Dumb question, but will ask anyway: Signal strength proble..

I gave up on the installation of the MN-700 router because I thought it was
taking down the modem. So I reverted to my .11b router. But today the
modem went down on it's own. I called tech control who said I had a weak
signal and would send someone out on Tuesday. About 5 hours later the modem
came back up on it's own. So now I am wondering if a weak signal to the
modem would also effect the MN-700 router. Obviously it did. So now I am
back online and will wait till the service tech comes to the house to
measure the signal strength. If he can boost the signal, do I assume the
router will function correctly? From what I've read here, I was blaming my
problems on the router.

If your modem (cable or DSL) was not working properly then I would think
that most of the things on your side of the modem would be affected
adversely. However, the signal strength of the wireless router doesn't have
anything to do with whether or not the router is connected (well or
otherwise) to anything! I presume your signal strength problems were
surmised by looking at the little green indicator on the client PC?
sometimes just altering the orientation of the router's external antenna
will make a difference in the signal quality and coverage.

By all means try the router again once you have your modem/line sorted out,
but I would look more at the location and orientation of the router as a
contributing factor.

HTH