FF XI - A Few Nagging Questions

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

1. I've just started playing Final Fantasy XI. I'm 1/4
of the way through Level 3 and I have earned NO gil
in battle. I've picked up a few worthless items
which I sold and which got me up to about 62 gil
after a couple of hours of gameplay (half of which
was spent actually learning my way around). One
item, some kind of tail, made a Big Mac appear on my
screen for a few minutes. Now what am I missing
here? Do stronger monsters further out in East/West
Stranglegoria (or whatever that area is outside
Windhurl) start dropping cold hard cash after
defeating them?

Note: While I was playing, I saw dozens of other player-characters running
back and forth. It was quite amusing to watch as I stood in town learning
how to control various aspects of the game. LOL! People just running from
the battlefields into town and back again. Oh, I also saw someone running
past, so I "checked him/her out". The other character stopped. I then
learned that other characters can tell when they're being checked out. I
suddenly felt like I was being sized up for a date, then felt some degree
of rejection when the other person just ran off into the wilderness.

2. I see people's names and I've read in the quickstart
card what different colors of text above peoples'
heads mean, but I haven't yet figured out what the
little icons mean to the left of the text. When I'm
not in first-person view, I can see that I've had a
question mark over my head the whole time. I've
seen some with treasure bags, some with tangerines,
some with something that looks like a coffee cup
filled with gold coins, etc... I can't find
information about the meaning of these icons in the
game manual. What determines what icon a person
will have over his/her head and how can I change
mine? I figure it has something to do with what I'm
actually doing or something, but I don't know.
Perhaps that's why I have a question mark over my
head. I really DON'T know, and it shows! Heh.

3. Does this game use classic Final Fantasy items such
as potions, hi-potions, remedy, eye drops, etc...?
So far I haven't located any, not that I could
afford anything useful with only 62 gil to my name.

Thanks,
Damaeus

On 2005-01-31 09:09:44 -0800, Damaeus <no-mail@hotmail.invalid.net> said:

> 1. I've just started playing Final Fantasy XI. I'm 1/4
> of the way through Level 3 and I have earned NO gil
> in battle. I've picked up a few worthless items
> which I sold and which got me up to about 62 gil
> after a couple of hours of gameplay (half of which
> was spent actually learning my way around). One
> item, some kind of tail, made a Big Mac appear on my
> screen for a few minutes. Now what am I missing
> here? Do stronger monsters further out in East/West
> Stranglegoria (or whatever that area is outside
> Windhurl) start dropping cold hard cash after
> defeating them?

Gold is insanely hard to earn in this game. The only monsters that drop
Gil are those who would logically carry such things (like orcs,
goblins, Yagudo and the like - more intelligent creatures). The Big-Mac
you see is an indication on your screen that you have a "food effect"
present on your character. Certain food items give you beefed up stats
for a time, like Meat Mithkabobs giving you improved strength.
Actually, learning how to make meals from basic food items is a way to
earn money later in the game.

> Note: While I was playing, I saw dozens of other player-characters running
> back and forth. It was quite amusing to watch as I stood in town learning
> how to control various aspects of the game. LOL! People just running from
> the battlefields into town and back again. Oh, I also saw someone running
> past, so I "checked him/her out". The other character stopped. I then
> learned that other characters can tell when they're being checked out. I
> suddenly felt like I was being sized up for a date, then felt some degree
> of rejection when the other person just ran off into the wilderness.

Yes, generally it's considered rude or invasive to randomly "check"
other players, unless they have a bazarr (putting things in their
inventory up for sale) or have the "invite" flag on.

> 2. I see people's names and I've read in the quickstart
> card what different colors of text above peoples'
> heads mean, but I haven't yet figured out what the
> little icons mean to the left of the text. When I'm
> not in first-person view, I can see that I've had a
> question mark over my head the whole time. I've
> seen some with treasure bags, some with tangerines,
> some with something that looks like a coffee cup
> filled with gold coins, etc... I can't find
> information about the meaning of these icons in the
> game manual. What determines what icon a person
> will have over his/her head and how can I change
> mine? I figure it has something to do with what I'm
> actually doing or something, but I don't know.
> Perhaps that's why I have a question mark over my
> head. I really DON'T know, and it shows! Heh.

