Be Carrefull with the 17x SAMSUNG

kikinoulator

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
I just purchase a 172X Samsung LCD Monitor.
It s beautiful...
It s run well ....
But there s one BIG PROBLEM on my LCD....
One Pixel is Dead !
I never use it...
I sended an email to my shop Page Computer, they asked me to call SAMSUNG.
I call Samsung 2 times.
Each Time the same ANSER.
We ll replace your monitor only if 6 pixels are dead.
It s a shame !
I ll never buy an other product from SAMSUNG !

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
That's not bad at all. Consider yourself lucky. 2-3 dead pixels seems to be the norm with LCD panels.

If it's a real issue for you then you must check out the dead pixel procedure before buying your LCD. I would not be mad at the dealer or Samsung since the mistake was yours.

I have some respect for Samsung as a company and feel they're one of the LCD leaders right now. I have a trusty Samsung CRT for 5 years now that works as good as when I bought it.

I don't like dead pixels either but if they have to throw every LCD monitor in the dumpster that has a dead pixel the price we all pay will be very high. LCD technology is not perfect yet so this is the price we pay. Of course I'd only buy from a dealer with a zero dead pixel policy...so I'm a hippocrite...and I like that about myself :)

<A HREF="http://www.proactivedesign.net/eric" target="_new">More than you want to know about me . . .</A>

Ion

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Dont mean to be offensive, but Samsung will replace your panel if dead pixel appear within 7 days of purchase, also Samsung will replace it if 3 dead pixels appears. The 6 dead pixels policy belong to the old warranty, it does not apply to 172x.

PS. forgot to mention any dead pixel within 8cm from centre of the screen will grant you a replacement(after 7 days).

Asus A7N8X Deluxe, Xp 2500+(3200+), 512MB RAM, HIS Radeon 9500Pro<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Ion on 03/31/04 04:59 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Kwaidan

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2004
Correction. Samsung will not replace your monitor if one dead pixel is present on the 172x or any other monitor. I called them up to ask them and they said that it is 7 dead pixels on a 17" LCD before they replace it whether it's 1 day out of the box or 7 it doesn't matter. I told them that I saw that they had a zero dead pixel policy on this web site and they said that this is incorrect and they use the ISO standard of 7 dead pixels.

AragornJDL

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2004
Ion, where did you get that information? It sounds a little too good to be true. Was it by email or phone call, and does the same warranty apply to all markets? I just noticed this post is old, but ask it anyway.

Ion

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
According to leading magzines in australia samsung apply that policy to 172x. I was stunned at first but after seeing most reviews agree on its performace/warranty policy(australia), i believed them. Personally i am waiting for my local vendor to get 172x in stock, if samsung withdraw that zero pixel policy i will have to re-consider my purchase......

PS.172x on short supply here for over 3 weeks now. :mad:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe, Xp 2500+(3200+), 512MB RAM, HIS Radeon 9500Pro

AragornJDL

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2004
Well I decided to just do it and bought a Samsung 172x. It just arrived today, and I must say it is gorgeous! It looks way sexier in person than I thought it would. Very pleased so far.

However...there appears to be one semi-stuck blue sub-pixel in the lower right hand quarter of the screen. I was extremely paranoid about the dead pixel issue, but it really isnt bad actually. I cant believe I of all people am saying it. But it's not much different than a tiny speck of lint or a tiny scratch on the screen would be. I am a pretty anal person, so it's surprising that I'm not more upset about it.

Anyway, I haven't had a chance to really put it through the paces with games and movies, so I'll report back with my findings then.

Kwaidan

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2004
Congratulations!

I know exactly what you mean...I'm super anal and even I don't mind that one little blown out pixel on the right hand side...like a spec of dust that you can hardly notice. Anyway, let me know what you think about the gameplay and movie quality (I think I told you about my opinions on it before).