Wizardry 7 - cannot load system fonts

Last response: in Video Games
February 4, 2005 2:41:35 AM

When trying to run Wizardry VII (DOSBox on a Windows 2000 PC),
I get the message "SYSTEM ERROR: Cannot load system fonts".

A bit of googling shows that the problem has come up
multiple times before and the suggested fixes were:
1. Make sure the game is installed on C:,
2. Install the Pentium patch, and
3. Make sure there is enough conventional memory free.

I've done all three, and the problem still remains.
Are there any other possible solutions I've overlooked?

Thanks.

RelMark
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 10:01:06 PM

On that special day, RelMark, (bsmith77@dreamscape.com) said...

> I've done all three, and the problem still remains.
> Are there any other possible solutions I've overlooked?

I don't know if this is the reason, but: Did you install the game in
(virtual) C:\ directly? IIRC, the game would create *two* directories on
the hard disk. I messed with one, because I hated to have a single
SAVES directory on my hard disk, and somehow managed to move it to c:
\games\rpg\w7 and change the configuration files accordingly. But I
can't recall any more how I did it.

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 11:37:53 PM

Gabriele Neukam <Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de> wrote in

> On that special day, RelMark, (bsmith77@dreamscape.com) said...
>
>> I've done all three, and the problem still remains.
>> Are there any other possible solutions I've overlooked?
>
> I don't know if this is the reason, but: Did you install the game in
> (virtual) C:\ directly? IIRC, the game would create *two* directories
> on the hard disk. I messed with one, because I hated to have a single
> SAVES directory on my hard disk, and somehow managed to move it to c:
> \games\rpg\w7 and change the configuration files accordingly. But I
> can't recall any more how I did it.

Huh. I was *sure* I'd installed it directly to C:, since I'd read about
the possible problems beforehand. I ran the install program to update the
configuration anyway, and for whatever reason, that seems to have fixed the
problem. Thanks!

RelMark
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 7:34:10 PM

On that special day, , (RelMark <bsmith77(at)dreamscape(dot)com>)
said...

> I ran the install program to update the
> configuration anyway, and for whatever reason, that seems to have fixed the
> problem. Thanks!

Glad it worked. Have fun with the game, and be prepared. It is looooong.
An epic.