Pro Tools LE Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi there folks

I have a query which I hope someone can help me out with. It concerns
extracting audio files into Protools for editing. Fistly im using PT
LE 6.4 along with my Mbox and IBook 1GHZ and use AKG K271 Headphones
for referencing.Just got the setup about a month back, and its all
good, but I notice, when I extract files into a protools session (16
bit 44.1 Khz WAV session), and there is a discerning difference
between the quality of tracks when played off the CD when previewing
the audio files and when I import the audio file from the CD into the
session.

I notice that stereo width somehow decreases and there is a noticable
difference, at least to my ears in the clarity in the upper mid region
and the extracted files sounds slightly "harsher" than the original
Audio CD file.

Ive referenced other commercial albums to recheck this, like Lateralus
- Tool and Silverchair - Diorama, and I notice the same thing.

Could this be due to dither settings?or something else? any info on
setting changes to improve the quailty of audio import into protools
without losing any clarity would be helpful.

Thanks!
Anit

>Can't you record at 44.1 with 24 bit resolution?
>Dean

Yes

--Wayne

-"sounded good to me"-

In article <2b587b03.0412290115.5c3f3f58@posting.google.com>,
ikosheen@yahoo.com.au (Kosheen) wrote:

> Hi there folks
>
> I have a query which I hope someone can help me out with. It concerns
> extracting audio files into Protools for editing. Fistly im using PT
> LE 6.4 along with my Mbox and IBook 1GHZ and use AKG K271 Headphones
> for referencing.Just got the setup about a month back, and its all
> good, but I notice, when I extract files into a protools session (16
> bit 44.1 Khz WAV session), and there is a discerning difference
> between the quality of tracks when played off the CD when previewing
> the audio files and when I import the audio file from the CD into the
> session.
>
> I notice that stereo width somehow decreases and there is a noticable
> difference, at least to my ears in the clarity in the upper mid region
> and the extracted files sounds slightly "harsher" than the original
> Audio CD file.
>
> Ive referenced other commercial albums to recheck this, like Lateralus
> - Tool and Silverchair - Diorama, and I notice the same thing.
>
> Could this be due to dither settings?or something else? any info on
> setting changes to improve the quailty of audio import into protools
> without losing any clarity would be helpful.
>
> Thanks!
> Anit

How are you listening to the CDs for your comparison?

If you're using iTunes to play the CD, and then comparing with the same
thing played through Protools, you'll find it next to impossible to
exactly match the volumes when you switch from one program to the other.
Also, iTunes passes the audio through the Core Audio services, whilst
Protools is using it's own DAE, so there may be something going on there
too.

I'm assuming you've made sure that in iTunes the equalizer is off, and
that the "enhancer" (in the Preferences/Audio page) is also off.

Jeff C.

--
Anti-Spam email address in effect.
My real email should be pretty obvious to an actual human being.