FF XI - A Few Nagging Questions

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

1. I've just started playing Final Fantasy XI. I'm 1/4
of the way through Level 3 and I have earned NO gil
in battle. I've picked up a few worthless items
which I sold and which got me up to about 62 gil
after a couple of hours of gameplay (half of which
was spent actually learning my way around). One
item, some kind of tail, made a Big Mac appear on my
screen for a few minutes. Now what am I missing
here? Do stronger monsters further out in East/West
Stranglegoria (or whatever that area is outside
Windhurl) start dropping cold hard cash after
defeating them?

Note: While I was playing, I saw dozens of other player-characters running
back and forth. It was quite amusing to watch as I stood in town learning
how to control various aspects of the game. LOL! People just running from
the battlefields into town and back again. Oh, I also saw someone running
past, so I "checked him/her out". The other character stopped. I then
learned that other characters can tell when they're being checked out. I
suddenly felt like I was being sized up for a date, then felt some degree
of rejection when the other person just ran off into the wilderness.

2. I see people's names and I've read in the quickstart
card what different colors of text above peoples'
heads mean, but I haven't yet figured out what the
little icons mean to the left of the text. When I'm
not in first-person view, I can see that I've had a
question mark over my head the whole time. I've
seen some with treasure bags, some with tangerines,
some with something that looks like a coffee cup
filled with gold coins, etc... I can't find
information about the meaning of these icons in the
game manual. What determines what icon a person
will have over his/her head and how can I change
mine? I figure it has something to do with what I'm
actually doing or something, but I don't know.
Perhaps that's why I have a question mark over my
head. I really DON'T know, and it shows! Heh.

3. Does this game use classic Final Fantasy items such
as potions, hi-potions, remedy, eye drops, etc...?
So far I haven't located any, not that I could
afford anything useful with only 62 gil to my name.

Thanks,
Damaeus
44 answers Last reply
More about nagging questions
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-01-31 09:09:44 -0800, Damaeus <no-mail@hotmail.invalid.net> said:

    > 1. I've just started playing Final Fantasy XI. I'm 1/4
    > of the way through Level 3 and I have earned NO gil
    > in battle. I've picked up a few worthless items
    > which I sold and which got me up to about 62 gil
    > after a couple of hours of gameplay (half of which
    > was spent actually learning my way around). One
    > item, some kind of tail, made a Big Mac appear on my
    > screen for a few minutes. Now what am I missing
    > here? Do stronger monsters further out in East/West
    > Stranglegoria (or whatever that area is outside
    > Windhurl) start dropping cold hard cash after
    > defeating them?

    Gold is insanely hard to earn in this game. The only monsters that drop
    Gil are those who would logically carry such things (like orcs,
    goblins, Yagudo and the like - more intelligent creatures). The Big-Mac
    you see is an indication on your screen that you have a "food effect"
    present on your character. Certain food items give you beefed up stats
    for a time, like Meat Mithkabobs giving you improved strength.
    Actually, learning how to make meals from basic food items is a way to
    earn money later in the game.

    > Note: While I was playing, I saw dozens of other player-characters running
    > back and forth. It was quite amusing to watch as I stood in town learning
    > how to control various aspects of the game. LOL! People just running from
    > the battlefields into town and back again. Oh, I also saw someone running
    > past, so I "checked him/her out". The other character stopped. I then
    > learned that other characters can tell when they're being checked out. I
    > suddenly felt like I was being sized up for a date, then felt some degree
    > of rejection when the other person just ran off into the wilderness.

    Yes, generally it's considered rude or invasive to randomly "check"
    other players, unless they have a bazarr (putting things in their
    inventory up for sale) or have the "invite" flag on.

    > 2. I see people's names and I've read in the quickstart
    > card what different colors of text above peoples'
    > heads mean, but I haven't yet figured out what the
    > little icons mean to the left of the text. When I'm
    > not in first-person view, I can see that I've had a
    > question mark over my head the whole time. I've
    > seen some with treasure bags, some with tangerines,
    > some with something that looks like a coffee cup
    > filled with gold coins, etc... I can't find
    > information about the meaning of these icons in the
    > game manual. What determines what icon a person
    > will have over his/her head and how can I change
    > mine? I figure it has something to do with what I'm
    > actually doing or something, but I don't know.
    > Perhaps that's why I have a question mark over my
    > head. I really DON'T know, and it shows! Heh.

    The "question mark" is kind of a "newbie" flag, indicating that your
    character is new. There is a way to remove it, or it will remove itself
    after 30 days. The treasure bag indicates that that person has
    something to sell. Check the person and then hit "view wares" to see
    what they're selling. The multi-colored orbs are "linkshells", which
    is a way to group people together and facilitate communication between
    friends.

    > 3. Does this game use classic Final Fantasy items such
    > as potions, hi-potions, remedy, eye drops, etc...?
    > So far I haven't located any, not that I could
    > afford anything useful with only 62 gil to my name.

    Yes, those items are available, but they are expensive.
    Food/meals/magic are more widely used.

    Just starting out, the best thing to do is spend some time in Windurst
    and talk to the NPCs (green names) to learn more about the game. Some
    also give you "quests" to perform for money. The manual is very lean
    on details, I agree. I would also suggest picking up a game guide from
    your local videogame retailer (or just read the introductory material
    while you're in the shop to get the basics.) Do you know what server
    you're on? I'm on Seraph, and you can ask me any questions any time I'm
    on. My handle is Entilzha.

    There are many websites around with information and guides about the game.
    http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/
    is a good place to start.

    One quick tip: the best way to earn money in the beginning is to find a
    guard (it will have a name with two initials at the end of it) at the
    main gate in Windurst leading to West/East Sarutaruba and have "signet"
    cast on you. Then, go in the field and fight monsters. They will drop
    crystals. Collect the crystals, making sure to arrange them in stacks
    of 12, and sell the stacks at the auction house.

    --
    Email: extrarice at gmail dot com
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Damaeus" <no-mail@hotmail.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > 1. I've just started playing Final Fantasy XI. I'm 1/4
    > of the way through Level 3 and I have earned NO gil
    > in battle. I've picked up a few worthless items
    > which I sold and which got me up to about 62 gil
    > after a couple of hours of gameplay (half of which
    > was spent actually learning my way around). One
    > item, some kind of tail, made a Big Mac appear on my
    > screen for a few minutes. Now what am I missing
    > here? Do stronger monsters further out in East/West
    > Stranglegoria (or whatever that area is outside
    > Windhurl) start dropping cold hard cash after
    > defeating them?
    >
    > Note: While I was playing, I saw dozens of other player-characters running
    > back and forth. It was quite amusing to watch as I stood in town learning
    > how to control various aspects of the game. LOL! People just running
    > from
    > the battlefields into town and back again. Oh, I also saw someone running
    > past, so I "checked him/her out". The other character stopped. I then
    > learned that other characters can tell when they're being checked out. I
    > suddenly felt like I was being sized up for a date, then felt some degree
    > of rejection when the other person just ran off into the wilderness.
    >
    > 2. I see people's names and I've read in the quickstart
    > card what different colors of text above peoples'
    > heads mean, but I haven't yet figured out what the
    > little icons mean to the left of the text. When I'm
    > not in first-person view, I can see that I've had a
    > question mark over my head the whole time. I've
    > seen some with treasure bags, some with tangerines,
    > some with something that looks like a coffee cup
    > filled with gold coins, etc... I can't find
    > information about the meaning of these icons in the
    > game manual. What determines what icon a person
    > will have over his/her head and how can I change
    > mine? I figure it has something to do with what I'm
    > actually doing or something, but I don't know.
    > Perhaps that's why I have a question mark over my
    > head. I really DON'T know, and it shows! Heh.
    >
    > 3. Does this game use classic Final Fantasy items such
    > as potions, hi-potions, remedy, eye drops, etc...?
    > So far I haven't located any, not that I could
    > afford anything useful with only 62 gil to my name.

