Tascam DM 24 Help needed!

Tascam is running a I/O card special between now and the end of the
year for the DM 24. I have an Alesis HD-24 and am thinking about
purchasing one. A few questions:

1. Since it is my understanding that the onboard memory only supports 8
songs at a time, has anyone used the bulk dump function for saving song
automation information and what type of hardware do you need to perform
it? Could I use my M-Audio FW-410 as an interface to dump the DM 24
midi files into my computer? IOW, DM24 midi'd into FW-410 firewire into
my FW equipped laptop? I also have a JL Cooper DataSync 2.

2. With the factory installed lightpipe card plus 2 additional
lightpipe I/O cards, anyone anticipate any problems getting in and out?

3. What is your overall opinion of the DM 24 as an automated mixer
first and DAW controller second, considering the price range?

4. Is there a separate manual that describes automation functions? The
pdf owners manual says on page 19 that there is. I have not been able
to locate one on the Tascam website and the one I'm thinking about
buying is a store floor model (lost manuals)

I would appreciate any support as the card special is only good for a
couple of more days.

Peakester
13 answers Last reply
More about tascam needed

    peakester@earthlink.net wrote:
    > Tascam is running a I/O card special between now and the end of the
    > year for the DM 24. I have an Alesis HD-24 and am thinking about
    > purchasing one. A few questions:
    >
    > 1. Since it is my understanding that the onboard memory only supports
    8
    > songs at a time, has anyone used the bulk dump function for saving
    song
    > automation information and what type of hardware do you need to
    perform
    > it? Could I use my M-Audio FW-410 as an interface to dump the DM 24
    > midi files into my computer? IOW, DM24 midi'd into FW-410 firewire
    into
    > my FW equipped laptop? I also have a JL Cooper DataSync 2.
    >
    > 2. With the factory installed lightpipe card plus 2 additional
    > lightpipe I/O cards, anyone anticipate any problems getting in and
    out?

    > 3. What is your overall opinion of the DM 24 as an automated mixer
    > first and DAW controller second, considering the price range?
    >
    > 4. Is there a separate manual that describes automation functions?
    The
    > pdf owners manual says on page 19 that there is. I have not been able
    > to locate one on the Tascam website and the one I'm thinking about
    > buying is a store floor model (lost manuals)
    >
    > I would appreciate any support as the card special is only good for a
    > couple of more days.
    >
    > Peakester

    I have the DM24, the HD24, and thre DataSync2. I have a second adat
    card installed in the dm24 for 16 adat in as I basically just use it
    for live in that way. I have synced it up with no problems whatsoever.
    There were some problems between the two with early os versions of the
    HD-24 but those were resolved. I don't use the automation but I am
    sure your manual covers dumping those as a midi data dump.

    The place to go for a lot more info on this is
    http://www.tascamforums.com

    All these questions have been covered in detail
    Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com

    1. It should work, go to http://www.tascamforums.com and ask

    2. It works great, I am using a DM24 with 3 ADATs.

    3. As a mixer it is great, the EQ is very flexible and sounds great,
    the routing is fine, mic pres are adequate although the gain pots are a
    strange taper. I am using a seperate monitor mixer (using the DM24 as
    playback mixer only) and do not have this issue, but you will want to
    analyze how the DM24 will work in a monitor situation and whether there
    will be latency. I am not using it as a DAW controller.

    4. All the manuals are at
    http://www.tascamcontractor.com/ftp_resources/files/manual/index.html

    I don't have the answers to your questions but I would like to ask you
    some...we are looking at this unit vs. the Yamaha 01V96 and was wondering if
    you can comment (perhaps privately or in another thread) about the Tascam
    and what you think so far. The Yamaha is almost $1K more but the feature set
    is about the same. Both have 8 fully configurable pre- or post-fader Aux
    Sends (very important in the environment the unit will be used in). The
    Tascam unit has onboard effects by Antares and TC Works which are both well
    regarded in the DX/VST plug-in world, so it seems to be the better deal,
    considering the price. Not sure what the Yamaha would offer that would
    justify the large price difference.

