Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Transparent preamp

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 2:13:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hi, i'm searching for a new preamp for my studio to buy new. I'm searching a
double channel one possibly with eq. no valve, transformerless, it has to be
the most trasparent on the market. the best would be if there is one with an
a/d converter with s/pdif out... i know dbx makes something like this, but i
want the best, like the new summit with midi control or similar.

i looked to the focusrite liquidchannel but i have fear of it... i think it
can't be so good...
The summit with an apogee converter would be the best for me, only i'd
prefer not to spend 6000 $ for 2 channels...

Giuseppe

More about : transparent preamp

Anonymous
December 30, 2004 2:13:57 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

DeIMoS <gimoraz@tin.it> wrote:
>Hi, i'm searching for a new preamp for my studio to buy new. I'm searching a
>double channel one possibly with eq. no valve, transformerless, it has to be
>the most trasparent on the market. the best would be if there is one with an
>a/d converter with s/pdif out... i know dbx makes something like this, but i
>want the best, like the new summit with midi control or similar.

The Millennia Media HV-3 might be the first one I would recommend.

The Great River is actually surprisingly transparent, given that it has
a transformer input stage. It comes actually quite close to the HV-3.

FM Acoustics also makes a well-regarded unit.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 2:13:57 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

DeIMoS wrote:
> Hi, i'm searching for a new preamp for my studio to buy new. I'm
searching a
> double channel one possibly with eq. no valve, transformerless, it
has to be
> the most trasparent on the market. the best would be if there is one
with an
> a/d converter with s/pdif out... i know dbx makes something like
this, but i
> want the best, like the new summit with midi control or similar.
>
The GML pres are very transparent. As far as something with onboard
A/D conversion, the Aphex 1100 might fit the bill, but I have not heard
it.

> i looked to the focusrite liquidchannel but i have fear of it... i
think it
> can't be so good...
> The summit with an apogee converter would be the best for me, only
i'd
> prefer not to spend 6000 $ for 2 channels...
>
> Giuseppe
Related resources
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 2:13:57 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

DeIMoS wrote:
> Hi, i'm searching for a new preamp for my studio to buy new. I'm searching a
> double channel one possibly with eq. no valve, transformerless, it has to be
> the most trasparent on the market.

In addition to the other fine preamps recommended above, you might check out the Gordon Model Five

<http://gordonaudio.com/&gt;
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 2:13:57 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Millennia Media, Forssell, GML
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 4:09:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <UpRAd.346110$b5.16995105@news3.tin.it> gimoraz@tin.it writes:

> Hi, i'm searching for a new preamp for my studio to buy new. I'm searching a
> double channel one possibly with eq. no valve, transformerless, it has to be
> the most trasparent on the market. the best would be if there is one with an
> a/d converter with s/pdif out...

Check out Millenia Media. Their preamp is one of the most transparent
in the business (known for "no color") and they were looking at
offering a digital output option (or maybe a new model with A/D
converter) but I'm not sure it's available yet.

You might also look at the Apogee Trak 2.

> prefer not to spend 6000 $ for 2 channels...

You probably don't have to spend $6,000, but 1/2 of that shouldn't be
out of the question if you want top quality. 1/10 of that will get you
the description you're looking for. <g>



--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 8:31:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"DeIMoS" <gimoraz@tin.it> wrote in message
news:UpRAd.346110$b5.16995105@news3.tin.it...
> Hi, i'm searching for a new preamp for my studio to buy new. I'm searching
a
> double channel one possibly with eq. no valve, transformerless, it has to
be
> the most trasparent on the market. the best would be if there is one with
an
> a/d converter with s/pdif out... i know dbx makes something like this, but
i
> want the best, like the new summit with midi control or similar.
>
> i looked to the focusrite liquidchannel but i have fear of it... i think
it
> can't be so good...
> The summit with an apogee converter would be the best for me, only i'd
> prefer not to spend 6000 $ for 2 channels...

Check out the preamps from Millennia Media.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 11:00:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

DeIMoS wrote:

> Hi, i'm searching for a new preamp for my studio to buy new. I'm searching a
> double channel one possibly with eq. no valve, transformerless, it has to be
> the most trasparent on the market.

