Wifi ap-client list

leokog

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Hi all,
Is it possible to get a list of all available client devices, even if they are not connected to the inquiring access point? I mean, if its possible to list all devices
which are powered on and wifi is switched on and they are in range, to monitor only if they are still present? (like if the client would search for accessible access points)
Is it possible to implement, if there is need for?
wifi direct can discover other clients, but i guess therefore the same SSID has to be configured.

THX for every hint or info

Some commercial ap system have intrusion detection capability that is used to detect and location unauthorized AP and clients. The way they do this is look for beacon and probe messages.

The only way I know how to do this in a way a normal person can afford is to use a command called airodump-ng. This is part of the group of tools called aircrack. Unfortunately microsoft thinks they can stop hackers by just not supporting certain option. The easy way to get this is to get a copy of the backtrack 5 DVD. It is bootable system that can run 100% off the DVD with no install if you want. You would have to read the list of supported wireless cards to be sure you get one. Since you are not intending to crack wep the number of cards that support promiscuous mode is much larger than the ones that support injection which is needed for attacking things.

leokog

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Thx bill001g

You are right i want to do this from a linux box and dont want to crack any net. I guess there is the sourcecode of backtrack available, i will have a look and give it a try.
If anyone could share a link to documentation of calling these functions (from c) or any other further documentation about wifi and implementation I would be very grateful.

Thx leokog

All backtrack is is a ubuntu image with all the tools preloaded. I just like it because it is designed to do disk forensics so you can boot it from the dvd without affecting you current machine. It has a install option.

The aircrack tools can be installed on any linux if you want.

Link most unix things you should be able to run the airodump-ng with a script. It already has a bunch of command filter options. Its default operation is to capture data and display all the devices it can find but it will also write these lists to files if you want.

leokog

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Hi

I tried kismet already on my fedora box and will install aircrack-ng, but first I have to look if there are some packages around. I've Ubuntu boxes as well but without wifi. I downloaded the backtrack image over night so i can check it out today.
Thx for replying