WoW is down again -- what a coincidence, I cancelled my su..

Last response: in Video Games
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 30, 2005 6:51:34 PM

I'm really tired of this game's technical issues. Anyone else find that
there is more server down times or lag here than in other MMORPGs? My
subscription ends tomorrow, and I'm not going to renew. Gives me free time
to live again, yipee, I feel reborn. The sky is so blue outside, and that
little cloud over there, it looks just like a gnome atop a
robo-bird-thingy...it's going to take some time to recover.
January 30, 2005 6:51:35 PM

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:51:34 -0500, Grackle wrote:

> I'm really tired of this game's technical issues. Anyone else find that
> there is more server down times or lag here than in other MMORPGs? My
> subscription ends tomorrow, and I'm not going to renew. Gives me free time
> to live again, yipee, I feel reborn. The sky is so blue outside, and that
> little cloud over there, it looks just like a gnome atop a
> robo-bird-thingy...it's going to take some time to recover.

Nope, I have had NO problems with server crashes, etc. Pick a different
server if you have problems with the one you're on. Yeah, I know it's hard
to give up on a toon and start over, but that's really your only option
other than quitting entirely...

Shimrod
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 30, 2005 6:51:35 PM

In article <kNbLd.805$Ck1.238556@news20.bellglobal.com>,
nowhere@lalaland.ca says...
> I'm really tired of this game's technical issues. Anyone else find that
> there is more server down times or lag here than in other MMORPGs? My
> subscription ends tomorrow, and I'm not going to renew. Gives me free time
> to live again, yipee, I feel reborn. The sky is so blue outside, and that
> little cloud over there, it looks just like a gnome atop a
> robo-bird-thingy...it's going to take some time to recover.

LOL, your post gets the award for dumbest post.

WoW doesn't even have CLOSE to the problems and downtime of EVERY other
MMORPG on the market. They have less problems, with twice the
subscribers (would be more but they quit selling new copies) of any
other one out there.

--
Rob Berryhill
Anonymous

"Rob Berryhill" <rob_berryhill@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <kNbLd.805$Ck1.238556@news20.bellglobal.com>,
> nowhere@lalaland.ca says...
> > I'm really tired of this game's technical issues. Anyone else find that
> > there is more server down times or lag here than in other MMORPGs? My
> > subscription ends tomorrow, and I'm not going to renew. Gives me free
time
> > to live again, yipee, I feel reborn. The sky is so blue outside, and
that
> > little cloud over there, it looks just like a gnome atop a
> > robo-bird-thingy...it's going to take some time to recover.
> >

> LOL, your post gets the award for dumbest post.
>
> WoW doesn't even have CLOSE to the problems and downtime of EVERY other
> MMORPG on the market. They have less problems, with twice the
> subscribers (would be more but they quit selling new copies) of any
> other one out there.

Hmmm. I started playing CoH soon after it launched, and I don't recall
downtime anything near what WoW subscribers are experiencing.

Perhaps you are overgeneralizing?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 30, 2005 8:29:01 PM

"Rob Berryhill" <rob_berryhill@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <kNbLd.805$Ck1.238556@news20.bellglobal.com>,
> nowhere@lalaland.ca says...
>> I'm really tired of this game's technical issues. Anyone else find that
>> there is more server down times or lag here than in other MMORPGs? My
>> subscription ends tomorrow, and I'm not going to renew. Gives me free
>> time
>> to live again, yipee, I feel reborn. The sky is so blue outside, and
>> that
>> little cloud over there, it looks just like a gnome atop a
>> robo-bird-thingy...it's going to take some time to recover.
>>

> LOL, your post gets the award for dumbest post.

LOL, your post doesn't deserve my attention.
January 30, 2005 8:52:38 PM

> LOL, your post gets the award for dumbest post.

I think yours is the dumbest , sorry.

Everyone knows Blizzard is having a hard time with their servers, wake up.
They even give free days of playing because of all the troubles they have.

And btw , I cant remember seing a single server down in DAOC except for
scheduled patchs.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 30, 2005 10:10:32 PM

"Rob Berryhill" <rob_berryhill@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> WoW doesn't even have CLOSE to the problems and downtime of EVERY other
> MMORPG on the market.

Um, Rob. Your extreme fanboyism is really going off the deepend now. Relax
and stop taking personally every single negative comment about your baby.
Yes, it's a fun game. But come on, when you start denying reality you know
it's time to get a grip.

--
Bob Perez

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they
quit playing."
- Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 12:34:25 AM

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:51:34 -0500, "Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca>
wrote:

>I'm really tired of this game's technical issues. Anyone else find that
>there is more server down times or lag here than in other MMORPGs? My
>subscription ends tomorrow, and I'm not going to renew. Gives me free time
>to live again, yipee, I feel reborn. The sky is so blue outside, and that
>little cloud over there, it looks just like a gnome atop a
>robo-bird-thingy...it's going to take some time to recover.

