Getting rid of companions in Morrowind

How do I go about getting rid of a companion in Morrowind? I accepted this
guy's quest to find a witch who ran off with his clothes and have decided I
can't find her; so I'm ditching the idiot, but I can't find the "Get lost"
option, or perhaps it should be "I'm sorry, you'll have to search on your
own" option.

I wouldn't mind so much except he said he knew where she was, "but as I knew
the area better he'd follow me..." How the f___ should I know where he
camped! If he can't help himself I'm not doing it for him. Worse still, I
now have a naked man (BB mod) following my female character wherever she
goes, which just isn't right :-)

Apart from leading him into battle and watching him die; or just killing him
and paying 1000gp fine, how do I exorcise myself of this inconvenience?

Cheers,

Andy
14 answers Last reply
More about getting companions morrowind

    Come on man. She's around. Just keep looking. It sounds like you'd
    rather finish the quest than 'take care of him' anyway.

    "Andy" <joininthechant660@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > How do I go about getting rid of a companion in Morrowind? I accepted
    this
    > guy's quest to find a witch who ran off with his clothes and have decided
    > can't find her; so I'm ditching the idiot, but I can't find the "Get lost"
    > option, or perhaps it should be "I'm sorry, you'll have to search on your
    > own" option.
    >
    > I wouldn't mind so much except he said he knew where she was, "but as I
    knew
    > the area better he'd follow me..." How the f___ should I know where he
    > camped! If he can't help himself I'm not doing it for him. Worse still,
    > now have a naked man (BB mod) following my female character wherever she
    > goes, which just isn't right :-)
    >
    > Apart from leading him into battle and watching him die; or just killing
    him
    > and paying 1000gp fine, how do I exorcise myself of this inconvenience?

    She is not hard to find, if it's any help.. Where you found him, just
    outside of Caldera, the road travels northish. Take that path and after
    a bit it'll fork into a left right choice. Take the right hand path, and
    follow
    it around some curves and it'll come up a small incline after one curve and
    she'll be standing right there. From what I remember, it's not very far
    away. Like in the matter of a few hundered yards from where you meet
    him.

    Otherwise, if you insist on killing him, I believe you only have the options
    you presented. If you can taunt him at all, you could taunt him into
    attacking
    you first to prevent the fine. If you are unfamiliar with this, keep
    taunting and
    eventually they will attack. It can take a *long* time if you have low
    speechcraft,
    but they will *always*, eventually attack. But always wait for them to
    actually
    attack first. If you strike the first blow, it'll count against you. When
    they
    say "that does it!" and the red "Goodbye" appears, click it and wait a
    second
    for them to make the first move. Then take 'em down.

    I always do the same thing with that guy and thus far it has never
    failed. I agree to help him kill the witch and then we go fight her.
    I wail on him while he beats on her and only stop when he is nearly
    dead. I then help finish the witch and loot her corpse. Then I give
    him the axe, get my reward and then taunt him until he attacks me.
    Then I kill him and take the axe as well as my reward. He was such an
    idiot I could not let him live. So far he has always ignored me while
    I beat on him and he just keeps fighting the witch. He's moderately
    tough for a low-level character and especially after he gets his axe,
    so I always make sure he is nearly dead to begin with. =)

    > Otherwise, if you insist on killing him, I believe you only have the
    options
    > you presented. If you can taunt him at all, you could taunt him into
    > attacking
    > you first to prevent the fine. If you are unfamiliar with this, keep
    > taunting and
    > eventually they will attack. It can take a *long* time if you have low
    > speechcraft,
    > but they will *always*, eventually attack. But always wait for them to
    > actually
    > attack first. If you strike the first blow, it'll count against you.
    When
    > they
    > say "that does it!" and the red "Goodbye" appears, click it and wait a
    > second
    > for them to make the first move. Then take 'em down.

    Little known trick... If you have high speechcraft ability, Taunting is
    definitely the way to go to get somebody to attack you. But if your
    speechcraft is very low, you'll have better luck with Admire. Eventually
    they'll get tired of you coming onto them, and attack. It might actually
    help to use a potion of Drain Personality or Drain Speechcraft on yourself
    first...