The "question mark" is kind of a "newbie" flag, indicating that your
character is new. There is a way to remove it, or it will remove itself
after 30 days. The treasure bag indicates that that person has
something to sell. Check the person and then hit "view wares" to see
what they're selling. The multi-colored orbs are "linkshells", which
is a way to group people together and facilitate communication between
friends.

> 3. Does this game use classic Final Fantasy items such
> as potions, hi-potions, remedy, eye drops, etc...?
> So far I haven't located any, not that I could
> afford anything useful with only 62 gil to my name.

Yes, those items are available, but they are expensive.
Food/meals/magic are more widely used.

Just starting out, the best thing to do is spend some time in Windurst
and talk to the NPCs (green names) to learn more about the game. Some
also give you "quests" to perform for money. The manual is very lean
on details, I agree. I would also suggest picking up a game guide from
your local videogame retailer (or just read the introductory material
while you're in the shop to get the basics.) Do you know what server
you're on? I'm on Seraph, and you can ask me any questions any time I'm
on. My handle is Entilzha.

There are many websites around with information and guides about the game.
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/
is a good place to start.

One quick tip: the best way to earn money in the beginning is to find a
guard (it will have a name with two initials at the end of it) at the
main gate in Windurst leading to West/East Sarutaruba and have "signet"
cast on you. Then, go in the field and fight monsters. They will drop
crystals. Collect the crystals, making sure to arrange them in stacks
of 12, and sell the stacks at the auction house.

--
Email: extrarice at gmail dot com

"Damaeus" <no-mail@hotmail.invalid.net> wrote in message
> 1. I've just started playing Final Fantasy XI. I'm 1/4
> of the way through Level 3 and I have earned NO gil
> in battle. I've picked up a few worthless items
> which I sold and which got me up to about 62 gil
> after a couple of hours of gameplay (half of which
> was spent actually learning my way around). One
> item, some kind of tail, made a Big Mac appear on my
> screen for a few minutes. Now what am I missing
> here? Do stronger monsters further out in East/West
> Stranglegoria (or whatever that area is outside
> Windhurl) start dropping cold hard cash after
> defeating them?
>
> Note: While I was playing, I saw dozens of other player-characters running
> back and forth. It was quite amusing to watch as I stood in town learning
> how to control various aspects of the game. LOL! People just running
> from
> the battlefields into town and back again. Oh, I also saw someone running
> past, so I "checked him/her out". The other character stopped. I then
> learned that other characters can tell when they're being checked out. I
> suddenly felt like I was being sized up for a date, then felt some degree
> of rejection when the other person just ran off into the wilderness.
>
> 2. I see people's names and I've read in the quickstart
> card what different colors of text above peoples'
> heads mean, but I haven't yet figured out what the
> little icons mean to the left of the text. When I'm
> not in first-person view, I can see that I've had a
> question mark over my head the whole time. I've
> seen some with treasure bags, some with tangerines,
> some with something that looks like a coffee cup
> filled with gold coins, etc... I can't find
> information about the meaning of these icons in the
> game manual. What determines what icon a person
> will have over his/her head and how can I change
> mine? I figure it has something to do with what I'm
> actually doing or something, but I don't know.
> Perhaps that's why I have a question mark over my
> head. I really DON'T know, and it shows! Heh.
>
> 3. Does this game use classic Final Fantasy items such
> as potions, hi-potions, remedy, eye drops, etc...?
> So far I haven't located any, not that I could
> afford anything useful with only 62 gil to my name.

In FFXI, gil is not primarily earned by killing monsters. Few monsters drop
gil, and the amounts are small.
The biggest ways to generate gil are the Auction House, and the Bazaar.

There is an Auction house in each of the nations - more than one location in
each. If you are in SanD'oria, for example, there is an Auction House in
Southern SanD'oria and in Port SanD'oria. You may place up to seven items
for sale in the Auction House. Those little money bags you see next to
folks? those are indications that they have items for sale in their bazaar.

At lower levels, you will rarely, if ever, dispose of any item. All items
should be sold, whether by Auction House, Bazaar, or NPC -- to give you the
highest yield. As a newbie, crystals may well be your most reliable source
item - be sure to have signet cast from the guard at the gate anytime you go
hunting.

Another tip is to find a source for items that sell well in the Bazaar or
the AH. There are many. You would not believe how many folks just use the AH
to buy things - even if they are for sale by npc's nearby.

