Breaking the addiction to WoW

Last response: in Video Games
Share
February 1, 2005 2:36:07 AM

hello. I recently became addicted to WoW. out of a month I played for nearly
a week straight. This was pretty much all my spare time for a month.

At first every minute was exciting. After level 20 or so the scale slowly
tipped to more frustration and work than fun. But there is so much addiction
to get to that new level and upgrade your skills.

I have a lvl 31 character and im still fighting murlocs and wolves just
repackaged for a higher lvl. My favorite parts of the game so far have the
the van cleef quest and stiches.

All the quests follow the same cookie cutter build formula. kill 10x of a
certain monster and return to town. Or take letter to npc x which you have
no idea where he is. finding npcs can be very frustrating and the channels
are constantly spammed with quest questions.

Then comes my issue with other players. Finding good people to group with or
people on the same quest is very difficult. Just the other day a guy was
getting swarmed and almost dead so I went over to help him out. If I hadnt
helped he would of died. Afterwards he tells me to stop attacking what he is
because there is plenty for everybody. There are so many tards playing this
game its rediculous. the point of a mmorpg is to game with other people but
to me they just blend into the rest of the environment.

I would much prefer a sp rpg with somewhat of a story and designed for 1
person.
I really wish they did a better job on morrowind. it had the feel of a
mmorpg but also the same problems. vast land filled with nothing and
lifeless npcs' just like WoW.

I could still be playing diablo 2 since release if they just added a new act
every once and a while. After saying all this for those of you that have
explored most of WoW is it worth all the time? im trying to resist logging
on and just picking up guild wars when it comes out.

More about : breaking addiction wow

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 1, 2005 2:58:41 AM

Seems to me this game is going to crash and burn hard this summer when
everyone hits level 50-60 and there is nothing to do.
For a game that is so fun people sure complain about it alot. The Blizzard
forums are all complaints. All the high Lvl players got there in less than 3
months now they are all bored silly.
Your sick of it already. Quit your account and go get a GF get outside enjoy
life :-)

Your not the first person to compare it to Morrowind. Just with WoW you pay
monthly to play alone :-)

http://worldzero.com/reviews/WoW.html

Glad I never got it. I'll look at it again in 18 months should be better by
then.

"Spork" <asdf@ewr.com> wrote in message news:HhzLd.40117$IV5.29@attbi_s54...
> hello. I recently became addicted to WoW. out of a month I played for
> nearly
> a week straight. This was pretty much all my spare time for a month.
>
> At first every minute was exciting. After level 20 or so the scale slowly
> tipped to more frustration and work than fun. But there is so much
> addiction
> to get to that new level and upgrade your skills.
>
> I have a lvl 31 character and im still fighting murlocs and wolves just
> repackaged for a higher lvl. My favorite parts of the game so far have the
> the van cleef quest and stiches.
>
> All the quests follow the same cookie cutter build formula. kill 10x of a
> certain monster and return to town. Or take letter to npc x which you have
> no idea where he is. finding npcs can be very frustrating and the channels
> are constantly spammed with quest questions.
>
> Then comes my issue with other players. Finding good people to group with
> or
> people on the same quest is very difficult. Just the other day a guy was
> getting swarmed and almost dead so I went over to help him out. If I hadnt
> helped he would of died. Afterwards he tells me to stop attacking what he
> is
> because there is plenty for everybody. There are so many tards playing
> this
> game its rediculous. the point of a mmorpg is to game with other people
> but
> to me they just blend into the rest of the environment.
>
> I would much prefer a sp rpg with somewhat of a story and designed for 1
> person.
> I really wish they did a better job on morrowind. it had the feel of a
> mmorpg but also the same problems. vast land filled with nothing and
> lifeless npcs' just like WoW.
>
> I could still be playing diablo 2 since release if they just added a new
> act
> every once and a while. After saying all this for those of you that have
> explored most of WoW is it worth all the time? im trying to resist logging
> on and just picking up guild wars when it comes out.

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 1, 2005 2:58:42 AM

"Jackfish" <fishheadxxxcpy@no.uk.com> wrote in message
> Seems to me this game is going to crash and burn hard this summer when
> everyone hits level 50-60 and there is nothing to do.
> For a game that is so fun people sure complain about it alot. The Blizzard
> forums are all complaints. All the high Lvl players got there in less than
> 3 months now they are all bored silly.
> Your sick of it already. Quit your account and go get a GF get outside
> enjoy life :-)
>
> Your not the first person to compare it to Morrowind. Just with WoW you
> pay monthly to play alone :-)
>
> http://worldzero.com/reviews/WoW.html
>
> Glad I never got it. I'll look at it again in 18 months should be better
> by then.

That's the main problem -- overexposure. If you play the game in
moderation, you don't skyrocket to level 60 in three months of gameplay, and
it's more enjoyable. Like having 10 cases of beer in front of you. Sure
you can down them all in two days, but then you'll barf, lie in bed bitching
about how you hate beer, and barf some more. Or you can drink one or two a
day at most, and enjoy it for weeks. Without any barf.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 1, 2005 4:22:06 AM

Thusly "Jackfish" <fishheadxxxcpy@no.uk.com> Spake Unto All:

>Your not the first person to compare it to Morrowind. Just with WoW you pay
>monthly to play alone :-)
>
>http://worldzero.com/reviews/WoW.html
>
>Glad I never got it. I'll look at it again in 18 months should be better by
>then.