    > She is not hard to find, if it's any help.. Where you found him, just
    > outside of Caldera, the road travels northish. Take that path and after
    > a bit it'll fork into a left right choice. Take the right hand path, and
    > follow

    Oh, by the way, there is more than one naked barbarian in the same
    predicament. One of them (near Ald'Ruhn, I think) just needs to be cured of
    a disease, but there's another one near Indoranyon that has the same problem
    as the one near Caldera. It took me FOREVER to find his witch. She's not
    on the road, but in the middle of a field, in a small valley not visible
    from any roads. I only found her by levitating really high and looking down
    across a wide swath of land...

    Bitstring <MPG.1c6062b566c68c2d9896df@news.nzl.ihugultra.co.nz>, from
    the wonderful person Peter Huebner <no.one@this.address> said
    >In article <ct37nu$ges$1@thorium.cix.co.uk>, joininthechant660
    >@yahoo.co.uk says...
    >>
    >> Apart from leading him into battle and watching him die; or just killing him
    >> and paying 1000gp fine, how do I exorcise myself of this inconvenience?
    >>

    >I once lost a companion by taking a stilt strider. Got to Gnisis, but my
    >companion was gone - either they fell off on the way, or they couldn't
    >pay and got caught by the conductor, I don't know :-)

    Fell through a crack in the scenery most likely. 8>.

    If the companion won't respond to 'stay here' or 'let's part', then I
    think the only two options are murder and assisted suicide ('Hey, I'll
    take the mud crab, you get the Golden Saint; meet back here in 2
    minutes, OK?').

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can

    "weretable and the undead chairs" <weretable@were.diningroom> wrote in
    message news:i0ibv018kb16jjfekiunnlek17fo2bb9um@4ax.com...
    > I always do the same thing with that guy and thus far it has never
    > failed. I agree to help him kill the witch and then we go fight her.
    > I wail on him while he beats on her and only stop when he is nearly
    > dead. I then help finish the witch and loot her corpse. Then I give
    > him the axe, get my reward and then taunt him until he attacks me.
    > Then I kill him and take the axe as well as my reward. He was such an
    > idiot I could not let him live. So far he has always ignored me while
    > I beat on him and he just keeps fighting the witch. He's moderately
    > tough for a low-level character and especially after he gets his axe,
    > so I always make sure he is nearly dead to begin with.

    Hey, that's some good thinking... I may make a new guy yet again,
    if so, I'll try this approach :) I always ended up agreeing with the
    lady and then the quest never closes. You kill the guy, and she
    thanks you and says she will deliver the axe to someone who's
    worthy of it's power. You could kill her for it, but the quest
    was always active still after that.

    "Jim Vieira" <whiplashr@wi.rr.com.remove.this.to.reply> wrote in message
    > "Andy" <joininthechant660@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> How do I go about getting rid of a companion in Morrowind? I accepted
    > this
    >> guy's quest to find a witch who ran off with his clothes and have decided
    >> can't find her; so I'm ditching the idiot, but I can't find the "Get
    >> lost"
    >> option, or perhaps it should be "I'm sorry, you'll have to search on your
    >> own" option.
    >>
    >> I wouldn't mind so much except he said he knew where she was, "but as I
    > knew
    >> the area better he'd follow me..." How the f___ should I know where he
    >> camped! If he can't help himself I'm not doing it for him. Worse still,
    >> now have a naked man (BB mod) following my female character wherever she
    >> goes, which just isn't right :-)
    >>
    >> Apart from leading him into battle and watching him die; or just killing
    > him
    >> and paying 1000gp fine, how do I exorcise myself of this inconvenience?
    >>

    > She is not hard to find, if it's any help.. Where you found him, just
    > outside of Caldera, the road travels northish. Take that path and after
    > a bit it'll fork into a left right choice. Take the right hand path, and
    > follow
    > it around some curves and it'll come up a small incline after one curve
    > and
    > she'll be standing right there. From what I remember, it's not very far
    > away. Like in the matter of a few hundered yards from where you meet
    > him.
    >
    > Otherwise, if you insist on killing him, I believe you only have the
    > options
    > you presented. If you can taunt him at all, you could taunt him into
    > attacking
    > you first to prevent the fine. If you are unfamiliar with this, keep
    > taunting and
    > eventually they will attack. It can take a *long* time if you have low
    > speechcraft,
    > but they will *always*, eventually attack. But always wait for them to
    > actually
    > attack first. If you strike the first blow, it'll count against you.
    > When
    > they
    > say "that does it!" and the red "Goodbye" appears, click it and wait a
    > second
    > for them to make the first move. Then take 'em down.

