fbgkimpan

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Hello!
I'm about to move into a new flat and with that I thought I was going to upgrade my internet. (I'm just moving one floor up in the building).

Right now, I got a 24/1mbit through Tele2 in Sweden. http://www.speedtest.net/result/2471382539.png

However, I got two internet providers to pick from now... and I find it really hard to pick, therefore Im here to seek advice.
So.. I'm going to use the same internet provider for tv etc so you know.
My options;

Tele2 - Can offer me 150-250mbit/30-50mbit cabel+ tv,phone for 50 euro / month.
Telia - 100/10 or 100/100 FIBER + tv, phone for 50 euro / 55 euro / month

What do I use my internet for?: Some downloading, mostly TV Shows and .flac music (Through waffles.fm) Gaming (LoL, BF3 etc).
My GF uses it for Origin downloads (Reinstalling her The Sims quite often).

Any advice?

Performance wise I doubt you will see a difference it is unlikely you could even come close to the speeds they offer.

Depends on the fiber solution. Cable you share the connection to your house with all your neighbors so their traffic can have a affect. Some fiber solutions you get your own path to the first switch and there you have to compete with your neighbors but it is not as bad. It really depends exactly how they implement the fiber but 100/100 plan sounds like it the last mile is dedicated.

fbgkimpan

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for your answer.
What do you mean with the last mile is dedicated? (English is not my mother language).

Around the area I live, there aint alot of young people. Mostly old people.

It feels like we never use upload speed. But who knows, maybe its because we never had any? And if lets say, we get 200mbit from the cable, wouldnt that benefit us more (talking about downloading etc) then the 100mbit fiber?

fbgkimpan

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
As you said, performance wise it wouldnt matter? If thats the case I could really just go for the company I like the most?
Damnet, this is so hard to decide.

Isent the diffrences like.. the cable = if I want higher download and fiber if I want higher upload? Or would the fiber be faster download than the cable?

last mile is a term used to refer to the last part of the connection that runs to your house or business.

Cable is pretty standard in how its implemented you will see most vendors using something called docsis3 so its easy to predict how it will...or will not perform.

Fiber is very hard to say. Some vendors do it old school and use ethernet and switches. Others use things like DSL over fiber and still other use wave division to transmit multiple color laser over the same fiber.

Higher upload will likely not make a difference. The only way I have seen it make a difference (assume you are not running a web server) is when people VPN to their house to bypass restrictions their work/school puts on them. In that case you need more upload bandwidth than your general user.

fbgkimpan

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Hello!

So I decided to go for the Fiber, so today I called up the internet provider to get it.. and just to make sure I asked what speed they promis me, they answered me that they'll promis me any speed between 50-100/50-100mbit.

I told them I'd get back because this changes things.

Should I still go for the fiber even tho they only can promis me 50-100/50-100 ?

I mean, if Im unlucky Ill end up with a 50/50 fiber. If Id go for the cable broadband atleast the worst thing I can get is 150/30. (I spoke to them and they said if its lower, they will fix it for me).

Thoughts?

Call the cable company and ask them what exactly 150/30 means. They too will not be able to promise anything.

Almost all consumer grade and small business internet connection are "best effort". Mean they quote the best possible speed and they will try to deliver but will not provide any form of guarantee. If there is not a clause that says if we fail to deliver xx rate we will pay you money then they can pretty much charge you money and give you 1bit/sec and still not be in violation.

This is why internet links with service level agreements on them cost so much. The link I am on right now at work has a guaranteed minimum bandwidth of 3g up and down and I can burst it to the full 10g interface...of course if we use more than 3g average for long periods of time the will increase the charge.