Another interesting review at that site:
http://worldzero.com/reviews/Lineage2.html

Makes one wonder.

I have to admit I too find WoW graphics very poor.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 1, 2005 4:22:07 AM

Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in

> Thusly "Jackfish" <fishheadxxxcpy@no.uk.com> Spake Unto All:
>
>>Your not the first person to compare it to Morrowind. Just with WoW
>>you pay monthly to play alone :-)
>>
>>http://worldzero.com/reviews/WoW.html
>>
>>Glad I never got it. I'll look at it again in 18 months should be
>>better by then.
>
> Another interesting review at that site:
> http://worldzero.com/reviews/Lineage2.html

It's intersting to read bashing of WoW quest system in review on that
site. The reviewer goes on about limited number of types of quests, etc.
Then I check Lineage 2 review and there's not a single mention of
questing there, as though quests don't exist in Lineage 2. Instead, I
see a lot of blubber about neverending grind. Yet Lineage 2 gets a
higher score in gameplay. Say what?

Plenty of other similar "inconsistencies"

Yes, graphics quality in WoW is lower (note, artistry and style are not
low in WoW by any means), which results in smoother gameplay on a low-
spec computers. Besides, initial "wow!" (no pun) about graphics quality
wears off fast and then gameplay is what matters most. At least for us,
guys. Girls see it differently :)  Last night my female priest(ess)
character was told by another female character that the robe I had on
looked very nice. ?? I had it because of the nice +sta and +int, lol.
Had to get all my wits together to keep up a meaningful conversation
about tailoring and stuff...
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 1, 2005 7:44:04 AM

"Jackfish" <fishheadxxxcpy@no.uk.com> once tried to test me with:

> Your not the first person to compare it to Morrowind. Just with WoW
> you pay monthly to play alone :-)

Maybe not the first but it's totally unrepresentive of the game. Grouping
is where the fun is at, I can't imagine soloing all the time, boring. Sure,
it's nice that I *can* do it in the few times no one I know is online, but
even in those cases I could easily get groups.

Maybe you should play on a server with more people.

--

Knight37

a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 1, 2005 11:23:34 AM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:13:32 -0500, Grackle wrote:

> Like having 10 cases of beer in front of you. Sure
> you can down them all in two days, but then you'll barf, lie in bed bitching
> about how you hate beer, and barf some more. Or you can drink one or two a
> day at most, and enjoy it for weeks. Without any barf.

It really depends on the beer, now doesn't it? <g>
--
RJB
2/1/2005 8:23:19 AM

"The fireman is very magical. Rub his helmut and he spits in your eye."
--Eric Cartman (South Park)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 1, 2005 12:09:17 PM

RJB wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:13:32 -0500, Grackle wrote:
>
>> Like having 10 cases of beer in front of you. Sure
>> you can down them all in two days, but then you'll barf, lie in bed
>> bitching about how you hate beer, and barf some more. Or you can
>> drink one or two a day at most, and enjoy it for weeks. Without any
>> barf.
>
> It really depends on the beer, now doesn't it? <g>

Ooh, for some reason that brought up a flashback of an experience I had with
some "bad" Schlitz years ago. Ack!
--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 1, 2005 12:50:04 PM

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:09:17 -0500, chainbreaker wrote:

> RJB wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:13:32 -0500, Grackle wrote:
>>
>>> Like having 10 cases of beer in front of you. Sure
>>> you can down them all in two days, but then you'll barf, lie in bed
>>> bitching about how you hate beer, and barf some more. Or you can
>>> drink one or two a day at most, and enjoy it for weeks. Without any
>>> barf.
>>
>> It really depends on the beer, now doesn't it? <g>
>

> Ooh, for some reason that brought up a flashback of an experience I had with
> some "bad" Schlitz years ago. Ack!

Funny I'd never associated Schlitz with good! <g>
--
RJB
2/1/2005 9:49:46 AM

If it's green, it's biology, If it stinks, it's chemistry, If it has
numbers it's math, If it doesn't work, it's technology
--Unknown
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 1, 2005 1:10:19 PM

Spork wrote:
> I have a lvl 31 character and im still fighting murlocs and wolves just
> repackaged for a higher lvl. My favorite parts of the game so far have the
> the van cleef quest and stiches.
>
> All the quests follow the same cookie cutter build formula. kill 10x of a
> certain monster and return to town. Or take letter to npc x which you have
> no idea where he is.

You just mentioned above that you had enjoyed the vanCleef
quest - what cookie cutter did it come from? While it may
be true that there are many quests that are similar to others,
and many higher level monsters that look and act pretty much
like the ones you were fighting earlier, I'm not sure that
there's good justification for your "cookie cutter" wisecrack.
Presently my paladin is working on some deep sea salvage
operations, searching through shipwrecks for log books and
shipping manifests. I feel like Jacques Cousteau on steroids.

> finding npcs can be very frustrating and the channels
> are constantly spammed with quest questions.

People ask questions because asking leads to answers. At
least on my server most of the other players are helpful,
albeit with exceptions. They also ask because the game's
world is filled with complexity and hidden nuances - things
you'd never even notice unless some kind person pointed
them out to you.

> Then comes my issue with other players. Finding good people to group with or
> people on the same quest is very difficult.