    In FFXI, gil is not primarily earned by killing monsters. Few monsters drop
    gil, and the amounts are small.
    The biggest ways to generate gil are the Auction House, and the Bazaar.

    There is an Auction house in each of the nations - more than one location in
    each. If you are in SanD'oria, for example, there is an Auction House in
    Southern SanD'oria and in Port SanD'oria. You may place up to seven items
    for sale in the Auction House. Those little money bags you see next to
    folks? those are indications that they have items for sale in their bazaar.

    At lower levels, you will rarely, if ever, dispose of any item. All items
    should be sold, whether by Auction House, Bazaar, or NPC -- to give you the
    highest yield. As a newbie, crystals may well be your most reliable source
    item - be sure to have signet cast from the guard at the gate anytime you go
    hunting.

    Another tip is to find a source for items that sell well in the Bazaar or
    the AH. There are many. You would not believe how many folks just use the AH
    to buy things - even if they are for sale by npc's nearby.

    Crafting will also yield saleable items - tho the profit margins have
    changed drastically recently. Much of that is because yields from fishing,
    logging, and mining have been reduced. Still, while I haven't found any way
    to conceivably make the incredible amounts of gil for some of the higher
    level equipment (HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS) I can honestly say that I have been
    able to buy my scrolls and instruments (the notable exception being Mary's
    Horn) and the foodstuffs for good/excellent play.

    Post your server and your job - and what nation you started out in. Perhaps
    someone can give you some more specific advice. And checkout some of these
    websites
    http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/
    http://mysterytour.web.infoseek.co.jp/ffxi/us/
    http://www.killingifrit.com/

    (there are others very well organized as well, but I refuse to post links to
    sites which advertise gil selling)
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg extrarice <extrarice@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Yes, generally it's considered rude or invasive to randomly "check"
    > other players, unless they have a bazarr (putting things in their
    > inventory up for sale) or have the "invite" flag on.

    yeah, it is. but people who find it rude are dicks. seriously. you can
    filter it off and never see anyone examine you. but lots of people leave
    it on just so they can whine about it.

    i own a yacht wrote:

    >>Yes, generally it's considered rude or invasive to randomly "check"
    >>other players, unless they have a bazarr (putting things in their
    >>inventory up for sale) or have the "invite" flag on.
    >

    > yeah, it is. but people who find it rude are dicks. seriously. you can
    > filter it off and never see anyone examine you. but lots of people leave
    > it on just so they can whine about it.

    People leave it on as a test to find out who the
    *real* dicks are.
    Being a dick yourself, you wouldn't have any idea why.

    On 1 Feb 2005 09:24:35 GMT, i own a yacht wrote:

    > Briarroot <woodsyl@iwonantispam.com> wrote:

    >>> yeah, it is. but people who find it rude are dicks. seriously. you can
    >>> filter it off and never see anyone examine you. but lots of people leave
    >>> it on just so they can whine about it.
    >>
    >> People leave it on as a test to find out who the
    >> *real* dicks are.
    >> Being a dick yourself, you wouldn't have any idea why.
    >
    > keep telling yourself that, whiney.

    Wow, I just got a serious deja vu... I remember this exact conversation
    about EQ about 4 years ago.
    --
    RJB
    2/1/2005 8:52:41 AM

    "If a trainstation is where the train stops, what's a workstation...?"
    -Anon.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-01-31 19:00:45 -0800, i own a yacht <me@privacy.net> said:

    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg extrarice <extrarice@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> Yes, generally it's considered rude or invasive to randomly "check"
    >> other players, unless they have a bazarr (putting things in their
    >> inventory up for sale) or have the "invite" flag on.
    >
    > yeah, it is. but people who find it rude are dicks. seriously. you can
    > filter it off and never see anyone examine you. but lots of people leave
    > it on just so they can whine about it.

    You're entitled to your own opinion (as everyone else is), but I was
    thinking more of the culture shock that happened when FFXI was opened
    up to North America. The sudden influx of rude, obnoxious North
    American players was quite a shock to the Japanese players already
    there. And it seems like it just gets worse every day, though when
    World of Warcraft came out, a lot of them moved to that MMORPG.

    Bottom line, never assume that the person you're interacting with has
    the same world view as you or has the same culture/mannerisms as you.
    Treat all players with respect, and the FFXI community as a whole gets
    better.

    --
    Email: extrarice at gmail dot com
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In news:alt.games.final-fantasy, extrarice <extrarice@gmail.com> posted on
    Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:16:53 -0800:

    > Gold is insanely hard to earn in this game. The only monsters that drop
    > Gil are those who would logically carry such things (like orcs,
    > goblins, Yagudo and the like - more intelligent creatures). The Big-Mac
    > you see is an indication on your screen that you have a "food effect"
    > present on your character. Certain food items give you beefed up stats
    > for a time, like Meat Mithkabobs giving you improved strength.
    > Actually, learning how to make meals from basic food items is a way to
    > earn money later in the game.

    I'll definitely be learning to do that. I was actually killed on the
    battlefield after setting my new homepoint in extremely hostile territory.
    He showed me a few things about interacting with others (my first
    interaction, by the way) then gave me a thousand gil and a roll of silk.
    We ended up talking for about an hour while he waited on someone. Learned
    about trading and messages and other things. Really nice guy. :-) I guess
    he saw me get killed off in battle because he ran over and asked what level
    I was. One thing lead to another and then I had my first person on my
    Friend list. :-)

    > > 3. Does this game use classic Final Fantasy items such
    > > as potions, hi-potions, remedy, eye drops, etc...?
    > > So far I haven't located any, not that I could
    > > afford anything useful with only 62 gil to my name.
    >
    > Yes, those items are available, but they are expensive.

    Yeah, I found that out. HORRIBLY expensive!!

    > One quick tip: the best way to earn money in the beginning is to find a
    > guard (it will have a name with two initials at the end of it) at the
    > main gate in Windurst leading to West/East Sarutaruba and have "signet"
    > cast on you. Then, go in the field and fight monsters. They will drop
    > crystals. Collect the crystals, making sure to arrange them in stacks
    > of 12, and sell the stacks at the auction house.

    You mean collect some crystals, then auto-sort until I see I have at least
    12 of one kind of crystal?
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-02-01 07:12:09 -0800, Damaeus <no-mail@hotmail.invalid.net> said:

    > I'll definitely be learning to do that. I was actually killed on the
    > battlefield after setting my new homepoint in extremely hostile territory.
    > He showed me a few things about interacting with others (my first
    > interaction, by the way) then gave me a thousand gil and a roll of silk.
    > We ended up talking for about an hour while he waited on someone. Learned
    > about trading and messages and other things. Really nice guy. :-) I guess
    > he saw me get killed off in battle because he ran over and asked what level
    > I was. One thing lead to another and then I had my first person on my
    > Friend list. :-)

    Yeah, there are a lot of friendly, helpful people on the servers, ready
    to help people out.

    > You mean collect some crystals, then auto-sort until I see I have at least
    > 12 of one kind of crystal?

    Exactly. Check to see what the going rate is for a stack of crystals at
    the auction house, and sell them there.

    --
    Email: extrarice at gmail dot com
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, "L"
    <lisaanne_quilts@hothatesspammail.com> posted on Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:25:25
    -0500:

    > Post your server and your job - and what nation you started out in. Perhaps
    > someone can give you some more specific advice.

    I'm not sure of the server. I'll see if I can ascertain that the next time
    I log in. I started out in Windurst as an Elvaan Warrior. I'm currently
    on the low side of Level 4. I was over halfway to Level 5, but wandered
    way out to an outpost in West SanD'oria and set my new home point there so
    I wouldn't have to come from all the way in the middle of Windurst to hunt
    some more. That was a mistake. I was easily killed like three or four
    times in a row, each time setting me back further and further. I've
    decided to do some more leveling up with the easier creatures even though
    they net fewer experiences points per battle as my levels increase.
    Nothing like getting it from both ends, is there? You need more points,
    but you're getting fewer. Fortunately it seems like the point deficit
    differences from one level to the next aren't as great as in the offline
    versions, so it probably works out about the same.