    Thanks, I found her and then killed him anyway after he attacked me (he'd
    seen how good I was in a fight so he wasn't the brightest of barbarians).

    I'm not in the habit of taking roads so I took his directions too literally
    first time, and running the game on a laptop with draw distance set to
    minimum didn't help...

    Cheers,

    Andy

    In article <ct37nu$ges$1@thorium.cix.co.uk>, joininthechant660
    @yahoo.co.uk says...

    > Apart from leading him into battle and watching him die; or just killing him
    > and paying 1000gp fine, how do I exorcise myself of this inconvenience?

    I once lost a companion by taking a stilt strider. Got to Gnisis, but my
    companion was gone - either they fell off on the way, or they couldn't
    pay and got caught by the conductor, I don't know :-)

    -P.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Peter Huebner <no.one@this.address> skrev i meddelelsen

    > I once lost a companion by taking a stilt strider. Got to Gnisis, but
    > my companion was gone - either they fell off on the way, or they
    > couldn't pay and got caught by the conductor, I don't know :-)

    ROTFL!

    --
    Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
    d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u

    > I once lost a companion by taking a stilt strider. Got to Gnisis, but my
    > companion was gone - either they fell off on the way, or they couldn't
    > pay and got caught by the conductor, I don't know :-)

    Companions usually can follow you through Silt Striders, boats, and Guild
    Guides, provided they're close enough to you when you leave. One thing they
    CAN'T do, however, is follow you when you cast a Divine/Almsivi Intervention
    spell, or a Recall. This is by far the easiest and most reliable way to
    ditch an unwanted companion. And it doesn't involve crime or anything.
    Plus, he'll still be wherever you left him if you come back later and decide
    to complete the quest. Best thing to do is find some abandonned hut
    somewhere, and leave him there. Better that than a tomb or somewhere with
    regenerating monsters, but it's up to you...
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Andy" <joininthechant660@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

    > I'm not in the habit of taking roads so I took his directions too literally
    > first time, and running the game on a laptop with draw distance set to
    > minimum didn't help...

    I found it difficult to find the witch also since the given directions
    are awful. I followed the road until I got to a fork as I recall, and
    couldn't really tell which direction the roads would continue. I went
    up both sides for a little bit, then chose the wrong one to waste my
    time on.

    --
    Darin Johnson
    Gravity is a harsh mistress -- The Tick

    > I found it difficult to find the witch also since the given directions
    > are awful. I followed the road until I got to a fork as I recall, and
    > couldn't really tell which direction the roads would continue. I went
    > up both sides for a little bit, then chose the wrong one to waste my
    > time on.

    I really wish that they'd do something with the AI so that if a companion is
    following you and knows the way, he could actually give directions along the
    way, like "Take a left here" or, "No, not that way", if you go too far away
    from where he's supposed to go. None of this "You know the area better than
    I do, so I'll just follow you." What in the world makes them think I know
    the area better than them? I'm an "outlander", everybody says so. They
    should be leading the way, and I should be the one following. I can think
    of a grand total of three* quests in the entire game (Morrowind + Tribunal +
    Bloodmoon) that involve you following an NPC. This proves it CAN be done,
    but they opted not to for whatever reason...

    *White Guar in regular MW, the Swimmer and the Hunt, both in BM.
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message
    >> I found it difficult to find the witch also since the given directions
    >> are awful. I followed the road until I got to a fork as I recall, and
    >> couldn't really tell which direction the roads would continue. I went
    >> up both sides for a little bit, then chose the wrong one to waste my
    >> time on.
    >
    > I really wish that they'd do something with the AI so that if a companion
    > is
    > following you and knows the way, he could actually give directions along
    > the
    > way, like "Take a left here" or, "No, not that way", if you go too far
    > away
    > from where he's supposed to go. None of this "You know the area better
    > than
    > I do, so I'll just follow you." What in the world makes them think I know
    > the area better than them? I'm an "outlander", everybody says so. They
    > should be leading the way, and I should be the one following. I can think
    > of a grand total of three* quests in the entire game (Morrowind + Tribunal
    > +
    > Bloodmoon) that involve you following an NPC. This proves it CAN be done,
    > but they opted not to for whatever reason...
    >
    > *White Guar in regular MW, the Swimmer and the Hunt, both in BM.

    Agreed completely; there's enough wandering around as it is (which is fun in
    its own right) - but quests in which you get to follow would make for some
    pleasant variety.

    Andy

PC gaming Video Games