That's a good reason to sign up with an active guild. You
build good working relationships. Only rarely does one just
fall in your lap.

> Just the other day a guy was
> getting swarmed and almost dead so I went over to help him out. If I hadnt
> helped he would of died. Afterwards he tells me to stop attacking what he is
> because there is plenty for everybody. There are so many tards playing this
> game its rediculous.

There are a lot of ALL kinds of people playing it. Take
yourself for example. You can't find good team groups, and
you say OTHER people are "tards"... I think I have a hunch
why they might not like to play with you.

> I could still be playing diablo 2 since release if they just added a new act
> every once and a while.

I liked Diablo2 myself - played a lot of it with several
different character classes. WoW is so much better than
that it's a disgrace to mention them in the same paragraph.

> After saying all this for those of you that have
> explored most of WoW is it worth all the time? im trying to resist logging
> on and just picking up guild wars when it comes out.

I haven't even scratched the surface of everything that's
out there, but at 37th level with a bright future ahead of
me, yeah I'd say it's worth it.

There was an 18th level elf in the auction house in Ironforge
this morning who was asking for 5 silver pieces (which he
could have earned himself in about 10 minutes). He kept
begging for several minutes. "can somebody plz give me 5sp
plzzzzzz!!!!" Finally somebody said "What I would like to
give you is a little dignity."

You can either stand there and beg, or you can walk out the
door into the world and be a hero. The choice is really up
to you, and the game's enjoyment is what you make of it.
THAT is what I like about WoW.

--
Nathan Engle Computer Support, IUB Psych Dept
nengle@indiana.edu http://mypage.iu.edu/~nengle

RJB wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:09:17 -0500, chainbreaker wrote:
>
>> RJB wrote:

>>> It really depends on the beer, now doesn't it? <g>
>>

>> Ooh, for some reason that brought up a flashback of an experience I
>> had with some "bad" Schlitz years ago. Ack!
>
> Funny I'd never associated Schlitz with good! <g>

Depended entirely on how much of something else you'd drunk first. :-)
--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 1, 2005 2:29:46 PM

RJB wrote:
> Funny I'd never associated Schlitz with good! <g>

A quick Schlitz anecdote I remembered--

One of the funniest things I've ever seen was a guy in the supermarket
checkout years ago who had nothing in his cart but 4 six-packs of Schlitz
and 12 rolls of toilet paper.

Now *that* has always been my hallmark of a devoted consumer!

--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 1, 2005 3:02:46 PM

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 11:29:46 -0500, chainbreaker wrote:

> RJB wrote:
>> Funny I'd never associated Schlitz with good! <g>
>
> A quick Schlitz anecdote I remembered--
>
> One of the funniest things I've ever seen was a guy in the supermarket
> checkout years ago who had nothing in his cart but 4 six-packs of Schlitz
> and 12 rolls of toilet paper.
>
> Now *that* has always been my hallmark of a devoted consumer!

And the makings of a wonderful weekend I bet!
--
RJB
2/1/2005 12:02:34 PM

Doh!
--Homer Simpson
February 1, 2005 3:03:03 PM

On 2005-01-31, Spork <asdf@ewr.com> wrote:

> At first every minute was exciting. After level 20 or so the scale slowly
> tipped to more frustration and work than fun. But there is so much addiction
> to get to that new level and upgrade your skills.

I felt the same.

> All the quests follow the same cookie cutter build formula. kill 10x of a
> certain monster and return to town. Or take letter to npc x which you have
> no idea where he is. finding npcs can be very frustrating and the channels
> are constantly spammed with quest questions.

Actually WoW quests are fairly good as far as MMOs go. That's not
saying much if you compare those quests to what you get out of
single player games.

> Then comes my issue with other players. Finding good people to group with or
> people on the same quest is very difficult. Just the other day a guy was
> getting swarmed and almost dead so I went over to help him out. If I hadnt
> helped he would of died. Afterwards he tells me to stop attacking what he is
> because there is plenty for everybody. There are so many tards playing this
> game its rediculous. the point of a mmorpg is to game with other people but
> to me they just blend into the rest of the environment.

High end content is geared toward guilds (raiding and
battlefields). I'd spend some time looking for a good
one. Personally I never liked the guild thing so I never joined
one.

> I would much prefer a sp rpg with somewhat of a story and designed for 1
> person.
> I really wish they did a better job on morrowind. it had the feel of a
> mmorpg but also the same problems. vast land filled with nothing and
> lifeless npcs' just like WoW.

In a couple of weeks we should see KOTOR 2 in stores for the
PC. It will be good.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 1, 2005 4:07:02 PM

"Spork" <asdf@ewr.com> wrote in message news:HhzLd.40117$IV5.29@attbi_s54...
> At first every minute was exciting. After level 20 or so the scale slowly
> tipped to more frustration and work than fun. But there is so much
addiction
> to get to that new level and upgrade your skills.

first off, get higher than level 31

secondly, you should try EQ2, you will hate that even more

Rabid shriller quest: they spawn in TWO places. one mob in each spot.

you have to kill 10, in a non instanced zone

you think you have frustrations in wow, you havent seen anything till you
see Sony's poor game design
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 1, 2005 4:34:28 PM

If you hit level 60 that fast of course your going to get burnt out. I
have a 44, 22 and 20 char. All different classes/races. Taking my time
and enjoying the game not power levelling to be uber.

