what is that noise in my guitar ?

Last response: in Home Audio
December 28, 2004 11:11:23 PM

hello

-pardon my english im french-

i got a very irritating noise that pops up in my guitar amp.

here's my setup :
Fender stratocaester mexico (+10 years old but revised a few months ago)
Park G10 amp (+10 years old, small and cheap 10W amp with no reverb)

i recorded the hiss so that maybe somebody would "recognize" that sound
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/canichesnoirs/hiss.mp3
(beware there's a high gain guitar chord at 09:00)

it's starts and ends abruptly and is around 8000 hz i guess

when i plug the guitar directly to my soundcraft mixboard i got no hiss.
when i got the hiss coming from my amp i can stop it by turning the fender
volume knob to zero.

this is really annoying when recording guitar tracks and is a great time
loss.

i'm living in a appartment. electricity is grounded. i got a fridge but
unplugging it doesn't change much. i tried turning off the computers and
their monitors : same thing. i tried turning off everything but the amp :
same thing, hiss still present.

i can't try an other amp as i don't have any. the Park G10 has ground
connection, so i don't understand. if there's a mod to be done i'd be happy
to know it.

thanks for any help

matthieu

More about : noise guitar

Anonymous
December 28, 2004 11:11:24 PM

Your pick ups are making that noise due to them picling up noise emitted by
monitors, lights, light switches, etc. Try position 2 and 4 on the strat
and see if the noise goes away.

"hiss" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> hello
>
> -pardon my english im french-
>
> i got a very irritating noise that pops up in my guitar amp.
>
> here's my setup :
> Fender stratocaester mexico (+10 years old but revised a few months ago)
> Park G10 amp (+10 years old, small and cheap 10W amp with no reverb)
>
> i recorded the hiss so that maybe somebody would "recognize" that sound
> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/canichesnoirs/hiss.mp3
> (beware there's a high gain guitar chord at 09:00)
>
> it's starts and ends abruptly and is around 8000 hz i guess
>
> when i plug the guitar directly to my soundcraft mixboard i got no hiss.
> when i got the hiss coming from my amp i can stop it by turning the fender
> volume knob to zero.
>
> this is really annoying when recording guitar tracks and is a great time
> loss.
>
> i'm living in a appartment. electricity is grounded. i got a fridge but
> unplugging it doesn't change much. i tried turning off the computers and
> their monitors : same thing. i tried turning off everything but the amp :
> same thing, hiss still present.
>
> i can't try an other amp as i don't have any. the Park G10 has ground
> connection, so i don't understand. if there's a mod to be done i'd be
> happy
> to know it.
>
> thanks for any help
>
> matthieu

Anonymous
December 29, 2004 10:29:26 AM

Sounds like the ground fault I had on pickup one on my les paul. Could be in
guitar pickups, jack, cord or input jack on amp. Or anywhere in the
circuitry.

"Roberto Cerini" <rcerini@coxes.net> wrote in message
> Your pick ups are making that noise due to them picling up noise emitted
> by monitors, lights, light switches, etc. Try position 2 and 4 on the
> strat and see if the noise goes away.
>

> "hiss" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> hello
>>
>> -pardon my english im french-
>>
>> i got a very irritating noise that pops up in my guitar amp.
>>
>> here's my setup :
>> Fender stratocaester mexico (+10 years old but revised a few months ago)
>> Park G10 amp (+10 years old, small and cheap 10W amp with no reverb)
>>
>> i recorded the hiss so that maybe somebody would "recognize" that sound
>> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/canichesnoirs/hiss.mp3
>> (beware there's a high gain guitar chord at 09:00)
>>
>> it's starts and ends abruptly and is around 8000 hz i guess
>>
>> when i plug the guitar directly to my soundcraft mixboard i got no hiss.
>> when i got the hiss coming from my amp i can stop it by turning the
>> fender
>> volume knob to zero.
>>
>> this is really annoying when recording guitar tracks and is a great time
>> loss.
>>
>> i'm living in a appartment. electricity is grounded. i got a fridge but
>> unplugging it doesn't change much. i tried turning off the computers and
>> their monitors : same thing. i tried turning off everything but the amp :
>> same thing, hiss still present.
>>
>> i can't try an other amp as i don't have any. the Park G10 has ground
>> connection, so i don't understand. if there's a mod to be done i'd be
>> happy
>> to know it.
>>
>> thanks for any help
>>
>> matthieu

