Vampire: Bloodlines -- suggest best builds?

I got Bloodlines. I believe I will only play through it twice. The
first time, I would like to play as a brawler -- strong and brutish.
The second time through, I would like to play the most diplomatic,
stealthy character possible.

Can anyone suggest the best clans for this? Possibly even some pointers
on character creation would be nice, although I don't mind flailing
around a little and learning for myself. But I would like to avoid the
most moronic mistakes, if possible.

--
http://www.outshine.com/
http://www.respectthepublicdomain.org/

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-01-25, Anthony Boyd <usenet@outshine.com> wrote:
> I got Bloodlines. I believe I will only play through it twice. The
> first time, I would like to play as a brawler -- strong and brutish.
> The second time through, I would like to play the most diplomatic,
> stealthy character possible.

Best build is Ventrue with high melee, and persuasion. Your
character will talk like a Ventrue too. Also, with Fortitude at
3 or over you become almost invulnerable to bullets which rocks.

> Can anyone suggest the best clans for this? Possibly even some pointers
> on character creation would be nice, although I don't mind flailing
> around a little and learning for myself. But I would like to avoid the
> most moronic mistakes, if possible.

Brujah is a brutish warrior/philosopher. Malkavian or Nosferatu
are good for stealth. I would take Malkavian since Nosferatu are
a pain in the pass to play (you show yourself to mortals).

hermann

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2004

> I got Bloodlines. I believe I will only play through it twice. The
> first time, I would like to play as a brawler -- strong and brutish.

Brujah, or possibly Gangrel.

> The second time through, I would like to play the most diplomatic,
> stealthy character possible.

As far as clans go, you can't be both diplomatic (Tremere, Toreador,
Ventrue) and stealthy (Nosferatu, Malkavian). I consider the stealth skill
to be crucial to most characters regardless of class anyway.

> Can anyone suggest the best clans for this? Possibly even some pointers
> on character creation would be nice, although I don't mind flailing
> around a little and learning for myself. But I would like to avoid the
> most moronic mistakes, if possible.

The second game, you can toy with the more unique classes like Nosferatu or
Malkavian. By then you should have picked up a pretty good feel of the
classes, but for the first game, I'd skip the fighter option and go with
Toreador. Very social and diplomatic, but with fighting skills almost equal
to that of Brujah (namely the Celery discipline). Whether you want to play
stealthy or not, you'll need combat skills.

If you want a more flexible start, you can use the (unsupported and somewhat
buggy) character histories. Start the game with the '-console' option,
active the console with '~', and use the command 'vchar_edit_histories 1'.
After 20 clicks or so, the game will boot you, but it seems to work fine
once you're past character creation.

As a Toreador, you might want to avoid the 3 points in Social skills.

Some advice:

- Skills and stats get increasingly more expensive from the 2nd level. If
possible, invest 3 points in the same skill/stat during character creation,
and save yourself some XP later on.

- Always play through the tutorial, even if you already finished it, since
you get extra XP for it.

- Focus on one fighting skill (unarmed, melee or ranged). If you went for
Toreador, melee is good choice.

- Useless skills/stats include Inspection, Haggle, Intimidate and
Seduction/Appearance.

- Useful skills include Lockpicking, Research, Persuation and Hacking.

- Throughout game you'll encounter books which can permanently increase your
skills. However, they won't give an increase if the skill is already high
enough. If you want to min/max, consult a walkthrough on the issue:
http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/vampire_tmb.txt

- Explore everything, especially later in the game. Some items are well
hidden. If you want to make sure you get everything, see above walkthrough.
These particular guides are put first in that walkthrough, minimizing
spoilers.

- Always finish the sidequests first, before you progress through the main
quest. Some things need to be done in a very specific order. Save the game a
frequent intervals, rather than just using quicksave.

- There are a few smaller areas in the game. Once you finish the smaller
ones, you can _never_ go back, so make sure you got everything you came for.

hermann

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2004

I should mention that while some disciplines might arguably be better in
combat than celerity (though I very much doubt it), they are usually not as
fun to play. While most disciplines are just stat boosters, Celerity basicly
works as bullet time in Max Payne.

The downside is that it might make most of the game too easy, but if you
don't particularly enjoy combat, you'll be glad you have it once you're up
against bosses.

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-01-25, Hermann <hr_hesse@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The downside is that it might make most of the game too easy, but if you
> don't particularly enjoy combat, you'll be glad you have it once you're up
> against bosses.

I remember at least one boss that used celerity to wipe the floor
with your head.

Nostromo wrote:
> So playing a Malkavian first up is a bad idea?

IMHO, yes, if you plan to play more than once. Malks get so much unique
stuff, that if you played the game first as a Malk you'll find it
seriously lacking on a second run-through...