"Jackfish" <fishheadxxxcpy@no.uk.com> writes:

> Seems to me this game is going to crash and burn hard this summer when
> everyone hits level 50-60 and there is nothing to do.
> For a game that is so fun people sure complain about it alot. The Blizzard
> forums are all complaints. All the high Lvl players got there in less than 3
> months now they are all bored silly.
> Your sick of it already. Quit your account and go get a GF get outside enjoy
> life :-)
>
> Your not the first person to compare it to Morrowind. Just with WoW you pay
> monthly to play alone :-)
>
> http://worldzero.com/reviews/WoW.html
>
> Glad I never got it. I'll look at it again in 18 months should be better by
> then.
>

> "Spork" <asdf@ewr.com> wrote in message news:HhzLd.40117$IV5.29@attbi_s54...
> > hello. I recently became addicted to WoW. out of a month I played for
> > nearly
> > a week straight. This was pretty much all my spare time for a month.
> >
> > At first every minute was exciting. After level 20 or so the scale slowly
> > tipped to more frustration and work than fun. But there is so much
> > addiction
> > to get to that new level and upgrade your skills.
> >
> > I have a lvl 31 character and im still fighting murlocs and wolves just
> > repackaged for a higher lvl. My favorite parts of the game so far have the
> > the van cleef quest and stiches.
> >
> > All the quests follow the same cookie cutter build formula. kill 10x of a
> > certain monster and return to town. Or take letter to npc x which you have
> > no idea where he is. finding npcs can be very frustrating and the channels
> > are constantly spammed with quest questions.
> >
> > Then comes my issue with other players. Finding good people to group with
> > or
> > people on the same quest is very difficult. Just the other day a guy was
> > getting swarmed and almost dead so I went over to help him out. If I hadnt
> > helped he would of died. Afterwards he tells me to stop attacking what he
> > is
> > because there is plenty for everybody. There are so many tards playing
> > this
> > game its rediculous. the point of a mmorpg is to game with other people
> > but
> > to me they just blend into the rest of the environment.
> >
> > I would much prefer a sp rpg with somewhat of a story and designed for 1
> > person.
> > I really wish they did a better job on morrowind. it had the feel of a
> > mmorpg but also the same problems. vast land filled with nothing and
> > lifeless npcs' just like WoW.
> >
> > I could still be playing diablo 2 since release if they just added a new
> > act
> > every once and a while. After saying all this for those of you that have
> > explored most of WoW is it worth all the time? im trying to resist logging
> > on and just picking up guild wars when it comes out.

--
Scott Streeter
ss@wpi.edu

Alexei Boukirev wrote:

> Yes, graphics quality in WoW is lower (note, artistry and style are not
> low in WoW by any means), which results in smoother gameplay on a low-
> spec computers. Besides, initial "wow!" (no pun) about graphics quality
> wears off fast and then gameplay is what matters most.

That is certainly true for me.

> At least for us,
> guys. Girls see it differently :)  Last night my female priest(ess)
> character was told by another female character that the robe I had on
> looked very nice. ?? I had it because of the nice +sta and +int, lol.
> Had to get all my wits together to keep up a meaningful conversation
> about tailoring and stuff...

"meaningful conversation about tailoring and stuff..."

You say funny things. :)

--

Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the future.

"Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 1, 2005 5:42:56 PM

Grackle wrote:
> "Jackfish" <fishheadxxxcpy@no.uk.com> wrote in message
>> Seems to me this game is going to crash and burn hard this summer when
>> everyone hits level 50-60 and there is nothing to do.
>> For a game that is so fun people sure complain about it alot. The Blizzard
>> forums are all complaints. All the high Lvl players got there in less than
>> 3 months now they are all bored silly.
>> Your sick of it already. Quit your account and go get a GF get outside
>> enjoy life :-)
>>
>> Your not the first person to compare it to Morrowind. Just with WoW you
>> pay monthly to play alone :-)
>>
>> http://worldzero.com/reviews/WoW.html
>>
>> Glad I never got it. I'll look at it again in 18 months should be better
>> by then.
>>

> That's the main problem -- overexposure. If you play the game in
> moderation, you don't skyrocket to level 60 in three months of gameplay, and
> it's more enjoyable. Like having 10 cases of beer in front of you. Sure
> you can down them all in two days, but then you'll barf, lie in bed bitching
> about how you hate beer, and barf some more. Or you can drink one or two a
> day at most, and enjoy it for weeks. Without any barf.