Sounds like somebody didn't play Ultima Online any time around launch.
Or Anarchy Online. Or Star Wars: Galaxies. Or Horizons. Or even
Everquest, though that one wasn't nearly as bad as the others.

Seriously, WoW is probably the second smoothest launch in online
gaming history, next to Asheron's Call.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 12:34:26 AM

>Sounds like somebody didn't play Ultima Online any time around launch.
>Or Anarchy Online. Or Star Wars: Galaxies. Or Horizons. Or even
>Everquest, though that one wasn't nearly as bad as the others.

I was going to say this, and then... well, you said it for me.

C//
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 12:34:26 AM

"drocket" <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:51:34 -0500, "Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca>
> wrote:
>
>>I'm really tired of this game's technical issues. Anyone else find that
>>there is more server down times or lag here than in other MMORPGs? My
>>subscription ends tomorrow, and I'm not going to renew. Gives me free
>>time
>>to live again, yipee, I feel reborn. The sky is so blue outside, and that
>>little cloud over there, it looks just like a gnome atop a
>>robo-bird-thingy...it's going to take some time to recover.
>
> Sounds like somebody didn't play Ultima Online any time around launch.
> Or Anarchy Online. Or Star Wars: Galaxies. Or Horizons. Or even
> Everquest, though that one wasn't nearly as bad as the others.
>
> Seriously, WoW is probably the second smoothest launch in online
> gaming history, next to Asheron's Call.

Asheron's Call had the most reliable server time of anything I remember
since. Even if WoW is down rarely, in the past month it has been down at
very inconvenient times, like my prime playing time. Today, Sunday
afternoon, my world was no longer on the list. Very annoying. The longest
I've seen the login announcement screen not announcing some problem is about
three days in a row.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 12:34:26 AM

"drocket" <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Sounds like somebody didn't play Ultima Online any time around launch.
> Or Anarchy Online. Or Star Wars: Galaxies. Or Horizons. Or even
> Everquest, though that one wasn't nearly as bad as the others.

Yep, Ultima Online's lag issues were probably the worst of any of these.
Anarchy Online's launch was worse in the sense that the game was full of
bugs, particularly with missions. SWG's launch was worlds better than any of
the others in terms of being able to play. They did have problems the first
day or two. But guys, this is January, and WoW's been out since, what,
November? And they're still having major problems that require 16-hour
downtimes for hot fixes, long queues (30-40 mins) to get online to popular
servers, and warning signon messages about losing items in the Auction
houses, etc.

--
Bob Perez

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they
quit playing."
- Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 6:51:53 AM

"Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote in message
> I'm really tired of this game's technical issues. Anyone else find that

what a coincidence i tried to log in to cancel EQ2 and Lava storm was down

choad
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 7:01:06 AM

>From: "Grackle" nowhere@lalaland.ca
>Date: 1/30/2005 12:51 PM Pacific Standard Time
>
>I'm really tired of this game's technical issues. Anyone else find that
>there is more server down times or lag here than in other MMORPGs? My
>subscription ends tomorrow, and I'm not going to renew. Gives me free time
>to live again, yipee, I feel reborn. The sky is so blue outside, and that
>little cloud over there, it looks just like a gnome atop a
>robo-bird-thingy...it's going to take some time to recover.

Sorry to hear you are having that much trouble, thus far the game runs pretty
smooth for me.

-Well, God was my co-pilot....but we crashed into a mountain and I had to eat
Him.

www.atar.com/alexmars (yet another useless web site)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 7:01:07 AM

"Alexander Mars" <alexmars@aol.comspamnerf> wrote in message
> >From: "Grackle" nowhere@lalaland.ca
>>Date: 1/30/2005 12:51 PM Pacific Standard Time
>>
>>I'm really tired of this game's technical issues. Anyone else find that
>>there is more server down times or lag here than in other MMORPGs? My
>>subscription ends tomorrow, and I'm not going to renew. Gives me free
>>time
>>to live again, yipee, I feel reborn. The sky is so blue outside, and that
>>little cloud over there, it looks just like a gnome atop a
>>robo-bird-thingy...it's going to take some time to recover.
>>

> Sorry to hear you are having that much trouble, thus far the game runs
> pretty
> smooth for me.
>

> -Well, God was my co-pilot....but we crashed into a mountain and I had to
> eat
> Him.
>
> www.atar.com/alexmars (yet another useless web site)

Ran flawlessly tonight, lot's of fun in a quest (with an excellent group).
What can I say, when it's good, it's real good, when I can't log in after a
long day of work, it really pisses me off. Cancelling now, I still have a
lvl 34 char waiting for me when I re-subscribe, and it's still the best
MMORPG I've played in a long time. But it's good to take a break sometimes.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 7:02:08 AM

"Bob Perez" <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote in message

> "drocket" <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > Sounds like somebody didn't play Ultima Online any time around launch.
> > Or Anarchy Online. Or Star Wars: Galaxies. Or Horizons. Or even
> > Everquest, though that one wasn't nearly as bad as the others.