    -Ben

    << peakester@earthlink.net >>
    << 1. Since it is my understanding that the onboard memory only supports 8
    songs at a time, has anyone used the bulk dump function for saving song
    automation information and what type of hardware do you need to perform
    it? Could I use my M-Audio FW-410 as an interface to dump the DM 24
    midi files into my computer? IOW, DM24 midi'd into FW-410 firewire into
    my FW equipped laptop? I also have a JL Cooper DataSync 2. >>

    The Dm24 has a built in midi interface for dumping mixes off, for upgrading
    sofware, etc. If your M-Audio interface has a fully functioning Midi interface
    it *should* work theoretically, although some audio w/midi interfaces do have
    problems working as midi interface. Dunno about the FW-410.

    << 2. With the factory installed lightpipe card plus 2 additional
    lightpipe I/O cards, anyone anticipate any problems getting in and out? >>

    Should work fine. But because of how the Mixer is configured, if you fill
    one of the empty slots with an analog I/O card and use some kind of ADAT to
    TDIF converter (or go analog) for one ADAT connection you can have 60 inputs on
    mixdown, without the analog card you will be limited to 52 inputs on mixdown.
    You can use all of your analog inputs on mixdown, but only *3* digital input
    blocks, whether ADAT, TDIF or Firewire (with the new IF/FW-DM firewire card.)

    The lack of analog outputs if you want to use insert/outboard effects is a
    major consideration, as you only have 4 assignable sends (and returns). The
    analog I/O card gives you 8 more outputs (and 8 more analog ins), and as you
    only have 2 expansion slots I would seriously consider getting one of those,
    and not 2 ADAT cards.

    << 3. What is your overall opinion of the DM 24 as an automated mixer
    first and DAW controller second, considering the price range? >>

    I think it's a good deal for a decent sounding automated mixer. Using as a
    controller can be confusing and requires a bit of manual reading, the thing has
    a bit of a learning curve but the guys at www.tascamforums.com are a friendly
    and helpful bunch (and no political BS, death threats and trolling allowed on
    moderated forums, unlike RAP.)

    << 4. Is there a separate manual that describes automation functions? The
    pdf owners manual says on page 19 that there is. I have not been able
    to locate one on the Tascam website and the one I'm thinking about
    buying is a store floor model (lost manuals)

    I would appreciate any support as the card special is only good for a
    couple of more days. >>

    Yes. Beside the link that Scott supplied there are midi mixer templates
    for cubase/Nuendo/Logic etc, software upgrades and notes available at the
    Tascam website, they're pretty good about that.

    http://www.tascam.com/Products/DM24_downloads.html

    As an aside, with the IF/FW-DM firewire card installed, you can get 24
    channels of I/O between your DAW over a single firewire cable, - this is my
    current setup. Not one the free cards they are offering in the promotion
    though.

    On the MAC it works great out of the box (req. OS10.3.5), but users find PC
    installation a pain in the butt and a bit problematic. Logic 7 users who are
    trying to work at 48k cannot get it to work at that sample rate, but apparently
    they are having trouble with Logic 7 at 48k a lot, this is apparently a Logic
    problem, not a Tascam Firewire card problem.

    HTH.

    Will Miho
    NY Music & TV Audio Guy
    Audio Guy / Fox News

    WillStG wrote:
> [...]
    is my
    > current setup. Not one the free cards they are offering in the
    promotion
    > though.
    >
    > On the MAC it works great out of the box (req. OS10.3.5), but
    users find PC
    > installation a pain in the butt and a bit problematic. Logic 7 users
    who are
    > trying to work at 48k cannot get it to work at that sample rate, but
    apparently
    > they are having trouble with Logic 7 at 48k a lot, this is apparently
    a Logic
    > problem, not a Tascam Firewire card problem.
    >
    > HTH.
    >

    > Will Miho
    > NY Music & TV Audio Guy
    > Audio Guy / Fox News
    > "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits
    Thanks. Excellent info.
    Peakester

    Ben Hanson wrote:
    > I don't have the answers to your questions but I would like to ask
    you
    > some...we are looking at this unit vs. the Yamaha 01V96 and was
    wondering if
    > you can comment (perhaps privately or in another thread) about the
    Tascam
    > and what you think so far. The Yamaha is almost $1K more but the
    feature set
    > is about the same. Both have 8 fully configurable pre- or post-fader
    Aux
    > Sends (very important in the environment the unit will be used in).
    The
    > Tascam unit has onboard effects by Antares and TC Works which are
    both well
    > regarded in the DX/VST plug-in world, so it seems to be the better
    deal,
    > considering the price. Not sure what the Yamaha would offer that
    would
    > justify the large price difference.

