Sign in with
Your question

High bandwidth, downloads still slow ps3 connections?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 9, 2012 9:19:16 PM

Hello,
I'm just wondering if anyone could help me with a little problem I'm having. I have decent Bandwidth, high download speeds (25.67mbps) low ping(16ms) And okay upload speeds (4.47mbps). I usually browse Reddit and my father usually plays CoD. The problem is, whenever I try and download anything, his game slows down to where he gets kicked from the room. I have no idea how to fix this, but I know for a fact it shouldn't be happening.
December 10, 2012 4:43:56 PM

What do you have for a router and are you both connected wirelessly or is one or both connected by ethernet cable ?
m
l
December 10, 2012 11:29:22 PM

I have a Modem that is connected to Linksys E900 WiFi Router. Both my Computer and my ps3 run off the Wifi.
m
l
December 11, 2012 1:58:33 AM

Maybe the router needs to be reconfigured. Interference can cause speed issues. Make sure router is on a higher location to broadcast signal properly, make sure it is not too close to the modem or anything that can cause interference. Reconfigure the wireless settings. Set the channel width to 20 mhz only, change channel to 1 or 6 or 9 or 11. MTU might need to be adjusted also. Couple of things can cause speed issues. It might just needing a reset and reconfiguration there were some comments on the feedback of this router about downloads and gaming. I know that a better quality router would be a great help but not everyone can afford that so you have to make the best of what you have. I have a Linksys E4200 and it does everything without blinking but it's also a more expensive router. Try changing the channel and visit this web site , they have some good tools for fine tunning the router and even the computer.

http://www.dslreports.com/tools
m
l
!