Sign in with
Your question

Asus RT-N13U firmware restore after DD-WRT

Last response: in Networking
January 27, 2013 2:00:02 PM

Yesterday, I flashed DD-WRT, the latest beta version, to my router, an Asus RT-N13U B1.
After flashing DD-WRT, I couldn't get the 3G USB modem to work with it, and thus, I decided to flash back the original firmware onto it.
I needed to put it into restore mode, but it was just not going into the restore mode. Then I read somewhere that after installing DD-WRT, other people had the same problem.
http://www.techenclave.com/networking/how-successfully-...
So I connected to my router via telnet, using PuTTY, and ran the "mtd erase linux" command without the quotes.
Even now, it isn't going into restore mode.
Someone please help me with this!!! How do I flash back the old firmware now?
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 27, 2013 6:18:13 PM

Do everything from a wired not wireless connection.

First download the ASUS firmware on your local hard drive, then do a 30/30/30 reset on the router: with computer attached by Ethernet and nothing else connected to your router except that Ethernet and the router power, press and hold reset button on router for 30 second and while still holding down reset remove the power connector from router, continue depressing reset button for 30 second, then reconnect router power. Keep depressing reset button for 30 more seconds and then finally release. Wait 10 seconds and then unplug router again for 10 more seconds, then reattach the power. Then hit the restore button (or reset router via telnet/ssh to 192.168.1.1 with the commands "erase nvram" and then "reboot.") Then you are ready to flash to another firmware. Give the router some time between steps and never allow a power loss during a flash.

Login to your router configuration, select administration, select firmware, and then select your Asus firmware on the local hard drive and hit submit. You can also apparently use the ASUS Firmware Restoration Utility, but I haven't done any that way. You can get that tool and the firmware from HERE.
m
l
January 28, 2013 6:37:43 AM

RealBeast said:
Do everything from a wired not wireless connection.

First download the ASUS firmware on your local hard drive, then do a 30/30/30 reset on the router: with computer attached by Ethernet and nothing else connected to your router except that Ethernet and the router power, press and hold reset button on router for 30 second and while still holding down reset remove the power connector from router, continue depressing reset button for 30 second, then reconnect router power. Keep depressing reset button for 30 more seconds and then finally release. Wait 10 seconds and then unplug router again for 10 more seconds, then reattach the power. Then hit the restore button (or reset router via telnet/ssh to 192.168.1.1 with the commands "erase nvram" and then "reboot.") Then you are ready to flash to another firmware. Give the router some time between steps and never allow a power loss during a flash.

Login to your router configuration, select administration, select firmware, and then select your Asus firmware on the local hard drive and hit submit. You can also apparently use the ASUS Firmware Restoration Utility, but I haven't done any that way. You can get that tool and the firmware from HERE.

Well, the problem here is, as of now, there is no firmware on the router. And it doesn't show up on my computer. When I go to 192.168.1.1, nothing happens. Also, there is only one button, named restore.
I did a 30/30/30 with it, no help.
The firmware restoration utility says that the router is not in restore mode.
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 28, 2013 1:16:45 PM

Just to understand more what you did, after the telnet mtd erase linux, did you then give a restore command, and then tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT path/to/firmware.chk ? If not try it and then reboot the router.

Your first goal should be to getting back to a stable dd-wrt build and then restore the ASUS firmware.

m
l
January 28, 2013 1:32:29 PM

RealBeast said:
Just to understand more what you did, after the telnet mtd erase linux, did you then give a restore command, and then tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT path/to/firmware.chk ? If not try it and then reboot the router.

Your first goal should be to getting back to a stable dd-wrt build and then restore the ASUS firmware.

No, all I did was the erase linux command, after which, the telnet connection got dropped.
I am unable to even detect my router with my computer, so I cannot telnet into it.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 28, 2013 1:40:37 PM

Then the chipset (Ralink) is sort of lost in oblivion right now. I would try constant pings to see if you get any response after a minute or two. I would also try to finish running tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT path/to/firmware.chk to attempt to give the router an address back, and give it a few minutes untouched to tell you if successful.
m
l
January 28, 2013 3:43:07 PM

RealBeast said:
Then the chipset (Ralink) is sort of lost in oblivion right now. I would try constant pings to see if you get any response after a minute or two. I would also try to finish running tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT path/to/firmware.chk to attempt to give the router an address back, and give it a few minutes untouched to tell you if successful.

I could have tried that, but the problem here is that there is no network access to the router.
WHen I ping 192.168.1.1, the screen stays blank.
And I wont be able to use any tools or telnet or ftp to connect to it, because it just doesn't show up, like you cant run commands on a powered off computer.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 28, 2013 4:40:18 PM

Sorry to say, but it sounds bricked and I don't know any other recovery efforts for a Ralink chipset. If it is still under a warranty you might try an RMA (died during a firmware update, although I wouldn't mention dd-wrt).
m
l
January 29, 2013 5:48:15 AM

RealBeast said:
Sorry to say, but it sounds bricked and I don't know any other recovery efforts for a Ralink chipset. If it is still under a warranty you might try an RMA (died during a firmware update, although I wouldn't mention dd-wrt).

Ok, I'll try that, but if you do find some method, let me know. My local Asus support center works very very slow. They took a month to replace something of my friend.
m
l
February 4, 2013 2:02:20 PM

I can get my router into recovery mode, and after disabling all other network adapters and setting a static ip on the one I use to connect to my router, I was able to get into it using the Firmware Restoration Utility.
But yet another problem is being faced now.
When I try restoring the firmware, it goes up to 51%, stays like that for like 10-15 seconds, and then throws this error message : "Failed to upload the firmware. Please check the connection between your computer and router."
What should I do now?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 4, 2013 2:11:17 PM

Great, a sign of life. Can you ping it? Any chance that you can telnet it now and finish the restore and tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT path/to/firmware.chk commands?

Either that or try the erase nvram and hard reset from the borked ASUS thread.

You might also try an older firmware version or at least re-download the one that you are using with the firmware restore utility.
m
l
February 5, 2013 7:22:32 AM

RealBeast said:
Great, a sign of life. Can you ping it? Any chance that you can telnet it now and finish the restore and tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT path/to/firmware.chk commands?

Either that or try the erase nvram and hard reset from the borked ASUS thread.

You might also try an older firmware version or at least re-download the one that you are using with the firmware restore utility.

I cannot ping it, and during the restore, it gets stuck at 52% for a while and then throws the error message.
When I ping it, it just times out.
m
l
!