December 29, 2004 12:38:05 PM

"hiss" <nospam@nospam.com>
> hello
>
> -pardon my english im french-
>
> i got a very irritating noise that pops up in my guitar amp.
>
> here's my setup :
> Fender stratocaester mexico (+10 years old but revised a few months ago)
> Park G10 amp (+10 years old, small and cheap 10W amp with no reverb)
>
> i recorded the hiss so that maybe somebody would "recognize" that sound
> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/canichesnoirs/hiss.mp3
> (beware there's a high gain guitar chord at 09:00)
>
> it's starts and ends abruptly and is around 8000 hz i guess
>
> when i plug the guitar directly to my soundcraft mixboard i got no hiss.
> when i got the hiss coming from my amp i can stop it by turning the fender
> volume knob to zero.
>
> this is really annoying when recording guitar tracks and is a great time
> loss.
>
> i'm living in a appartment. electricity is grounded. i got a fridge but
> unplugging it doesn't change much. i tried turning off the computers and
> their monitors : same thing. i tried turning off everything but the amp :
> same thing, hiss still present.
>
> i can't try an other amp as i don't have any. the Park G10 has ground
> connection, so i don't understand. if there's a mod to be done i'd be
> happy
> to know it.

** 1. You need to look up the word "onomatopoeia".

2. Your Park amp needs to go to a tech, with the strat and lead to show
how him it is oscillating.

.............. Phil
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 12:38:06 PM

Phil Allison wrote:

> 2. Your Park amp needs to go to a tech, with the strat and lead to show
> how him it is oscillating.

Or it could be that the Park amp costs about 30 bucks, new.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 12:38:07 PM

"hiss" <nospam@nospam.com>
> hello
>
> -pardon my english im french-
>
> i got a very irritating noise that pops up in my guitar amp.
>
> here's my setup :
> Fender stratocaester mexico (+10 years old but revised a few months ago)
> Park G10 amp (+10 years old, small and cheap 10W amp with no reverb)
>
> i recorded the hiss so that maybe somebody would "recognize" that sound
> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/canichesnoirs/hiss.mp3
> (beware there's a high gain guitar chord at 09:00)
>
> it's starts and ends abruptly and is around 8000 hz i guess
>
> when i plug the guitar directly to my soundcraft mixboard i got no hiss.
> when i got the hiss coming from my amp i can stop it by turning the fender
> volume knob to zero.
>
> this is really annoying when recording guitar tracks and is a great time
> loss.
>
> i'm living in a appartment. electricity is grounded. i got a fridge but
> unplugging it doesn't change much. i tried turning off the computers and
> their monitors : same thing. i tried turning off everything but the amp :
> same thing, hiss still present.
>
> i can't try an other amp as i don't have any. the Park G10 has ground
> connection, so i don't understand. if there's a mod to be done i'd be
> happy
> to know it.

I used to have a small amp that did this very same thing at higher gain levels,
I found out how to fix it by accident (this was many years before I started to
learn about how sound and gear works). I picked up a used four channel gate and
just for the heck of it plugged it into the chain of my guitar rig. Well, what
do you know, it worked great! I had to play around with it for a while before I
found the right settings but I used it until I got rid the whole rig.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 9:51:20 PM

thanks everyone

i think i'll have to make more test to find out who is guilty : the guitar
or the amp

matthieu
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 11:25:18 PM

>?
>From: bruwhaha58097238@aol.com (Raymond)
>Date: Tue, Dec 28, 2004 10:47 PM
>
>"hiss" <nospam@nospam.com>
>> hello
>>
>> -pardon my english im french-
>>
>> i got a very irritating noise that pops up in my guitar amp.
>>
>> here's my setup :
>> Fender stratocaester mexico (+10 years old but revised a few months ago)
>> Park G10 amp (+10 years old, small and cheap 10W amp with no reverb)
>>
>> i recorded the hiss so that maybe somebody would "recognize" that sound
>> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/canichesnoirs/hiss.mp3
>> (beware there's a high gain guitar chord at 09:00)
>>
>> it's starts and ends abruptly and is around 8000 hz i guess
>>
>> when i plug the guitar directly to my soundcraft mixboard i got no hiss.
>> when i got the hiss coming from my amp i can stop it by turning the fender
>> volume knob to zero.
>>
>> this is really annoying when recording guitar tracks and is a great time
>> loss.
>>
>> i'm living in a appartment. electricity is grounded. i got a fridge but
>> unplugging it doesn't change much. i tried turning off the computers and
>> their monitors : same thing. i tried turning off everything but the amp
>:
>> same thing, hiss still present.
>>
>> i can't try an other amp as i don't have any. the Park G10 has ground
>> connection, so i don't understand. if there's a mod to be done i'd be
>
>> happy
>> to know it.
>
>I used to have a small amp that did this very same thing at higher gain
>levels,
>I found out how to fix it by accident (this was many years before I started
>learn about how sound and gear works). I picked up a used four channel gate
>and
>just for the heck of it plugged it into the chain of my guitar rig. Well,
>what
>do you know, it worked great! I had to play around with it for a while before
>found the right settings but I used it until I got rid the whole rig.

That doesn't get rid of the problem. it only masks it.

Richard H. Kuschel