World Of Warcraft is owned by Sony?

Last response: in Video Games
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 28, 2005 9:42:03 AM

I heard from someone the other day that World Of Warcraft is owned by Sony?

Is this true? Can someone who is savvy in business confirm this?

If so forget it I'm not playing WoW nor SW Galaxies :-)

"It is my understanding that Blizzard Entertainment is now owned by Vivendi,
who in turn is owned by Sony. If all of that is true, then the above comes
as absolutely no surprise to me since Sony is only interested in developing
games for the PC where they can get a monthly fee from people. It probably
also spells the end of the Diablo era, unless they decide to make Diablo 3
online only with a monthly fee. That would be a farce. But with Diablo 2
being 4 1/2 years old now and nothing announced about a third game, I think
I've just been given one more reason to hate Sony. :-)"

http://www.vivendiuniversal.com/vu/en/subsidiaries/u_mu...

http://www.vivendiuniversal.com/vu/en/subsidiaries/u_ga...

All owned by Sony??
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 28, 2005 1:31:47 PM

LOL I always laugh at people that say things like 'I'm not playing this
thing if it's done by Sony'. Don't you see it's entirely different
teams with entirely different people making entirely different
decisions. Look at Lineage 2 and City of Heroes, two very different
games made by the same corporation (NCSoft).
Instead of generalizing, just try the game yourself and make your own
judgement
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 28, 2005 4:04:55 PM

In the case of EQ and EQ2 it's possible they shared some people in the
design area (one is sequel to the other), but the original guy was
worried that somehow WoW was in some way owned by Sony and wouldn't
play it, that's what I was referring to
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 28, 2005 10:02:49 PM

wolfing1@yahoo.com wrote in news:1106937107.448068.34810
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> Don't you see it's entirely different
> teams with entirely different people making entirely different
> decisions. Look at Lineage 2 and City of Heroes, two very different
> games made by the same corporation (NCSoft).

Nit - Lineage 2 and City of Heroes are both produced by NCSoft, they were
made and developped by two different teams. CoH by Cryptic and someone else
for Lineage 2.

The difference is, I believe, that Sony came out with EQ, and then EQII.
Whereas Cryptic came up with CoH, and nneded NCSoft for the funding and
delivery.

--
Marcel
Anonymous

Marcel Beaudoin <mbeauINVALID@sympaINVALIDtico.ca> writes:

> The difference is, I believe, that Sony came out with EQ, and then
> EQII.

EQ was made by the company Verant, which Sony Online Entertainment
bought. EQ2 was made by SOE, though.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 29, 2005 3:33:26 AM

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 07:17:45 GMT, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote:

>On 2005-01-28, Blip <spamblip88ud@ms.com> wrote:
>
>> http://www.vivendiuniversal.com/vu/en/subsidiaries/u_mu...
>>
>> http://www.vivendiuniversal.com/vu/en/subsidiaries/u_ga...
>>
>> All owned by Sony??
>
>Where did you get the information that Vivendi is owned by Sony?

Indeed. Everyone knows that Sony is in fact owned by Vivendi, who are in
turn but a division of the great pan-European media conglomerate,
Nokia-Bertelsmann.

--
Hong Ooi | "COUNTERSRTIKE IS AN REAL-TIME
hong@zipworld.com.au | STRATEGY GAME!!!"

Hong Ooi <hong@zipworld.com.au> wrote in

> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 07:17:45 GMT, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote:
>
>>On 2005-01-28, Blip <spamblip88ud@ms.com> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.vivendiuniversal.com/vu/en/subsidiaries/u_mu...
>>>
>>> http://www.vivendiuniversal.com/vu/en/subsidiaries/u_ga...
>>>
>>> All owned by Sony??
>>
>>Where did you get the information that Vivendi is owned by Sony?
>
> Indeed. Everyone knows that Sony is in fact owned by Vivendi, who are in
> turn but a division of the great pan-European media conglomerate,
> Nokia-Bertelsmann.

