door for iso booth

Last response: in Home Audio
December 27, 2004 6:04:21 PM

the second question i had on the iso booth was the door.

i know there is a brand of door that is "the one" to get for sound-lock
purposes.

but i'm looking for something that isn't 350 pounds and doesn't cost
$900.

i'd almost be tempted to use a double-paned sliding glass door if i
could find one that wansn't too huge and had awesome "suction" on the
seals when you close it (preferably making some sort of star trek
"schhhhwit" sound when it closes fully).

More about : door iso booth

Anonymous
December 27, 2004 7:51:55 PM

thanks for the link, Tim. that stuff looks cool. i can't quite "get
my head around it" because they only show the isolated parts (rather
than having a picture of their seals in a working door setup).

looks like good stuff, though.

a Quicktime movie giving a "tour" of the seals in action would be sweet!
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 7:55:14 PM

i could just make the door-wall using 6 inch studs and then do a
double-door thing, with the inner part between the doors getting
stuffed up with sonex and stuff like that so the perimiters of the
doors have about a 4 inch thick foam barrier all around.

then juice up the insides of each door with a layer of sheetrock and a
layer of that auralex sound-block vinyl stuff.
although a single "star trek" door would be more elegant.
December 27, 2004 10:18:49 PM

<genericaudioperson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> the second question i had on the iso booth was the door.
>
> i know there is a brand of door that is "the one" to get for sound-lock
> purposes.

there are many brands and makers of accustic doors.

> but i'm looking for something that isn't 350 pounds and doesn't cost
> $900.

any door that makes an effective sound barrier will have a significant
amount of mass. the least cost trade-off is to use a solid core door with
rubber seals around the edges and a mechanical threshold that drops down
when the door is closed.

an "automatic door bottem" can be seen here
http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/products/door_seals/...

> i'd almost be tempted to use a double-paned sliding glass door if i
> could find one that wansn't too huge and had awesome "suction" on the
> seals when you close it (preferably making some sort of star trek
> "schhhhwit" sound when it closes fully).

i inherited a studio once that had a sliding glass door between studios. it
worked equally well in the open or closed position. we replaced it with a
wall.
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 2:47:02 AM

> thanks for the link, Tim. that stuff looks cool. i can't quite "get
> my head around it" because they only show the isolated parts (rather
> than having a picture of their seals in a working door setup).
>
> looks like good stuff, though.
>
> a Quicktime movie giving a "tour" of the seals in action would be sweet!

the button goes up against the jamb on the hinge side... when the door
closes the button forces the seal down.

the last 10 of this type have survived for a year and a half for me, however
i have seen them wear out after a number of years. these are in very active
locations.
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 3:48:07 AM

>i inherited a studio once that had a sliding glass door between studios. it
>worked equally well in the open or closed position. we replaced it with a
>wall.

Same here..was supposed to be a vocal booth..it was as noisy inside as out.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 5:53:49 AM

for best isolation consider two very heavy doors....the gap in between the
doors will greatly help to reduce the sound especially if the walls they are
attached to are designed for acoustic isolation. This is the same principle
as using two sets of walls with staggered studs to reduce sympathetic
vibration....good luck!!
--

Jonny Durango

"Patrick was a saint. I ain't."

http://www.jdurango.com

<genericaudioperson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> the second question i had on the iso booth was the door.
>
> i know there is a brand of door that is "the one" to get for sound-lock
> purposes.
>
> but i'm looking for something that isn't 350 pounds and doesn't cost
> $900.
>
> i'd almost be tempted to use a double-paned sliding glass door if i
> could find one that wansn't too huge and had awesome "suction" on the
> seals when you close it (preferably making some sort of star trek
> "schhhhwit" sound when it closes fully).

Anonymous
December 28, 2004 5:55:23 AM

>i know there is a brand of door that is "the one" to get for sound-lock
>purposes.

There are a few. Wenger is one. Google "acoustic doors" and you'll find more.
I used plain ol' solid core slabs with Zero seals around the perimiters in my
studio and they work fine. Do they have the same attenuation as the heavy
Wenger modesl? No. Do I wish there was better sepatration? Sometimes, but
rarely. On occasion I need more isolation. Luckily we have two booths
separated from the main room by airlocks. In those instances, the solid core
doors in conjunction with the airlocks provide plenty of isolation.

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 2:27:45 AM

There was an article many years back (mix or REP,I forget which) that said to
make it inexpensively, fabricate a door from (2)1-1/2 inch high density
fireproof particleboards glued together using piano hinge hung from a steel
frame, and sealed with refrigerator seal. (magnetic)

Probably weighed about 300 Lbs
Richard H. Kuschel