List your favorite rpg game

List you favorite rpg game, give a rating, and tell the site.
26 answers Last reply
More about list favorite game

    In article <1106949726.984621.73690@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    prnaychopra@gmail.com says...

    >List you favorite rpg game, give a rating, and tell the site.

    Might & Magic 1.

    Of course, this is the hundredth or so time this question has been asked and
    answered in this newsgroup. I quess someone always posts it again when not much
    else is happening.

    http://users.erols.com/kennrice
    Civil War Round Table of DC & Concentration Camp made of LEGO bricks
    http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice
    Maps of Ultima 7 Parts 1 & 2, Prophecy of the Shadow, Savage Empire,
    Crusaders of Dark Savant & Others.

    prnaychopra@gmail.com skrev i meddelelsen news:1106949726.984621.73690
    @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

    > List you favorite rpg game, give a rating, and tell the site.

    The Dungeons of Moria:
    Requires at least 640 kb RAM and an x386-processor, so you better upgrade
    your computer for this baby (freeware):

    http://www.phyton.dk/gameutils/m552-386.zip

    --
    Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
    d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u

    In article <41faef61$0$311$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk>, this@ress.is.invalid
    says...

    >prnaychopra@gmail.com skrev i meddelelsen news:1106949726.984621.73690
    >@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

    >> List you favorite rpg game, give a rating, and tell the site.

    >The Dungeons of Moria:
    >Requires at least 640 kb RAM and an x386-processor, so you better upgrade
    >your computer for this baby (freeware):

    >http://www.phyton.dk/gameutils/m552-386.zip

    I might have to downgrade to meet those requirements.

    Arcana Dragon <this@ress.is.invalid> wrote:
    >The Dungeons of Moria:

    I like Angband better. Having a monster than can automatically kill
    any player with no defence is not a good design decision in a game that
    doesn't let you reload after you die.

    >Requires at least 640 kb RAM and an x386-processor, so you better upgrade
    >your computer for this baby (freeware):

    I'm sure you can find a version with lower requirements.

    Ross Ridge

    --
    l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
    [oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 06:07:16 +0000 (UTC), rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross
    Ridge) wrote:

    >Arcana Dragon <this@ress.is.invalid> wrote:
    >>The Dungeons of Moria:
    >
    >I like Angband better. Having a monster than can automatically kill
    >any player with no defence is not a good design decision in a game that
    >doesn't let you reload after you die.

    Insta-killing is possible in Angband

    For example, the Great Wyrm of Many Colours can inflict 500 damage in an
    instant breath attack. While most players are above that amount, this
    unique can summon additional dragons that also have powerful breath
    attacks.

    The counter to this is to teleport away when things become intense, but
    there are a few cases where you don't have the time to escape (e.g. the
    Great Wyrm next to a DracoLich, both of which can breathe at the same time,
    annihilating your character.)

    Raymond Martineau <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote:
    >Insta-killing is possible in Angband

    Insta-killing is "possible" in any game. The problem is when it's
    impossible to defend against. You can't possibly have enough hit points
    or resistance or anything else that would let a Moria player survive an
    Ancient Multi-Hued Dragon (AMHD) breathing on you.

    >For example, the Great Wyrm of Many Colours can inflict 500 damage in an
    >instant breath attack.

    That's nothing. You can defend against this by having more than 500
    HP and/or the appropriate resistances.

    > While most players are above that amount, this unique can summon
    >additional dragons that also have powerful breath attacks.
    >
    >The counter to this is to teleport away when things become intense...

    A scroll of destruction is a much more reliable way of surviving such
    an encounter.

    > but there are a few cases where you don't have the time to escape
    >(e.g. the Great Wyrm next to a DracoLich, both of which can breathe at
    >the same time, annihilating your character.)

    I've never encountered such a case. On the other hand getting one-shotted
    by an AMHD you never saw is not an uncommon occurance in Moria for any
    player that manages gets low enough in the dungeon. Once you get to
    the levels where they appear surviving becomes more dependent on luck
    than skill. This is bad game design.

    Ross Ridge

    --

    Yeah. Each time my @ sees a D he shudders... :-)

    > That's nothing. You can defend against this by having more than 500
    > HP and/or the appropriate resistances.

    Or be an expert at the Dragon Dance... :-)

    > I've never encountered such a case. On the other hand getting
    > one-shotted by an AMHD you never saw is not an uncommon occurance in
    > Moria for any player that manages gets low enough in the dungeon.
    > Once you get to the levels where they appear surviving becomes more
    > dependent on luck than skill. This is bad game design.

    Did you ever beat the Balrog? I didn't... :'-(

    --

    > I'm sure you can find a version with lower requirements.

    Yes, this is the super-tweaked-up hi-tech version. I used to play it a LOT
    on my first PC (IBM PS/2-30, 8086 processor, 640 kb RAM, MCGA graphics, 20
    MB HD...) - but I couldn't find any older version last time I looked.

