Yzador

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2003
Taking a look around @ Rambus 1066 256/512mb prices,I find that the 232 pin(32-bit) modules are cheaper than the 184 pin modules.(@ googlegear.com for one,others,too)

Why is that?

I had thought the 232 pin modules would be more expensive a)being the latest from Rambus b)convenience(?) of using only one stick @ a time,instead of having to install in pairs,etc.

Is the market acceptance of the 232's slow?
Are they inferior? (!)
Is it because there aren't many MB that support them?

I have been thinking of buying an Asus P4T533(not "C") and getting the 232 RDRAM

sorry,...newbie..generally clueless.... :)
TIA

Yz

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
RIMM 4200 cost less to produce that PC1066
allwayse compare 256mb stick when speaking of RDRAM price for 512mb is very high.Price for RDRAM 1066 mghz have been decreaqsing fast as samsung have enter mass volume production of it question of time before disband of PC 800 and RIMM for PC.

Rimm 4200 is faster but they were plag at the start from massive unstability from ASUS mobo due to a cheap power phase.This have change by now.There is 3 mobo that support Rimm4200 EPOX ASUS MSI.

Now what to do??

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sounds like a good deal! What happened was, Asus introduced the board before anyone had memory for it. Well, not too many people bought the board! So to get people to buy it they started offering it packaged with 256MB. That worked, manufacturers started supporting the memory, other board manufacturers joined, memory makers increased production...then everybody decided that RDRAM wasn't worth the extra money and BOOM, the market fell out. This all happened in a very short time frame. If there are more modules out there than they can sell, expect prices to drop.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>