Grant Carpenter's Gordon preamp is the most transparent mic pre I have
ever heard.

http://www.gordonaudio.com/

--
ha
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 2:06:47 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"DeIMoS"
>
> Hi, i'm searching for a new preamp for my studio to buy new. I'm searching
> a
> double channel one possibly with eq. no valve, transformerless, it has to
> be
> the most trasparent on the market. the best would be if there is one with
> an
> a/d converter with s/pdif out... i know dbx makes something like this, but
> i
> want the best, like the new summit with midi control or similar.
>
> i looked to the focusrite liquidchannel but i have fear of it... i think
> it
> can't be so good...
> The summit with an apogee converter would be the best for me, only i'd
> prefer not to spend 6000 $ for 2 channels...
>
> Giuseppe
>


** Better go for one built inside in a clear glass bottle......





............... Phil
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 4:24:36 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"DeIMoS" <gimoraz@tin.it> writes:

>Hi, i'm searching for a new preamp for my studio to buy new. I'm searching a
>double channel one possibly with eq. no valve, transformerless, it has to be
>the most trasparent on the market. the best would be if there is one with an
>a/d converter with s/pdif out... i know dbx makes something like this, but i
>want the best, like the new summit with midi control or similar.

Grace Design 201 (2 chan) or 801 (8 chan), analog in/out

Grace V3 pre has A/D built in.

You've heard the expression "wire with gain"? These pres are so
transparent I call them "air with gain". They are amazing, and considering
the design and build quality, not so bad prices, either.

However, don't buy them if you want any coloration or other "tinting".
These won't do that.

Frank
Mobile Audio

--
.
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 1:59:45 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:56:26 -0500, Haolemon wrote
(in article <1104425786.094757.189960@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>):

>
> DeIMoS wrote:
>> Hi, i'm searching for a new preamp for my studio to buy new. I'm
> searching a
>> double channel one possibly with eq. no valve, transformerless, it
> has to be
>> the most trasparent on the market. the best would be if there is one
> with an
>> a/d converter with s/pdif out... i know dbx makes something like
> this, but i
>> want the best, like the new summit with midi control or similar.
>>
> The GML pres are very transparent. As far as something with onboard
> A/D conversion, the Aphex 1100 might fit the bill, but I have not heard
> it.
>
>> i looked to the focusrite liquidchannel but i have fear of it... i
> think it
>> can't be so good...
>> The summit with an apogee converter would be the best for me, only
> i'd
>> prefer not to spend 6000 $ for 2 channels...
>>
>> Giuseppe

The GML is extremely transparent. I have 5. I have an Aphex 1100 2 ch with
A/D, it's a little brighter than the GML, but is an extremely well designed
and implemented preamp. That STT-1 Millennia is also doin' it for me.

SMiles,

Ty Ford



-- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other audiocentric
stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 1:01:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Ty, if you mean 5 channels, how did you do that??? I have the four
channel, and I know they make a two channel, but I'm not aware of any
model with a single or odd number of channels.
Inquiring minds want to know. :) 
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 12:47:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

DeIMoS wrote:
> Hi, i'm searching for a new preamp for my studio to buy new. I'm
searching a
> double channel one possibly with eq. no valve, transformerless, it
has to be
> the most trasparent on the market. the best would be if there is one
with an
> a/d converter with s/pdif out... i know dbx makes something like
this, but i
> want the best, like the new summit with midi control or similar.
>
> i looked to the focusrite liquidchannel but i have fear of it... i
think it
> can't be so good...
> The summit with an apogee converter would be the best for me, only
i'd
> prefer not to spend 6000 $ for 2 channels...
>
> Giuseppe

