generic question

Hi, oot question. My company has some sort of web blocking software
(websense), but I'm allowed to get into many webpages. Problem is, the
category 'Games' is (obviously) blocked.
That made me think, is there some sort of web page that I could enter a
web address and it shows that web page inside a frame or something, so
Websense would allow me to get there (since I'm not really visiting the
blocked site, but a site that shows the blocked page). Wonder if
there's some sort of page that does this, not sure if it's possible or
not just an idea
13 answers Last reply
More about generic question

    wolfing1@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Hi, oot question. My company has some sort of web blocking software
    > (websense), but I'm allowed to get into many webpages. Problem is, the
    > category 'Games' is (obviously) blocked.
    > That made me think, is there some sort of web page that I could enter a
    > web address and it shows that web page inside a frame or something, so
    > Websense would allow me to get there (since I'm not really visiting the
    > blocked site, but a site that shows the blocked page). Wonder if
    > there's some sort of page that does this, not sure if it's possible or
    > not just an idea

    It is possible and not just an idea...Although I'm sure this is some
    sort of troll or setup for something...

    wolfing1@yahoo.com wrote in news:1106936934.821680.19960
    @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

    > That made me think, is there some sort of web page that I could enter a
    > web address and it shows that web page inside a frame or something, so
    > Websense would allow me to get there (since I'm not really visiting the
    > blocked site, but a site that shows the blocked page). Wonder if
    > there's some sort of page that does this, not sure if it's possible or
    > not just an idea

    Keyword for search is
    proxy

    Gandalf Parker

    wolfing1@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Hi, oot question. My company has some sort of web blocking software
    > (websense), but I'm allowed to get into many webpages. Problem is, the
    > category 'Games' is (obviously) blocked.
    > That made me think, is there some sort of web page that I could enter a
    > web address and it shows that web page inside a frame or something, so
    > Websense would allow me to get there (since I'm not really visiting the
    > blocked site, but a site that shows the blocked page). Wonder if
    > there's some sort of page that does this, not sure if it's possible or
    > not just an idea

    A web archive would probably work:
    http://web.archive.org/

    --KG

    "James Garvin" <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > wolfing1@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > It is possible and not just an idea...Although I'm sure this is some sort
    > of troll or setup for something...

    I think you're a troll inciting people by calling them trolls.

    On 28 Jan 2005 10:28:54 -0800, wolfing1@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Hi, oot question. My company has some sort of web blocking software
    >(websense), but I'm allowed to get into many webpages. Problem is, the
    >category 'Games' is (obviously) blocked.
    >That made me think, is there some sort of web page that I could enter a
    >web address and it shows that web page inside a frame or something, so
    >Websense would allow me to get there (since I'm not really visiting the
    >blocked site, but a site that shows the blocked page). Wonder if
    >there's some sort of page that does this, not sure if it's possible or
    >not just an idea

    What you are looking for is at http://www.peacefire.org/

    Don't use it on a corporate computer - they have the filtering software
    installed for a reason. If you want to use the Internet, it's best to do
    it at home.

    Grackle wrote:

    > "James Garvin" <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>wolfing1@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>
    >>It is possible and not just an idea...Although I'm sure this is some sort
    >>of troll or setup for something...
    >

    > I think you're a troll inciting people by calling them trolls.

    LOL! 5/10...this actually was pretty funny

    wolfing1@yahoo.com writes:

    > That made me think, is there some sort of web page that I could enter a
    > web address and it shows that web page inside a frame or something, so
    > Websense would allow me to get there (since I'm not really visiting the
    > blocked site, but a site that shows the blocked page).

    If Websense is a proxy, that would not work: Frames are local to the
    browser, and a request for a game site looks the same whether it will
    end up in a frame or not.

    > Grackle wrote:
    >
    >> "James Garvin" <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>wolfing1@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>>
    >>>It is possible and not just an idea...Although I'm sure this is some sort
    >>>of troll or setup for something...
    >>

    >> I think you're a troll inciting people by calling them trolls.
    > LOL! 5/10...this actually was pretty funny

    5/10? That's insulting.

    Thusly bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) Spake Unto All:

    >Don't use it on a corporate computer - they have the filtering software
    >installed for a reason.

    Yeah, they're cheap control freaks.

    --
    Moralism, n: the deathly fear that someone, somewhere, might be having
    fun.

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:35:51 +0100, Mean_Chlorine
    <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >Thusly bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) Spake Unto All:
    >
    >>Don't use it on a corporate computer - they have the filtering software
    >>installed for a reason.
    >
    >Yeah, they're cheap control freaks.

    That's entirely accurrate. If they really wanted to be true control freaks
    instead of cheap ones, they would hire a football player to help employees
    remain focused on their tasks.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thusly bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) Spake Unto All:

    >>>Don't use it on a corporate computer - they have the filtering software
    >>>installed for a reason.
    >>
    >>Yeah, they're cheap control freaks.
    >
    >That's entirely accurrate. If they really wanted to be true control freaks
    >instead of cheap ones, they would hire a football player to help employees
    >remain focused on their tasks.

    Exactly. Like Electronic Arts.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    And they'll fire your ass if they catch you.

    >>Don't use it on a corporate computer - they have the filtering software
    >>installed for a reason.

    Yeah, they're cheap control freaks.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    <<<
    What you are looking for is at http://www.peacefire.org/

    Don't use it on a corporate computer - they have the filteri­ng
    software
    installed for a reason. If you want to use the Internet, it­'s best
    to do
    it at home.

    Just checked it... blocked too grrr
    I'll check the web for the word 'proxy' but kinda sounds too generic

PC gaming Games IBM RPG Video Games