Failing IBM Deskstar

kaczor

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
I have read in the past about the IBM Deskstars failing for a lot of people...

The other day I have noticed mine acting up. I have it 30GB split into partitions. When I try accessing the second one, the drive makes this grinding noise for a few minutes, not being able to access files. On top of that a couple of files cannot be read due to a CRC error.

I realize that not much can be deduced from the above description, but I am wondering if this is simply a result of bad sectors (i haven't check for them), or should I be worried about the other two partitions as well?

I guess I will by calling IBM...

Thanks for the help
Pawel

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Oh yes!

Here is what you should do.

1. BACKUP ALL YOUR IMPORTANT DATA IMMEDIATELY. Better safe than sorry.

2. Visit the IBM webpage, and download their drive diagnostic program, DFT (drive fitness test).

3. run a complete test of DFT, and it your drive comes up with bad sectors, which im 99% certain it will, you have three courses of action.
You can
A. Format the drive and reinstall, but with a fair chance that you will get more badsectors in the future, just like what happened with my 60GXP.
B. Package the drive up and RMA it to get a new one.
or
C. RMA the drive and in the meantime get a RELIABLE drive from another manufacturer (Seagate, Maxtor or Western Digital).

(I chose option C) :smile: good luck.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>

kaczor

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
Yes, I realize that this wasn't the best purchase, but I read about the unreliability of these drives after I bought it...

Thanks for the tips.
pawel

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah. Must be a law of nature. Never see the bad reviews till you get one LOL.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>

TRENDING THREADS