So I have this router, and I need a USB wireless adapter...

ianko66

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127079

I know it's an old router, so getting an adapter that would perform the best with my internet connection shouldn't be difficult.
Now I don't know much about the subject, so I'm not quite sure what's compatible with it or not.
Any suggestions (possibly a link to newegg or something)?

Edit:
Actually, say I did have a more up to date router, what would you suggest then as well?
Also, it'll just be used for home internet use.

Solution
That will work fine, but it does not have quite the same range because it lacks a big external antenna. If your signal is good at the intended location that will do the job. Any G or N adapter will be compatible, as N is backward compatible to G.

RealBeast

Titan
That will work fine, but it does not have quite the same range because it lacks a big external antenna. If your signal is good at the intended location that will do the job. Any G or N adapter will be compatible, as N is backward compatible to G.

Solution

dbhosttexas

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Just as another suggestion. I am using the Asus USB-N13 WiFi usb dongle on my Windows 7 / CentOS 6.3 dual boot box. Direct plug in, good speed, works fine on both G and N networks although I rarely connect to G...

The 802.11AC standard is still being ironed out, MFGs are putting out stuff to the draft, I suspect they may update firmware to make them compatible with the final once released... However the stuff is top end, and pretty spendy, and very little is out there for adapters etc... Unless you have performance problems such as video streaming on G (that is painful by comparison to N) or range issues, stay put on G until the AC standard is finalized and prices on the routers start coming down...

ianko66

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012

Actually, what do you think about this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320089

I was just looking for something pretty basic (cheap), but given the sales bring it down to $18, would it be worth it to get it with the thought of using it now and down the road with a better router. And if I'm not wrong, this will work with my router, right?

dbhosttexas

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
It's a b/g/n adapter. Your router complies with 802.11b and 802.11g, so yes it will work with your router.

Prices fluctuate, presently the adapter you linked is at $37.99, I am guessing you want lower cost. However I do have a similar Asus adapter, just N300 not N600 (no simultaneous dual band) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UVNW5W/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00 and it works great under both Windows 7 and CentOS 6.3. I paid about $20.00 for it, setup was nice and easy. It would be nice to have the simultaneous dual band, but for what I do with that particular host (Facebook games, net surfing, ssh connections) I don't need that much speed.

TRENDING THREADS