Which is itself owned by Tim Hortons.

--
Marcel
January 29, 2005 3:33:28 AM

Marcel Beaudoin wrote:

> Hong Ooi <hong@zipworld.com.au> wrote in

> >>Where did you get the information that Vivendi is owned by Sony?
> >
> > Indeed. Everyone knows that Sony is in fact owned by Vivendi, who are in
> > turn but a division of the great pan-European media conglomerate,
> > Nokia-Bertelsmann.
>
> Which is itself owned by Tim Hortons.
>
> --
> Marcel

Which is owned by Wendys.
--

Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the future.

"Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 29, 2005 11:30:31 AM

Hong Ooi wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 07:17:45 GMT, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote:
>>Where did you get the information that Vivendi is owned by Sony?
>
> Indeed. Everyone knows that Sony is in fact owned by Vivendi, who are in
> turn but a division of the great pan-European media conglomerate,
> Nokia-Bertelsmann.

Actually, Nokia is Japanese.

Cheers!
David...
January 29, 2005 5:00:49 PM

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 08:30:31 +1100, David Carson
<david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote:

>Actually, Nokia is Japanese.

no its finnish - at least originally.
--
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."
Groucho Marx.

ajk <gandalf wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 08:30:31 +1100, David Carson
> <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote:
>>Actually, Nokia is Japanese.
>
> no its finnish - at least originally.

It was an inside joke for the Australians in the audience.

Some years ago, Nokia was sponsoring the rugby league here, and a
redneck radio commentator frothed that it was a disgrace to the memory
of all the veterans of WW2 that a Japanese company should sponsor the
footy. He went a bit quiet when it was pointed out, as you say, that
Nokia was actually a Finnish company.

Cheers!
David...
January 30, 2005 12:46:50 AM

David Carson wrote:

> ajk <gandalf wrote:
> > On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 08:30:31 +1100, David Carson
> > <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote:
> >>Actually, Nokia is Japanese.
> >
> > no its finnish - at least originally.
>
> It was an inside joke for the Australians in the audience.
>
> Some years ago, Nokia was sponsoring the rugby league here, and a
> redneck radio commentator frothed that it was a disgrace to the memory
> of all the veterans of WW2 that a Japanese company should sponsor the
> footy. He went a bit quiet when it was pointed out, as you say, that
> Nokia was actually a Finnish company.
>
> Cheers!
> David...

You have rednecks in Aus?

--

David Carson <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> writes:

> Some years ago, Nokia was sponsoring the rugby league here, and a
> redneck radio commentator frothed that it was a disgrace to the
> memory of all the veterans of WW2 that a Japanese company should
> sponsor the footy. He went a bit quiet when it was pointed out, as
> you say, that Nokia was actually a Finnish company.

Reminds me of the American debate about 2/2.5G mobile network in
post-invasion Iraq: Some US politican pushed CDMA (of course),
claiming that GSM (which most of the world uses) was French. People
were quick to point out that most GSM equipment was made by Nokia
(Finland), Ericsson (Sweden) and Siemens (Germany), that the standard
was international, and that American companies like Motorola were also
in the business of making GSM handsets.
January 30, 2005 1:32:50 AM

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 21:46:49 +1100, David Carson
<david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote:

>ajk <gandalf wrote:
>> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 08:30:31 +1100, David Carson
>> <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote:
>>>Actually, Nokia is Japanese.
>>
>> no its finnish - at least originally.
>
>It was an inside joke for the Australians in the audience.
>
>Some years ago, Nokia was sponsoring the rugby league here, and a
>redneck radio commentator frothed that it was a disgrace to the memory
>of all the veterans of WW2 that a Japanese company should sponsor the
>footy. He went a bit quiet when it was pointed out, as you say, that
>Nokia was actually a Finnish company.
>
>Cheers!
>David...

ahhh :)  ok :)
--
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."
Groucho Marx.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 30, 2005 4:36:47 AM

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 14:00:49 +0800, ajk <gandalf<at>pc.nu> wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 08:30:31 +1100, David Carson
><david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote:
>
>>Actually, Nokia is Japanese.
>
>no its finnish - at least originally.