    [http://www.piratehaven.org/~beej/moria/]

    --

    Arcana Dragon <this@ress.is.invalid> skrev i meddelelsen

    > Yes, this is the super-tweaked-up hi-tech version. I used to play it a

    "it" - meaning the ancient version. Not the advanced one. Jeez, I really
    need to learn to read my msgs before pressing "Send"... :-)

    --
    Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
    d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u
    LB®----uAnC+nH++nP+nI----nPT-nS+++nT----o---oE---xz
    http://www.phyton.dk/games.htm
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > Of course, this is the hundredth or so time this question has
    > been asked and answered in this newsgroup. I quess someone
    > always posts it again when not much else is happening.

    True, but the answers might change over time :)

    --
    Iphigenie

    Games of the moment: Spellforce, Sacred, HL2
    Most wanted games: Call of Cthulhu, SWAT4

    http://iphi.net
    Iphi's game news: http://www.iphi.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi?mode=games
    Iphi's UK bargain watch: http://www.iphi.net/more.php?id=102_0_1_0_M
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article <Xns95EDF24921FDiphi@130.133.1.4>, Iphigenie <iphi@imagis.ch> wrote:

    >> Of course, this is the hundredth or so time this question has
    >> been asked and answered in this newsgroup. I quess someone
    >> always posts it again when not much else is happening.
    >
    >True, but the answers might change over time :)

    ..and there's always a new generation joining the group.

    I recall when regular bars and pubs in my city [ as opposed to nightclubs ]
    started to have strippers. I was young--they were great. Some decades later
    they are still going strong. I asked a stripper once why hasn't the attraction got
    stale and disappeared ? She replied, " There's always a new group of 19 yr
    olds coming along ".

    And it's true. When I see topics, questions, debates on newsgroups which are
    old hat to me--I have to remind myself they're new and fresh to many others.

    Jim
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Arcana Dragon <this@ress.is.invalid> wrote:
    >Did you ever beat the Balrog? I didn't... :'-(

    Nope, never really got into Moria. Beat Angband a number of times though

    Ross Ridge

    --
    l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
    [oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
    -()-/()/ http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/rridge/
    db //
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 20:30:39 +0000 (UTC), rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross
    Ridge) wrote:

    >rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross Ridge) wrote:
    >>I like Angband better. Having a monster than can automatically kill
    >>any player with no defence is not a good design decision in a game that
    >>doesn't let you reload after you die.
    >
    >Raymond Martineau <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote:
    >>Insta-killing is possible in Angband
    >
    >Insta-killing is "possible" in any game. The problem is when it's
    >impossible to defend against. You can't possibly have enough hit points
    >or resistance or anything else that would let a Moria player survive an
    >Ancient Multi-Hued Dragon (AMHD) breathing on you.
    >
    >>For example, the Great Wyrm of Many Colours can inflict 500 damage in an
    >>instant breath attack.
    >
    >That's nothing. You can defend against this by having more than 500
    >HP and/or the appropriate resistances.

    Actually, the 500 is after factoring in the resistances. A player around
    that depth who doesn't have the most basic of resistances is already dead.

    From recent experimentation, summoned monsters (from other monsters) seem
    to have a chance of making an attack before you can even make your first
    step. Thus, there's always a chance that the single high-level dragon's
    summoned monsters can nail you within one round, even if it's unlikely.

    >> but there are a few cases where you don't have the time to escape
    >>(e.g. the Great Wyrm next to a DracoLich, both of which can breathe at
    >>the same time, annihilating your character.)
    >
    >I've never encountered such a case. On the other hand getting one-shotted
    >by an AMHD you never saw is not an uncommon occurance in Moria for any
    >player that manages gets low enough in the dungeon. Once you get to
    >the levels where they appear surviving becomes more dependent on luck
    >than skill. This is bad game design.

    It's actually possible. There's always a small chance that you enter a
    dungeon next to a monster pit - specifically next to the door (just as what
    happened in a recent test run that I was doing). When it opens, almost
    every monster in the pit gets a free breath attack or otherwise dangerous
    ranged attack. (Of course, it was a Demon pit, meaning that I flee before
    being slaughtered.)

    IIRC, Moria was designed to be unwinnable. When the author discovered that
    one player managed to win the game without cheating, he quietly closed the
    loop-hole used and created a new monster in tribute to the victory. It's a
    good design, since it meets the requirements perfectly. :)
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article <oMVKd.207249$Xk.136518@pd7tw3no>, bombelly@wahs.ac says...

    > .and there's always a new generation joining the group.
    >
    > I recall when regular bars and pubs in my city [ as opposed to nightclubs ]
    > started to have strippers. I was young--they were great. Some decades later
    > they are still going strong. I asked a stripper once why hasn't the attraction got
    > stale and disappeared ? She replied, " There's always a new group of 19 yr
    > olds coming along ".

    Do they replace the strippers, too, or is your city a haven for vintage
    performers?

