G

Hello,
I have two ethernet cables, a long one and a short one. The short one works fine, but the long one does not work with my computer. It has worked with other laptops, so I am fairly sure the cable itself is fine - is there anything I can do? Thanks

RealBeast

Titan
I would buy a new CAT5e or 6 cable, a $25-50 foot is under $10.

You might take a very close look at the ends of the one that doesn't work with your computer to see if the wiring color pattern is identical at each end (so a patch cable as opposed to a crossover).

G

The thing is, the cable definitely works. It was working for several months and still works in other laptops, but when plugged into my laptop is not recognised

You don't have many options here. There is nothing you can change software wise on your laptop this is all at the hardware level. There is either something wrong with the cable or the laptop jack. Unless you already have all the tools to cut off and replace the ends on the cable it is cheaper to just buy another cable. If a new cable does not work then you have need to look at the laptop but here too it will be cheaper to replace the laptop than get it fixed.