Otherwise, play a Malk and max out your combat skills. Stealth and
persuasion would be nice in an RPG, but the main plotline in Bloodlines
was apparently written by FPS developers.... there's no way through it
without cheating unless you spend a lot of points on combat skills.
Mark

nostromo

Thus spake Anthony Boyd <usenet@outshine.com>, Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:21:16
GMT, Anno Domini:

>I got Bloodlines. I believe I will only play through it twice. The
>first time, I would like to play as a brawler -- strong and brutish.
>The second time through, I would like to play the most diplomatic,
>stealthy character possible.
>
>Can anyone suggest the best clans for this? Possibly even some pointers
>on character creation would be nice, although I don't mind flailing
>around a little and learning for myself. But I would like to avoid the
>most moronic mistakes, if possible.

Just pick the Malkavian wench - she's by far the easiest on the eyes to
stare at the backend for a whole game! >;-)

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?

nostromo

Thus spake "Hermann" <hr_hesse@yahoo.com>, Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:59:46 GMT,
Anno Domini:

> [...]
>skills. However, they won't give an increase if the skill is already high
>enough. If you want to min/max, consult a walkthrough on the issue:
>http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/vampire_tmb.txt
>
>- Explore everything, especially later in the game. Some items are well
>hidden. If you want to make sure you get everything, see above walkthrough.
>These particular guides are put first in that walkthrough, minimizing
>spoilers.
>
>- Always finish the sidequests first, before you progress through the main
>quest. Some things need to be done in a very specific order. Save the game a
>frequent intervals, rather than just using quicksave.
>
>- There are a few smaller areas in the game. Once you finish the smaller
>ones, you can _never_ go back, so make sure you got everything you came for.

So playing a Malkavian first up is a bad idea? I've only just started, so no
major drama, but I really did like the goth schoolgirl look >;-)

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

hermann

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2004

> So playing a Malkavian first up is a bad idea? I've only just
> started, so no major drama, but I really did like the goth
> schoolgirl look >;-)

Malkavian is fine, as long as you can decode the conversation lines. At more
than one time, I selected the "wrong" conversation tree since I couldn't
figure out what I was saying. Malkavian is a fairly useless class, and the
humor doesn't quite make up for it. I still think it's a better choice for
the second time through, but it's your choice.

Anyway, with some minor efforts, you can use the Malkavian skins for the
other clans as well. It's basicly a matter of copying the skins to the
proper directory and renaming the files.

But if you like the schoolgirl look, just wait until you get her third
outfit. Using the hack above, you can get that outfit for _all_ armour
types - yay! Although you might want to keep her second outfit around -
depending on your fetish of choice. ;)

nostromo

Thus spake "Hermann" <hr_hesse@yahoo.com>, Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:47:27 GMT,
Anno Domini:

>> So playing a Malkavian first up is a bad idea? I've only just
>> started, so no major drama, but I really did like the goth
>> schoolgirl look >;-)
>
>Malkavian is fine, as long as you can decode the conversation lines. At more
>than one time, I selected the "wrong" conversation tree since I couldn't
>figure out what I was saying. Malkavian is a fairly useless class, and the
>humor doesn't quite make up for it. I still think it's a better choice for
>the second time through, but it's your choice.

Cool. As I said, I've only played less than an hour, so I'll just run
through that again with another clan.

>Anyway, with some minor efforts, you can use the Malkavian skins for the
>other clans as well. It's basicly a matter of copying the skins to the
>proper directory and renaming the files.

Got any URLs for the mods? ;-)

>But if you like the schoolgirl look, just wait until you get her third
>outfit. Using the hack above, you can get that outfit for _all_ armour
>types - yay! Although you might want to keep her second outfit around -
>depending on your fetish of choice. ;)

Now you're just teasing me!

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

hermann

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2004

> Cool. As I said, I've only played less than an hour, so I'll just run
> through that again with another clan.

Mark's comments in the other subthread captured the gist of what I couldn't
formulate, but basicly, the unique stuff is only unique in contrast to an
"ordinary" class - you'll appreciate Malkavian (or Nosferatu) more if you
select a different first class.

> Got any URLs for the mods? ;-)

I did it manually, but you I suppose you could try
http://vheaven.vpaine.com/files.php?action=showfile&file=7

I uninstalled the game a while back, so I can't test it myself, but it
shouldn't be any problem to find the skin directory you want (should contain
"malk_girl" or something fairly similar, whereas the other female skins
usually contains "<full clanname>_female").

> Now you're just teasing me!

No, I just didn't want to spoil the nice surprises that lass's wardrobe has
in store. =)

nostromo

Thus spake mmaker@my-deja.com, 26 Jan 2005 08:42:57 -0800, Anno Domini:

>Nostromo wrote:
>> So playing a Malkavian first up is a bad idea?
>
>IMHO, yes, if you plan to play more than once. Malks get so much unique
>stuff, that if you played the game first as a Malk you'll find it
>seriously lacking on a second run-through...