Crafting will also yield saleable items - tho the profit margins have
changed drastically recently. Much of that is because yields from fishing,
logging, and mining have been reduced. Still, while I haven't found any way
to conceivably make the incredible amounts of gil for some of the higher
level equipment (HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS) I can honestly say that I have been
able to buy my scrolls and instruments (the notable exception being Mary's
Horn) and the foodstuffs for good/excellent play.

Post your server and your job - and what nation you started out in. Perhaps
someone can give you some more specific advice. And checkout some of these
websites
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/
http://mysterytour.web.infoseek.co.jp/ffxi/us/
http://www.killingifrit.com/

(there are others very well organized as well, but I refuse to post links to
sites which advertise gil selling)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg extrarice <extrarice@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, generally it's considered rude or invasive to randomly "check"
> other players, unless they have a bazarr (putting things in their
> inventory up for sale) or have the "invite" flag on.

yeah, it is. but people who find it rude are dicks. seriously. you can
filter it off and never see anyone examine you. but lots of people leave
it on just so they can whine about it.

i own a yacht wrote:

>>Yes, generally it's considered rude or invasive to randomly "check"
>>other players, unless they have a bazarr (putting things in their
>>inventory up for sale) or have the "invite" flag on.
>

> yeah, it is. but people who find it rude are dicks. seriously. you can
> filter it off and never see anyone examine you. but lots of people leave
> it on just so they can whine about it.

People leave it on as a test to find out who the
*real* dicks are.
Being a dick yourself, you wouldn't have any idea why.

On 1 Feb 2005 09:24:35 GMT, i own a yacht wrote:

> Briarroot <woodsyl@iwonantispam.com> wrote:

>>> yeah, it is. but people who find it rude are dicks. seriously. you can
>>> filter it off and never see anyone examine you. but lots of people leave
>>> it on just so they can whine about it.
>>
>> People leave it on as a test to find out who the
>> *real* dicks are.
>> Being a dick yourself, you wouldn't have any idea why.
>
> keep telling yourself that, whiney.

Wow, I just got a serious deja vu... I remember this exact conversation
about EQ about 4 years ago.
--
RJB
2/1/2005 8:52:41 AM

"If a trainstation is where the train stops, what's a workstation...?"
-Anon.

On 2005-01-31 19:00:45 -0800, i own a yacht <me@privacy.net> said:

> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg extrarice <extrarice@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, generally it's considered rude or invasive to randomly "check"
>> other players, unless they have a bazarr (putting things in their
>> inventory up for sale) or have the "invite" flag on.
>
> yeah, it is. but people who find it rude are dicks. seriously. you can
> filter it off and never see anyone examine you. but lots of people leave
> it on just so they can whine about it.

You're entitled to your own opinion (as everyone else is), but I was
thinking more of the culture shock that happened when FFXI was opened
up to North America. The sudden influx of rude, obnoxious North
American players was quite a shock to the Japanese players already
there. And it seems like it just gets worse every day, though when
World of Warcraft came out, a lot of them moved to that MMORPG.

Bottom line, never assume that the person you're interacting with has
the same world view as you or has the same culture/mannerisms as you.
Treat all players with respect, and the FFXI community as a whole gets
better.

--
Email: extrarice at gmail dot com

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

In news:alt.games.final-fantasy, extrarice <extrarice@gmail.com> posted on
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:16:53 -0800:

> Gold is insanely hard to earn in this game. The only monsters that drop
> Gil are those who would logically carry such things (like orcs,
> goblins, Yagudo and the like - more intelligent creatures). The Big-Mac
> you see is an indication on your screen that you have a "food effect"
> present on your character. Certain food items give you beefed up stats
> for a time, like Meat Mithkabobs giving you improved strength.
> Actually, learning how to make meals from basic food items is a way to
> earn money later in the game.

I'll definitely be learning to do that. I was actually killed on the
battlefield after setting my new homepoint in extremely hostile territory.
He showed me a few things about interacting with others (my first
interaction, by the way) then gave me a thousand gil and a roll of silk.
We ended up talking for about an hour while he waited on someone. Learned
about trading and messages and other things. Really nice guy. :) I guess
he saw me get killed off in battle because he ran over and asked what level
I was. One thing lead to another and then I had my first person on my
Friend list. :)

> > 3. Does this game use classic Final Fantasy items such
> > as potions, hi-potions, remedy, eye drops, etc...?
> > So far I haven't located any, not that I could
> > afford anything useful with only 62 gil to my name.
>
> Yes, those items are available, but they are expensive.