Or, having made yourself wretchedly ill on "Hunter S. NightElf" brand
beer, you spend a couple of days drinking Minesweeper Mineral Water at
which point you're ready to start demolishing another 10 cases of Sirian
Shaman Sweat. Hair of the dog and all that :)

--
Remove the mess to reply.
Anonymous

"Cataleptic" <cat.the.mess@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
> Grackle wrote:
>> "Jackfish" <fishheadxxxcpy@no.uk.com> wrote in message
>>> Seems to me this game is going to crash and burn hard this summer when
>>> everyone hits level 50-60 and there is nothing to do.
>>> For a game that is so fun people sure complain about it alot. The
>>> Blizzard forums are all complaints. All the high Lvl players got there
>>> in less than 3 months now they are all bored silly.
>>> Your sick of it already. Quit your account and go get a GF get outside
>>> enjoy life :-)
>>>
>>> Your not the first person to compare it to Morrowind. Just with WoW you
>>> pay monthly to play alone :-)
>>>
>>> http://worldzero.com/reviews/WoW.html
>>>
>>> Glad I never got it. I'll look at it again in 18 months should be better
>>> by then.
>>>

>> That's the main problem -- overexposure. If you play the game in
>> moderation, you don't skyrocket to level 60 in three months of gameplay,
>> and it's more enjoyable. Like having 10 cases of beer in front of you.
>> Sure you can down them all in two days, but then you'll barf, lie in bed
>> bitching about how you hate beer, and barf some more. Or you can drink
>> one or two a day at most, and enjoy it for weeks. Without any barf.
>
> Or, having made yourself wretchedly ill on "Hunter S. NightElf" brand
> beer, you spend a couple of days drinking Minesweeper Mineral Water at
> which point you're ready to start demolishing another 10 cases of Sirian
> Shaman Sweat. Hair of the dog and all that :)

Sure, you joke, but I was at one time addicted to minesweeper. I ain't
proud to admit it.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 1, 2005 8:50:34 PM

^^^ Its still running out of steam waaaay faster than other GOOD MMORPG's...

"Nathan Engle" <nengle@indiana.edu> wrote in message
> [...]
logging
> > on and just picking up guild wars when it comes out.
>
> I haven't even scratched the surface of everything that's
> out there, but at 37th level with a bright future ahead of
> me, yeah I'd say it's worth it.
>
> There was an 18th level elf in the auction house in Ironforge
> this morning who was asking for 5 silver pieces (which he
> could have earned himself in about 10 minutes). He kept
> begging for several minutes. "can somebody plz give me 5sp
> plzzzzzz!!!!" Finally somebody said "What I would like to
> give you is a little dignity."
>
> You can either stand there and beg, or you can walk out the
> door into the world and be a hero. The choice is really up
> to you, and the game's enjoyment is what you make of it.
> THAT is what I like about WoW.
>
> --
> Nathan Engle Computer Support, IUB Psych Dept

February 1, 2005 10:36:35 PM

Thus spake Alexei Boukirev <aboukirev@blah.ameritech.net>, Mon, 31 Jan 2005
21:17:42 -0600, Anno Domini:

>Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> Thusly "Jackfish" <fishheadxxxcpy@no.uk.com> Spake Unto All:
>>
>>>Your not the first person to compare it to Morrowind. Just with WoW
>>>you pay monthly to play alone :-)
>>>
>>>http://worldzero.com/reviews/WoW.html
>>>
>>>Glad I never got it. I'll look at it again in 18 months should be
>>>better by then.
>>
>> Another interesting review at that site:
>> http://worldzero.com/reviews/Lineage2.html
>>

>It's intersting to read bashing of WoW quest system in review on that
>site. The reviewer goes on about limited number of types of quests, etc.
>Then I check Lineage 2 review and there's not a single mention of
>questing there, as though quests don't exist in Lineage 2. Instead, I
>see a lot of blubber about neverending grind. Yet Lineage 2 gets a
>higher score in gameplay. Say what?
>
>Plenty of other similar "inconsistencies"
>
>Yes, graphics quality in WoW is lower (note, artistry and style are not
>low in WoW by any means), which results in smoother gameplay on a low-
>spec computers. Besides, initial "wow!" (no pun) about graphics quality
>wears off fast and then gameplay is what matters most. At least for us,
>guys. Girls see it differently :)  Last night my female priest(ess)
>character was told by another female character that the robe I had on
>looked very nice. ?? I had it because of the nice +sta and +int, lol.
>Had to get all my wits together to keep up a meaningful conversation
>about tailoring and stuff...

The site has *four* PC games on its review list in *total*. Nuff said?

(I don't play WoW, so not a fanboy one way or another - I just sift through
the drek I read here :)

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?

a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 1, 2005 11:47:05 PM

"shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message

> In a couple of weeks we should see KOTOR 2 in stores for the
> PC. It will be good.

Or bad.
February 2, 2005 2:43:32 AM

maybe I will give wow another try for a month or so and do in moderation as
everyone suggests. moderation can be difficult though.

I plan to take advantage of the exp bonus and only play on weekends or
something. I will play the xbox during the week with less time consuming
games.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 2, 2005 2:43:33 AM

> maybe I will give wow another try for a month or so and do in moderation
> as
> everyone suggests. moderation can be difficult though.
>
> I plan to take advantage of the exp bonus and only play on weekends or
> something. I will play the xbox during the week with less time consuming
> games.

This is one thing I really like about WoW -- the experience bonus when
logged off. I hope this is done in future mmorpgs.
February 2, 2005 6:12:07 AM

"Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote in message
> "Spork" <asdf@ewr.com> wrote in message
> > maybe I will give wow another try for a month or so and do in moderation
> > as
> > everyone suggests. moderation can be difficult though.
> >
> > I plan to take advantage of the exp bonus and only play on weekends or
> > something. I will play the xbox during the week with less time
consuming
> > games.
> >

> This is one thing I really like about WoW -- the experience bonus when
> logged off. I hope this is done in future mmorpgs.