Gotcha.

>Otherwise, play a Malk and max out your combat skills. Stealth and
>persuasion would be nice in an RPG, but the main plotline in Bloodlines
>was apparently written by FPS developers.... there's no way through it
>without cheating unless you spend a lot of points on combat skills.
>Mark

Hmmm...still sounds like a 2nd time through class. I'll have to think about
it after Hermann's advice. Tx!

--

"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Thus spake mmaker@my-deja.com, 26 Jan 2005 08:42:57 -0800, Anno Domini:
>
> >Nostromo wrote:
> >> So playing a Malkavian first up is a bad idea?
> >
> >IMHO, yes, if you plan to play more than once. Malks get so much unique
> >stuff, that if you played the game first as a Malk you'll find it
> >seriously lacking on a second run-through...
>
> Gotcha.
>
> >Otherwise, play a Malk and max out your combat skills. Stealth and
> >persuasion would be nice in an RPG, but the main plotline in Bloodlines
> >was apparently written by FPS developers.... there's no way through it
> >without cheating unless you spend a lot of points on combat skills.
> >Mark
>
> Hmmm...still sounds like a 2nd time through class. I'll have to think
about
> it after Hermann's advice. Tx!

It's fascinating to see how many gameworld specific details change when
playing a Malk. The newscasts, for example. Hilarious.
Markus

nostromo

Thus spake "Hermann" <hr_hesse@yahoo.com>, Thu, 27 Jan 2005 17:19:57 GMT,
Anno Domini:

>> Cool. As I said, I've only played less than an hour, so I'll just run
>> through that again with another clan.
>
>Mark's comments in the other subthread captured the gist of what I couldn't
>formulate, but basicly, the unique stuff is only unique in contrast to an
>"ordinary" class - you'll appreciate Malkavian (or Nosferatu) more if you
>select a different first class.
>
>> Got any URLs for the mods? ;-)
>
>I did it manually, but you I suppose you could try
>http://vheaven.vpaine.com/files.php?action=showfile&file=7
>
>I uninstalled the game a while back, so I can't test it myself, but it
>shouldn't be any problem to find the skin directory you want (should contain
>"malk_girl" or something fairly similar, whereas the other female skins
>usually contains "<full clanname>_female").

Tx Hermann, but SkinSwitch 2 looks for *.nod files of which there aren't
any...? I can only find files like python\venture\ventrue.py & other *.py
files that in any way refer to clan names. Any ideas?

hermann

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2004

> Tx Hermann, but SkinSwitch 2 looks for *.nod files of which there
> aren't any...? I can only find files like python\venture\ventrue.py
> & other *.py files that in any way refer to clan names. Any ideas?

Yeah, sorry about the sloppy explanation on my part.

Download the Bloodlines Tool at http://www.turfster.cjb.net/

Select the VPK Extractor tab, and open the file pack101.vpk. Right-click in
the list and select find. Search for the file 'clandoc000.txt'. Right-click
on that file, and select extract it.

It will appear in the new directory <vampire root>/Vampire/vdata/system.

Open clandoc000.txt with notepad or another text editor.

Look up the lines for clan Malkavian, copy and paste the entries from
"F_Body0" to "F_Body5".

(Should look like "F_Body0"
"models/character/pc/female/malkavian/armor0/malkavian_Female_Armor_0.mdl")

Look up the same lines for the clan you have in mind to play, and simply
paste the Malkavian lines over the old ones.

nostromo

Thus spake "Hermann" <hr_hesse@yahoo.com>, Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:48:58 GMT,
Anno Domini:

>> Tx Hermann, but SkinSwitch 2 looks for *.nod files of which there
>> aren't any...? I can only find files like python\venture\ventrue.py
>> & other *.py files that in any way refer to clan names. Any ideas?
>
>Yeah, sorry about the sloppy explanation on my part.
>
>Download the Bloodlines Tool at http://www.turfster.cjb.net/
>
>Select the VPK Extractor tab, and open the file pack101.vpk. Right-click in
>the list and select find. Search for the file 'clandoc000.txt'. Right-click
>on that file, and select extract it.
>
>It will appear in the new directory <vampire root>/Vampire/vdata/system.
>
>Open clandoc000.txt with notepad or another text editor.
>
>Look up the lines for clan Malkavian, copy and paste the entries from
>"F_Body0" to "F_Body5".
>
>(Should look like "F_Body0"
>"models/character/pc/female/malkavian/armor0/malkavian_Female_Armor_0.mdl")
>
>Look up the same lines for the clan you have in mind to play, and simply
>paste the Malkavian lines over the old ones.

Kewl! Heaps-a-tx matey! ;-)