Wireless keeps dropping [Win 7 V1000H]

digitaljuice

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Hello tomshardware, ive been having an issue lately with my wireless connectivity at home. We recently moved and Im using a V1000H from telus for my wireless network. Wired connections are fine but wirelessly my connection keeps dropping every few minutes for a few minutes and then comes back on its own. However I only have 1 laptop to test with and my cell phone which doesnt seem to be exhibiting the same problem as my laptop. I've tried formatting the laptop twice with 32 and 64bit windows and it still happens. ive tried many drivers and tried to disable any power management options that the laptop has and the wireless nic has. Ive changed the channel on my wifi and the security as well but to no help. It was working the first day we had it setup just fine and then the next day it started dropping. The signal strength is always 4-5 bars as im just in the next room from my wifi. Ive also tried using a dlink router as an access point and disabling the wifi on the v1000h but had the same issue. Anyone have any ideas? T_T
thanks

also the laptop im using is a sony vgn-ns330d with windows 7 32bit atm but i was previously using 64bit. The wireless nic is Atheros AR928x 10.0.0.75

digitaljuice

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
basically new equipment, the laptop isnt old at all and I just got a new router from telus. Ive also changed the band over and tried changing the channels down to 1 at first and then up to 11 now and it still is happening. It was all working fine before I moved and the day after it was installed in our new place and then it just started out of the blue. :(

There are things that can interfere with a wireless signal such as microwaves , high speed kitchen appliences, Tvs and that's just inside the house. Outside there can be radio towers nearby of high tension electrical lines all which can play into intereference of the wireless signal. So having stated that you just moved , you could have moved into an area of higher interference. I don't know how good of a router it is that you got from your ISP but either ask for a newer one or get a better quality router yourself.
The fact that your internet service is just fine when connected by wire suggests that the wireless signal from the router is the problem and if there is nothing that your ISP can do then your stuck with limited options.

digitaljuice

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
also i should mention that if i start a large download (lets say a few hundred megs) in chrome, the wireless will not disconnect the entire time while the download is running but after its done it will resume dcing every few minutes.

also ive tried setting up an older dlink router as an AP for the router I reiceved from my ISP (which previously worked fine before for a day at the new location) and it has the same issue