ProdigySim

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2002
I'm having a little dilemma with Hard Drives, and I need some help. Here's the story:

I started out with three HDDs in my computer- A 4GB drive (For Windows), a 10GB drive (For Programs and Games), and a 40GB drive (For Movies, music, etc.). I bought a new 80GB drive, and the plan was to put the contents of the 40GB drive (About 30Gigs of Media) onto the 80GB drive, and the contents of the 10GB onto the 40GB drive, and install Windows XP Home (Had 2000, Pro had problems) onto the 40GB.
So, I hooked up the new 80GB drive to my dad's computer (No IDE space in my computer) and formatted it to NTFS. Then, over the Network, I took al the files from my 40GB drive, and put them on the 80GB drive. Then (just for the sake of having a clean slate) I reformatted my 40GB to NTFS. Then, I copied the contents of the 10GB to the 40GB drive.
I turned off the computers and removed the hard drives, putting back only the 40GB and the 80GB. I installed Windows XP Home on the 40GB drive, but as I did, I noticed that it did not recognize my 80GB drive as being formatted. It saw that it was there, but it couldn't tell how much space it had on it. I went ahead and installed Windows XP anyway, and used Windows Update like mad, but then I noticed the abscence of the 80GB drive in the "My Computer" window. I checked our the Disk management, and it said the 80GB drive was a Dynamic Disk, and therefore, forerign! I turned off my computer, removed the 80GB drive, and placed it in my dad's computer again (the one with WinXP Pro) to see if it worked there. Of course, it did, but I still need to get it working on my computer. I think reformatting it on my computer would work, but I neeed to do something with all the data. The 40GB drive doesn't have enough space left to hold everything the 80GB drive has on it, and my dad's computer wouldn't even have a chance at holding all of it. There are two other computers in the house I haven't mentioned yet, neither of which could hold all the data, but I could scatter the data to different computers and put it all back after reformatting. I would like to avoid scattering all my files like that, but if I have to, I will.

I was just wondering is there was any way I could get it working on my computer without formatting or instaling Windows XP Pro.
Please help me!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Shhhhh. We are thinking hard. When we have the answer, we will let you know.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>

nausicaa

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2003
i would recommend partitioning the 80G drive. place a 15G partition at the beginning for your operating system and installed programs/games (15G should be sufficient, but you can change this). that way you will have a 65G partition for media/storage. i believe it is better to have the os on the newer faster drive which should be the master. that way you can use the 40G for media/storage as a slave. i prefer partition magic which is simple, straight forward, and safe, but there are other programs.
hope this helps

nausicaa

"to start press any key..."
where's the ANY key?