    > And checkout some of these
    > websites
    > http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/
    > http://mysterytour.web.infoseek.co.jp/ffxi/us/
    > http://www.killingifrit.com/

    Thanks for the links!

    > (there are others very well organized as well, but I refuse to post links to
    > sites which advertise gil selling)

    Thanks. I've read about that and I think it's fairly dispicable. I've
    also been reading about employees of some company camping out where a
    particular monster is known to drop rare items. Nobody ever gets a chance
    to get the item because these scavengers are out there hogging them all and
    then selling the items on eBay for real money! What people won't do for a
    buck!

    Damaeus
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-02-01 08:08:29 -0800, Damaeus <no-mail@hotmail.invalid.net> said:

    > I'm not sure of the server. I'll see if I can ascertain that the next time
    > I log in. I started out in Windurst as an Elvaan Warrior. I'm currently
    > on the low side of Level 4. I was over halfway to Level 5, but wandered
    > way out to an outpost in West SanD'oria and set my new home point there so
    > I wouldn't have to come from all the way in the middle of Windurst to hunt
    > some more. That was a mistake. I was easily killed like three or four
    > times in a row, each time setting me back further and further. I've
    > decided to do some more leveling up with the easier creatures even though
    > they net fewer experiences points per battle as my levels increase.
    > Nothing like getting it from both ends, is there? You need more points,
    > but you're getting fewer. Fortunately it seems like the point deficit
    > differences from one level to the next aren't as great as in the offline
    > versions, so it probably works out about the same.

    The XP gaining system (heck, just about everything in the game) is
    designed to encourage the player to form relationships, gain friends,
    and otherwise join parties to battle and search for items. You really
    do rely quiet a bit on other people to advance through the game.

    --
    Email: extrarice at gmail dot com
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, i own a yacht <me@privacy.net> posted on
    1 Feb 2005 03:00:45 GMT:

    > yeah, it is. but people who find it rude are dicks. seriously. you can
    > filter it off and never see anyone examine you. but lots of people leave
    > it on just so they can whine about it.

    A guy I talked to within the game says he checks people all the time. He
    didn't mention whether anybody had ever slapped him for it or not. I think
    I saw in the settings somewhere where you can make yourself anonymous and
    hide everything about yourself. Seems like people would do that.

    Damaeus
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:17:07 -0800, extrarice <none@yourbusiness.com>
    wrote:

    >On 2005-01-31 19:00:45 -0800, i own a yacht <me@privacy.net> said:
    >
    >> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg extrarice <extrarice@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Yes, generally it's considered rude or invasive to randomly "check"
    >>> other players, unless they have a bazarr (putting things in their
    >>> inventory up for sale) or have the "invite" flag on.
    >>
    >> yeah, it is. but people who find it rude are dicks. seriously. you can
    >> filter it off and never see anyone examine you. but lots of people leave
    >> it on just so they can whine about it.
    >
    >You're entitled to your own opinion (as everyone else is), but I was
    >thinking more of the culture shock that happened when FFXI was opened
    >up to North America. The sudden influx of rude, obnoxious North
    >American players was quite a shock to the Japanese players already
    >there. And it seems like it just gets worse every day, though when
    >World of Warcraft came out, a lot of them moved to that MMORPG.

    Those uncivilized gaijin >:(!!!

    Rob
    ploovTeHSPaeMBLoKuR@charter.net

    --

    Owner of 2501 Netstalker Points awarded by Corwin of Amber, mainly
    because Atma's just too damn attractive to get away from.

    Gave 7499 Netstalker Points to Cypher because there's no such thing as
    a good day on AGFF without JT bashing!

    Owner of David Watson, rec.arts.anime.misc

    "Couples action-packed gameplay and a methodical storyline into one
    brilliant game that appeals to gamer's not wealthy enough to purchase
    a PC and those not smart enough to operate and configure one."
    --TruthMedia on Halo 2
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 31-Jan-05 14:16, extrarice wrote:

    > My handle is Entilzha.

    And that would make you a Bab5/JMS fan, I'm assuming.
    --
    Zarggg
    KeyID: 0x2FAAE151

    In news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, i own a yacht <me@privacy.net> posted on
    2 Feb 2005 01:35:37 GMT:

    > i'm not talking about the japanese players. i preferred grouping with
    > them and tried to be as courteous as possible. but there's absolutely no
    > reason whatsoever for whitey to leave the inspect messages on if they
    > don't want to see them. they simply want to bitch about someone having
    > the nerve to inspect them. you see that passive-aggressive attitude all
    > the time in online games.

    Well, I can see your point. But the Check feature is there for players to
    use. Why would it be rude to use it? What are we supposed to do? Walk
    around with blindfolds on and ask for permission to look at someone?
    Sometimes I check people after they've killed a monster I've never fought
    before so I can find out what level I could attack the same monster and
    have a chance of being successful.

    And, of course, to go and check someone, the worst thing that could happen
    is that you can't be friends with him. It's not like he can kill you or
    anything. Then again, when engaged in battle, perhaps there is if it's
    anything like offline Final Fantasy when you can have your warrior attack
    your white mage just for the fun of it. I used to do that all the time to
    get one party member waaaay on up there in experience. Kill everybody off
    except one character and he levels up like crazy.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, Damaeus <no-mail@hotmail.invalid.net>
    posted on Tue, 01 Feb 2005 16:08:29 GMT:

    > In news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, "L"
    > <lisaanne_quilts@hothatesspammail.com> posted on Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:25:25
    > -0500:
    >
    > > Post your server and your job - and what nation you started out in. Perhaps
    > > someone can give you some more specific advice.
    >
    > I'm not sure of the server. I'll see if I can ascertain that the next time
    > I log in.

    I must be on the Odin server because right after the game loaded and I
    appeared where I left off, the log window said "Welcome to Odin!"

    > I started out in Windurst as an Elvaan Warrior. I'm currently
    > on the low side of Level 4. I was over halfway to Level 5, but wandered
    > way out to an outpost in West SanD'oria and set my new home point there so
    > I wouldn't have to come from all the way in the middle of Windurst to hunt
    > some more.

    No, that wasn't SanD'oria. It was that area west of Windurst. If the
    names weren't so goofy I might be able to remember them more easily. If
    you go through the Shiva Gate and hang a right, there's a path that
    eventually leads to an outpost. There seems to be no way to go inside the
    outpost, but there's a guy there selling eyedrops, potions and a couple of
    other things, and another guy there to set your new home point. I will try
    going back down there when I can kill those crows and the crawlers without
    a problem. I'm up to Level 5 now after finding some river crabs and
    others. There were lots of different kinds of crabs running around out
    there. I found one land crab and I was killed in front of about a dozen
    people who were fishing -- THREE TIMES! And one of those times was when I
    saw a guy was trying to do some fishing and I saw this blue crab nipping at
    his heels. Just as I engaged the crab, the other guy drew his sword and
    turned around, but it was too late. I was already locked in. So the other
    guy stands there and watches. WHen my HP is about half its maximum value,
    I suddenly realize I've accidentally engaged that stupid land crab again.
    I disengage, but he chases me halfway across the prairie nipping at my
    heals until I eventually get killed off again. I think the Disengage
    feature is a joke. So far I haven't found one creature who leaves you
    alone when you disengage; you just stop fighting and they chase you down
    and take pot shots until you die.
    --
    Windblade of Windurst on the Odin server
    Level 5 Elvaan Warrior

    Briarroot <woodsyl@iwonantispam.com> writes:

    > i own a yacht wrote:
    > >
    > >> Yes, generally it's considered rude or invasive to randomly "check"
    > >> other players, unless they have a bazarr (putting things in their
    > >> inventory up for sale) or have the "invite" flag on.
    > > yeah, it is. but people who find it rude are dicks. seriously. you
    > > can
    > > filter it off and never see anyone examine you. but lots of people leave
    > > it on just so they can whine about it.
    >
    > People leave it on as a test to find out who the *real* dicks are.
    > Being a dick yourself, you wouldn't have any idea why.

