Might & Magic 6 Help! Moving and Fighting???

Last response: in Video Games
January 22, 2005 11:10:36 PM

Hi,
You will not believe it when you hear my questions, but I have played
many RPG games. I don't have a playing manual for MM6 and am wondering
if I have to move by using the 4 arrow keys, please tell me there is
another way because it's brutal to control my party that way. In
addition, apparently the battles are in real time, but once they start
I do not know who the hell is fighting who or in what order, and do not
know if I need to be pressing the left mouse button to make my guy or
other members use their weapons. Basic stuff I know, but I gave up
trying and came here to throw myself on the mercy of your knowledge!
Thanks much, please enlighten me.
Tucsonjim

More about : magic moving fighting

Anonymous
January 23, 2005 1:19:15 PM

Hit the shift or enter key, I dont remember which, and it changes to turn
based mode.Hit it again and things return to real time.

Here is an extra tip, get everyone bows asap. THey come with an endlesss
supply of arows and you can just stay back and mow the enemy down.

After you get used to it it works really well.

Oh yes, if you hit the A key on your keyboard everyone uses their physical
weapons, if you hit some other key.
I dont remembeer what it is right now, S? the fighters use theu physical
weapons and the magic users use their spells-either the ones you set in
before the battle or the one you changed to during the battle when theit
turn comes up.

I think its interesting how much seeing the world straight on through the
characters eyes diisoriwnts you. Isn't that how we all see the real world,
or have yu figured out a way to see the real world from above, like in BG.?

MM6 is one of the all time best roleplaying games but it can be complicated.
Only some characters can learn certian skills so you have to plan your party
carefully.
You need at the very least someone who can fight and wear heavy armor,
someone who can heal. and someone who can cast attact spells.Thievieng
ability hels too.

I play 2 archers, a cleric, and a soecerer myself but for a newbe I wouls
recommend knight, archer, cleric, and sorcerer.That covers about everything
you need.

Also, hire a gatemaster as soon as you can. It makes the game tremendously
easier until you can get your own water magic up hight enough to learn the
gatemaster spell.

Also, a few anti poision bottles or scrolls wont hurt whrn you do the spider
dungeon.

Finally, Nilbog is golblin spelled backwards and the eye is in the well. You
might not have anyway of knowing that without the manual.

After 6 be sure and do 7 and 8. Dont bother with 9 unless
you are really, really esperate.

,

"tucsonjim" <jim@kanewebdesign.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> You will not believe it when you hear my questions, but I have played
> many RPG games. I don't have a playing manual for MM6 and am wondering
> if I have to move by using the 4 arrow keys, please tell me there is
> another way because it's brutal to control my party that way. In
> addition, apparently the battles are in real time, but once they start
> I do not know who the hell is fighting who or in what order, and do not
> know if I need to be pressing the left mouse button to make my guy or
> other members use their weapons. Basic stuff I know, but I gave up
> trying and came here to throw myself on the mercy of your knowledge!
> Thanks much, please enlighten me.
> Tucsonjim

Anonymous
January 25, 2005 8:45:31 PM

Thanks for the help Patrick, cleared up a lot. One other question -

Can you please tell me if I move my party by using the 4 arrow keys? Is
there any another way, because it is so hard (impossible?) to make
small changes with the left and right arrow keys, when I just touch
them it almost
turns the party 90 degrees?
Thanks again
Tucsonjim

Patrick Pierson wrote:
> [...]
> > Hi,
> > You will not believe it when you hear my questions, but I have
played
> > many RPG games. I don't have a playing manual for MM6 and am
wondering
> > if I have to move by using the 4 arrow keys, please tell me there
is
> > another way because it's brutal to control my party that way. In
> > addition, apparently the battles are in real time, but once they
start
> > I do not know who the hell is fighting who or in what order, and do
not
> > know if I need to be pressing the left mouse button to make my guy
or
> > other members use their weapons. Basic stuff I know, but I gave up
> > trying and came here to throw myself on the mercy of your

January 26, 2005 6:22:57 AM

On 25 Jan 2005 17:45:31 -0800, "tucsonjim" <jim@kanewebdesign.com>
wrote:

>Thanks for the help Patrick, cleared up a lot. One other question -
>
>Can you please tell me if I move my party by using the 4 arrow keys? Is
>there any another way, because it is so hard (impossible?) to make
>small changes with the left and right arrow keys, when I just touch
>them it almost
>turns the party 90 degrees?
>Thanks again
>Tucsonjim

In the game options, turn on smooth turning (or something like that.
I forget the exact name.) The default is an option that was for slow
systems, but makes the controls a lot harder on modern fast systems.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 7:18:43 PM

Hi Drocket,
That did it, what a difference...phew, thanks much! Can you imagine
how much help people like you and so many others have given over
the years, sure has done a lot to keep the fun in gaming.
Tucsonjim
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 7:31:54 PM

Hi Gabriele,
Yes I was able to change the rotation rate in the options settings,
thank you.

Straffing using the Ctrl key is a great tip, thanks again. But, this
one
sounds really nasty, I'm worried that it might not be legal. :-)
I don't want them goblins crying foul, and I don't want to listen to
them whining,
I just want to hear that sound they make as they're hitting the deck!
Tucsonjim
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 9:29:43 PM

On that special day, tucsonjim, (jim@kanewebdesign.com) said...

