New ASUS router - WPA2 connection problem with Samsung printer

PeteS457

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2005
Hi all:

I bought the ASUS RT-AC66R router last week - nice router. However, I am having one issue I'm having difficulty resolving. Hopefully, someone here may have some ideas.

I bought the router when my previous Linksys WRT310N router died. The router handles multiple connections - mostly wired through hubs - throughout the house. There are a few wireless connections also - smartphone, notebook computers, and a Samsung CLX-3175FW printer. When I setup my home wifi previously with the Linksys using WPA2-PSK security, everything worked and connected well. When I bought the RT-AC66R router last week, I set it up with the same credentials - WPA2 Personal security (AES), with the same SSID and same password as before. Everything connects as before - except the Samsung printer. I have determined that the problem lies with the security key. If I enable the router's guest network with no security, it connects right away. If I remove the WPA2 security from the main personal home network, it connects right away. However, if I enable the network with WPA2/AES security, the printer will not connect. I have re-entered the SSID and WPA2/AES password in the printer, but it still will not connect.

Does anyone have any ideas why my printer will not connect through the secured network when all my
other devices have no problem connecting (and previously connected fine to my Linksys with the same credentials)? Thanks for any ideas.

You can go into the router and make sure that the printers mac address is listed on the accepted devices page and if not enter it in manually. You can also try a different channel and even a different band if you have dual band. Without knowing specificaly what steps you have taken I can only guess , I know that my printer has a small led screen on it and you can enter settings through it for the network setup and at one point when I changed routers I had to enter the network password and then the screen also gave a pass code for the router. Yours may be different but if you have the screen and the options to connect by that screen you can try that along with the reinstall by the printers cd. Printers are notorious for being the hardest to get connected.

PeteS457

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2005

Thanks for your response. Sadly, I think I have already addressed most of your suggestions without success.

1. As I previously stated, when I remove the security from the router and made it open, the printer quickly connects. If the MAC address of the printer was not accepted by the router, I would think it would reject the printer in all cases, whether the network was secured or not.

2. My printer also has a small LED screen to enter the SSID and network credentials. Since the SSID and network password remained the same from router to router, I didn't have to change these credentials on any of my wireless devices - and they all connected the same except for the printer. However,, I did re-enter them on the printer - with no success.

3. I re-installed the printer drivers from scratch. No luck

Thanks for your suggestions, but unfortunately they do not fix my problem.

TRENDING THREADS