Tascam DM 24 Help needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tascam is running a I/O card special between now and the end of the
year for the DM 24. I have an Alesis HD-24 and am thinking about
purchasing one. A few questions:

1. Since it is my understanding that the onboard memory only supports 8
songs at a time, has anyone used the bulk dump function for saving song
automation information and what type of hardware do you need to perform
it? Could I use my M-Audio FW-410 as an interface to dump the DM 24
midi files into my computer? IOW, DM24 midi'd into FW-410 firewire into
my FW equipped laptop? I also have a JL Cooper DataSync 2.

2. With the factory installed lightpipe card plus 2 additional
lightpipe I/O cards, anyone anticipate any problems getting in and out?

3. What is your overall opinion of the DM 24 as an automated mixer
first and DAW controller second, considering the price range?

4. Is there a separate manual that describes automation functions? The
pdf owners manual says on page 19 that there is. I have not been able
to locate one on the Tascam website and the one I'm thinking about
buying is a store floor model (lost manuals)

I would appreciate any support as the card special is only good for a
couple of more days.

Peakester

peakester@earthlink.net wrote:
> Tascam is running a I/O card special between now and the end of the
> year for the DM 24. I have an Alesis HD-24 and am thinking about
> purchasing one. A few questions:
>
> 1. Since it is my understanding that the onboard memory only supports
8
> songs at a time, has anyone used the bulk dump function for saving
song
> automation information and what type of hardware do you need to
perform
> it? Could I use my M-Audio FW-410 as an interface to dump the DM 24
> midi files into my computer? IOW, DM24 midi'd into FW-410 firewire
into
> my FW equipped laptop? I also have a JL Cooper DataSync 2.
>
> 2. With the factory installed lightpipe card plus 2 additional
> lightpipe I/O cards, anyone anticipate any problems getting in and
out?

> 3. What is your overall opinion of the DM 24 as an automated mixer
> first and DAW controller second, considering the price range?
>
> 4. Is there a separate manual that describes automation functions?
The
> pdf owners manual says on page 19 that there is. I have not been able
> to locate one on the Tascam website and the one I'm thinking about
> buying is a store floor model (lost manuals)
>
> I would appreciate any support as the card special is only good for a
> couple of more days.
>
> Peakester

I have the DM24, the HD24, and thre DataSync2. I have a second adat
card installed in the dm24 for 16 adat in as I basically just use it
for live in that way. I have synced it up with no problems whatsoever.
There were some problems between the two with early os versions of the
HD-24 but those were resolved. I don't use the automation but I am
sure your manual covers dumping those as a midi data dump.

The place to go for a lot more info on this is
http://www.tascamforums.com

All these questions have been covered in detail
Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com

1. It should work, go to http://www.tascamforums.com and ask

2. It works great, I am using a DM24 with 3 ADATs.

3. As a mixer it is great, the EQ is very flexible and sounds great,
the routing is fine, mic pres are adequate although the gain pots are a
strange taper. I am using a seperate monitor mixer (using the DM24 as
playback mixer only) and do not have this issue, but you will want to
analyze how the DM24 will work in a monitor situation and whether there
will be latency. I am not using it as a DAW controller.

4. All the manuals are at
http://www.tascamcontractor.com/ftp_resources/files/manual/index.html

I don't have the answers to your questions but I would like to ask you
some...we are looking at this unit vs. the Yamaha 01V96 and was wondering if
you can comment (perhaps privately or in another thread) about the Tascam
and what you think so far. The Yamaha is almost $1K more but the feature set
is about the same. Both have 8 fully configurable pre- or post-fader Aux
Sends (very important in the environment the unit will be used in). The
Tascam unit has onboard effects by Antares and TC Works which are both well
regarded in the DX/VST plug-in world, so it seems to be the better deal,
considering the price. Not sure what the Yamaha would offer that would
justify the large price difference.