    Oh, yes, because the epitome of dickitude is to look at the people
    around you, that's for sure. I don't see how anyone could possibly
    expect to have a right to look at someone else to see what they're
    wearing, just like in real life where I go around punching people who
    don't avert their eyes when passing me in the street.

    That said I don't actually tend to inspect people in games like this
    because for some inexplicable reason some people get upset over it.
    Which is why the game shouldn't report that you're being inspected,
    that solves the problem neatly.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-02-01 21:59:39 -0800, Damaeus <no-mail@hotmail.invalid.net> said:

    > Well, I can see your point. But the Check feature is there for players to
    > use. Why would it be rude to use it? What are we supposed to do? Walk
    > around with blindfolds on and ask for permission to look at someone?
    > Sometimes I check people after they've killed a monster I've never fought
    > before so I can find out what level I could attack the same monster and
    > have a chance of being successful.

    I suppose I'm just talking about the wholesale checking of masses of
    people while you run through town, or pass eachother on the way. Also,
    this is not really much of an issue anymore, as there are lots of NA
    players on the servers.

    > And, of course, to go and check someone, the worst thing that could happen
    > is that you can't be friends with him. It's not like he can kill you or
    > anything. Then again, when engaged in battle, perhaps there is if it's
    > anything like offline Final Fantasy when you can have your warrior attack
    > your white mage just for the fun of it. I used to do that all the time to
    > get one party member waaaay on up there in experience. Kill everybody off
    > except one character and he levels up like crazy.

    As far as I know, there is no player-vs-player combat in FFXI. You can
    try to goad a monster into attacking someone else, but that's difficult
    to do.

    --
    Email: extrarice at gmail dot com
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-02-01 20:24:27 -0800, Zarggg <zarggg@zarggg.net> said:

    > On 31-Jan-05 14:16, extrarice wrote:
    >
    >> My handle is Entilzha.
    >
    > And that would make you a Bab5/JMS fan, I'm assuming.

    Correct. Just finishing up the 4th season discs.

    --
    Email: extrarice at gmail dot com
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-02-01 22:01:52 -0800, Damaeus ala Windllade
    <no-mail@hotmail.invalid.net> said:

    > I must be on the Odin server because right after the game loaded and I
    > appeared where I left off, the log window said "Welcome to Odin!"

    Yep, you're on Odin.

    > No, that wasn't SanD'oria. It was that area west of Windurst. If the
    > names weren't so goofy I might be able to remember them more easily. If
    > you go through the Shiva Gate and hang a right, there's a path that
    > eventually leads to an outpost. There seems to be no way to go inside the
    > outpost, but there's a guy there selling eyedrops, potions and a couple of
    > other things, and another guy there to set your new home point. I will try
    > going back down there when I can kill those crows and the crawlers without
    > a problem. I'm up to Level 5 now after finding some river crabs and
    > others. There were lots of different kinds of crabs running around out
    > there. I found one land crab and I was killed in front of about a dozen
    > people who were fishing -- THREE TIMES! And one of those times was when I
    > saw a guy was trying to do some fishing and I saw this blue crab nipping at
    > his heels. Just as I engaged the crab, the other guy drew his sword and
    > turned around, but it was too late. I was already locked in. So the other
    > guy stands there and watches. WHen my HP is about half its maximum value,
    > I suddenly realize I've accidentally engaged that stupid land crab again.
    > I disengage, but he chases me halfway across the prairie nipping at my
    > heals until I eventually get killed off again. I think the Disengage
    > feature is a joke. So far I haven't found one creature who leaves you
    > alone when you disengage; you just stop fighting and they chase you down
    > and take pot shots until you die.

    When you engage a creature, no other players can fight, unless they are
    in your party OR you trigger the "call for help" action (hilight
    "disengage" and push right to change it to "call for help"). When you
    disengage, the monster does not leave you alone - you just stop
    fighting so you can run faster. Monsters have a concept of "hate", and
    they will attack whatever target they "hate" most. For example, if you
    are fighting a monster, and someone not in your party casts Cure on
    you, the monster will typically focus their "hate" on the caster.
    Now, as for the fishers: there exists several pieces of software that
    automates fishing. It's called "bot fishing", and is against
    Square-Enix's player user agreement. Basically, you can leave your
    compuer unattended, say while you're in class or at work, while your
    character fishes, gaining fishing experience and collecting fish to
    sell. The safe bet is to assume that anyone fishing with a blue name is
    a bot (but this is not always the case).

    --
    Email: extrarice at gmail dot com
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:09:44 GMT, Damaeus
    <no-mail@hotmail.invalid.net> wrote:

    > 1. I've just started playing Final Fantasy XI. I'm 1/4
    > of the way through Level 3 and I have earned NO gil
    > in battle. I've picked up a few worthless items
    > which I sold and which got me up to about 62 gil
    > after a couple of hours of gameplay (half of which
    > was spent actually learning my way around). One
    > item, some kind of tail, made a Big Mac appear on my
    > screen for a few minutes. Now what am I missing
    > here? Do stronger monsters further out in East/West
    > Stranglegoria (or whatever that area is outside
    > Windhurl) start dropping cold hard cash after
    > defeating them?

    When you leave your hometown there is usually a guard standing next to
    the gate whom you can ask to cast Signet onto you. Under this spell
    all your experience kills gains you also crystals and conquest points.
    It wears off after 1-3 hours (depending on your rank).

    Crystals are a valuable resource and are used up constantly (actually
    they are the catalyst for most craftskills). You can sell them for
    profit on the auction house. Just check the going price in the sales
    history and slightly undercut it (not too much lest you make no
    profit). Also other stuff that drops, like beehive chips, silk thread,
    etc. are stuff that goes for some gil over the AH. Only beastmen
    (goblins, yagudo, quadav, orcs) drop gil directly.

    That "hamburger" icon indicates you are under the effect of food.
    Food in this game boosts your stats (like STR, DEX, Attack, MP, etc.).
    And their effects depend on the food you consumed. THey last between
    3, 5, 30, and 180 minutes.

    >Note: While I was playing, I saw dozens of other player-characters running
    >back and forth. It was quite amusing to watch as I stood in town learning
    >how to control various aspects of the game. LOL! People just running from
    >the battlefields into town and back again. Oh, I also saw someone running
    >past, so I "checked him/her out". The other character stopped. I then
    >learned that other characters can tell when they're being checked out. I
    >suddenly felt like I was being sized up for a date, then felt some degree
    >of rejection when the other person just ran off into the wilderness.

    When you /check someone that other player sees a message:
    "Such-and-such examined you." However she/he can choose to switch off
    these notifications with their chat filter

    > 2. I see people's names and I've read in the quickstart
    > card what different colors of text above peoples'
    > heads mean, but I haven't yet figured out what the
    > little icons mean to the left of the text. When I'm
    > not in first-person view, I can see that I've had a
    > question mark over my head the whole time. I've
    > seen some with treasure bags, some with tangerines,
    > some with something that looks like a coffee cup
    > filled with gold coins, etc... I can't find
    > information about the meaning of these icons in the
    > game manual. What determines what icon a person
    > will have over his/her head and how can I change
    > mine? I figure it has something to do with what I'm
    > actually doing or something, but I don't know.
    > Perhaps that's why I have a question mark over my
    > head. I really DON'T know, and it shows! Heh.

    Question mark shows a character that hasn't been played over 5 days or
    so. Bags indicate a Bazaar. You can examine this person and look into
    their offerings for trade. Another common thing are linkpearls. They
    show that this person is a member of a guild (linkshell). White names
    mean you can see all information (level, jobs, rank, nation) whereas
    dark blue names shows an anonymous person. One can switch that on and
    off with /anon.

