here is a slow down utility for old dos games that runs in..

Last response: in Video Games
January 22, 2005 6:28:28 PM

hi all...

for years, now, i have been using a tiny program for to slow down old
dos games for my 2400 athlon processor. It is a windows program
that does its magic in the pif file: no more fiddling around with
those awfull command lines in moslow...etc...and other dos-based
slowdown programs!

http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/rridge/

I finally found the homepage for it, here....

README

By Ross Ridge
Public Domain

@(#) MySLOW README 1.1 01/06/24 22:59:54

MySLOW is a public domain utility for slowing down MS-DOS programmes
run
under Window 95, Windows 98 or Window ME. MySLOW is currently in the
early
stages of beta testing. This utility is only recommended for Pentium
or
faster CPUs. It consists of two main components, a Windows Virtual
Device
Driver (VxD) that implements the slowing down of programmes, and a DLL
that
provides a new PIF property sheet page through which the the user can
configure the slow down settings on a per application basis. The
MySLOW VxD
implements basic and advanced slow down techniques which allow it have
great range of effective CPU speeds (from 100% to 0.01%) without making
the
game or application choppy or unresponsive. Settings can be an
accessed in
a familiar and non-intrusive manner using MySLOW's PIF property sheet
extension. This allows settings to be stored in the MS-DOS
application's
PIF file and automatically used whenever the application is run.

BASIC SETTINGS

MySLOW has a fair number of settings that can be changed to both change
the
ammount of slow down that MySLOW provides as well controlling advanced
features that can be used to eliminate jerkiness if necessary.
Currently
the PIF controls provide direct control over the parameters that MySLOW
uses
to slow down progammess. While this gives the user as complete control
as
possible, it means the interface isn't as simple or easy to use as it
could
be. In normal operation MySLOW simply adjusts how Windows schedules
the
MS-DOS application. Windows normally will give the application nearly
100%
of available CPU if it's the foreground task. MySLOW can change this
behaviour and instead will schedule alternating "run" and "sleep"
periods
for the application. To use this mode of operation, select "Run" as
the Run
Mode and "Sleep" as ..........................

ADVANCED SETTINGS

The "Virtualize Timer" checkbox allows MySLOW to virtualize the
hardware
timer if the application tries to use it. Normally Windows will give
full
control of the ..................
Ross Ridge

freestone
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 3:55:43 AM

"freestonew" <freestonew@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelelsen

> for years, now, i have been using a tiny program for to slow down old
> dos games for my 2400 athlon processor.

What's the matter with Mo'Slo DeLuxe?

Google...

--
Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u

Arcana Dragon <this@ress.is.invalid> wrote:
>What's the matter with Mo'Slo DeLuxe?

Well, it's not free for one. It's also a MS-DOS based solution that
doesn't work as well under Windows 95/98/ME. (On the other MySLOW doesn't
work at all under MS-DOS or Window NT/2k/XP.) If you're trying to play
MS-DOS games using Window 95/98/ME I believe you'll find MySLOW a more
reliable and smoother way of slowing them down to playable speeds.

Of course most people trying to play MS-DOS games these days would prefer
to use Windows XP, in that case they're probably better off using DosBox
which solves a large number of compatibility problems.

Ross Ridge

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

Arcana Dragon wrote:

> "freestonew" <freestonew@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelelsen
>
> > for years, now, i have been using a tiny program for to slow down
> > old dos games for my 2400 athlon processor.
>
> What's the matter with Mo'Slo DeLuxe?
>
> Google...

Advertising? not sure.
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 4:17:08 PM

"freestonew" <freestonew@yahoo.com> writes:

> for years, now, i have been using a tiny program for to slow down old
> dos games for my 2400 athlon processor. It is a windows program
> that does its magic in the pif file: no more fiddling around with
> those awfull command lines in moslow...etc...and other dos-based
> slowdown programs!

Or just run in Dosbox.

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 7:26:22 PM

On 23 Jan 2005 13:17:08 +0100, Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
<tor.iver.wilhelmsen@broadpark.no> wrote:

>"freestonew" <freestonew@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> for years, now, i have been using a tiny program for to slow down old
>> dos games for my 2400 athlon processor. It is a windows program
>> that does its magic in the pif file: no more fiddling around with
>> those awfull command lines in moslow...etc...and other dos-based
>> slowdown programs!
>
>Or just run in Dosbox.
>
>http://dosbox.sourceforge.net

and use d-fend , its windows GUI.
http://members.home.nl/mabus/dfend.htm
Currently playing the old buck rogers games with them

Guillaume
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 5:32:15 AM

"Choykw" <no@no.no> skrev i meddelelsen news:41f32a01$1_2@news.tm.net.my:

> Advertising? not sure.

Zat eez for me to know, and for you to find out, glashopper.

--
!