Time Warner wifi keeps dropping after wifi upgrade!

sdiddy

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
Hey All I have had it up to here with TW and this is my last ditch effort. I live in playa vista which is a planned community in LA and our homes are prewired with ethernet/internet with TW. My router is in a panel in the closet (no cover on the panel), and my internet worked FINE for 7 years there. But about 6 months ago TW upgraded all the internet speeds in this neighborhood and its been a disaster since then. They gave me a new motorola wifi router and when its connected the speed is fine, but it CONSTANTLY drops signal every 10 minutes. not just my laptop...my tablet, my wifes laptop, our wifi security camera, etc...all drop at the same time! Once its dropped, the only fix is I have to do a manual "repair" of my wifi connection on my laptop, or toggle the wifi on my tablet. I am sick of doing this every 10 minutes all day long. TW sent technicians out here 4 times, and provided no answers except to keep saying to move the router to the main room. I keep telling them its fine there because it worked fine for 7 YEARS there! its a small condo and I am no more than 15 feet from the wifi at any given time. I have read this could be a DNS issue, and i dont even know what that means but i plugged the dns info into my laptop settings and that didnt seem to do anything. I know this is a settings issue, but dont know what. please help...am so grateful for anyone who can carefully walk me through what to do..i am not an expert so need guidance. thanks

When you say it drops the signal is the router itself losing the signal or is it a matter oof the transmitting of the signal that is the problem. The next time it drops the signal take the laptop and connect it by ethernet cable to the router and see if it has the signal or if it has lost it. If it's a matter of transmitting the signal then you can try hanging the channel in the router . 1.6.9 and 11 are some that you can try. If the router is currently on channel 1 then skip that one.
If the router is a dual band router then you can try the other band.

sdiddy

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012

thanks for the info...how do i change the band? we have tried changing the channel multiple times but hasnt fixed the issue. i dont think its a cable issue...i think its an issue of the router wifi not being able to keep a constant and consistent signal output....i read from some other forums that this is a common TW problem of the wifi settings continually being lost/erased by the router....its not keeping the settings for some reason. how do you fix this??

sdiddy

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012

this didnt work. still havign major issues. wifi keeps dropping on all devices. sigh. out of options here.

sdiddy

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
ISSUE FIXED: The ONLY way i found that fixes this common TW issue is to call level 3 tech support at TW, tell them to put the modem in bridge mode, and then plug your own wireless router into it and only connect to that. not sure why this works but it does. thanks and GL!

traxtc

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
I also live near Play Vista like the person who started this thread but I live in the older community nearby. During the time Play Vista was being built, TW would regularly shut down the Internet during the day. Since I work from home, I had to subscribe to DSL as a backup. Of course TW denied this was happening but I could go out, see the trucks and talk to the workers who verified they shut it down to do Playa Vista work. Now years later, we have a worse problem similar to what started this thread. Our Internet will be fine for weeks or even months at a time. Then for no reason it will stop, just for a second or two and restart with no problem. A person browsing would probably not even notice. But I have several connections that often must be restarted when they detect the connection is lost even for a couple of seconds. First TW blamed by Sonic Wall firewall so I replaced it with a LinkSys router. Then they blamed the wiring in my home. It was relative new but I had it professionally tested. Then they blamed my internal network so I bypassed it and left just my one primary computer. They blamed the new LinkSys router so I bought another newer one, now owned by Cisco. Then they blamed my computer. I replaced it. They blamed their cable modem, I had it replaced. They blamed the wiring from the pole, I paid them to replace it. This has been going on now for five years. Again, it will be fine for months at a time, then for a few days, we get this intermittent dropping, then it's fine again. Our only other choice here is DSL which is only 1/3 the speed. I installed some network monitoring software and sent their Level 3 support a report that showed the periods of intermittent outages. I wrote to the president of TW. Nothing I have done has improved this situation. Anyone have any suggestions?