Old XP back over 98 & new XP?

G

I know the proper order for making a dual-boot system is installing 98 and THEN XP, but I've already had XP installed for about half a year and don't particularly want to go through the reformatting and reinstalling and having to set all my settings again (nevermind installing everything over) to get 98 back. So, my question is, would it be possible to do this:

- Copy all the WinXP files from C:\Windows and archive them on CD or something
- Format & set up the new partitions (with Partition Magic or whatever)
- Install 98
- Install XP
- Copy the C:\Windows files from the first XP over the new XP, restoring all my original settings?

If this actually works, I'm guessing stuff like registry problems would (hopefully) be skirted since the settings would be restored when I copied them back over. So what do you guys think?

I ask because I have a music composing program that only works in 9x, not XP, so I'd like to have its use again. :)

m19

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
After so many reinstalls, you kinda just reinstate settings automatically. I wonder if I can do it in my sleep... :smile:

Anyways, if you're gonna reformat everything and set up new partitions, you might as well take the extra time to redo your settings. If you want to try this, after your install Windows XP, I'd make a restore point in case something goes awry. Either that, or create an image of your Windows XP install with Drive Image or Norton Ghost.

But, about that music composing program: is there any way you can run it in compatibility mode set to Windows 98? You might wanna look into that perhaps...

<font color=red><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A> - My Windows XP-based Website</font color=red>

G

Nope. ;) It's been pretty much beaten to death that it needs 9x/DOS to run, so I'm pretty much dependent on 9x for it to work. However, I did find this page (http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm) and it looks like exactly what I need.

m19