Anyone playing EVE Online - Exodus Expansion?

Looks like there was a free expansion put out last month.

I like the idea in EVE that EVERYONE is all in the same universe. They claim
almost 57.000 people are playing in it.
I dis-like the idea like most other MMORPG's where you have 20 - 30 servers
full of unknown amount of people.
Bet many of them are all bots :-)
What does each WoW or SW: Galaxies server hold? 5000 players?

http://www.eve-online.com/
9 answers Last reply
More about anyone playing online exodus expansion

    > I like the idea in EVE that EVERYONE is all in the same universe. They
    > claim almost 57.000 people are playing in it.
    > I dis-like the idea like most other MMORPG's where you have 20 - 30
    > servers full of unknown amount of people.
    > Bet many of them are all bots :-)
    > What does each WoW or SW: Galaxies server hold? 5000 players?
    >
    > http://www.eve-online.com/ >

    Been playing EVE since July of 2003. I dont plan on stopping anytime soon.
    The amount of people playing at the same time, the most I seen is some over
    12000 or so, but its probably true there is 57k or so player character
    (customers) to EVE. EVE got nice out of game as well as ingame player
    communities, corps's, alliances, clans whatever. We get new content and
    patches all the time, its a very much alive game.

    Hi,

    how different is Eve from other mmorpg ?

    I liked a lot EQ1 and DAOC in the past and now Im looking for something new.

    tx

    On 2005-01-29, Chuck <nospammm@no__spam.com> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > how different is Eve from other mmorpg ?

    you don't up skills by doing things. you up them by training
    which just takes time. this means you don't have to grind to
    advance your character (unless its grinding for money).

    the upside is you can train offline while you're at work. just
    setup your char to train and log off. the downside is everyone
    who is playing right now will be eons ahead of you and you will
    *never* catch up no matter how hard you work.

    > the downside is everyone
    > who is playing right now will be eons ahead of you and you will
    > *never* catch up no matter how hard you work.

    well that doesnt too good then :(

    In article <362jl2F4sukdnU1@individual.net>,
    "Chuck" <nospammm@no__spam.com> wrote:

    >> the downside is everyone
    >> who is playing right now will be eons ahead of you and you will
    >> *never* catch up no matter how hard you work.
    >
    >well that doesnt too good then :(

    What prevented me from playing, and I wanted to, was the minimum
    screen resolution of 1024x768. I really don't understand a company
    designing a game which precludes the widest possible market.

    I wish I had my eyes when I was 20, but......... :-(

    Jim

    > the upside is you can train offline while you're at work. just
    > setup your char to train and log off. the downside is everyone
    > who is playing right now will be eons ahead of you and you will
    > *never* catch up no matter how hard you work.

    Well, thats not entire true.

    Each skill got 5 levels you can train of it. Each skill got a rank ranging
    from 1 to 8, where a rank 8 skill take 8 times the time to train of a rank 1
    skill. Training from level 4 to level 5 in a skill take a long time. Some up
    to close 2 months time. There is some 200 skills if not more you can train.
    Not everyone train the same skills, or focus on same professions. Its not
    about catch up with others, but to make your character the way you want it
    to be. When I started out there was no such skills as advanced learning
    skills, implants to enhance attributes etc.

    Of course you will never catch up with someone that have played for 2 years
    time, but thats not the point either. The point is to develop and grow your
    character after your own head, and seek out a profession or career you want
    to embark on.

    There is no endless camping of mobs or other things to gain experience to
    advance, all is real time training of skills, that trains whether you are
    online or not. Space is divided by security ranging from 1.0 to 0.0. 1.0 to
    0.5 you are safe from other players fire at you, unless you are involved in
    a corp war or similar. 0.4 to 0.1 is mostly lawless, 0.0 is survival of
    strongest.

    Thta's not exactly true. If you manage to kill someone and then kill
    them again before they get a new clone... they start all over =)

    Also, the point of the game is not to catch up with anyone. The only
    reason you need to catch up to someone is if you want to do a solo 1on1
    fight which is rare. The game is about as realistic as possible as in
    you have to learn to make thing and fly ships and use weapons. But even
    a new player whos been playing three months has the potential to take
    down someone whos played for a year. It all depends on the situation
    but the majority of the game isn't pvp. There's always the chance but
    it's not the purpose.

    The game space is split up into two areas. Empire and Non-empire.
    Empire space is considered safe except for the occasional highjacking
    which you will likely never be the subject of. Empire space is split
    into hundreads of solar systems whos security status range between 0.0
    and 1.0. 0.5 up to 1.0 are about as safe as you get. Wehn under 0.4
    you're typically safe at gates and station but pvp is allowed around
    planets and anywhere not near stations/gates.

    The second region of space, non-empire, is typically controlled by
    player corps and alliances who band together to cliam a section of
    space for themselves where rare and exotic ores can be found as well as
    very dangers computer pirates. Access to the areas are typically
    resricted by the controlling body unless you join thier alliance, are
    very friendly, or buy passes. If you're caught in these areas, expect
    to be hunted.

    The process of dying has two level. Everyone can fly a ship and the
    ship isn't actually you per say. you can buy new ships and swap between
    them as you wish. If a ship is destroyed you still have your lifepod.
    If that is destroyed you die. =) But nothing happens from dying short
    of being returned to the station you have your clone set to. When you
    die you need to buy a new clone. If your clone doesn't cover your skill
    points, you'll lose any skill points beyond your clone, so good
    practice is to keep an updated clone at all time.

    Thiings to do in eve include mining, building everything there is,
    research blueprints which are used for building, hunting npc which can
    be profitable, running your own stations which provide rare minerals
    for advanced production, running your own corp... etc, etc, etc. There
    is almost an endless way to entertain yourself. Some even play the
    player controlled market.

    The market consisit of items being sold by player all over the universe
    as well as some NPC supplys. You can sell at whatever price you wish
    where ever you wish. Some study the market and sell items at
    extravagant prices in locations they aren't common to make excess
    profit.

    Ah, 6 paragraphs is enough for now. Catch me in game as Resin Kadir or
    Trina Kadir =)

    On 2005-02-09, Resink <cherryslushy@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Thta's not exactly true. If you manage to kill someone and then kill
    > them again before they get a new clone... they start all over =)

    This almost never happens. You come out of a station with a
    cloning service. You can just buy a new clone upon death.

    I'm surprised they haven't made this automatic. Some skills take
    a month to learn.

PC gaming World Of Warcraft Servers Video Games Product