    > 3. Does this game use classic Final Fantasy items such
    > as potions, hi-potions, remedy, eye drops, etc...?
    > So far I haven't located any, not that I could
    > afford anything useful with only 62 gil to my name.

    Yes. But they are very expensive. And the cool-down for using
    potions is long. The most useful items in this regard are silent oils
    (you can sneak past sound-aggro mobs), prism powders (makes you
    invisible), echo drops (removes silence). They are still expensive
    though, since they are crafted and prices off NPC merchants are
    ridiculous high for newly started chars...

    -Arnulf
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, patrik@nordebo.com posted on 02 Feb 2005
    09:00:30 +0100:

    > Oh, yes, because the epitome of dickitude is to look at the people
    > around you, that's for sure. I don't see how anyone could possibly
    > expect to have a right to look at someone else to see what they're
    > wearing, just like in real life where I go around punching people who
    > don't avert their eyes when passing me in the street.
    >
    > That said I don't actually tend to inspect people in games like this
    > because for some inexplicable reason some people get upset over it.
    > Which is why the game shouldn't report that you're being inspected,
    > that solves the problem neatly.

    One of the reasons I like to inspect people is to find out what level
    they're on as I see them, for example, killing a Yucolite Acolyte (or
    whatever those things are) in one swing of the sword. I saw some guy
    messing with a Crawler and he was knocking out 36HP with each attack. I
    was curious so I checked him to see what level he was: 22 Thief.

    I don't just run around checking people for no reason, and if someone tells
    me they think it's rude, all I can do is explain why I was doing it.

    Maybe it's something like the whole usenet debate of top-posting,
    signatures more than four lines long, overquoting, or whatever. I get the
    sense that a lot of times, the people complaining are just wanting to
    parrot the "rules" they were first exposed to... a kind way for them to
    show that they're not clueless newbies, when it actuality they're making
    themselves out to be self-proclaimed 'net nannies.
    --
    Windblade of Windurst on the Odin server
    Level 6 Elvaan Warrior

    extrarice wrote:

    > On 2005-02-01 20:24:27 -0800, Zarggg <zarggg@zarggg.net> said:
    >
    > > On 31-Jan-05 14:16, extrarice wrote:
    > >
    > >> My handle is Entilzha.
    > >
    > > And that would make you a Bab5/JMS fan, I'm assuming.
    >
    > Correct. Just finishing up the 4th season discs.

    A very good show. I don't get the reference, though.

    --

    Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the future.

    "Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-02-02 09:39:21 -0800, RogerM <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> said:

    > extrarice wrote:

    >>> And that would make you a Bab5/JMS fan, I'm assuming.
    >>
    >> Correct. Just finishing up the 4th season discs.
    >>

    > A very good show. I don't get the reference, though.

    What the Minbari call Ranger One. Means "One who sets into motion that
    which changes the future"

    --
    Email: extrarice at gmail dot com
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    patrik@nordebo.com wrote:

    > Briarroot <woodsyl@iwonantispam.com> writes:
    >>
    >>People leave it on as a test to find out who the *real* dicks are.
    >>Being a dick yourself, you wouldn't have any idea why.
    >
    > Oh, yes, because the epitome of dickitude is to look at the people
    > around you, that's for sure. I don't see how anyone could possibly
    > expect to have a right to look at someone else to see what they're
    > wearing, just like in real life where I go around punching people who
    > don't avert their eyes when passing me in the street.

    Both in the game worlds and in real-life, you can see what people are
    wearing or wielding
    without inspection, it's the details that are lacking. The real-life
    equivalent to online inspections
    would be grabbing someone and turning their clothing inside out so you
    could inspect the labels.
    If you tried that on the street, you'd deserve to get punched!
    Online, many players feel that their
    privacy is similarly invaded by unwelcome inspections. It's really
    that simple.

    > That said I don't actually tend to inspect people in games like this
    > because for some inexplicable reason some people get upset over it.

    In other words, you recognize that many people consider this impolite
    behavior, you respect
    their feelings and you act accordingly. Good, so do I.

    > Which is why the game shouldn't report that you're being inspected,
    > that solves the problem neatly.

    Or eliminate the ability to inspect altogether. Then if one player
    wanted to know what another
    was wearing, they would have to start an actual *conversation* with
    them. Imagine the novelty
    in that! <sarcasm intended>
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Damaeus wrote:

    > Maybe it's something like the whole usenet debate of top-posting,
    > signatures more than four lines long, overquoting, or whatever. I get the
    > sense that a lot of times, the people complaining are just wanting to
    > parrot the "rules" they were first exposed to... a kind way for them to
    > show that they're not clueless newbies, when it actuality they're making
    > themselves out to be self-proclaimed 'net nannies.

    Perhaps those you label "net nannies" have a different perspective and
    a valid reason
    for complaint. Those rules you so glibly dismiss, were never really
    rules to begin with,
    merely norms that became accepted standards because they succeeded in
    fostering
    clear exposition and minimizing misunderstandings. Something even
    clueless newbs
    should have an interest in maintaining.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Damaeus wrote:
    > In news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, i own a yacht <me@privacy.net>
    posted on
    > 1 Feb 2005 03:00:45 GMT:
    >
    > > yeah, it is. but people who find it rude are dicks. seriously. you
    can
    > > filter it off and never see anyone examine you. but lots of people
    leave
    > > it on just so they can whine about it.
    >
    > A guy I talked to within the game says he checks people all the time.
    He
    > didn't mention whether anybody had ever slapped him for it or not. I
    think
    > I saw in the settings somewhere where you can make yourself anonymous
    and
    > hide everything about yourself. Seems like people would do that.

    This particular issue is, I believe, mostly a carry over from the
    ettiquette of the MUDs that everquest and subsequently FF11 were based
    off. The majority of DIKU MUDs allowed but did not encourage antisocial
    activities like player killing and pickpocketing, and inspecting was
    taken as a sure indication of someone sizing you up to either rob you
    or kill you.

    The prevailing attitude carried over into everquest, where none of
    these things are possible (except on pvp servers where it's more
    obvious, and I believe, to this day has a decent likelihood of getting
    you killed if you try it), and has kept on from there, even though very
    few people actually think about *why* they consider it rude for someone
    to inspect them. It's even weirder in some cases in that people who
    have their entire character profile, equipment and history available on
    the net at places like eqrankings still get annoyed when people inspect
    them.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Damaeus wrote:
    > In news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, i own a yacht <me@privacy.net>
    posted on
    > 1 Feb 2005 03:00:45 GMT:
    >
    > > yeah, it is. but people who find it rude are dicks. seriously. you
    can
    > > filter it off and never see anyone examine you. but lots of people
    leave
    > > it on just so they can whine about it.
    >
    > A guy I talked to within the game says he checks people all the time.
    He
    > didn't mention whether anybody had ever slapped him for it or not. I
    think
    > I saw in the settings somewhere where you can make yourself anonymous
    and
    > hide everything about yourself. Seems like people would do that.

    This particular issue is, I believe, mostly a carry over from the
    ettiquette of the MUDs that everquest and subsequently FF11 were based
    off. The majority of DIKU MUDs allowed but did not encourage antisocial
    activities like player killing and pickpocketing, and inspecting was
    taken as a sure indication of someone sizing you up to either rob you
    or kill you.

    The prevailing attitude carried over into everquest, where none of
    these things are possible (except on pvp servers where it's more
    obvious, and I believe, to this day has a decent likelihood of getting
    you killed if you try it), and has kept on from there, even though very
    few people actually think about *why* they consider it rude for someone
    to inspect them. It's even weirder in some cases in that people who
    have their entire character profile, equipment and history available on
    the net at places like eqrankings still get annoyed when people inspect
    them.
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    i own a yacht wrote:

    > Briarroot <woodsyl@iwonantispam.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Or eliminate the ability to inspect altogether. Then if one player
    > > wanted to know what another was wearing, they would have to start
    > > an actual *conversation* with them. Imagine the novelty in that!
    > > <sarcasm intended>
    >
    > yeah. and then imagine the novelty in it after your sixth month of
    > playing.