Lets just say I had tons of experience questing. Prepare to be frustrated.

Broken Encounters (mobs break, no credit)
Camping (almost as bad as EQ1 camping, and much less civil)
Unspawning mobs (unless you play right after server reset)
Broken Quest updates (See : Mastery Quests)
Instance Zones require 3-6 (or even 12 or more) to enter.
Spend hours LFG
Can't do any quest mobs post 20 without group.
Spend hours LFG.
Greyed out quest mobs (can't complete quests.. aka Languages)
Nerfs! (ooh, you're too powerful)
Spend hours LFG
Working as intended.
Tradeskills borked
Oh, that staff you need to finish the axe quest? well, it can't be
made.

Overall, I stopped having fun about level 30, at about 600 completed quests.
Then it became an impossible grind. Waiting 3 days for Bloodtalon, Wasting
everyone's time in Cove only to have octo break, Unable to get mobs to spawn
in RoV. I'd rather play a 'kiddie game' that WORKS than try and work around
broken quests..

All the fanboys will cry 'It's a new game, they will fix it'. Well, guess
what, If I spend 4 hours getting a group together to try and do octogorgon
(p.s. it's GREY to everyone), so I can advance quest.. (ooh, wait, need a
group to even get to zone to do it), only to find it's broken, what have I
ended up with? Hmm.. I'm 4 hours older, and much wiser. I stopped playing
the game for the simple reason that it's broken for questers. There is no
solo play, there never has been solo play, and there never will be solo
play. Unless you can live in moms basement, you can't put in the time
required to get a group to do an instance to advance your quest on later
levels..

But, good luck anyway.. I'm only 33 in that other game, but I'm still having
a blast. Can get a sense of accomplishment when I can only play 1 hour or so
at night. Yes, quests are simpler, but, guess what, they are doable!. Maybe
I'll hit 60 in 2 months, and get bored, but I don't see myself getting
FRUSTRATED in that 'other game' like I did here.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 11:27:25 AM

Grackle wrote:
> I'm really tired of this game's technical issues. Anyone else find
> that there is more server down times or lag here than in other
> MMORPGs?

No, I've had practically no down time at all. And so could you and just
about anyone else having issues if you'd have been willing to move to a
low/medium population server, most likely.

--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 11:30:49 AM

Allan C Cybulskie wrote:
> Hmmm. I started playing CoH soon after it launched, and I don't
> recall downtime anything near what WoW subscribers are experiencing.
>
> Perhaps you are overgeneralizing?

Some highly overpopulated servers are indeed having some problems.

I played CoH shortly after it launched, too, and the problems I've had on
the WoW server I'm playing on are similar to what I experienced during the
month I played CoH--maybe not even so much. I know I don't experience as
much general lag and as many disconnects as I did while playing CoH.

--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 12:50:15 PM

"Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca> writes:

> I'm really tired of this game's technical issues. Anyone else find that
> there is more server down times or lag here than in other MMORPGs? My
> subscription ends tomorrow, and I'm not going to renew. Gives me free time
> to live again, yipee, I feel reborn. The sky is so blue outside, and that
> little cloud over there, it looks just like a gnome atop a
> robo-bird-thingy...it's going to take some time to recover.

Every time I want to play I can login and play. No problems.

--
Scott Streeter
ss@wpi.edu

Bob Perez wrote:
> day or two. But guys, this is January, and WoW's been out since, what,
> November? And they're still having major problems that require 16-hour
> downtimes for hot fixes, long queues (30-40 mins) to get online to popular
> servers, and warning signon messages about losing items in the Auction
> houses, etc.

For what it's worth, the server I play on has some minor
very-liveable lag issues, and none of the other stuff.
People who are packed onto over-crowded servers do have
a legitimate gripe, but the way I'd solve it if it was me
would be to implement the often-discussed migration tool
to let people find happier hunting grounds. Then maybe
open up a couple more nodes and let people roam where they
may.

--
Nathan Engle Computer Support, IUB Psych Dept
nengle@indiana.edu http://mypage.iu.edu/~nengle

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 08:27:25 -0500, chainbreaker wrote:

> Grackle wrote:
>> I'm really tired of this game's technical issues. Anyone else find
>> that there is more server down times or lag here than in other
>> MMORPGs?
>
> No, I've had practically no down time at all. And so could you and just
> about anyone else having issues if you'd have been willing to move to a
> low/medium population server, most likely.

