Charleslee

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Please help me.....What is use of key1, key2, key3 and key 4 in WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy)? and when i have to use those keys?

The security key is for when you want to connect one of your devices to the wireless network that you have in your home. It also prevents someone outside from connecting to your network if they are within range unless they have your security key. You would only need to make the one key. If you do make the security key make sure that you write it down and keep it in a safe place.

Charleslee

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks for reply... Please clarify one more doubt...

If i enable the wep mode as 64 bit, i sended 8 character and while doing the XOR operation it will take first 32 bit or entire character from the data and how much size of ICV it will append with data.....

A 64bit WEP key will require you to enter a 26 character key - the 32 bit you already have needs only the first 8, that is Key No. 1. The other keys can be used if required to allow other computers into the system but few people bother.

The important thing to note here is that WEP is not strong enough to keep a casual hacker out of the wireless network. The average teenager with a vague knowledge of |Linux can hack it and you could have fun explaining it wasn't you who downloaded that pirate music your teenage neighbour took off the net.