A softball gratutious plug for the Audio Upgrades High Speed Mic
Preamp.
..0002% CCIF IMD, -90 db CMRR, 400 v/us slew rate, 70 mhz bandwidth,
-135 db E.I.N. and it also sounds pretty good too. Premium MIT and
InFinicaps used throughout, Direct coupled, balanced current feedback
design. $1500.
Hint; don't buy mic pre's with clocks inside unless you want the
clocking all over your mic's signal. Leave the high end converters to
another box.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
6982 Mimosa Drive
Carlsbad, CA 92009
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 12:55:49 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<Mike Rivers wrote
<Check out Millenia Media. Their preamp is one of the most transparent
in the business (known for "no color") and they were looking at
offering a digital output option (or maybe a new model with A/D
converter) but I'm not sure it's available yet.>

They had been making HV3 micpre pairs with Apogee 20 bit converters
built-in, they were called HV3C's. And as a good 20 bit sounds better
than a crummy 24 bit converter, they are still pretty useful, they also
have two levels of UV22 dithering available,adat/Spdif/aes outs, word
clock outs for slaving other devices to them, an oscillator, and the
HV3 "High Gain" stepped gain option comes standard on them as well.

Anyway if you are interested I have 3 pairs of them, but am
considering selling them and getting an 8 channel Millenia HV3 unit
instead. <g>

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio/Fox News
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 3:22:57 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

>
>On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:56:26 -0500, Haolemon wrote
>(in article <1104425786.094757.189960@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>):
>
>>
>> DeIMoS wrote:
>>> Hi, i'm searching for a new preamp for my studio to buy new. I'm
>> searching a
>>> double channel one possibly with eq. no valve, transformerless, it
>> has to be
>>> the most trasparent on the market. the best would be if there is one
>> with an
>>> a/d converter with s/pdif out... i know dbx makes something like
>> this, but i
>>> want the best, like the new summit with midi control or similar.
>>>
>> The GML pres are very transparent. As far as something with onboard
>> A/D conversion, the Aphex 1100 might fit the bill, but I have not heard
>> it.
>>
>>> i looked to the focusrite liquidchannel but i have fear of it... i
>> think it
>>> can't be so good...
>>> The summit with an apogee converter would be the best for me, only
>> i'd
>>> prefer not to spend 6000 $ for 2 channels...
>>>
>>> Giuseppe
>
> The GML is extremely transparent. I have 5. I have an Aphex 1100 2 ch with
>A/D, it's a little brighter than the GML, but is an extremely well designed
>and implemented preamp. That STT-1 Millennia is also doin' it for me.
>
>SMiles,
>
>Ty Ford
>
>
>
>-- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other audiocentric
>stuff are at www.tyford.com
>
>

Transparent?

My Millenia is very transparent, almost to the point of sterility. A box that
equates to a piece of wire with gain.Works very well with the correct
microphones and the headroom is beyond belief due to the +- 24V rails.


Richard H. Kuschel
"I canna change the law of physics."-----Scotty
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 7:39:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 09 Jan 2005 12:22:57 GMT, rickpv8945@aol.com (Richard Kuschel)
wrote:

>My Millenia is very transparent, almost to the point of sterility. A box that
>equates to a piece of wire with gain.Works very well with the correct
>microphones and the headroom

Agreed. I have several pres but the Millennia is uncanny in sounding
exactly like the source. This is sometimes exactly what you want, but
sometimes not. I'd say I use my Neves more often.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 2:39:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I'll second this..



Frank Stearns wrote:
> "DeIMoS" <gimoraz@tin.it> writes:
>
> >Hi, i'm searching for a new preamp for my studio to buy new. I'm
searching a
> >double channel one possibly with eq. no valve, transformerless, it
has to be
> >the most trasparent on the market. the best would be if there is one
with an
> >a/d converter with s/pdif out... i know dbx makes something like
this, but i
> >want the best, like the new summit with midi control or similar.
>
> Grace Design 201 (2 chan) or 801 (8 chan), analog in/out
>
> Grace V3 pre has A/D built in.
>
> You've heard the expression "wire with gain"? These pres are so
> transparent I call them "air with gain". They are amazing, and
considering
> the design and build quality, not so bad prices, either.
>
> However, don't buy them if you want any coloration or other
"tinting".
> These won't do that.
>
> Frank
> Mobile Audio
>
> --
> .
!