Why should the players have to suffer for Blizzard's failings? How loud
would people have screamed if SOE (or at the time Verant) had not gotten
things worked out and their response was to move to another server. There
is no excuse for that in my book. What if everyone came up with that idea
all at once? One server would be jammed and the rest would be low
populations - end result: same situation. Blizzard needs to step up, bite
the bullet and forcibly start moving people to lower population servers to
spread the load out a bit. It won't solve the problem (and will cause
additional, albeit minor, problems) but at least it may give them a bit
more time to work things out. FYI I play on Earthen Dawn and have *some*
lag problems, but not to the extent most people are having. Then again I
don't play too much anymore.
--
RJB
1/31/2005 10:18:50 AM

I bought some powdered water, but I don't know what to add to it.
--Steven Wright
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 3:19:18 PM

"chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:ctlbnt02udd@news2.newsguy.com...
> Grackle wrote:
>> I'm really tired of this game's technical issues. Anyone else find
>> that there is more server down times or lag here than in other
>> MMORPGs?
>
> No, I've had practically no down time at all. And so could you and just about anyone else having
> issues if you'd have been willing to move to a low/medium population server, most likely.
>
> --
> chainbreaker
>
> If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
> net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.

I am on my 3rd server now. The first server I picked a medium just in case the population problems
of DAoC happened which did not take long to have a queue. Then I picked a low population server, and
it went red ("high") with a server queue. Then I picked another low pop server. I don't plan on
moving again. On the others, I had multiple low level characters, I didn't do things quite right, so
not entirely upset at switching. I have been doing a lot of tradeskills on my current server, and I
have a few good characters going. If I see a queue again, it's time to /cancel.

What really concerns me is that I now experience very distrubing lag during peak hours. The server
is now in the red (high pop), and about every night during 6 EST to 11 EST, there are severe bouts
of lag. What you see on screen is a vague suggestion of what is really happening. 15 seconds to cast
an instant spell. It's not often that bad. Usually, it's like you are on 2-4 second delay.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 3:45:21 PM

"Lopez" <lopez_1_99@yahoo.com> wrote in message

<snip high caffiene rant>

Sounds like that EQ2 isn't for you, is it? So, what exactly is your point
here on the topic of WoW's downtime?

LOL dude you need to seriously chill out and relax with the realization that
it's Ok for some people to have likes and dislikes alike with respect to
both games. EQ2's got all of the problems you cite and others. An equally
motivated EQ2 fanboy could cite all of WoW's and we'd be right back where we
started: laughing at both extremists.

--
Bob Perez

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they
quit playing."
- Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 3:50:36 PM

"Nathan Engle" <nengle@indiana.edu> wrote in message

> For what it's worth, the server I play on has some minor
> very-liveable lag issues, and none of the other stuff.
> People who are packed onto over-crowded servers do have
> a legitimate gripe, but the way I'd solve it if it was me
> would be to implement the often-discussed migration tool
> to let people find happier hunting grounds. Then maybe
> open up a couple more nodes and let people roam where they
> may.

That's what I'm hoping will happen. Unfortunately, the reason my wife and I
chose to play on the server we did is because our son plays there and it's
really the primary reason we play, so we can game online with him. The
reason *he*'s there is because all his friends are there, and so on, and
thus begins the chain of dependencies that will only be broken if everyone
agrees to pack up and move at once, that's if Blizzard even offers up that
option. I'm left wondering why Blizzard even allowed new characters to be
made on servers that couldn't handle them. Anyway, that's our situation and
at this point the benefits still sufficiently outweigh the downsides, so we
wait every night 30-40 minutes to log on and just enjoy less time actually
playing, but we do enjoy it. Fanboys like Berryhill who insist that there's
nothing wrong with his baby will remain in denial, but ... what else is new?
:)

--
Bob Perez

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they
quit playing."
- Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 3:54:15 PM

In article <HcdLd.1554$Ck1.268878@news20.bellglobal.com>,
"Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote:

> > LOL, your post gets the award for dumbest post.

> LOL, your post doesn't deserve my attention.

And yet... <G>

--
Please take off your shoes before arriving at my in-box.
I will not, no matter how "good" the deal, patronise any business which sends

"chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> No, I've had practically no down time at all. And so could you and just
> about anyone else having issues if you'd have been willing to move to a
> low/medium population server, most likely.

Easy for you to say. I chose the server I did because my son plays there and
the primary reason my wife and I play WoW is to be able to play online with
him. He chose the server because ALL of his friends played there, and have
since day one, when no one knew which servers were going to be the most
crowded. All in all, we're willing to put up with the significant ongoing
technical problems and the nightly waits in the queue for 30-40 minutes just
to log in, because we still think it's a net positive experience. Your
flippant attitude about our choice of where to play, as if it were my fault
and I am the one creating my problems, is making you sound pretty fanboyish.
Have you lost your sense of objectivity here?

