HD setup/swap problem

cojer

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
I want to swap an old HD into my system to copy a few files, then remove it. My current setup is HD on IDE1, CD on IDE2, HD on IDE3 using Raid. I want to replace the HD on the raid channel with this new one, then swap them back. Figured this would be easier than creating a raid array to connect all 3 drives.

Current OS is windows 2000. Win98 is installed on the drive I want to swap in. When I connect this HD to IDE3, it is listed as primary master, not the drive on IDE1. the system will try to boot into 2000 from this HD, so it just sits there doing nothing. When I connect this drive to IDE1 as a slave, the system will boot into win98 and attempt to install all new hardware. I tried to make it through this, but system froze.

how can I make the system boot into 2000 of the right primary master drive? currently using epox 8k5a2+ with factory bios.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
You will need to go into the bios and change the boot sequence, and disable/prevent the mobo from trying to boot first off the raid drive.

What you can also try is attach it as slave to the standard IDE channel 1 (primary slave).
See if that works better.
Then copy accross the stuff and format the drive or whatever.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Great :smile:

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>