its not working right.

Amamake

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Hello,

Recently I was able to acquire a new computer, a new modem and a new router. My dad hooked up the router on his computer and then bought a "cat6" cable for my computer to run to the router. I used to be able to get ~1.9 MBs per second and now I get ~120 KBs per second. I cannot access iTunes Store. It took 3 minutes to connect to this website. The internet tests I have done tell me that the cable itself is bad but on my old Z77 Sabertooth computer (before it died a horrible painful vain death) was completely fine with the cable. No problems! I have an Asus ROG motherboard now.

I also have extreme difficultly with connecting and viewing youtube videos.

The tests I have run are the Diagnostics Tests featured in the Link Speed tab from the Properties button on the internet status tab.

Anyway to get my internet back up to normal speed? What do I need to do?

Solution
This is the checklist i would do.

1. Connect straight to the modem and see what speeds you get. Use a different cable for this as well.

2. If the speeds are fine for the modem to PC connection, then the router is bad.

Mr_Minecraft

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
This is the checklist i would do.

1. Connect straight to the modem and see what speeds you get. Use a different cable for this as well.

2. If the speeds are fine for the modem to PC connection, then the router is bad.

Solution

Amamake

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013

Okay I did that and the speed is about the same. Still no connection to iTunes and just slightly worse connection to Planetside 2 but all my other online games are the same.

Mr_Minecraft

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
Try these things:

1. Make sure all drivers are up to date. The ethernet controller driver on the mother board might be old.

2. Try with another computer, see what happens.

3. The motherboard's ethernet components might be bad.

TRENDING THREADS