Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Internet Explorer
  • Drivers
  • Components
Last response: in Components
January 15, 2003 10:03:50 AM

Subject: CMedia on A7A266

I have the A7A266 that has onboard sound. I upgraded the driver and now I get a crackling noises in games other audio is flawless ie CD's etc. The driver I used is the cm-18738 which is supposed to be correct for this board. I can reduce the interfference by turning the Harware Acceleration down. Has anyone else had this problem? It worked fine before the upgrade, may go back to the original driver if I can find it....

If it ain't broke don't fix it

More about : cmedia drivers

January 23, 2003 2:59:22 AM

Make sure you have the latest drivers for the C-media 8738 from the Windows Update Catalog (latest ones are 6.43). If you are using Windows 98/SE/Me, make sure you have the VXD drivers installed and not the WDM ones.

Cheers
January 23, 2003 9:15:44 PM

Thanks for the reply. However I cant seem to locate the drivers on the Windows web site. I did download drivers from from another web site they are as follows (when looking at properties for audio) CMI8738/C3DX PCI. Ah they appear to be WDM drivers now down Loading another, although they appear to be 1096 drivers.

Related resources
January 24, 2003 8:09:30 AM

You didn't mention what Windows version your using... the 1096 drivers are VXD ones, for Windows 98/SE/Me. The WDM ones (6.42 and 6.43) are for 98SE/Me/2K/XP.

To download the drivers from Windows Update, you need to look at the Windows Update Catalog.

This is how to get to the driver catalog...

1. Go to the Windows Update web site.
2. In the left pane, under Other Options, select 'Personalize Windows Update'.
3. Under 'Set Options for Windows Update', select the checkbox for 'Display the Link to Windows Update Catalog under 'See Also'', then click 'Save Settings'.
4. Go back to the Windows Update web site.
5. In the left pane, under 'See Also', select 'Windows Update Catalog'.
6. Select 'Find Driver Update for hardware devices".
7. Select "Sound" and then select "C-media"
8. Select the operating system (If you have Win 98SE, put Win ME in as the OS, as Win 98 only goes upto the 6.36 drivers for some reason)
9. Select all of the patches/drivers you'd like to download, then click on 'Go to download basket' to download them.

Cheers
January 25, 2003 12:24:22 AM

Hey Holden thanks a million that was just exactly the trick. I now have the sound restored to the way it was working great!! by the way the Operating system is Windows 98SE. I was never able to locate the correct drivers the 1098 ones did the trick the others, after much trial and error pretty much produced the same results thanks again.

And Cheers!!

!