--
Bob Perez

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they
quit playing."
- Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 4:32:10 PM

>> I'm really tired of this game's technical issues. Anyone else find that
>
> what a coincidence i tried to log in to cancel EQ2 and Lava storm was down

You know, it *is* possible to have a discussion about one game's technical
flaws without feeling so defensive that you have to start pointing out the
flaws in *other* games too. Newsflash: all games have technical flaws! ;-)

--
Bob Perez

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they
quit playing."
- Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes
January 31, 2005 4:32:43 PM

Grackle wrote:

> "Alexander Mars" <alexmars@aol.comspamnerf> wrote in message
> > >From: "Grackle" nowhere@lalaland.ca
> >>Date: 1/30/2005 12:51 PM Pacific Standard Time
> >>
> >>I'm really tired of this game's technical issues. Anyone else find that
> >>there is more server down times or lag here than in other MMORPGs? My
> >>subscription ends tomorrow, and I'm not going to renew. Gives me free
> >>time
> >>to live again, yipee, I feel reborn. The sky is so blue outside, and that
> >>little cloud over there, it looks just like a gnome atop a
> >>robo-bird-thingy...it's going to take some time to recover.
> >>

> > Sorry to hear you are having that much trouble, thus far the game runs
> > pretty
> > smooth for me.
> >

> > -Well, God was my co-pilot....but we crashed into a mountain and I had to
> > eat
> > Him.
> >
> > www.atar.com/alexmars (yet another useless web site)
> >

> Ran flawlessly tonight, lot's of fun in a quest (with an excellent group).
> What can I say, when it's good, it's real good, when I can't log in after a
> long day of work, it really pisses me off. Cancelling now, I still have a
> lvl 34 char waiting for me when I re-subscribe, and it's still the best
> MMORPG I've played in a long time. But it's good to take a break sometimes.

Play NWN.
--

Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the future.

"Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz
January 31, 2005 5:31:24 PM

On 2005-01-30, Rob Berryhill <rob_berryhill@hotmail.com> wrote:
> In article <kNbLd.805$Ck1.238556@news20.bellglobal.com>,
> nowhere@lalaland.ca says...
>> I'm really tired of this game's technical issues. Anyone else find that
>> there is more server down times or lag here than in other MMORPGs? My
>> subscription ends tomorrow, and I'm not going to renew. Gives me free time
>> to live again, yipee, I feel reborn. The sky is so blue outside, and that
>> little cloud over there, it looks just like a gnome atop a
>> robo-bird-thingy...it's going to take some time to recover.
>>

> LOL, your post gets the award for dumbest post.
>
> WoW doesn't even have CLOSE to the problems and downtime of EVERY other
> MMORPG on the market. They have less problems, with twice the
> subscribers (would be more but they quit selling new copies) of any
> other one out there.

Hilarious. Have you been playing WoW? It's the worest
implementation yet of an MMO network hands down. Blizzard even
admits to having under planned.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 5:31:25 PM

In article <1bt63clsao808.dlg@robartle.nospam.hotmail.com>,
RJB <robartle@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote:

> Uh huh. *Where* do I write that I'm pissed off? <g> But then I'm sure the
> folks at Blizzard had that on their agenda when they held back copies of
> the game so I couldn't let the world know the truth.

<G> Things just keep getting conspiricier and conspiricier!

(I know you didn't say you were pissed off -- I was using you as an
iconic placeholder. "No offense", and all that. It was the general
form "if you <blah> then you damned well better <blah>" to which I was
replying...)

--
Please take off your shoes before arriving at my in-box.
I will not, no matter how "good" the deal, patronise any business which sends
unsolicited commercial e-mail or that advertises in discussion newsgroups.
January 31, 2005 5:32:17 PM

On 2005-01-30, drocket <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:51:34 -0500, "Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca>
> wrote:
>
>>I'm really tired of this game's technical issues. Anyone else find that
>>there is more server down times or lag here than in other MMORPGs? My
>>subscription ends tomorrow, and I'm not going to renew. Gives me free time
>>to live again, yipee, I feel reborn. The sky is so blue outside, and that
>>little cloud over there, it looks just like a gnome atop a
>>robo-bird-thingy...it's going to take some time to recover.
>
> Sounds like somebody didn't play Ultima Online any time around launch.
> Or Anarchy Online. Or Star Wars: Galaxies. Or Horizons. Or even
> Everquest, though that one wasn't nearly as bad as the others.
>
> Seriously, WoW is probably the second smoothest launch in online
> gaming history, next to Asheron's Call.

What are you smoking? They're so bad they've given free days out.
January 31, 2005 6:54:03 PM

On 2005-01-31, RJB <robartle@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote:

> Why should the players have to suffer for Blizzard's failings? How loud
> would people have screamed if SOE (or at the time Verant) had not gotten
> things worked out and their response was to move to another server. There
> is no excuse for that in my book. What if everyone came up with that idea
> all at once? One server would be jammed and the rest would be low
> populations - end result: same situation. Blizzard needs to step up, bite
> the bullet and forcibly start moving people to lower population servers to
> spread the load out a bit.

