Is USB wifi adapter going to save me? which one?

marek505

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
So I just got my new PC but conservative as i was, I got m-atx mobo thinking i don't need bigger. Now I don't have PCI slot for my WiFi card (didn't think of it AT ALL).

So I got this cheap D-link DWA-125 USB adapter as the only choice from the shop I could get right away. My PCI one was like 5 years old and worked wonders - even the cheapest USB adapter of today's world should be at least as good. Well...this adapter works for a minute or so at good speeds but then drops so low, not even a single page can be loaded (and i'm being disconnected from every possible connection, ex. skype) for about 3 minutes.
BTW, it works without issues with 5 bar WiFi from my phone hotspot. My regular WiFi shows as 3-4 bars (I think it was the same with PCI one).

My question is, am i screwed or is the dwa-125 actually crap when it comes to lower than maximum signal. I looked around and it seems TP-Link adapters such as TL-WN722N or TL-WN821N are recommended in general. But these are almost the same price as the D-Link one, making me think this time before buying.

My goal is to be able to play online games as i were before.

I wouldn't mind paying twice the price of these adapters (if they ment improvement in signal/stability rather than higher speeds and newer standards that i do not benefit from) either.

As a refrence point, my working PCI adapter was Buffalo WLI2-PCI-G54S

Thanks

marek505

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
wow, changing channel actually helped oO Why is that? Adapter being faulty with some frequencies (i have no other wifis in range that could interfere)?
Well thanks a lot

But now it's dropping like 1-3 times a minute for a second...really bad idea in games