Yeah, I found that out. HORRIBLY expensive!!

> One quick tip: the best way to earn money in the beginning is to find a
> guard (it will have a name with two initials at the end of it) at the
> main gate in Windurst leading to West/East Sarutaruba and have "signet"
> cast on you. Then, go in the field and fight monsters. They will drop
> crystals. Collect the crystals, making sure to arrange them in stacks
> of 12, and sell the stacks at the auction house.

You mean collect some crystals, then auto-sort until I see I have at least
12 of one kind of crystal?

On 2005-02-01 07:12:09 -0800, Damaeus <no-mail@hotmail.invalid.net> said:

> I'll definitely be learning to do that. I was actually killed on the
> battlefield after setting my new homepoint in extremely hostile territory.
> He showed me a few things about interacting with others (my first
> interaction, by the way) then gave me a thousand gil and a roll of silk.
> We ended up talking for about an hour while he waited on someone. Learned
> about trading and messages and other things. Really nice guy. :) I guess
> he saw me get killed off in battle because he ran over and asked what level
> I was. One thing lead to another and then I had my first person on my
> Friend list. :)

Yeah, there are a lot of friendly, helpful people on the servers, ready
to help people out.

> You mean collect some crystals, then auto-sort until I see I have at least
> 12 of one kind of crystal?

Exactly. Check to see what the going rate is for a stack of crystals at
the auction house, and sell them there.

--
Email: extrarice at gmail dot com

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

In news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, "L"
<lisaanne_quilts@hothatesspammail.com> posted on Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:25:25
-0500:

> Post your server and your job - and what nation you started out in. Perhaps
> someone can give you some more specific advice.

I'm not sure of the server. I'll see if I can ascertain that the next time
I log in. I started out in Windurst as an Elvaan Warrior. I'm currently
on the low side of Level 4. I was over halfway to Level 5, but wandered
way out to an outpost in West SanD'oria and set my new home point there so
I wouldn't have to come from all the way in the middle of Windurst to hunt
some more. That was a mistake. I was easily killed like three or four
times in a row, each time setting me back further and further. I've
decided to do some more leveling up with the easier creatures even though
they net fewer experiences points per battle as my levels increase.
Nothing like getting it from both ends, is there? You need more points,
but you're getting fewer. Fortunately it seems like the point deficit
differences from one level to the next aren't as great as in the offline
versions, so it probably works out about the same.

> And checkout some of these
> websites
> http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/
> http://mysterytour.web.infoseek.co.jp/ffxi/us/
> http://www.killingifrit.com/

Thanks for the links!

> (there are others very well organized as well, but I refuse to post links to
> sites which advertise gil selling)

Thanks. I've read about that and I think it's fairly dispicable. I've
also been reading about employees of some company camping out where a
particular monster is known to drop rare items. Nobody ever gets a chance
to get the item because these scavengers are out there hogging them all and
then selling the items on eBay for real money! What people won't do for a
buck!

Damaeus

On 2005-02-01 08:08:29 -0800, Damaeus <no-mail@hotmail.invalid.net> said:

> I'm not sure of the server. I'll see if I can ascertain that the next time
> I log in. I started out in Windurst as an Elvaan Warrior. I'm currently
> on the low side of Level 4. I was over halfway to Level 5, but wandered
> way out to an outpost in West SanD'oria and set my new home point there so
> I wouldn't have to come from all the way in the middle of Windurst to hunt
> some more. That was a mistake. I was easily killed like three or four
> times in a row, each time setting me back further and further. I've
> decided to do some more leveling up with the easier creatures even though
> they net fewer experiences points per battle as my levels increase.
> Nothing like getting it from both ends, is there? You need more points,
> but you're getting fewer. Fortunately it seems like the point deficit
> differences from one level to the next aren't as great as in the offline
> versions, so it probably works out about the same.

The XP gaining system (heck, just about everything in the game) is
designed to encourage the player to form relationships, gain friends,
and otherwise join parties to battle and search for items. You really
do rely quiet a bit on other people to advance through the game.

--
Email: extrarice at gmail dot com

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

In news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, i own a yacht <me@privacy.net> posted on
1 Feb 2005 03:00:45 GMT:

> yeah, it is. but people who find it rude are dicks. seriously. you can
> filter it off and never see anyone examine you. but lots of people leave
> it on just so they can whine about it.