-Ben

<< peakester@earthlink.net >>
<< 1. Since it is my understanding that the onboard memory only supports 8
songs at a time, has anyone used the bulk dump function for saving song
automation information and what type of hardware do you need to perform
it? Could I use my M-Audio FW-410 as an interface to dump the DM 24
midi files into my computer? IOW, DM24 midi'd into FW-410 firewire into
my FW equipped laptop? I also have a JL Cooper DataSync 2. >>

The Dm24 has a built in midi interface for dumping mixes off, for upgrading
sofware, etc. If your M-Audio interface has a fully functioning Midi interface
it *should* work theoretically, although some audio w/midi interfaces do have
problems working as midi interface. Dunno about the FW-410.

<< 2. With the factory installed lightpipe card plus 2 additional
lightpipe I/O cards, anyone anticipate any problems getting in and out? >>

Should work fine. But because of how the Mixer is configured, if you fill
one of the empty slots with an analog I/O card and use some kind of ADAT to
TDIF converter (or go analog) for one ADAT connection you can have 60 inputs on
mixdown, without the analog card you will be limited to 52 inputs on mixdown.
You can use all of your analog inputs on mixdown, but only *3* digital input
blocks, whether ADAT, TDIF or Firewire (with the new IF/FW-DM firewire card.)

The lack of analog outputs if you want to use insert/outboard effects is a
major consideration, as you only have 4 assignable sends (and returns). The
analog I/O card gives you 8 more outputs (and 8 more analog ins), and as you
only have 2 expansion slots I would seriously consider getting one of those,
and not 2 ADAT cards.

<< 3. What is your overall opinion of the DM 24 as an automated mixer
first and DAW controller second, considering the price range? >>

I think it's a good deal for a decent sounding automated mixer. Using as a
controller can be confusing and requires a bit of manual reading, the thing has
a bit of a learning curve but the guys at www.tascamforums.com are a friendly
and helpful bunch (and no political BS, death threats and trolling allowed on
moderated forums, unlike RAP.)

<< 4. Is there a separate manual that describes automation functions? The
pdf owners manual says on page 19 that there is. I have not been able
to locate one on the Tascam website and the one I'm thinking about
buying is a store floor model (lost manuals)

I would appreciate any support as the card special is only good for a
couple of more days. >>

Yes. Beside the link that Scott supplied there are midi mixer templates
for cubase/Nuendo/Logic etc, software upgrades and notes available at the
Tascam website, they're pretty good about that.

http://www.tascam.com/Products/DM24_downloads.html

As an aside, with the IF/FW-DM firewire card installed, you can get 24
channels of I/O between your DAW over a single firewire cable, - this is my
current setup. Not one the free cards they are offering in the promotion
though.

On the MAC it works great out of the box (req. OS10.3.5), but users find PC
installation a pain in the butt and a bit problematic. Logic 7 users who are
trying to work at 48k cannot get it to work at that sample rate, but apparently
they are having trouble with Logic 7 at 48k a lot, this is apparently a Logic
problem, not a Tascam Firewire card problem.

HTH.

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Audio Guy / Fox News

WillStG wrote:
> [...]
is my
> current setup. Not one the free cards they are offering in the
promotion
> though.
>
> On the MAC it works great out of the box (req. OS10.3.5), but
users find PC
> installation a pain in the butt and a bit problematic. Logic 7 users
who are
> trying to work at 48k cannot get it to work at that sample rate, but
apparently
> they are having trouble with Logic 7 at 48k a lot, this is apparently
a Logic
> problem, not a Tascam Firewire card problem.
>
> HTH.
>

> Will Miho
> NY Music & TV Audio Guy
> Audio Guy / Fox News
> "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits
Thanks. Excellent info.
Peakester

Ben Hanson wrote:
> I don't have the answers to your questions but I would like to ask
you
> some...we are looking at this unit vs. the Yamaha 01V96 and was
wondering if
> you can comment (perhaps privately or in another thread) about the
Tascam
> and what you think so far. The Yamaha is almost $1K more but the
feature set
> is about the same. Both have 8 fully configurable pre- or post-fader
Aux
> Sends (very important in the environment the unit will be used in).
The
> Tascam unit has onboard effects by Antares and TC Works which are
both well
> regarded in the DX/VST plug-in world, so it seems to be the better
deal,
> considering the price. Not sure what the Yamaha would offer that
would
> justify the large price difference.