At launch entire guilds were wiped to force players to move. They
already tried this and the backlash was not good.

> It won't solve the problem (and will cause
> additional, albeit minor, problems) but at least it may give them a bit
> more time to work things out. FYI I play on Earthen Dawn and have *some*
> lag problems, but not to the extent most people are having. Then again I
> don't play too much anymore.

I suffered through at least two login server issues during the
first month in the same week. This was after the first
week. That's two nights of no play. Unacceptable.
January 31, 2005 8:09:29 PM

On 2005-01-31, RJB <robartle@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote:

> Notice where I said "and will cause additional, albeit minor, problems.
> Moving an *entire* guild to me isn't a problem. But I noticed you said
> "wiped". If the characters were wiped then that would be a "Cancel
> Subscription Immediately" blunder on their part in my opinion. If they
> broke up the guild and only moved a certain portion of the guilds
> playerbase I could see that as being another cancel now blunder. The only
> other problem I can think of is if one guild had a hate on for another and
> were forced to move killing the rivalry which I would consider a minor
> issue.

The guilds were wiped and the servers were taken down for a
considerable period of time. People complained that they cannot
play with their guild mates because Blizzard wouldn't let them
all sit in one server.

I'm giving WoW two more months before a mass exodus hits
them. This happened with AC2.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 8:09:30 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:09:29 GMT, shadows wrote:

> On 2005-01-31, RJB <robartle@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Notice where I said "and will cause additional, albeit minor, problems.
>> Moving an *entire* guild to me isn't a problem. But I noticed you said
>> "wiped". If the characters were wiped then that would be a "Cancel
>> Subscription Immediately" blunder on their part in my opinion. If they
>> broke up the guild and only moved a certain portion of the guilds
>> playerbase I could see that as being another cancel now blunder. The only
>> other problem I can think of is if one guild had a hate on for another and
>> were forced to move killing the rivalry which I would consider a minor
>> issue.
>
> The guilds were wiped and the servers were taken down for a
> considerable period of time. People complained that they cannot
> play with their guild mates because Blizzard wouldn't let them
> all sit in one server.
Well then I'd say it's time to move on. That to me is a definite no-no. The
developers should never tell you who you can play with. Limiting numbers on
a server to promote stability has to be offset by player convenience in
some cases. Purposely limiting a guild like that should have been avoided.

> I'm giving WoW two more months before a mass exodus hits
> them. This happened with AC2.
I'm not taking any of that action. Cracks are already starting to appear in
their numbers. As for me, I'll continue to play while it's fun.

--
RJB
1/31/2005 12:16:03 PM

If you go flying back through time and you see somebody else flying forward
into the future, it's probably best to avoid eye contact.
--Jack Handy Deep Thoughts
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 8:30:13 PM

wrote:

>I'm really tired of this game's technical issues. Anyone else find that
>there is more server down times or lag here than in other MMORPGs?

Try EQ *1*.

Scheduled 9 hours patch on Wednesday,extended by 2 hours for a total
of 11 hours.

Thursday another 5 hours downtime,this time no announces, to fix the
bugs introduced with the 11 hours downtime patch the day before.

Monday the next emergency server down,again no announcements,
servers down now for 5 hours.

Keep in mind,EQ1 is more than 5 years old now,and they still arent
able to patch in a tolerable time.
Being an European,all these patches start around 1p.m. for me,I would
like to see the outcry from the americans,if all the server downs
would happen at 1 p.m. US time. :)
Besides other issues the game has,this will really make me buy another
Sony game,aka EQ2.

Meldur (waiting for european release of WoW)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 8:30:14 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:30:13 +0100, Meldur wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:51:34 -0500, "Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca>
> wrote:
>
>>I'm really tired of this game's technical issues. Anyone else find that
>>there is more server down times or lag here than in other MMORPGs?
>
> Try EQ *1*.
>
> Scheduled 9 hours patch on Wednesday,extended by 2 hours for a total
> of 11 hours.
>
> Thursday another 5 hours downtime,this time no announces, to fix the
> bugs introduced with the 11 hours downtime patch the day before.
>
> Monday the next emergency server down,again no announcements,
> servers down now for 5 hours.
And this series of events surprises you - why? <g>

> Keep in mind,EQ1 is more than 5 years old now,and they still arent
> able to patch in a tolerable time.
Again... this surprises you - why? <eg>

> Being an European,all these patches start around 1p.m. for me,I would
> like to see the outcry from the americans,if all the server downs
> would happen at 1 p.m. US time. :)
Oh they have screamed. And cried. And demanded their 42 cents back for the
day. On the other hand, complaining of patching interrupting your schedule
when there is a European server available doesn't get any sympathy for me.
I'm sure your character was created before the Euro server opened but you
still have to grant that they will do things on North American time for a
NA server.