    Ben,

    I can tell you the original O1V did not enjoy a very good
    reputation
    as working well, at least according to salesguys I have spoken to. And

    the O1V96 is marketed as a "16 Channel 4 bus mixer", by comparison the

    DM24 is a "32 track 8 buss mixer", although with 2.10 software it can
    have *60 inputs* on mixdown with an analog expansion card, and track
    24 tracks Direct/Bussed to your recorder. They figure the 60 inputs as
    16 analog +
    the 8 analog on the expansion card (24) , 3 digital tape return blocks
    of 8
    TDIF/ADAT/or FW (24), 4 assignable analog returns, 4 channels of
    Spdif/AES in,
    and the 4 Internal Reverb/FX returns direct to stereo (12), so
    24+24+12=60.
    You can't apply all channel processing (eq,comp,gating) to all 60
    inputs of
    course, just 32, but you can get them all into your stereo buss. I
    don't think
    the 01V96 can come close to that many inputs or busses.

    It also does surround mixing, will do 96k (albeit only 16 tracks in
    SMUX
    mode), has GPI triggers, TC Reverbs, you can cascade two of them
    together,
    has a post ADC pre Channel Direct out mode for recording while mixing
    live events,
    has HUI emulation/MIDI layers, and more.

    I got mine at a good price used, upgraded the software and added
    the firewire
    card. One of my better choices in gear I think, and I'm liking it with
    Nuendo 2.2.

    HTH,

    Will Miho
    NY Music & TV Audio Guy
    Staff Audio / Fox News

    Hi Will, the 01V96 has 8 mix busses and 8 Aux busses. The DM24 only has 6
    Aux busses. The Yamaha is expandable as well with the dozen or so different
    add-on cards available for it. The only reason I know all this is cause I
    started researching both consoles while everything was quiet around the
    office this week, and spoke to both companies. In addition, Aviom makes an
    expansion card for the Yamaha that feeds their personal monitoring system,
    which we are also buying. Pretty sweet hook up. One single CAT5 network
    cable carries 16 channels of digital audio (in any combination of outputs,
    aux/mix busses, etc.) to feed their 16 channel personal mixers. Can't wait
    to get my hands on it all. As far as I can tell the DSP capabilities of the
    Yamaha are greater as well but haven't tested them yet...

    -Ben

    In article <41d4ae1b$1@mustang.speedfactory.net> transparency_76@hotmail.com writes:

    > Hi Will, the 01V96 has 8 mix busses and 8 Aux busses. The DM24 only has 6
    > Aux busses. The Yamaha is expandable as well with the dozen or so different
    > add-on cards available for it.

    The thing you have to watch out and plan carefully for with the Yamaha
    consoles is that, while there are lots of accessories for it, there
    are only so many accessory card slots. I trust you're aware of this
    and that there will be enough slots available for the combination of
    I/O that you want. One Aviom monitor means 8 or 16 fewer inputs or
    outputs for recording or mixing.

    It's a very flexible system with lots of potential, but it isn't
    indefinitey expandable.

    Hey Mike. I did think of this and one thing I really like much better about
    the Tascam is that it has 2 expansion bays instead of the Yamaha's one (I
    think it only has one, just leafing through the manual only noticed one).
    For the time being the stock config plus the Aviom card will be perfect but
    when we switch back to acoustic drums (currently using V-drums) then we will
    need some more XLR inputs and at that point we will indeed be out of room.

    One really handy thing that Aviom makes is an ADAT to RJ45 convertor, which
    can then be plugged into their gear. So we can use the onboard ADAT on the
    Yamaha to shuttle out 8 channels of audio to the Aviom gear via the
    convertor if and when we need that slot for some additional inputs (or the
    card that lets us daisy chain two of the 01V96's together!).

    Really the more I read about the Aviom system the more I realize how well
    though out it is, and how no other players in the personal mixer market for
    systems their size (16 channels) is even anywhere near the same ballpark. I
    should be getting the gear this week, I hope!