A guy I talked to within the game says he checks people all the time. He
didn't mention whether anybody had ever slapped him for it or not. I think
I saw in the settings somewhere where you can make yourself anonymous and
hide everything about yourself. Seems like people would do that.

Damaeus

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:17:07 -0800, extrarice <none@yourbusiness.com>
wrote:

>On 2005-01-31 19:00:45 -0800, i own a yacht <me@privacy.net> said:
>
>> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg extrarice <extrarice@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, generally it's considered rude or invasive to randomly "check"
>>> other players, unless they have a bazarr (putting things in their
>>> inventory up for sale) or have the "invite" flag on.
>>
>> yeah, it is. but people who find it rude are dicks. seriously. you can
>> filter it off and never see anyone examine you. but lots of people leave
>> it on just so they can whine about it.
>
>You're entitled to your own opinion (as everyone else is), but I was
>thinking more of the culture shock that happened when FFXI was opened
>up to North America. The sudden influx of rude, obnoxious North
>American players was quite a shock to the Japanese players already
>there. And it seems like it just gets worse every day, though when
>World of Warcraft came out, a lot of them moved to that MMORPG.

Those uncivilized gaijin :mad:!!!

Rob
ploovTeHSPaeMBLoKuR@charter.net

--

Owner of 2501 Netstalker Points awarded by Corwin of Amber, mainly
because Atma's just too damn attractive to get away from.

Gave 7499 Netstalker Points to Cypher because there's no such thing as
a good day on AGFF without JT bashing!

Owner of David Watson, rec.arts.anime.misc

"Couples action-packed gameplay and a methodical storyline into one
brilliant game that appeals to gamer's not wealthy enough to purchase
a PC and those not smart enough to operate and configure one."
--TruthMedia on Halo 2

On 31-Jan-05 14:16, extrarice wrote:

> My handle is Entilzha.

And that would make you a Bab5/JMS fan, I'm assuming.
--
Zarggg
KeyID: 0x2FAAE151

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

In news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, i own a yacht <me@privacy.net> posted on
2 Feb 2005 01:35:37 GMT:

> i'm not talking about the japanese players. i preferred grouping with
> them and tried to be as courteous as possible. but there's absolutely no
> reason whatsoever for whitey to leave the inspect messages on if they
> don't want to see them. they simply want to bitch about someone having
> the nerve to inspect them. you see that passive-aggressive attitude all
> the time in online games.

Well, I can see your point. But the Check feature is there for players to
use. Why would it be rude to use it? What are we supposed to do? Walk
around with blindfolds on and ask for permission to look at someone?
Sometimes I check people after they've killed a monster I've never fought
before so I can find out what level I could attack the same monster and
have a chance of being successful.

And, of course, to go and check someone, the worst thing that could happen
is that you can't be friends with him. It's not like he can kill you or
anything. Then again, when engaged in battle, perhaps there is if it's
anything like offline Final Fantasy when you can have your warrior attack
your white mage just for the fun of it. I used to do that all the time to
get one party member waaaay on up there in experience. Kill everybody off
except one character and he levels up like crazy.

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

In news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, Damaeus <no-mail@hotmail.invalid.net>
posted on Tue, 01 Feb 2005 16:08:29 GMT:

> In news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, "L"
> <lisaanne_quilts@hothatesspammail.com> posted on Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:25:25
> -0500:
>
> > Post your server and your job - and what nation you started out in. Perhaps
> > someone can give you some more specific advice.
>
> I'm not sure of the server. I'll see if I can ascertain that the next time
> I log in.

I must be on the Odin server because right after the game loaded and I
appeared where I left off, the log window said "Welcome to Odin!"

> I started out in Windurst as an Elvaan Warrior. I'm currently
> on the low side of Level 4. I was over halfway to Level 5, but wandered
> way out to an outpost in West SanD'oria and set my new home point there so
> I wouldn't have to come from all the way in the middle of Windurst to hunt
> some more.