> Besides other issues the game has,this will really make me buy another
> Sony game,aka EQ2.
They're completely different games. If EQ1 will make you buy EQ2 you may be
disappointed.

> Meldur (waiting for european release of WoW)
Hopefully the European release will be better for you than for the North
American/Aussies.

--
RJB
1/31/2005 12:06:25 PM

They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
--Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 9:03:59 PM

chainbreaker <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:
> Grackle wrote:
>> I'm really tired of this game's technical issues. Anyone else find
>> that there is more server down times or lag here than in other
>> MMORPGs?
>
> No, I've had practically no down time at all. And so could you and just
> about anyone else having issues if you'd have been willing to move to a
> low/medium population server, most likely.

all servers were low pop on day one, weren't they? so what do people do
now? start over?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 9:04:00 PM

i own a yacht wrote:
> chainbreaker <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:
>> Grackle wrote:
>>> I'm really tired of this game's technical issues. Anyone else find
>>> that there is more server down times or lag here than in other
>>> MMORPGs?
>>
>> No, I've had practically no down time at all. And so could you and
>> just about anyone else having issues if you'd have been willing to
>> move to a low/medium population server, most likely.
>
> all servers were low pop on day one, weren't they? so what do people
> do now? start over?

Well, that's what I did, just as soon as I realized the server I originally
started out on was becoming overpopulated, and that was easy enough to tell
before I'd had an account a full day, as I recall.

The problem stems from a combination of a user mindset of "I'm using this
server come hell or high water", and Blizzard probably originally trying to
get by with fewer servers than they really needed.

If Bliz had just forced the issue early on and moved some people as RJB
suggests, there probably wouldn't be many problems *or* issues right now.

Even though it's ultimately Blizzard's fault, I still can't help but feel
that some people have sort of been cutting off their noses to spite their
faces over the issue.

--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 9:05:27 PM

shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote:

> I suffered through at least two login server issues during the
> first month in the same week. This was after the first
> week. That's two nights of no play. Unacceptable.

wow, two. that's all it took eh?
January 31, 2005 9:17:11 PM

On 2005-01-31, i own a yacht <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> all servers were low pop on day one, weren't they? so what do people do
> now? start over?

That's exactly what Blizzard wishes you would do. That's why they
instituted login queues and keep hinting that players should move
to a low pop server. I genuinely believe they have enough servers
up to support everyone but they don't have enough power in each
server to support multiple big guilds at once.
January 31, 2005 9:19:52 PM

On 2005-01-31, i own a yacht <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote:
>>
>> I suffered through at least two login server issues during the
>> first month in the same week. This was after the first
>> week. That's two nights of no play. Unacceptable.
>
> wow, two. that's all it took eh?

Yes, two nights in the same month was unacceptable to me. This is
in addition to not being able to play right the first week.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 10:25:06 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:32:17 GMT, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com>
wrote:

>What are you smoking? They're so bad they've given free days out.

Yep, and its still a better launch than most MMORPGs. Call me when
they start giving out free months.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 11:13:55 PM

Rob Berryhill wrote:
> LOL, your post gets the award for dumbest post.
>
> WoW doesn't even have CLOSE to the problems and downtime of EVERY other
> MMORPG on the market. They have less problems, with twice the
> subscribers (would be more but they quit selling new copies) of any
> other one out there.

Rob, that's an asinine response. And a fanboyish one.

(and ditto to drocket, Courageous, and anyone else who says "..but
everyone else is even WORSE!")

Now, I play WoW, and I love WoW, and I'm not cancelling my account, but
the fact is that the problems and downtime are a disgrace. Now, maybe
everyone else is equally disgraceful or even more so. But this is a HUGE
negative point against paying $15/month for a game, and the only reason
I (and most other people) put up with it is that we find the postive
points balance it out.

All the other MMORPGs on the market could be absolutely 100%
trouble-free, or they could be 100x worse than they are, and you know
what? It would make absolutely ZERO difference to whether WoW was worth
my $15/month or not.

All that matters is: does the entertainment that Blizzard is capable of
providing me, minus the frustration that they seem incapable of NOT
causing me, justify the cost?

For me, it does.

For Grackle, it doesn't.

Simple as that.

Bye Grackle, hope you'll keep an eye on what's happening and maybe
return if you hear that things have gotten under control.

Cheers,
David..
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 11:14:59 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:13:55 +1100, David Carson
<david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote:

>Rob, that's an asinine response. And a fanboyish one.
>
>(and ditto to drocket, Courageous, and anyone else who says "..but
>everyone else is even WORSE!")