    If think talking with other people is inconvenient or boring, why
    are you playing an MMO? Some of us enjoy socializing and meeting
    new people; it never gets old. A desire to find out what special
    gear a stranger is using is a great excuse to start a friendship.
    Which is not something you'd understand, is it?
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    extrarice <none@yourbusiness.com> writes:
    > On 2005-01-31 19:00:45 -0800, i own a yacht <me@privacy.net> said:
    >
    > > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg extrarice <extrarice@gmail.com> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Yes, generally it's considered rude or invasive to randomly "check"
    > >> other players, unless they have a bazarr (putting things in their
    > >> inventory up for sale) or have the "invite" flag on.
    > >
    > > yeah, it is. but people who find it rude are dicks. seriously. you can
    > > filter it off and never see anyone examine you. but lots of people leave
    > > it on just so they can whine about it.
    >
    > You're entitled to your own opinion (as everyone else is), but I was
    > thinking more of the culture shock that happened when FFXI was opened
    > up to North America. The sudden influx of rude, obnoxious North
    > American players was quite a shock to the Japanese players already
    > there. And it seems like it just gets worse every day, though when
    > World of Warcraft came out, a lot of them moved to that MMORPG.

    Having played FFXI for 6 months a year ago, I still fail to grasp
    the idea that checking someone is considered rude. What do they want
    to hide? It's not like I was peeking into their pockets, I'm just
    looking at what they are wearing.

    There were obnoxious people from all countries, Japan being no exception.

    --
    Niko Wellingk
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-02-02 15:49:37 -0800, Niko Wellingk <naw@dna.removeme.fi> said:

    > Having played FFXI for 6 months a year ago, I still fail to grasp
    > the idea that checking someone is considered rude. What do they want
    > to hide? It's not like I was peeking into their pockets, I'm just
    > looking at what they are wearing.
    >
    > There were obnoxious people from all countries, Japan being no exception.

    It's a cultural difference. Consider that Japanese people don't even
    call eachother by (what we call) their first name, unless they are
    very, very close friends. It's not a matter of hiding something, it's
    just something that's not expected by that culture. Japananese culture,
    for good or ill, focuses on respect and politeness when in public.
    There is an order and a proper, organized way of doing things. Then all
    of a sudden, the NA client is released, and thousands of people who
    know very little about respect and politeness start exploring
    Vanna'diel. An anecdote: A friend of mine starts playing the game and
    creates her character. The very first person that she walks past
    /checks her and says "Spare stuff????!!"
    Anyhow, the NA client has been out for a while, and most Japanese
    players are now used to the way the typical NA player behaves (or they
    are /anon and hang out in the advanced areas, away from the newer
    players). And I agree that Japan also has obnoxious people, but the
    amount is far fewer than other countries.

    --
    Email: extrarice at gmail dot com
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, extrarice <none@yourbusiness.com> posted
    on Wed, 2 Feb 2005 17:33:06 -0800:

    > An anecdote: A friend of mine starts playing the game and creates
    > her character. The very first person that she walks past /checks
    > her and says "Spare stuff????!!"

    Good grief! As needy as I am for stronger weapons and armor, I have not
    resorted to begging others for it. Yes, that would definitely annoy me!
    --
    Windblade of Windurst on the Odin server
    Level 6 Elvaan Warrior
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, Arnulf Guenther Jr. <arnulfg@gmx.net>
    posted on Wed, 02 Feb 2005 16:13:18 -0800:

    > When you leave your hometown there is usually a guard standing next to
    > the gate whom you can ask to cast Signet onto you. Under this spell
    > all your experience kills gains you also crystals and conquest points.
    > It wears off after 1-3 hours (depending on your rank).

    Yeah, I started doing that around Level 3, I think. Oh, and it wasn't
    until Level 4 that I realized I could actually see how my opponent's HP was
    holding up. Having seen that, I probably would have been running from a
    lot fewer battles and probably would have been killed off a lot less
    frequently.

    > Crystals are a valuable resource and are used up constantly (actually
    > they are the catalyst for most craftskills). You can sell them for
    > profit on the auction house.

    Yeah, I found that out when I visited the bonecrafters guild. I learned
    how to craft a shell ring. It cost me $180 in supplies to craft one, and I
    thought, "Oh goodie I can sell it for probably 500!" But I got to the
    auction house and people were only selling them for $200. Talk about a low
    profit margin. I used odd pricing. I priced mine at 195.

    > That "hamburger" icon indicates you are under the effect of food.
    > Food in this game boosts your stats (like STR, DEX, Attack, MP, etc.).
    > And their effects depend on the food you consumed. THey last between
    > 3, 5, 30, and 180 minutes.

    The Rarab Tail boosts strength, I think, by 1 and reduces vitality by 3.
    Must be bad eating. I was unable to eat the "tender" crab meat.

    > Question mark shows a character that hasn't been played over 5 days or
    > so.

    Mine disappeared after I used the auction house for the first time.

    > > 3. Does this game use classic Final Fantasy items such
    > > as potions, hi-potions, remedy, eye drops, etc...?
    > > So far I haven't located any, not that I could
    > > afford anything useful with only 62 gil to my name.
    > >

    > Yes. But they are very expensive. And the cool-down for using
    > potions is long. The most useful items in this regard are silent oils
    > (you can sneak past sound-aggro mobs), prism powders (makes you
    > invisible), echo drops (removes silence).

    Antidotes will do me a world of good. I was fighting a crawler who was an
    "even match" but he got better shots in on me. I returned to home and ran
    back to him while his HP was still recovering. I attacked again and killed
    him with 26HP left over, but he'd belched out a cloud of poison gas. So I
    ran back to the outpost, sold three spools of silk to get enough gil to buy
    a couple of antidotes. I waited until my HP was down to 2 and consumed the
    antidote to keep from dying.

    I figure I'll be able to find items to prevent poisoning, stone, silence
    and other status ailments at some point. It doesn't seem like "stone"
    actually turns you to stone in this game, at least it hasn't done it to me
    yet.

    > They are still expensive though, since they are crafted and prices
    > off NPC merchants are ridiculous high for newly started chars...

    No doubt! And there seems to be only a certain amount of the items. I
    think I've bought almost all the antitodes at the outpost in East
    Saturabaruta or whatever it's called.
    --
    Windblade of Windurst on the Odin server
    Level 6 Elvaan Warrior
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-02-03 02:17:29 -0800, Damaeus <no-mail@hotmail.invalid.net> said:

    >> That "hamburger" icon indicates you are under the effect of food.
    >> Food in this game boosts your stats (like STR, DEX, Attack, MP, etc.).
    >> And their effects depend on the food you consumed. THey last between
    >> 3, 5, 30, and 180 minutes.
    >
    > The Rarab Tail boosts strength, I think, by 1 and reduces vitality by 3.
    > Must be bad eating. I was unable to eat the "tender" crab meat.

    That item is used in the Cooking craft to make better meals. Though I
    think Mithra might be able to eat it (they are the only race that can
    eat uncookd fish).

    >>> 3. Does this game use classic Final Fantasy items such
    >>> as potions, hi-potions, remedy, eye drops, etc...?
    >>> So far I haven't located any, not that I could
    >>> afford anything useful with only 62 gil to my name.
    >>>

    >> Yes. But they are very expensive. And the cool-down for using
    >> potions is long. The most useful items in this regard are silent oils
    >> (you can sneak past sound-aggro mobs), prism powders (makes you
    >> invisible), echo drops (removes silence).
    >
    > Antidotes will do me a world of good. I was fighting a crawler who was an
    > "even match" but he got better shots in on me. I returned to home and ran
    > back to him while his HP was still recovering. I attacked again and killed
    > him with 26HP left over, but he'd belched out a cloud of poison gas. So I
    > ran back to the outpost, sold three spools of silk to get enough gil to buy
    > a couple of antidotes. I waited until my HP was down to 2 and consumed the
    > antidote to keep from dying.