Now come on, its share price may be down by 70% from the late 90s, but that
hardly means it's finish.

--
Hong Ooi | "COUNTERSRTIKE IS AN REAL-TIME
hong@zipworld.com.au | STRATEGY GAME!!!"
http://www.zipworld.com.au/~hong/dnd/ | -- RR
Sydney, Australia |
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 30, 2005 5:40:17 AM

In article <oq7nv0tq3lejj72bqa059c9hlfgn01u04m@4ax.com>,
hong@zipworld.com.au says...
> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 14:00:49 +0800, ajk <gandalf<at>pc.nu> wrote:
>
> Now come on, its share price may be down by 70% from the late 90s, but that
> hardly means it's finish.

I would like to lodge a protest at this horrific use
of a pun on a countries name.

Thank you. Now I am Hungry and so I will Rome for some
Turkey.

- Factory
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 30, 2005 8:40:08 AM

Thusly factory <t@t.com> Spake Unto All:

> Thank you. Now I am Hungry and so I will Rome for some
>Turkey.

Well, wash the dishes after you, and don't leave any greece on the
china.

> - Factory
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 30, 2005 1:14:09 PM

Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> writes:

> Well, wash the dishes after you, and don't leave any greece on the
> china.

Also avoid artificial Swedeners - there's Norway they are better for
you than natural sugar. Denmark your birthday in the calendar.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 30, 2005 5:33:39 PM

In article <uekg3th26.fsf@broadpark.no>,
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen <tor.iver.wilhelmsen@broadpark.no> wrote:
>Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> writes:
>
>> Well, wash the dishes after you, and don't leave any greece on the
>> china.
>
>Also avoid artificial Swedeners - there's Norway they are better for
>you than natural sugar. Denmark your birthday in the calendar.

Italy nine awful country puns in this thread so far.

--
Kyle Haight
Anonymous

"Blip" <spamblip88ud@ms.com> once tried to test me with:

> I heard from someone the other day that World Of Warcraft is owned by
> Sony?
>
> Is this true? Can someone who is savvy in business confirm this?
>
> If so forget it I'm not playing WoW nor SW Galaxies :-)
>

> "It is my understanding that Blizzard Entertainment is now owned by
> Vivendi, who in turn is owned by Sony. If all of that is true, then

It is true that Blizzard is owned by VU. They have been for a couple of
years now.

It is not true that VU is owned by Sony.

> the above comes as absolutely no surprise to me since Sony is only
> interested in developing games for the PC where they can get a monthly
> fee from people. It probably also spells the end of the Diablo era,
> unless they decide to make Diablo 3 online only with a monthly fee.
> That would be a farce. But with Diablo 2 being 4 1/2 years old now
> and nothing announced about a third game, I think I've just been given
> one more reason to hate Sony. :-)"

You can hate Blizzard for that. I seriously doubt we'll see a free-online-
play Diablo 3. I'm kind of doubting we'll ever see a Diablo 3 at all,
actually. Maybe.

> http://www.vivendiuniversal.com/vu/en/subsidiaries/u_mu...
>
> http://www.vivendiuniversal.com/vu/en/subsidiaries/u_ga...

> All owned by Sony??

Not true.

--

Knight37

a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 1, 2005 7:37:02 PM

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen <tor.iver.wilhelmsen@broadpark.no> wrote in

> Marcel Beaudoin <mbeauINVALID@sympaINVALIDtico.ca> writes:
>
>> The difference is, I believe, that Sony came out with EQ, and then
>> EQII.
>
> EQ was made by the company Verant, which Sony Online Entertainment
> bought. EQ2 was made by SOE, though.

Ahh, thnaks for the clarification...

--
Marcel