Dynamic disks?

gaviota

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Can anyone please explain me the advantages and disadvantages of converting my disks to dynamic disks in Windows XP?

I have a 120 GB Western Digital as my boot drive, a 160 GB stripped array made up of 2 Maxtor 80GB D740X in the onboard RAID controller, and an old 40 GB 5400rpm Maxtor drive. I use my PC for video editing, gaming, web surfing and office applications. Will these drives perform better if make them dynamic?

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The advantage of <b><font color=red>Dynamic Disk</b></font color=red> is flexibility.
1. You can create an unlimited numbers of volumes on a disk (although, on Basic disk, extended partition also has abilty to do the same by creating unlimited numbers of logical drives , but they have limited capability such as being used as boot drive).
2. Dynamic disk allows you to make disk configuration changes w/o rebooting.
3. Disk configuration information for dynamic disk is stored in a disk management database in a reserved area on the disk (not in registry). This can make moving disks between computers and recover data from corrupted disks easier.
The disvantage is only Win2000 and XP can see them (earlier version of Windows cannot).
You won't gain any performance by converting to dynamic disks.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.