    Something you could do, if you're close to a city, is go into your Mog
    House. It automatically refills all your HP. Go in, and if the Poison
    doesn't wear off before you're almost dead again, leave then re-enter
    your Mog house.

    > I figure I'll be able to find items to prevent poisoning, stone, silence
    > and other status ailments at some point. It doesn't seem like "stone"
    > actually turns you to stone in this game, at least it hasn't done it to me
    > yet.

    Stone is an environmental attack, like Ice or Fire.

    --
    Email: extrarice at gmail dot com
  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "extrarice" <none@yourbusiness.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > and push right to change it to "call for help"). When you disengage, the
    > monster does not leave you alone - you just stop fighting so you can run
    > faster. Monsters have a concept of "hate", and they will attack whatever
    > target they "hate" most. For example, if you are fighting a monster, and
    > someone not in your party casts Cure on you, the monster will typically
    > focus their "hate" on the caster.
    > Now, as for the fishers: there exists several pieces of software that
    > automates fishing. It's called "bot fishing", and is against Square-Enix's
    > player user agreement. Basically, you can leave your compuer unattended,
    > say while you're in class or at work, while your character fishes, gaining
    > fishing experience and collecting fish to sell. The safe bet is to assume
    > that anyone fishing with a blue name is a bot (but this is not always the

    When I fish, I go anon. My highest level jobs are WHM and BRD, and being in
    an area w/o the anon results in party invites and/or calls to raise.

    I suspect the fisherman who tried to attack the crab was not a bot - but I
    have no experience in how intelligent "bots" can be.

    That said - EVERYONE should have a "Call for Help" macro.
    Windblade, unfortunately you are not on my server - Asura - or I woud be
    more than willing to help you in-game.

    In the meantime, keep posting, and asking, and read a few guides.
    LEARN TO MACRO. As a warrior you will need at least two - a macro for
    calling for help (put out a shout and give your name and position AS WELL as
    issue a /Help command), and a macro for performing the provoke. At higher
    levels, a warrior must keep hate in a party. The ability to Provoke
    consistantly and as often as the job ability will let you, is one your party
    will appreciate.

    I don't play warrior, but I'm sure someone will be able to advise.

    I *really* recommend the Alakazham forums.
  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Briarroot <woodsyl@iwonantispam.com> writes:

    > patrik@nordebo.com wrote:
    > >
    > > Briarroot <woodsyl@iwonantispam.com> writes:
    > >>
    > >>People leave it on as a test to find out who the *real* dicks are.
    > >>Being a dick yourself, you wouldn't have any idea why.
    > > Oh, yes, because the epitome of dickitude is to look at the people
    > > around you, that's for sure. I don't see how anyone could possibly
    > > expect to have a right to look at someone else to see what they're
    > > wearing, just like in real life where I go around punching people who
    > > don't avert their eyes when passing me in the street.
    >

    > Both in the game worlds and in real-life, you can see what people
    > are wearing or wielding without inspection, it's the details that
    > are lacking. The real-life equivalent to online inspections would
    > be grabbing someone and turning their clothing inside out so you
    > could inspect the labels. If you tried that on the street, you'd
    > deserve to get punched!

    No, in game worlds you typically can't see what people are wearing or
    wielding, because there are dozens or hundreds of items that look
    exactly alike for technical reasons, yet are quite different items.
    This is unlike in real life - I can tell at a glance e.g. what mobile
    phone someone is using, or what kind of watch they're wearing, etc.

    If the game was to actually have different looks for different items
    (and maybe some games do, but most don't), then not being able to
    inspect makes sense. And having an item show up as "unknown" until
    you can inspect it more closely also makes sense. But being utterly
    unable to tell the difference between items just because there aren't
    resources to have unique models for everything? No thanks.

    > Online, many players feel that their privacy is similarly invaded by
    > unwelcome inspections. It's really that simple.

    And if there was no message then there would be no feeling of invaded
    privacy.

    > > That said I don't actually tend to inspect people in games like this
    > > because for some inexplicable reason some people get upset over it.
    >
    > In other words, you recognize that many people consider this
    > impolite behavior, you respect their feelings and you act
    > accordingly. Good, so do I.

    I respect their feelings, I just think they're being silly.

    > > Which is why the game shouldn't report that you're being inspected,
    > > that solves the problem neatly.
    >
    > Or eliminate the ability to inspect altogether. Then if one player
    > wanted to know what another was wearing, they would have to start an
    > actual *conversation* with them. Imagine the novelty in that!

    See, people do that anyway, even when there is inspection and they
    have inspected, at least in Everquest (which is where I've spent
    almost all my MMORPG time), because they're curious where it comes
    from or what it does (in Everquest only the name of the item is shown
    when you inspect, not the stats). I think that's a good balance,
    except that the game gives a message when someone inspects them.
  36. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 17:33:06 -0800, extrarice <none@yourbusiness.com>
    wrote:

    >On 2005-02-02 15:49:37 -0800, Niko Wellingk <naw@dna.removeme.fi> said:
    >
    >> Having played FFXI for 6 months a year ago, I still fail to grasp
    >> the idea that checking someone is considered rude. What do they want
    >> to hide? It's not like I was peeking into their pockets, I'm just
    >> looking at what they are wearing.
    >>
    >> There were obnoxious people from all countries, Japan being no exception.
    >
    >It's a cultural difference. Consider that Japanese people don't even
    >call eachother by (what we call) their first name, unless they are
    >very, very close friends. It's not a matter of hiding something, it's
    >just something that's not expected by that culture. Japananese culture,
    >for good or ill, focuses on respect and politeness when in public.
    >There is an order and a proper, organized way of doing things. Then all
    >of a sudden, the NA client is released, and thousands of people who
    >know very little about respect and politeness start exploring
    >Vanna'diel. An anecdote: A friend of mine starts playing the game and

    Still not getting what's so disrespectful and impolite about "looking
    at what [other characters] are wearing."

    >players). And I agree that Japan also has obnoxious people, but the
    >amount is far fewer than other countries.

    EYES ROLLING INTO BACK OF HEAD

    Rob
    ploovTeHSPaeMBLoKuR@charter.net

    --

    Owner of 2501 Netstalker Points awarded by Corwin of Amber, mainly
    because Atma's just too damn attractive to get away from.

    Gave 7499 Netstalker Points to Cypher because there's no such thing as
    a good day on AGFF without JT bashing!

