Sign in with
Your question

PCIE x16 3.0 or PCIE x4 2.0 for NIC?

Last response: in Networking
January 29, 2013 3:08:24 PM

I have a little home server running with a mATX motherboard by ASRock. I'm wondering if you can utilize the PCIE x16 3.0 or PCIE x4 2.0 slot on it with a network card. It doesn't have that mini slot that you see almost everywhere else when shopping for an additional network card, which leaves me a little unsure as to what you can do in the event the onboard NIC gets fried. Does such a thing exist?

More about : pcie x16 pcie nic

a c 104 V Motherboard
January 29, 2013 4:38:39 PM

Yes, you can use those slots for PCIe NICs -- I would use the 4x and leave the 16x free for bigger and better uses. The other option is a USB Ethernet or wireless adapter (or both).
m
l
January 29, 2013 5:15:06 PM

RealBeast said:
Yes, you can use those slots for PCIe NICs -- I would use the 4x and leave the 16x free for bigger and better uses. The other option is a USB Ethernet or wireless adapter (or both).

I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record, but are you suggesting that I can indeed install:

one of these

into

the long yellow x16 slot here?
m
l
Related resources
a c 104 V Motherboard
January 29, 2013 5:32:10 PM

Yes, by the PCIe standard an x1 device can be used in the x4 or x16 slots. Of course, it does not work the other way around, no x16 in an x1 slot.

That card isn't a NIC though. :) 
m
l
January 29, 2013 6:15:00 PM

RealBeast said:
Yes, by the PCIe standard an x1 device can be used in the x4 or x16 slots. Of course, it does not work the other way around, no x16 in an x1 slot.

That card isn't a NIC though. :) 

You're right - I didn't notice that. I was Googling super fast. I just was taken back that you can put a smaller card in the slot like that with the rest of it just open and untouched. But hey, I'm okay with that. :D 
m
l
!