> > maybe I will give wow another try for a month or so and do in moderation
> > as
> > everyone suggests. moderation can be difficult though.
> >
> > I plan to take advantage of the exp bonus and only play on weekends or
> > something. I will play the xbox during the week with less time
consuming
> > games.
> >

> This is one thing I really like about WoW -- the experience bonus when
> logged off. I hope this is done in future mmorpgs.

im 1 bar into level 31. im at southshore and ive finished most of the quests
geared toward my level. I will have to grind until im 32 so im just waiting
for that exp bar to move up.

I've noticed that you can consistently get quests then all the sudden you
have to grind until you get a few levels and are able to finsih some of the
harder ones.
February 2, 2005 7:35:07 AM

Grackle wrote:

> "Spork" <asdf@ewr.com> wrote in message
> > maybe I will give wow another try for a month or so and do in moderation
> > as
> > everyone suggests. moderation can be difficult though.
> >
> > I plan to take advantage of the exp bonus and only play on weekends or
> > something. I will play the xbox during the week with less time consuming
> > games.
> >

> This is one thing I really like about WoW -- the experience bonus when
> logged off. I hope this is done in future mmorpgs.

Experience bonus? Could you explain that to someone with no experience
of WoW?

--

Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the future.

"Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 2, 2005 7:35:08 AM

In article <420058A8.C2FF0870@ns.sympatico.ca>, RogerM
<rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Experience bonus? Could you explain that to someone with no experience
> of WoW?

When a character spends time in an inn or capital city (either while
logged on or logged off), it become rested. While rested, a character
will receive double the xp from all enemies killed. (Quest xp is
unchanged.) The rested state will last until a certain amount of bonus
xp has been awarded--the more time you spend in an inn or city, the
longer you will remain rested.

The rest bonus caps after a full week logged off, with about (I think)
one level's worth of xp.

- Damien
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 2, 2005 9:50:53 AM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:17:42 -0600, Alexei Boukirev wrote:

> ast night my female priest(ess)
> character was told by another female character that the robe I had on
> looked very nice. ?? I had it because of the nice +sta and +int, lol.

Hey, I do choose equipment partly because of the way it looks on my
character! I'm male, and heterosexual! ;)

M.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 2, 2005 10:04:43 AM

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 17:50:34 -0500, Paul2 wrote:

> ^^^ Its still running out of steam waaaay faster than other GOOD MMORPG's...

Does "good" necessarily equal "grind several years to get to the maximum
level"? WoW may be a faster ride, but frankly, I don't really want to spend
another five, nearly six, years with the same MMORPG as I did with Ultima
Online until I quit a couple of years ago. WoW so far has been an amazing
experience for me. If I burn out on it in six months, fine, so be it --
that doesn't lower the significance of the fact that I had fun from level 1
on, which is not common for MMORPGs. (And so far I'm only playing the
European beta, but it's identical to the US release.)

M.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 2, 2005 10:08:35 AM

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 23:43:32 GMT, Spork wrote:

> I plan to take advantage of the exp bonus and only play on weekends or
> something.

Personally, I'd not worry about the level or "maximizing xp gain". That
usually causes stress and frustration for me (in all games). I just play
for the "immaterial experience". For instance, last night I accompied a new
player from Auberdine to Stormwind, which took us nearly an hour since we
also did some sightseeing. XP gain? About 300 xp. But I had fun, and so did
he ... an hour well spent, even though it didn't advance my character.

M.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 2, 2005 11:34:17 AM

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 23:43:32 GMT, Spork wrote:

> maybe I will give wow another try for a month or so and do in moderation as
> everyone suggests. moderation can be difficult though.
>
> I plan to take advantage of the exp bonus and only play on weekends or
> something. I will play the xbox during the week with less time consuming
> games.

Always remember: The first step to facing your addiction is admitting you
have a problem! <g>
--
RJB
2/2/2005 8:33:52 AM

I support efforts to limit the terms of members of Congress, especially
members of the House and members of the Senate.
-Dan Quayle, Former Vice-President
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 2, 2005 12:41:27 PM

RogerM <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> writes:

> Experience bonus? Could you explain that to someone with no experience
> of WoW?

They call it the "rest time system", and basically means you get a
combat experience bonus period for not fighting for a while, either by
resting in a city or logging off.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 2, 2005 6:55:54 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:36:07 GMT, "Spork" <asdf@ewr.com> wrote:

>Or take letter to npc x which you have
>no idea where he is. finding npcs can be very frustrating and the channels
>are constantly spammed with quest questions.

Remove this guy from the genepool! Quickly! Before it becomes
polluted! (Or at least have mercy with us and take away his computer &
net access...)

To answer the question: Want to find an NPC related to a quest?

Simple. Highlight the quest in your log (reading is also recommened)
and watch your radar for a blip at the edge. THAT's the indicator
where the NPC is to be found! It shows even on the overhead map!

I figured this out *without* reading *any* manual, usenet post,
cheating website database, whatever...

-Arnulf
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 2, 2005 7:27:09 PM

Spork wrote:
> "Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote in message
>> "Spork" <asdf@ewr.com> wrote in message
>> > maybe I will give wow another try for a month or so and do in moderation
>> > as
>> > everyone suggests. moderation can be difficult though.
>> >
>> > I plan to take advantage of the exp bonus and only play on weekends or
>> > something. I will play the xbox during the week with less time
> consuming
>> > games.
>> >

>> This is one thing I really like about WoW -- the experience bonus when
>> logged off. I hope this is done in future mmorpgs.