No, that wasn't SanD'oria. It was that area west of Windurst. If the
names weren't so goofy I might be able to remember them more easily. If
you go through the Shiva Gate and hang a right, there's a path that
eventually leads to an outpost. There seems to be no way to go inside the
outpost, but there's a guy there selling eyedrops, potions and a couple of
other things, and another guy there to set your new home point. I will try
going back down there when I can kill those crows and the crawlers without
a problem. I'm up to Level 5 now after finding some river crabs and
others. There were lots of different kinds of crabs running around out
there. I found one land crab and I was killed in front of about a dozen
people who were fishing -- THREE TIMES! And one of those times was when I
saw a guy was trying to do some fishing and I saw this blue crab nipping at
his heels. Just as I engaged the crab, the other guy drew his sword and
turned around, but it was too late. I was already locked in. So the other
guy stands there and watches. WHen my HP is about half its maximum value,
I suddenly realize I've accidentally engaged that stupid land crab again.
I disengage, but he chases me halfway across the prairie nipping at my
heals until I eventually get killed off again. I think the Disengage
feature is a joke. So far I haven't found one creature who leaves you
alone when you disengage; you just stop fighting and they chase you down
and take pot shots until you die.
--
Windblade of Windurst on the Odin server
Level 5 Elvaan Warrior

Patrik

Briarroot <woodsyl@iwonantispam.com> writes:

> i own a yacht wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, generally it's considered rude or invasive to randomly "check"
> >> other players, unless they have a bazarr (putting things in their
> >> inventory up for sale) or have the "invite" flag on.
> > yeah, it is. but people who find it rude are dicks. seriously. you
> > can
> > filter it off and never see anyone examine you. but lots of people leave
> > it on just so they can whine about it.
>
> People leave it on as a test to find out who the *real* dicks are.
> Being a dick yourself, you wouldn't have any idea why.

Oh, yes, because the epitome of dickitude is to look at the people
around you, that's for sure. I don't see how anyone could possibly
expect to have a right to look at someone else to see what they're
wearing, just like in real life where I go around punching people who
don't avert their eyes when passing me in the street.

That said I don't actually tend to inspect people in games like this
because for some inexplicable reason some people get upset over it.
Which is why the game shouldn't report that you're being inspected,
that solves the problem neatly.

On 2005-02-01 21:59:39 -0800, Damaeus <no-mail@hotmail.invalid.net> said:

> Well, I can see your point. But the Check feature is there for players to
> use. Why would it be rude to use it? What are we supposed to do? Walk
> around with blindfolds on and ask for permission to look at someone?
> Sometimes I check people after they've killed a monster I've never fought
> before so I can find out what level I could attack the same monster and
> have a chance of being successful.

I suppose I'm just talking about the wholesale checking of masses of
people while you run through town, or pass eachother on the way. Also,
this is not really much of an issue anymore, as there are lots of NA
players on the servers.

> And, of course, to go and check someone, the worst thing that could happen
> is that you can't be friends with him. It's not like he can kill you or
> anything. Then again, when engaged in battle, perhaps there is if it's
> anything like offline Final Fantasy when you can have your warrior attack
> your white mage just for the fun of it. I used to do that all the time to
> get one party member waaaay on up there in experience. Kill everybody off
> except one character and he levels up like crazy.

As far as I know, there is no player-vs-player combat in FFXI. You can
try to goad a monster into attacking someone else, but that's difficult
to do.

On 2005-02-01 20:24:27 -0800, Zarggg <zarggg@zarggg.net> said:

> On 31-Jan-05 14:16, extrarice wrote:
>
>> My handle is Entilzha.
>
> And that would make you a Bab5/JMS fan, I'm assuming.

Correct. Just finishing up the 4th season discs.

On 2005-02-01 22:01:52 -0800, Damaeus ala Windllade
<no-mail@hotmail.invalid.net> said:

> I must be on the Odin server because right after the game loaded and I
> appeared where I left off, the log window said "Welcome to Odin!"

Yep, you're on Odin.

