  • Dial Up Connection
Last response: in Brands
Share
June 18, 2005 10:33:45 AM

I have a Bluetooth adapter and I can communicate with my pc without any problem. I have ATT wireless service (haven't paid cingular for the privledge of their billing), but I don't have any sort of media package on my service.
Using the phone itself I can call a dial up provider and the phone seems to connect to the modem on the far end.
If I use hyperterm and try atdt xxxxxxx the phone LCD shows that it is dialing and then after a few seconds the terminal says NO CARRIER and the phone disconnects. If I listen in on the phone during this process, I hear three tones like you hear when you dial a number that doesn't exist.
If I use the dial up connection of the bluetooth directly , I get the same three tones and no connection.
My question is this: Is it possible to get the V600 with ATT service to dial up to an ISP without paying the exorbitant per KB fees?
Has anyone else solved the NO CARRIER problem?
Thanks,
Paul

More about : dialup networking v600

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 4:39:33 PM

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 06:33:45 GMT, astro <astro@nowhere.com> wrote:
>My question is this: Is it possible to get the V600 with ATT service to
>dial up to an ISP without paying the exorbitant per KB fees?

I don't know what AT&T call it, but it sounds like you need to get the
facility to place data calls enabled.

If you tell them it's for a private office network dial-in, it should
"enhance" the point you're not looking for an internet service, else
they'll just steer you to their GPRS instead.

(Thankfully, in the UK that facility now comes as standard, even on
pre-pay lines.)

--
-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell
Eridani Star System

MailStripper - "The easy spam filter."
http://mailstripper.eridani.co.uk/
June 21, 2005 2:24:22 PM

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 06:33:45 GMT, "astro" <astro@nowhere.com> wrote:

>I have a Bluetooth adapter and I can communicate with my pc without any problem. I have ATT wireless service (haven't paid cingular for the privledge of their billing), but I don't have any sort of media package on my service.
>Using the phone itself I can call a dial up provider and the phone seems to connect to the modem on the far end.
>If I use hyperterm and try atdt xxxxxxx the phone LCD shows that it is dialing and then after a few seconds the terminal says NO CARRIER and the phone disconnects. If I listen in on the phone during this process, I hear three tones like you hear when you dial a number that doesn't exist.
>If I use the dial up connection of the bluetooth directly , I get the same three tones and no connection.
>My question is this: Is it possible to get the V600 with ATT service to dial up to an ISP without paying the exorbitant per KB fees?
>Has anyone else solved the NO CARRIER problem?
>Thanks,
>Paul

You can't do what you want the way you are trying. The ISP you are
calling is most likely answering with an analog modem. Your phone is
digital and can't pass the data this way (analog). If you were using
an older AMPs phone, it could. They were analog so there was no
conversion needed.

You need to make the call through a Circuit Switch. Cingular used to
offer circuit switch data. I wasn't able to find anything on their
web site about it now though.

Basically if I have the concept right, you call into the circuit
switch with your computer via the cell phone. The circuit switch
makes a phone call to your ISP and connects. The circuit switch takes
the analog signal from the ISP converts it back into digital data and
transmits to your cell/computer. You don't pay by the byte but you do
for the air time and probably a service fee for using the circuit
switch.

The link below seems to be an old guide on how to set up an Ericsson
T39 phone the way your want. It might shed some light.

http://navasgrp.home.att.net/tech/cingular/csd_setup.ht...

June 22, 2005 2:39:08 AM

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 10:24:22 GMT, Harry <harry@the.end> wrote:
>On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 06:33:45 GMT, "astro" <astro@nowhere.com> wrote:

[rewrapped]
>>I have a Bluetooth adapter and I can communicate with my pc without any
>>problem. I have ATT wireless service (haven't paid cingular for the
>>privledge of their billing), but I don't have any sort of media
>>package on my service. Using the phone itself I can call a dial up
>>provider and the phone seems to connect to the modem on the far end.
>>If I use hyperterm and try atdt xxxxxxx the phone LCD shows that it is
>>dialing and then after a few seconds the terminal says NO CARRIER and
>>the phone disconnects. If I listen in on the phone during this process,
>>I hear three tones like you hear when you dial a number that doesn't
>>exist. If I use the dial up connection of the bluetooth directly , I get
>>the same three tones and no connection.
>>My question is this: Is it possible to get the V600 with ATT service to
>>dial up to an ISP without paying the exorbitant per KB fees?
>>Has anyone else solved the NO CARRIER problem?
>>Thanks,
>>Paul
>

>You can't do what you want the way you are trying. The ISP you are
>calling is most likely answering with an analog modem. Your phone is
>digital and can't pass the data this way (analog). If you were using
>an older AMPs phone, it could. They were analog so there was no
>conversion needed.

On GSM, that shouldn't be a problem. On Orange UK I can make a connection
from my mobile phone to a bog-standard modem - although you can use
the modem init string (at the mobile end) AT+CBST=7,0,1 to force selection
of an analogue service at 9600bps.

--

!