> when I just touch
> them it almost
> turns the party 90 degrees?

I think you can change the rotation rate in the game options settings.

I've got a useful hint for you: You can strafe in this game. It involves
keeping the left Ctrl key down and using the movement keys. I used that
for a specific ranged attack. To fire volleys of arrows onto the packs,
I kept the ctrl key down with one of my left fingers, moved the party
with the right hand, and fired along with my left thumb hitting the
space bar. It needs some coordination, but works.

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 8:45:01 PM

"Patrick Pierson" <brindle1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:D SKId.7995$rp1.5674@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...

> I think its interesting how much seeing the world straight on through the
> characters eyes diisoriwnts you. Isn't that how we all see the real world,

Yes, but in the real world we usually have directional cues (at least when
outdoors) such as where the sun is and which way the shadows go. In the
Might and Magic games those cues aren't there. I always get disoriented in
MM6/7/8 as far as direction is concerned.

Love the games anyway, though! I'm replaying MM7 right now.

[ . . . ]

> After 6 be sure and do 7 and 8. Dont bother with 9 unless
> you are really, really esperate.

Yes. What a mess 9 is. I gave up on it in disgust. I may go back and
complete it one of these days anyway, but it sure is a shame that they had
to bring that bug-ridden, half-finished game to market. I guess with the
financial pressures on 3DO/NWC they had no choice, but still it's a shame.

N.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 1:45:43 AM

Hi Nostrobino,
I have MM 6-9 and am playing 6 now and will play 7 and 8 but not 9.
I've heard from
so many people about 9 (including you) that I won't go near it. When
I'm through
with the MM's I'm going to FF7 which I heard was a great game.

By the way can you tell me where in MM6 I can buy a crossbow? I know I
should search it
out myself but I just don't want to spend a lot of time looking for a
crossbow in towns
that don't have them. I want to buy them for my whole party ASAP.
Thanks
Tucsonjim
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 8:03:53 PM

On that special day, tucsonjim, (jim@kanewebdesign.com) said...

> By the way can you tell me where in MM6 I can buy a crossbow? I know I
> should search it
> out myself but I just don't want to spend a lot of time looking for a
> crossbow in towns
> that don't have them. I want to buy them for my whole party ASAP.

Better fight the goblins one by one, and collect the loot. After some
time, you'll get crossbows for free. And if you are using them, be
careful that there aren't any town inhabitants in the background, not
even half a mile away. One arrow or bolt that whizzes by them; and
they'll be after you, for attacking them.

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 6:20:13 PM

In news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, "tucsonjim" <jim@kanewebdesign.com>
posted on 29 Jan 2005 19:40:14 -0800:

> Actually they're not just goblins but rather I think they're
> goblins, goblin shamen, and goblin kings, the last two throw fire
> balls from way far away!
>
> Any suggestions?

I haven't played that one, but I know what you're going through. Some of
the PC RPGs seem to start you out with monsters from the end of the game,
and they make gold and cure/heal-type potions so hard to come by that
you're constantly stressed out over whether any of your party will survive.

I love RPGs, but only certain kinds. I've been playing Morrowind, and I
can already tell I'm not going to like it. I like a menu-based battle
system. To me, that's what makes it an RPG. So far, the few battles I've
experienced in Morrowind have been more like action sequences. Whoever can
click the mouse button and access the proper weapons the fastest wins the
game! I just can't stand playing like that.

Damaeus
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 11:35:44 PM

On that special day, tucsonjim, (jim@kanewebdesign.com) said...

> I knocked off a lot of them by drawing one or two from the pack, but
> now they
> don't fall for it, instead they wait until I get close and then try to
> swarm me,

So already got some of them down? Try to circle the places they are in,
and attack from a different spot, where there are more of the normal
goblins closer to you. Don't attack the goblins near the castle before
having reached level 5, there are too many kings. Try the apprentices
before (south of the port). Try to get bows or crossbows (I believe the
bows are better) for a single ranged attack, which will make some of
them come towards you, strafe, wait for them to come into proper range,
then fire away.

It isn't easy in the beginning. The first goblins to be killed should be
those near town, then those close to the bridge. If you are lucky, you
can get a bridge rail between them and you, and still attack them, which
makes it easier. Next are some goblins from the area beyond the
mountain, the outer portion, one by one. Then try the apprentices. The
goblins near the castle in the south west need quite some experience,
the core of the goblin camp beyond the mountain, too.

You won't believe it, but there are even very nasty goblin shamen on the
isles in the sea. You can meet them only later in the game, when your
mage or priest have acquired the water walk spell. Still, they can be
hard to kill.

Theoretically, you could turn the game into a turn based strategy game,
by hitting the Enter key. The problem is: you can't move from the spot
you are currently standing on, while the monsters will walk where they
like. So melee will be a problem. 3DO solved this problem in the later
games, where you are allowed to walk a certain distance within each
round, but somehow failed to implement it in MM6.

Still, it is a nice game; I did it twice. Have fun,

!