Let me assure you, I'm not a WoW fanboy. I don't like the game. Its
nothing but a shallow whack-a-mole game that doesn't even try to hide
that its a shallow whack-a-mole game. The original poster, though,
said that he believed WoW's downtime was excessive compared to other
MMORPGs, and that's simply untrue. WoW's downtime is, in fact, well
below the industry average.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 11:49:03 PM

"Allan C Cybulskie" <allan.c.cybulskie@yahoo.ca> writes:

> Hmmm. I started playing CoH soon after it launched, and I don't
> recall downtime anything near what WoW subscribers are experiencing.

CoH has daily scheduled downtime, hence it by definition has more
downtime than a game that doesn't have such a schedule. See, this
downtime comes in addition to crashes.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 11:49:04 PM

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen wrote:
> "Allan C Cybulskie" <allan.c.cybulskie@yahoo.ca> writes:
>
>> Hmmm. I started playing CoH soon after it launched, and I don't
>> recall downtime anything near what WoW subscribers are experiencing.
>
> CoH has daily scheduled downtime, hence it by definition has more
> downtime than a game that doesn't have such a schedule. See, this
> downtime comes in addition to crashes.

I only played for a month around the time of its release, and don't recall
but very little unplanned downtime. The planned outages were sort of
aggravating, especially since they were at one of the few times I could play
with some Aus friends, but at least you knew they were coming.
--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.
January 31, 2005 11:50:38 PM

On 2005-01-31, drocket <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:32:17 GMT, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com>
> wrote:
>
>>What are you smoking? They're so bad they've given free days out.
>
> Yep, and its still a better launch than most MMORPGs. Call me when
> they start giving out free months.

You are delusional. There's no other way to explain it. EVEN THEY
ADMIT THEY SCREWED UP.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 11:50:39 PM

In article <slrncvt6hf.30s7.shadows@helena.whitefang.com>,
shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote:

> > Yep, and its still a better launch than most MMORPGs.

> You are delusional. There's no other way to explain it. EVEN THEY
> ADMIT THEY SCREWED UP.

....Which is the 1st indication that it was a better launch than most.
The TYPICAL mmorpg launch has mondo screw ups *AND* the company has the
gall to tell us that everything's going according to plan!

Misc "I don't think WoW is perfect by a long shot. But it sure as hell*
is *GREAT* entertainment value for the dollar!"

---
* Hopefully, my account won't be suspended for this ;)

--
Please take off your shoes before arriving at my in-box.
I will not, no matter how "good" the deal, patronise any business which sends
unsolicited commercial e-mail or that advertises in discussion newsgroups.
January 31, 2005 11:52:02 PM

On 2005-01-31, Tor Iver Wilhelmsen <tor.iver.wilhelmsen@broadpark.no> wrote:
> "Allan C Cybulskie" <allan.c.cybulskie@yahoo.ca> writes:
>
>> Hmmm. I started playing CoH soon after it launched, and I don't
>> recall downtime anything near what WoW subscribers are experiencing.
>
> CoH has daily scheduled downtime, hence it by definition has more
> downtime than a game that doesn't have such a schedule. See, this
> downtime comes in addition to crashes.

Eve Online and SWG have daily downtime too. About an hour or
two. This is perfectly normal. It's called a "maintanence window"
and it doesn't mean they will always be down during those
hours. They schedule any changes to fall within those hours.

They just don't do it at 7 pm EST when everyone wants to get on.
January 31, 2005 11:52:56 PM

On 2005-01-31, drocket <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:13:55 +1100, David Carson
><david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote:
>
>>Rob, that's an asinine response. And a fanboyish one.
>>
>>(and ditto to drocket, Courageous, and anyone else who says "..but
>>everyone else is even WORSE!")
>
> Let me assure you, I'm not a WoW fanboy. I don't like the game. Its
> nothing but a shallow whack-a-mole game that doesn't even try to hide
> that its a shallow whack-a-mole game. The original poster, though,
> said that he believed WoW's downtime was excessive compared to other
> MMORPGs, and that's simply untrue. WoW's downtime is, in fact, well
> below the industry average.

You are smoking crack.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 1, 2005 12:50:09 AM

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 08:06:49 +1100, David Carson
<david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote:

>Haha! They pressed the CDs! They printed the manuals! They shipped the
>crates to the stores! Are you suggesting that their original plan was to
>get a few hundred thousand boxes returned unsold?

I know what you mean. I've heard the 'we didn't expect so many people
to play our game' for just about every single MMORPG launch in gaming
history as an excuse for downtime, and never, not once, has it made an
ounce of sense. If you make a product and ship it to stores, you're
OBVIOUSLY expecting people to buy it.

Helpful hint to future MMORPGs: If your server infastructure can
support 250,000 customers, don't ship 500,000 boxes.
!