Only if you stay in that area. At any given time there are 2 or 3 areas
you can 'work' for quests. IIRC, there are some quests for your level in
Arathi Highlands, and Desolace.

--
Remove the mess to reply.
Anonymous

Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote in news:cq9byuowwh32
$.uicvsxv0ny1v.dlg@40tude.net:

>On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:17:42 -0600, Alexei Boukirev wrote:
>
>> ast night my female priest(ess)
>> character was told by another female character that the robe I had on
>> looked very nice. ?? I had it because of the nice +sta and +int, lol.
>
> Hey, I do choose equipment partly because of the way it looks on my
> character! I'm male, and heterosexual! ;)

I'm not totally discarding the looks either: some/most head gear looks
utterly ridiculous on a Tauren :)  But oftentimes I'm willing to wear it
just because it's extra armor. Just turn off helmet display in interface
settings.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 2, 2005 11:27:47 PM

"Damien Neil" <neild-usenet@misago.org> wrote in message
> In article <420058A8.C2FF0870@ns.sympatico.ca>, RogerM
> <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> Experience bonus? Could you explain that to someone with no experience
>> of WoW?
>
> When a character spends time in an inn or capital city (either while
> logged on or logged off), it become rested. While rested, a character
> will receive double the xp from all enemies killed. (Quest xp is
> unchanged.) The rested state will last until a certain amount of bonus
> xp has been awarded--the more time you spend in an inn or city, the
> longer you will remain rested.
>
> The rest bonus caps after a full week logged off, with about (I think)
> one level's worth of xp.
>
> - Damien

This is a great equalizer for normal humans who spend more time in the real
world.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 3, 2005 3:18:54 AM

"Arnulf Guenther Jr." <arnulfg@gmx.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:36:07 GMT, "Spork" <asdf@ewr.com> wrote:
>
> >Or take letter to npc x which you have
> >no idea where he is. finding npcs can be very frustrating and the
channels
> >are constantly spammed with quest questions.
>

> Remove this guy from the genepool! Quickly! Before it becomes
> polluted! (Or at least have mercy with us and take away his computer &
> net access...)
>
> To answer the question: Want to find an NPC related to a quest?
>
> Simple. Highlight the quest in your log (reading is also recommened)
> and watch your radar for a blip at the edge. THAT's the indicator
> where the NPC is to be found! It shows even on the overhead map!
>
> I figured this out *without* reading *any* manual, usenet post,
> cheating website database, whatever...
>
> -Arnulf

*golf clap*
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 3, 2005 2:23:48 PM

Damien Neil wrote:
> The rest bonus caps after a full week logged off, with about
> (I think)one level's worth of xp.

A game that rewards you for not playing it.

Hilarious.

-st
February 3, 2005 5:27:12 PM

On 2005-02-03, Grackle <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote:
> "Damien Neil" <neild-usenet@misago.org> wrote in message
>> In article <420058A8.C2FF0870@ns.sympatico.ca>, RogerM
>> <rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>> Experience bonus? Could you explain that to someone with no experience
>>> of WoW?
>>
>> When a character spends time in an inn or capital city (either while
>> logged on or logged off), it become rested. While rested, a character
>> will receive double the xp from all enemies killed. (Quest xp is
>> unchanged.) The rested state will last until a certain amount of bonus
>> xp has been awarded--the more time you spend in an inn or city, the
>> longer you will remain rested.
>>
>> The rest bonus caps after a full week logged off, with about (I think)
>> one level's worth of xp.
>>
>> - Damien
>
> This is a great equalizer for normal humans who spend more time in the real
> world.

It only lasts one or two big kills even at full 200%. At least at
launch it did. Did they change it so its more meaningful?
February 3, 2005 5:56:10 PM

> It only lasts one or two big kills even at full 200%. At least at
> launch it did. Did they change it so its more meaningful?

my 200% bonus is almost up to a full level now
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 3, 2005 7:41:18 PM

In article <slrnd04d6j.9ca.shadows@helena.whitefang.com>, shadows
<shadows@whitefang.com> wrote:
> >> The rest bonus caps after a full week logged off, with about (I think)
> >> one level's worth of xp.
>
> It only lasts one or two big kills even at full 200%. At least at
> launch it did. Did they change it so its more meaningful?

It takes rather more than one or two big kills to advance a level, once
you're past the very low levels.

- Damien
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 4, 2005 2:40:01 AM

> On 2005-02-03, Grackle <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote:
>> "Damien Neil" <neild-usenet@misago.org> wrote in message
>>>
>>> When a character spends time in an inn or capital city (either while
>>> logged on or logged off), it become rested. While rested, a character
>>> will receive double the xp from all enemies killed. (Quest xp is
>>> unchanged.) The rested state will last until a certain amount of bonus
>>> xp has been awarded--the more time you spend in an inn or city, the
>>> longer you will remain rested.
>>>
>>> The rest bonus caps after a full week logged off, with about (I think)
>>> one level's worth of xp.
>>>
>>> - Damien
>>
>> This is a great equalizer for normal humans who spend more time in the
>> real
>> world.
>
> It only lasts one or two big kills even at full 200%. At least at
> launch it did. Did they change it so its more meaningful?

