Audigy vs. Audigy 2 (re: Gaming)

tgoviper

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
I suppose if I spent a few hours researching this
I could figure it out but I'm lazy and figured
there's someone out there who knows the answer.

I am a casual to serious gamer looking to
improve sound quality (I have the ASUS a7n8x
DX and am not particularly pleased with the
onboard stuff).

So I ask you this, which is better for gaming?
The Regular Audigy or the Audigy 2?
Thanks!

felix_nukem

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2003
It completely depends on you and your headphones and ears :), you can hear well with either sb live value! or audigy or so on...
But when I started to upgrade my sound card (sb 16 first one),I first noticed trebles are better every upgrade. When I had live value!,trebles and bass are very good for gaming. Now I'm having fun with audigy. Trebles are better again and bass is more clear. I read from reviews that audigy2 has even better and clearer trebles and bass from audigy original. I played duke nukem,quake1,2,3 in past. And I have gave up gaming about 1-2 month ago. And bought a hifi system for connecting my computer. After that I always keep in mind that newer sound card=new tech and clearer treble&bass. Always upgrade your soundcard time to time and your headphones with the new models from the same manufacturer.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I would say audigy 2. Audigy 1 is available for $50 online in OEM form. Not bad. But for $100 shipped at newegg you get the audigy 2, hitman 2 full version and soldier of fortune 2 full version.. both have full eax advanced hd support.

I would have to say for the extra $50, those two games and a slightly superior sound card is definitly worth it.

but if you already had an original audigy like i do, i would say wait until the next creative card comes out.. because theres probably not enough difference to warrant an upgrade, they both sound great and have eax hd.

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s