    - Gerry Quinn
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article <MPG.1c66e88f78667424989d92@news.indigo.ie>
    , Gerry Quinn <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie> wrote:

    >Do they replace the strippers, too, or is your city a haven for vintage
    >performers?
    >
    >- Gerry Quinn

    Vancouver. An old stripper would be in her early 20's :-)

    Jim
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Raymond Martineau <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote:
    >IIRC, Moria was designed to be unwinnable. When the author discovered that
    >one player managed to win the game without cheating, he quietly closed the
    >loop-hole used and created a new monster in tribute to the victory. It's a
    >good design, since it meets the requirements perfectly. :)

    Designing a game like this to be unwinnable is bad game design.

    Ross Ridge

    --
    l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
    [oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
    -()-/()/ http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/rridge/
    db //
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 29 Jan 2005 23:48:40 GMT, Iphigenie <iphi@imagis.ch> wrote:

    >> Of course, this is the hundredth or so time this question has
    >> been asked and answered in this newsgroup. I quess someone
    >> always posts it again when not much else is happening.
    >
    >True, but the answers might change over time :)

    The greatest rpg of all time is, of course, Grimoire. It was created
    by the greatest programmer.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    bono wrote:
    > On 29 Jan 2005 23:48:40 GMT, Iphigenie <iphi@imagis.ch> wrote:
    >

    >>>Of course, this is the hundredth or so time this question has
    >>>been asked and answered in this newsgroup. I quess someone
    >>>always posts it again when not much else is happening.
    >>
    >>True, but the answers might change over time :)
    >

    > The greatest rpg of all time is, of course, Grimoire. It was created
    > by the greatest programmer.

    What ever happened to it??? Cleve?
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    prnaychopra@gmail.com once tried to test me with:

    > List you favorite rpg game, give a rating, and tell the site.

    World of Warcraft. 9.8 out of 10.

    You can get info at www.worldofwarcraft.com.

    --

    Knight37

  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 00:14:00 -0700, James Garvin wrote:

    > bono wrote:

    >>>True, but the answers might change over time :)
    >>

    >> The greatest rpg of all time is, of course, Grimoire. It was created
    >> by the greatest programmer.
    >
    > What ever happened to it??? Cleve?

    Well, one night I stormed the bunker, shot him, buried him in a shallow
    grave and made myself his doppleganger. He was right all along you know....
    <g>
    --
    RJB
    2/1/2005 8:49:33 AM

    "Success is that old ABC -- ability, breaks, and courage."
    -Charles Luckman
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    RJB wrote:

    > On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 00:14:00 -0700, James Garvin wrote:
    >

    >>bono wrote:

    >>>The greatest rpg of all time is, of course, Grimoire. It was created
    >>>by the greatest programmer.
    >>
    >>What ever happened to it??? Cleve?
    >

    > Well, one night I stormed the bunker, shot him, buried him in a shallow
    > grave and made myself his doppleganger. He was right all along you know....
    > <g>

    LOL...Did you see the picture on RPG dot? He makes me look like an
    Ethiopian! Cleve, I thought you were 250lbs of pure muscle...
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 10:01:08 -0700, James Garvin wrote:

    > RJB wrote:

    >>>What ever happened to it??? Cleve?
    >>

    >> Well, one night I stormed the bunker, shot him, buried him in a shallow
    >> grave and made myself his doppleganger. He was right all along you know....
    >> <g>
    >
    > LOL...Did you see the picture on RPG dot? He makes me look like an
    > Ethiopian! Cleve, I thought you were 250lbs of pure muscle...

    You mean this one?: http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1016

    I can swear I remember him saying once he was in ninja training or
    something along those lines. Ever see Beverly Hills Ninja? <g>
    --
    RJB
    2/1/2005 11:58:59 AM

    Doh!
    --Homer Simpson
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    RJB wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 10:01:08 -0700, James Garvin wrote:
    >

    >>RJB wrote:

    >>>Well, one night I stormed the bunker, shot him, buried him in a shallow
    >>>grave and made myself his doppleganger. He was right all along you know....
    >>><g>
    >>
    >>LOL...Did you see the picture on RPG dot? He makes me look like an
    >>Ethiopian! Cleve, I thought you were 250lbs of pure muscle...
    >

    > You mean this one?: http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1016
    >
    > I can swear I remember him saying once he was in ninja training or
    > something along those lines. Ever see Beverly Hills Ninja? <g>

    ROTFLMAO...That's it!
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Pool of Radiance - the old goldbox....
    Rating? Umm... whne I was playing it, I thought it was great. Now? It'd get
    killed for poor graphics and sound.
    The site? Umm... maybe the Underdogs have it. I don't know if SSI is even
    around anymore.

    <prnaychopra@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > List you favorite rpg game, give a rating, and tell the site.

  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 28 Jan 2005 14:02:07 -0800, prnaychopra@gmail.com dared speak in
    front of ME:

    >List you favorite rpg game, give a rating, and tell the site.

    Usenet.
    Unrated.
    news.individual.net
    --
    Address no longer works.
    try removing all numbers from

    well I like all final fantasy and Diablo1 and Diablo2 and zelda and
    Mario Sunshine and super mario 64 and much more

PC gaming Games IBM RPG Video Games