Ben,

I can tell you the original O1V did not enjoy a very good
reputation
as working well, at least according to salesguys I have spoken to. And

the O1V96 is marketed as a "16 Channel 4 bus mixer", by comparison the

DM24 is a "32 track 8 buss mixer", although with 2.10 software it can
have *60 inputs* on mixdown with an analog expansion card, and track
24 tracks Direct/Bussed to your recorder. They figure the 60 inputs as
16 analog +
the 8 analog on the expansion card (24) , 3 digital tape return blocks
of 8
TDIF/ADAT/or FW (24), 4 assignable analog returns, 4 channels of
Spdif/AES in,
and the 4 Internal Reverb/FX returns direct to stereo (12), so
24+24+12=60.
You can't apply all channel processing (eq,comp,gating) to all 60
inputs of
course, just 32, but you can get them all into your stereo buss. I
don't think
the 01V96 can come close to that many inputs or busses.

It also does surround mixing, will do 96k (albeit only 16 tracks in
SMUX
mode), has GPI triggers, TC Reverbs, you can cascade two of them
together,
has a post ADC pre Channel Direct out mode for recording while mixing
live events,
has HUI emulation/MIDI layers, and more.

I got mine at a good price used, upgraded the software and added
the firewire
card. One of my better choices in gear I think, and I'm liking it with
Nuendo 2.2.

HTH,

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio / Fox News

Hi Will, the 01V96 has 8 mix busses and 8 Aux busses. The DM24 only has 6
Aux busses. The Yamaha is expandable as well with the dozen or so different
add-on cards available for it. The only reason I know all this is cause I
started researching both consoles while everything was quiet around the
office this week, and spoke to both companies. In addition, Aviom makes an
expansion card for the Yamaha that feeds their personal monitoring system,
which we are also buying. Pretty sweet hook up. One single CAT5 network
cable carries 16 channels of digital audio (in any combination of outputs,
aux/mix busses, etc.) to feed their 16 channel personal mixers. Can't wait
to get my hands on it all. As far as I can tell the DSP capabilities of the
Yamaha are greater as well but haven't tested them yet...

-Ben

In article <41d4ae1b$1@mustang.speedfactory.net> transparency_76@hotmail.com writes:

> Hi Will, the 01V96 has 8 mix busses and 8 Aux busses. The DM24 only has 6
> Aux busses. The Yamaha is expandable as well with the dozen or so different
> add-on cards available for it.

The thing you have to watch out and plan carefully for with the Yamaha
consoles is that, while there are lots of accessories for it, there
are only so many accessory card slots. I trust you're aware of this
and that there will be enough slots available for the combination of
I/O that you want. One Aviom monitor means 8 or 16 fewer inputs or
outputs for recording or mixing.

It's a very flexible system with lots of potential, but it isn't
indefinitey expandable.

Hey Mike. I did think of this and one thing I really like much better about
the Tascam is that it has 2 expansion bays instead of the Yamaha's one (I
think it only has one, just leafing through the manual only noticed one).
For the time being the stock config plus the Aviom card will be perfect but
when we switch back to acoustic drums (currently using V-drums) then we will
need some more XLR inputs and at that point we will indeed be out of room.

One really handy thing that Aviom makes is an ADAT to RJ45 convertor, which
can then be plugged into their gear. So we can use the onboard ADAT on the
Yamaha to shuttle out 8 channels of audio to the Aviom gear via the
convertor if and when we need that slot for some additional inputs (or the
card that lets us daisy chain two of the 01V96's together!).

Really the more I read about the Aviom system the more I realize how well
though out it is, and how no other players in the personal mixer market for
systems their size (16 channels) is even anywhere near the same ballpark. I
should be getting the gear this week, I hope!

