Only the laptop...

One wonders if I've made the right decision. Was
informed that I could use the Microsoft Wireless Notebook
Kit (PC Card & MN-500) to make my laptop (our only
computer) wireless, so I can remove it from the back room
(office) into the living room without dragging the cable
modem and cable. But the set-up instructions indicate
that this can't be; that some permanently-locked-down-and-
plugged-into-the-modem computer must act as a server type.

Am I reading this wrong? Is it possible for this
hardware to enable my laptop to truly be portable?

*jeep!
--Chet

You can do that, Chet. Just use the Ethernet port on the laptop to first
set up the base station. As long as you've got the MN-500 programmed
properly, just keep it connect to the DSL modem and on all the time. Then
you can use the wireless adapter in the laptop, making sure to disable the
Ethernet connection you created in the base station setup.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"Chet" <mormonyoyoman@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> One wonders if I've made the right decision. Was
> informed that I could use the Microsoft Wireless Notebook
> Kit (PC Card & MN-500) to make my laptop (our only
> computer) wireless, so I can remove it from the back room
> (office) into the living room without dragging the cable
> modem and cable. But the set-up instructions indicate
> that this can't be; that some permanently-locked-down-and-
> plugged-into-the-modem computer must act as a server type.
>
> Am I reading this wrong? Is it possible for this
> hardware to enable my laptop to truly be portable?
>
> *jeep!
> --Chet

Thank you, Chris! I'll burrow through the books and try
to figure out how to do just that!

*jeep!
--Chet (Who will probably have to call someone after
all, since I's an old dummy.)

If you take a look through some of the networking articles by Microsoft MVP
Barb Bowman on the Expert Zone in my signature line, you'll find a whole lot
of information.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

> Thank you, Chris! I'll burrow through the books and try
> to figure out how to do just that!
>
> *jeep!
> --Chet (Who will probably have to call someone after
> all, since I's an old dummy.)

Thanks again, Chris! The setup program wasn't able to
handle it, but thanks to a very helpful person at the 800
number, we have it up and running now.

*jeep!
--Chet