    Owner of David Watson, rec.arts.anime.misc

    "Couples action-packed gameplay and a methodical storyline into one
    brilliant game that appeals to gamer's not wealthy enough to purchase
    a PC and those not smart enough to operate and configure one."
    --TruthMedia on Halo 2
  37. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Rob Browning" <pluvius3@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 17:33:06 -0800, extrarice <none@yourbusiness.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On 2005-02-02 15:49:37 -0800, Niko Wellingk <naw@dna.removeme.fi> said:
    >>
    >>> Having played FFXI for 6 months a year ago, I still fail to grasp
    >>> the idea that checking someone is considered rude. What do they want
    >>> to hide? It's not like I was peeking into their pockets, I'm just
    >>> looking at what they are wearing.
    >>>
    >>> There were obnoxious people from all countries, Japan being no
    >>> exception.
    >>
    >>It's a cultural difference. Consider that Japanese people don't even
    >>call eachother by (what we call) their first name, unless they are
    >>very, very close friends. It's not a matter of hiding something, it's
    >>just something that's not expected by that culture. Japananese culture,
    >>for good or ill, focuses on respect and politeness when in public.
    >>There is an order and a proper, organized way of doing things. Then all
    >>of a sudden, the NA client is released, and thousands of people who
    >>know very little about respect and politeness start exploring
    >>Vanna'diel. An anecdote: A friend of mine starts playing the game and
    >
    > Still not getting what's so disrespectful and impolite about "looking
    > at what [other characters] are wearing."
    >
    >>players). And I agree that Japan also has obnoxious people, but the
    >>amount is far fewer than other countries.
    >
    > EYES ROLLING INTO BACK OF HEAD

    YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND YOU BAKA GAIJIN ^_^

    - Steve
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    i own a yacht wrote:

    > Briarroot <woodsyl@iwonantispam.com> wrote:
    >
    >>If think talking with other people is inconvenient or boring,
    >
    > are you retarded? yes, after playing the game for several months, it is
    > inconvenient and boring to stop and start a conversation with every high
    > level ranger in jeuno simply because i'm interested to know what
    > equipment they're using. hanging out in jeuno, waiting for a group or
    > visiting the auction house, i might inspect 20 people. maybe that's
    > awesome for a chatty kathy like you, but some people would rather just
    > spend the 3 seconds inspecting and move on.

    This is a perfect illustration of why many people don't like
    MMOs - because they meet too many players like you.
  39. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-02-03 20:26:33 -0800, Rob Browning <pluvius3@hotmail.com> said:

    > On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 17:33:06 -0800, extrarice <none@yourbusiness.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On 2005-02-02 15:49:37 -0800, Niko Wellingk <naw@dna.removeme.fi> said:
    >>
    >>> Having played FFXI for 6 months a year ago, I still fail to grasp
    >>> the idea that checking someone is considered rude. What do they want
    >>> to hide? It's not like I was peeking into their pockets, I'm just
    >>> looking at what they are wearing.
    >>>
    >>> There were obnoxious people from all countries, Japan being no exception.
    >>
    >> It's a cultural difference. Consider that Japanese people don't even
    >> call eachother by (what we call) their first name, unless they are
    >> very, very close friends. It's not a matter of hiding something, it's
    >> just something that's not expected by that culture. Japananese culture,
    >> for good or ill, focuses on respect and politeness when in public.
    >> There is an order and a proper, organized way of doing things. Then all
    >> of a sudden, the NA client is released, and thousands of people who
    >> know very little about respect and politeness start exploring
    >> Vanna'diel. An anecdote: A friend of mine starts playing the game and
    >
    > Still not getting what's so disrespectful and impolite about "looking
    > at what [other characters] are wearing."
    >
    >> players). And I agree that Japan also has obnoxious people, but the
    >> amount is far fewer than other countries.
    >
    > EYES ROLLING INTO BACK OF HEAD
    >
    > Rob
    > ploovTeHSPaeMBLoKuR@charter.net

    Ok, this thread is going nowhere. Instead of helping Damaeus, the
    conversation has degenerated. Let's just drop it.
    --
    Email: extrarice at gmail dot com
  40. Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Velk" <velk123@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Damaeus wrote:
    >> In news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, i own a yacht <me@privacy.net>
    > posted on
    >> 1 Feb 2005 03:00:45 GMT:
    >>
    >> > yeah, it is. but people who find it rude are dicks. seriously. you
    > can
    >> > filter it off and never see anyone examine you. but lots of people
    > leave
    >> > it on just so they can whine about it.
    >>
    >> A guy I talked to within the game says he checks people all the time.
    > He
    >> didn't mention whether anybody had ever slapped him for it or not. I
    > think
    >> I saw in the settings somewhere where you can make yourself anonymous
    > and
    >> hide everything about yourself. Seems like people would do that.
    >>

    > This particular issue is, I believe, mostly a carry over from the
    > ettiquette of the MUDs that everquest and subsequently FF11 were based
    > off. The majority of DIKU MUDs allowed but did not encourage antisocial
    > activities like player killing and pickpocketing, and inspecting was
    > taken as a sure indication of someone sizing you up to either rob you
    > or kill you.
    >
    > The prevailing attitude carried over into everquest, where none of
    > these things are possible (except on pvp servers where it's more
    > obvious, and I believe, to this day has a decent likelihood of getting
    > you killed if you try it), and has kept on from there, even though very
    > few people actually think about *why* they consider it rude for someone
    > to inspect them. It's even weirder in some cases in that people who
    > have their entire character profile, equipment and history available on
    > the net at places like eqrankings still get annoyed when people inspect
    > them.

    LOL
    I especially love the anons with the party flags up.
  41. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    i own a yacht wrote:
    > Briarroot <woodsyl@iwonantispam.com> wrote:
    >
    >>i own a yacht wrote:
    >>
    >>This is a perfect illustration of why many people don't like
    >>MMOs - because they meet too many players like you.
    >

    > or people like you, who start crying because someone inspected them even
    > though it's incredibly simple to filter out the messages.

    I don't cry or whine or in fact, say anything at all. I
    just give the /rude reply that your type deserves.

    Some day you'll move out of your dorm room or your parents
    house, and be forced to deal with real people. Even if they
    seldom think or act as you do, you'll need to learn to show
    them respect if you want them to respect you in turn.
    Thinking someone is "a dick" simply because they have
    different values than you do, is a sign of emotional
    insecurity and immaturity. Grow up!
  42. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    i own a yacht wrote:

    > Briarroot <woodsyl@iwonantispam.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>I don't cry or whine or in fact, say anything at all. I
    >>just give the /rude reply that your type deserves.
    >

    > that's crying. you're a cryer.
    >

    >>Some day you'll move out of your dorm room or your parents
    >>house, and be forced to deal with real people. Even if they
    >>seldom think or act as you do, you'll need to learn to show
    >>them respect if you want them to respect you in turn.
    >>Thinking someone is "a dick" simply because they have
    >>different values than you do, is a sign of emotional
    >>insecurity and immaturity. Grow up!
    >

    > crying when someone inspects you in a video game, when you can very
    > easily make it so you never know when someone is inspecting you, is a
    > sign of insecurity and immaturity. grow up yourself, twat.

    Quod erat demonstrandum.
  43. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, Briarroot <woodsyl@iwonantispam.com>
    posted on Sat, 05 Feb 2005 21:25:56 -0500:

    > I don't cry or whine or in fact, say anything at all. I
    > just give the /rude reply that your type deserves.

    Doesn't bother me at all to be checked. I feel kind of honored, in fact,
    that anybody is interested. I just stand there and just let them get an
    eyefull. Heh... I remember when I came out of the Leviathan gate, a Giant
    Bee had somehow made it all the way into the area where there are Tiny
    Mandragoras -- just right outside the gate. There were some weaker player
    characters and I knew I could take the giant bee, so I went after it and I
    "heard" some other characters saying "Yay!!! Get'em Windblade!!" LOL
    Kinda makes me feel proud because I remember when I first started out --
    how impressed I was when somebody could kill a crawler in two hits and it
    was everything I could do to take one down without being killed. I wonder
    if there's a "bursting with pride" emote I could use to stand there after
    defeating the monster, put my hands on my hips, my chin in the air, and my
    chest swelled out like Dolly Parton. Not really meaning true pride, but
    sort of a comical performance to deliver after killing something. :-)
    --
    Windblade of Windurst on the Odin server
    Level 9 Elvaan Warrior

    i own a yacht wrote:

    > Briarroot <woodsyl@iwonantispam.com> wrote:
    >
    >>>crying when someone inspects you in a video game, when you can very
    >>>easily make it so you never know when someone is inspecting you, is a
    >>>sign of insecurity and immaturity. grow up yourself, twat.
    >>
    >>Quod erat demonstrandum.
    >

    > you did not need to write out the full words. i realized you were a
    > self-righteous pretentious jackass several posts ago.

    It's too bad self-awareness is beyond your capabilities.

PC gaming Final Fantasy Games Video Games Product