> No, that wasn't SanD'oria. It was that area west of Windurst. If the
> names weren't so goofy I might be able to remember them more easily. If
> you go through the Shiva Gate and hang a right, there's a path that
> eventually leads to an outpost. There seems to be no way to go inside the
> outpost, but there's a guy there selling eyedrops, potions and a couple of
> other things, and another guy there to set your new home point. I will try
> going back down there when I can kill those crows and the crawlers without
> a problem. I'm up to Level 5 now after finding some river crabs and
> others. There were lots of different kinds of crabs running around out
> there. I found one land crab and I was killed in front of about a dozen
> people who were fishing -- THREE TIMES! And one of those times was when I
> saw a guy was trying to do some fishing and I saw this blue crab nipping at
> his heels. Just as I engaged the crab, the other guy drew his sword and
> turned around, but it was too late. I was already locked in. So the other
> guy stands there and watches. WHen my HP is about half its maximum value,
> I suddenly realize I've accidentally engaged that stupid land crab again.
> I disengage, but he chases me halfway across the prairie nipping at my
> heals until I eventually get killed off again. I think the Disengage
> feature is a joke. So far I haven't found one creature who leaves you
> alone when you disengage; you just stop fighting and they chase you down
> and take pot shots until you die.

When you engage a creature, no other players can fight, unless they are
in your party OR you trigger the "call for help" action (hilight
"disengage" and push right to change it to "call for help"). When you
disengage, the monster does not leave you alone - you just stop
fighting so you can run faster. Monsters have a concept of "hate", and
they will attack whatever target they "hate" most. For example, if you
are fighting a monster, and someone not in your party casts Cure on
you, the monster will typically focus their "hate" on the caster.
Now, as for the fishers: there exists several pieces of software that
automates fishing. It's called "bot fishing", and is against
Square-Enix's player user agreement. Basically, you can leave your
compuer unattended, say while you're in class or at work, while your
character fishes, gaining fishing experience and collecting fish to
sell. The safe bet is to assume that anyone fishing with a blue name is
a bot (but this is not always the case).

--
Email: extrarice at gmail dot com

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:09:44 GMT, Damaeus
<no-mail@hotmail.invalid.net> wrote:

> 1. I've just started playing Final Fantasy XI. I'm 1/4
> of the way through Level 3 and I have earned NO gil
> in battle. I've picked up a few worthless items
> which I sold and which got me up to about 62 gil
> after a couple of hours of gameplay (half of which
> was spent actually learning my way around). One
> item, some kind of tail, made a Big Mac appear on my
> screen for a few minutes. Now what am I missing
> here? Do stronger monsters further out in East/West
> Stranglegoria (or whatever that area is outside
> Windhurl) start dropping cold hard cash after
> defeating them?

When you leave your hometown there is usually a guard standing next to
the gate whom you can ask to cast Signet onto you. Under this spell
all your experience kills gains you also crystals and conquest points.
It wears off after 1-3 hours (depending on your rank).

Crystals are a valuable resource and are used up constantly (actually
they are the catalyst for most craftskills). You can sell them for
profit on the auction house. Just check the going price in the sales
history and slightly undercut it (not too much lest you make no
profit). Also other stuff that drops, like beehive chips, silk thread,
etc. are stuff that goes for some gil over the AH. Only beastmen
(goblins, yagudo, quadav, orcs) drop gil directly.

That "hamburger" icon indicates you are under the effect of food.
Food in this game boosts your stats (like STR, DEX, Attack, MP, etc.).
And their effects depend on the food you consumed. THey last between
3, 5, 30, and 180 minutes.

>Note: While I was playing, I saw dozens of other player-characters running
>back and forth. It was quite amusing to watch as I stood in town learning
>how to control various aspects of the game. LOL! People just running from
>the battlefields into town and back again. Oh, I also saw someone running
>past, so I "checked him/her out". The other character stopped. I then
>learned that other characters can tell when they're being checked out. I
>suddenly felt like I was being sized up for a date, then felt some degree
>of rejection when the other person just ran off into the wilderness.

When you /check someone that other player sees a message:
"Such-and-such examined you." However she/he can choose to switch off
these notifications with their chat filter

> 2. I see people's names and I've read in the quickstart
> card what different colors of text above peoples'
> heads mean, but I haven't yet figured out what the
> little icons mean to the left of the text. When I'm
> not in first-person view, I can see that I've had a
> question mark over my head the whole time. I've
> seen some with treasure bags, some with tangerines,
> some with something that looks like a coffee cup
> filled with gold coins, etc... I can't find
> information about the meaning of these icons in the
> game manual. What determines what icon a person
> will have over his/her head and how can I change
> mine? I figure it has something to do with what I'm
> actually doing or something, but I don't know.
> Perhaps that's why I have a question mark over my
> head. I really DON'T know, and it shows! Heh.