-Ben

Scott S. wrote:
> 1. It should work, go to http://www.tascamforums.com and ask
>
> 2. It works great, I am using a DM24 with 3 ADATs.
>
> 3. As a mixer it is great, the EQ is very flexible and sounds great,
> the routing is fine, mic pres are adequate although the gain pots are
> strange taper. I am using a seperate monitor mixer (using the DM24
as
> playback mixer only) and do not have this issue, but you will want to
> analyze how the DM24 will work in a monitor situation and whether
there
> will be latency. I am not using it as a DAW controller.
>
> 4. All the manuals are at
> http://www.tascamcontractor.com/ftp_resources/files/manual/index.html

The contractor site is excellent. I have downloaded and printed all the
manuals for the DM-24. Thanks

>"Ben Hanson" <transparency...@hotmail.com> -
>Hi Will, the 01V96 has 8 mix busses and 8 Aux busses. The DM24 only
has 6
>Aux busses. The Yamaha is expandable as well with the dozen or so
different
>add-on cards available for it. The only reason I know all this is
cause I
>started researching both consoles while everything was quiet around
the
office this week, and spoke to both companies. In addition, >Aviom
makes an
expansion card for the Yamaha that feeds their personal monitoring
system,
>which we are also buying. Pretty sweet hook up. One single CAT5
network
>cable carries 16 channels of digital audio (in any combination of
outputs,
aux/mix busses, etc.) to feed their 16 channel personal mixers. >Can't
wait
to get my hands on it all. As far as I can tell the DSP capabilities of
the
Yamaha are greater as well but haven't tested them yet...>

Well a nice feature of the DM24 is the cascade feature, so you
can gang a pair of them together and make a big mixer with around 112
Inputs on mixdown! And the DM24 Firewire card option does give you 24
channels of I/O over firewire with your Mac or PC, so if you want to
add processing you could do that in your computer. Makes a nice
interface really, and they are cheap enough on blowout and used I am
considering maybe adding that second one at some point.

More aux sends would be nice though - guess you could do some of that
in your DAW if you had low enough latency.

Cheers,

Just caught a preview of the press announcements regarding the
Tascam DM24 planned for NAMM this week, on the Tascam Forum.

" The new IF-W01 expansion card brings the power of the Tascam
GigaPulse convoluted reverb to DM-24 owners in "free-standing" format.
Requiring one full expansion slot GigaPulse is available on auxillary 5
& 6 using the latest version 4 software. Alternatively in MAE mode,
three independent instances can be used as channel/group inserts. This
should be particularly useful for orchestral and surround sound
applications.

" Tascam are also proud to announce the release of Version 4.01 of
the DM-24 software. New features include 16 new MIDI layer memories
where any control on the DM-24 (faders, buttons, POD & transport) can
be assigned to any MIDI function and recalled instantly using a hotkey
combination (2ndF LIB SEL). Surround sound mixing has also been
improved with 6 new surround sound autopan modes. Channel fader "pairs"
can optionally be assigned to front/rear & left/right modes with aux 4
controlling LFE level.

" A second mode has been added to the Autotune speaker/mic modeller. In
a surprising collaboration between Focusrite, IK Multimedia and Antares
a new "Liquid" DSP algorithm is available via Antares. As well as
support for the respected Amplitube guitar modelling, several of the
microphone models from the Liquid channel have been made available;
including Focusrite red, Neve 8832 and Avalot. Alternativley 4
instances of Autotune can be assigned (2 instances in 96Khz mode).
Lastly, 96Khz support is finally provided for the IF-FWDM interface is
also included, available for all 24/24 i/o channels simultaneouly.
Only computer IEE1394 based interfaces using the Texas chipset have
been tested. No support for NEC chips is provided.

Diane Gershuny Fleming
TASCAM · 7733 Telegraph Road · Montebello, CA 90640 "

Right now you do need a short firewire cable (7') or a repeater to
work at 48K in V3 software reliably. Hopefully less of an issue in V4.

The press release quoted below that was posted on the Tascam Forums
is BOGUS. Diane Gershuny Fleming from Tascam whose name was "signed"
on the supposed release has confirmed that it is a forgery of her
writing, and that the information about a V4 software release and DM24
Gigapulse card being announced at NAMM is totally untrue.

It is never cool to sign other people's names to stuff you just make
up - although some here seem to tolerate it - but I am sorry for my
name being part of this fiction.

So again, the DM24 rumors based on that forged document are untrue.

Will Miho
NY Music and TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio / Fox News / M-AES
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away..."
Ton Waits