Not playing for about 3 days I returned to half a level of bonus, which is
over 10000 xp for me. Not exactly meaningless!
February 4, 2005 4:21:47 AM

"Steve T" <joe_fatties_boo@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1107458628.186985.202310
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Damien Neil wrote:
>> The rest bonus caps after a full week logged off, with about
>> (I think)one level's worth of xp.
>

> A game that rewards you for not playing it.
>
> Hilarious.
>
> -st

Your character gains experience while Blizzard gets a monthly fee. Meanwhile it reduces
server load, making it more enjoyable for the players who don't take advantage of this
unique offer. Sounds like a winner to me!
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 4, 2005 4:53:57 AM

In article <Xns95F2BAD0C4683anonnotrealaddycom@216.168.3.44>, Alan
<anonymous@notrealaddy.com> wrote:
> "Steve T" <joe_fatties_boo@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1107458628.186985.202310
> > A game that rewards you for not playing it.
> >
> > Hilarious.
>
> Your character gains experience while Blizzard gets a monthly fee. Meanwhile
> it reduces
> server load, making it more enjoyable for the players who don't take
> advantage of this
> unique offer. Sounds like a winner to me!

Another way to think of it is that you get a certain amount of bonus xp
for free every week, but you need to play in order to receive it. If
you don't play enough to level once per week, your rest bonus will cap
out. If you play enough that the bonus never caps out, you'll get
roughly the same amount of bonus xp as anyone else

- Damien
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 4, 2005 12:16:47 PM

"Steve T" <joe_fatties_boo@hotmail.com> writes:

> A game that rewards you for not playing it.
>
> Hilarious.

No, it makes perfect economical sense: Active players represent a
(bandwidth) cost, the company get the monthly fee no matter how much
you play.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 4, 2005 1:45:42 PM

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen wrote:
> "Steve T" <joe_fatties_boo@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > A game that rewards you for not playing it.
> >
> > Hilarious.
>
> No, it makes perfect economical sense

Yeah, that's obvious. It's the continued obsession with
these lousy games that's hilarious.
-st
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 4, 2005 6:10:33 PM

Steve T wrote:
> Yeah, that's obvious. It's the continued obsession with
> these lousy games that's hilarious.

Perhaps. There's an old song by Steely Dan with a line that
goes:

"Any world that I'm welcome to,
Is better than the one I come from..."

I feel like I understand why people like these games, and
personally I don't find it funny. It may not be the route
that people might choose when, in real life, they can be
tall and handsome and successful, and in a way that's sort
of sad. Yet I still believe that it's valuable when there's
SOME place a person can go to feel noble or generous or
heroic. It's what I call an "empowering fantasy". Not
to mention the fact that the first prerequisite of empathy
is the ability to imagine yourself in someone else's shoes.

--
Nathan Engle Computer Support, IUB Psych Dept
nengle@indiana.edu http://mypage.iu.edu/~nengle
"Some Assembly Required"
February 4, 2005 11:23:42 PM

Nathan Engle wrote:

> Steve T wrote:
> > Yeah, that's obvious. It's the continued obsession with
> > these lousy games that's hilarious.
>
> Perhaps. There's an old song by Steely Dan with a line that
> goes:
>
> "Any world that I'm welcome to,
> Is better than the one I come from..."
>
> I feel like I understand why people like these games, and
> personally I don't find it funny. It may not be the route
> that people might choose when, in real life, they can be
> tall and handsome and successful, and in a way that's sort
> of sad. Yet I still believe that it's valuable when there's
> SOME place a person can go to feel noble or generous or
> heroic. It's what I call an "empowering fantasy". Not
> to mention the fact that the first prerequisite of empathy
> is the ability to imagine yourself in someone else's shoes.

Very well put, Sir.

--

Personal ambition is for people who can't see 100 years into the future.

"Some of us prefer illusion to despair." - Nelson Muntz
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 4, 2005 11:23:43 PM

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 20:23:42 GMT, RogerM
<rodger.mckay@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>> I feel like I understand why people like these games, and
>> personally I don't find it funny. It may not be the route
>> that people might choose when, in real life, they can be
>> tall and handsome and successful, and in a way that's sort
>> of sad. Yet I still believe that it's valuable when there's
>> SOME place a person can go to feel noble or generous or
>> heroic. It's what I call an "empowering fantasy". Not
>> to mention the fact that the first prerequisite of empathy
>> is the ability to imagine yourself in someone else's shoes.
>>

>Very well put, Sir.

Yeah right. He has a very polite way of insulting people if that is
what you mean by 'well put'.
February 4, 2005 11:36:28 PM

On 2005-02-04, Nathan Engle <nengle@indiana.edu> wrote:

> I feel like I understand why people like these games, and
> personally I don't find it funny. It may not be the route
> that people might choose when, in real life, they can be
> tall and handsome and successful, and in a way that's sort
> of sad. Yet I still believe that it's valuable when there's
> SOME place a person can go to feel noble or generous or
> heroic. It's what I call an "empowering fantasy". Not
> to mention the fact that the first prerequisite of empathy
> is the ability to imagine yourself in someone else's shoes.

Maybe some people just find it fun to do PvP online with their
friends?

Do we *have* to be pathetic to play games? Why can't the same be
said about people who play golf or basketball?
!