Question mark shows a character that hasn't been played over 5 days or
so. Bags indicate a Bazaar. You can examine this person and look into
their offerings for trade. Another common thing are linkpearls. They
show that this person is a member of a guild (linkshell). White names
mean you can see all information (level, jobs, rank, nation) whereas
dark blue names shows an anonymous person. One can switch that on and
off with /anon.

> 3. Does this game use classic Final Fantasy items such
> as potions, hi-potions, remedy, eye drops, etc...?
> So far I haven't located any, not that I could
> afford anything useful with only 62 gil to my name.

Yes. But they are very expensive. And the cool-down for using
potions is long. The most useful items in this regard are silent oils
(you can sneak past sound-aggro mobs), prism powders (makes you
invisible), echo drops (removes silence). They are still expensive
though, since they are crafted and prices off NPC merchants are
ridiculous high for newly started chars...

-Arnulf

In news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, patrik@nordebo.com posted on 02 Feb 2005
09:00:30 +0100:

> Oh, yes, because the epitome of dickitude is to look at the people
> around you, that's for sure. I don't see how anyone could possibly
> expect to have a right to look at someone else to see what they're
> wearing, just like in real life where I go around punching people who
> don't avert their eyes when passing me in the street.
>
> That said I don't actually tend to inspect people in games like this
> because for some inexplicable reason some people get upset over it.
> Which is why the game shouldn't report that you're being inspected,
> that solves the problem neatly.

One of the reasons I like to inspect people is to find out what level
they're on as I see them, for example, killing a Yucolite Acolyte (or
whatever those things are) in one swing of the sword. I saw some guy
messing with a Crawler and he was knocking out 36HP with each attack. I
was curious so I checked him to see what level he was: 22 Thief.

I don't just run around checking people for no reason, and if someone tells
me they think it's rude, all I can do is explain why I was doing it.

Maybe it's something like the whole usenet debate of top-posting,
signatures more than four lines long, overquoting, or whatever. I get the
sense that a lot of times, the people complaining are just wanting to
parrot the "rules" they were first exposed to... a kind way for them to
show that they're not clueless newbies, when it actuality they're making
themselves out to be self-proclaimed 'net nannies.
--
Windblade of Windurst on the Odin server
Level 6 Elvaan Warrior

rogerm

extrarice wrote:

> On 2005-02-01 20:24:27 -0800, Zarggg <zarggg@zarggg.net> said:
>
> > On 31-Jan-05 14:16, extrarice wrote:
> >
> >> My handle is Entilzha.
> >
> > And that would make you a Bab5/JMS fan, I'm assuming.
>
> Correct. Just finishing up the 4th season discs.

A very good show. I don't get the reference, though.

--

Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the future.

"Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz

On 2005-02-02 09:39:21 -0800, RogerM <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> said:

> extrarice wrote:

>>> And that would make you a Bab5/JMS fan, I'm assuming.
>>
>> Correct. Just finishing up the 4th season discs.
>>

> A very good show. I don't get the reference, though.

What the Minbari call Ranger One. Means "One who sets into motion that
which changes the future"

--

patrik@nordebo.com wrote:

> Briarroot <woodsyl@iwonantispam.com> writes:
>>
>>People leave it on as a test to find out who the *real* dicks are.
>>Being a dick yourself, you wouldn't have any idea why.
>
> Oh, yes, because the epitome of dickitude is to look at the people
> around you, that's for sure. I don't see how anyone could possibly
> expect to have a right to look at someone else to see what they're
> wearing, just like in real life where I go around punching people who
> don't avert their eyes when passing me in the street.

Both in the game worlds and in real-life, you can see what people are
wearing or wielding
without inspection, it's the details that are lacking. The real-life
equivalent to online inspections
would be grabbing someone and turning their clothing inside out so you
could inspect the labels.
If you tried that on the street, you'd deserve to get punched!
Online, many players feel that their
privacy is similarly invaded by unwelcome inspections. It's really
that simple.

> That said I don't actually tend to inspect people in games like this
> because for some inexplicable reason some people get upset over it.

In other words, you recognize that many people consider this impolite
behavior, you respect
their feelings and you act accordingly. Good, so do I.

> Which is why the game shouldn't report that you're being inspected,
> that solves the problem neatly.

Or eliminate the ability to inspect altogether. Then if one player
wanted to know what another
was wearing, they would have to start an actual *conversation* with
them. Imagine the novelty
in that! <sarcasm intended>