    -Ben

    Scott S. wrote:
    > 1. It should work, go to http://www.tascamforums.com and ask
    >
    > 2. It works great, I am using a DM24 with 3 ADATs.
    >
    > 3. As a mixer it is great, the EQ is very flexible and sounds great,
    > the routing is fine, mic pres are adequate although the gain pots are
    > strange taper. I am using a seperate monitor mixer (using the DM24
    as
    > playback mixer only) and do not have this issue, but you will want to
    > analyze how the DM24 will work in a monitor situation and whether
    there
    > will be latency. I am not using it as a DAW controller.
    >
    > 4. All the manuals are at
    > http://www.tascamcontractor.com/ftp_resources/files/manual/index.html

    The contractor site is excellent. I have downloaded and printed all the
    manuals for the DM-24. Thanks

    >"Ben Hanson" <transparency...@hotmail.com> -
    >Hi Will, the 01V96 has 8 mix busses and 8 Aux busses. The DM24 only
    has 6
    >Aux busses. The Yamaha is expandable as well with the dozen or so
    different
    >add-on cards available for it. The only reason I know all this is
    cause I
    >started researching both consoles while everything was quiet around
    the
    office this week, and spoke to both companies. In addition, >Aviom
    makes an
    expansion card for the Yamaha that feeds their personal monitoring
    system,
    >which we are also buying. Pretty sweet hook up. One single CAT5
    network
    >cable carries 16 channels of digital audio (in any combination of
    outputs,
    aux/mix busses, etc.) to feed their 16 channel personal mixers. >Can't
    wait
    to get my hands on it all. As far as I can tell the DSP capabilities of
    the
    Yamaha are greater as well but haven't tested them yet...>

    Well a nice feature of the DM24 is the cascade feature, so you
    can gang a pair of them together and make a big mixer with around 112
    Inputs on mixdown! And the DM24 Firewire card option does give you 24
    channels of I/O over firewire with your Mac or PC, so if you want to
    add processing you could do that in your computer. Makes a nice
    interface really, and they are cheap enough on blowout and used I am
    considering maybe adding that second one at some point.

    More aux sends would be nice though - guess you could do some of that
    in your DAW if you had low enough latency.

    Cheers,

    Just caught a preview of the press announcements regarding the
    Tascam DM24 planned for NAMM this week, on the Tascam Forum.

    " The new IF-W01 expansion card brings the power of the Tascam
    GigaPulse convoluted reverb to DM-24 owners in "free-standing" format.
    Requiring one full expansion slot GigaPulse is available on auxillary 5
    & 6 using the latest version 4 software. Alternatively in MAE mode,
    three independent instances can be used as channel/group inserts. This
    should be particularly useful for orchestral and surround sound
    applications.

    " Tascam are also proud to announce the release of Version 4.01 of
    the DM-24 software. New features include 16 new MIDI layer memories
    where any control on the DM-24 (faders, buttons, POD & transport) can
    be assigned to any MIDI function and recalled instantly using a hotkey
    combination (2ndF LIB SEL). Surround sound mixing has also been
    improved with 6 new surround sound autopan modes. Channel fader "pairs"
    can optionally be assigned to front/rear & left/right modes with aux 4
    controlling LFE level.

    " A second mode has been added to the Autotune speaker/mic modeller. In
    a surprising collaboration between Focusrite, IK Multimedia and Antares
    a new "Liquid" DSP algorithm is available via Antares. As well as
    support for the respected Amplitube guitar modelling, several of the
    microphone models from the Liquid channel have been made available;
    including Focusrite red, Neve 8832 and Avalot. Alternativley 4
    instances of Autotune can be assigned (2 instances in 96Khz mode).
    Lastly, 96Khz support is finally provided for the IF-FWDM interface is
    also included, available for all 24/24 i/o channels simultaneouly.
    Only computer IEE1394 based interfaces using the Texas chipset have
    been tested. No support for NEC chips is provided.

    Diane Gershuny Fleming
    TASCAM · 7733 Telegraph Road · Montebello, CA 90640 "

    Right now you do need a short firewire cable (7') or a repeater to
    work at 48K in V3 software reliably. Hopefully less of an issue in V4.

    The press release quoted below that was posted on the Tascam Forums
    is BOGUS. Diane Gershuny Fleming from Tascam whose name was "signed"
    on the supposed release has confirmed that it is a forgery of her
    writing, and that the information about a V4 software release and DM24
    Gigapulse card being announced at NAMM is totally untrue.

    It is never cool to sign other people's names to stuff you just make
    up - although some here seem to tolerate it - but I am sorry for my
    name being part of this fiction.

    So again, the DM24 rumors based on that forged document are untrue.

    Will Miho
    NY Music and TV Audio Guy
    Staff Audio / Fox News / M-AES
    "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away..."
    Ton Waits

Pro Audio Audio