Advice on using Norton Ghost

RobD

Champion
Sorry, it's a long one!

In an earlier post, I mentioned that at work we are replacing the batch of Fujitsu drives that die a horrible death at some point. Basically, when the machine comes back to the office with a dead drive (usually "Drive not ready. System Halted"), a new drive goes in, and if possible, the trashed drive gets cloned over.

The guy who used to do it has legged it for another job, and yours truly took over. No problem thinks I. HA! Wrong!

When the drive is bootable (some are intermittant), then a straight clone using Ghost is possible, using no parameters.

However, when the drive is on the verge of going (heads making nasty noises etc etc), a normal clone doesn't work. The guy luckily left his bootable disk on the workbench, and when I checked the autoexec.bat, it used the following command:

ghost /ia -fro

This works a treat, 100% sucess rate.
However, the problem is, most of the failing drives are 10 or 20 gigs, and the standard drive we are fitting is a 30.

When cloned using this set of parameters, then the new drive has the same size as it's original. So if I clone a 10 to a 30, it becomes a 10 in Windows. Although the users don't know, it really kicks me that I'm wasting a lot of drive space, even though they will never use even 10% of capacity.

I haven't had the time to research the problem (work is mounting up all around me), so if anyone who knows this product can give me some advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Rob.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Before you clone, FDisk it into 2 partitions, a Primary for 10G and extended for the rest of the disk's space.
If your OS is Win2000 or XP, you can reclaim unallocated space by using Disk Management to created a new partition (extended partition), or you can use Partition Magic.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.