English Win 7 Key + German Install Disks. Will it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all!

I have an OEM version of Win 7 Pro (English) currently installed on my system.
I am currently upgrading my Motherboard and CPU, building another system with the old parts.
As the recipients of my old setup are German, the OS needs to be in German for them also.

Here is my dilemma.
When I pickup a new copy of Win 7 it will be in German (as I am living in Germany).
They need a German instillation of 7 and my current OEM key is locked to the old motherboard.
Will I be able to use that English OEM key with a German instillation, then use the new German key with my current English disks?

Hopefully some of you software gurus have run into this before and can give me a definitive answer.
Thanks in advance!

tikrjee

Distinguished
May 26, 2009

It should work. The proper question to have asked was Will it blend?
Actually, how good's your German?

tikrjee

Distinguished
May 26, 2009

Bad habit. Anytime I hear/read someone ask "Will it work?" first thing that comes to mind is "Will It Blend"

best use for an iPhone ever.

In all seriousness, the only problem I see arising in using a German disc to install Windows (anything) would be German as the default language. Minor inconvenience.

while technically oem copies are locked to the mobo, i've never had a problem going to different motherboards. From personal expierence, I developed this theory. If the activations are a month or more apart worse is a completely automated phone call to MS. If less then a month you'll have to speak to someone live. But either way you'll get you activation key.

tikrjee

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
OMG I'm sorry I've read this all wrong.

To answer your question, plain and simple, Yes it will work.
Keys are (should) not be restricted by region.

You would have to be prepared to make a phone call to MS about your old key, though.
Remember:
"No, this software is ONLY installed on ONE computer"
"No, there have been no 'significant' hardware changes" (they won't know)
"I'm voluntarily reinstalling this product because (choose one: a Virus infection, software crashed, I just felt like it)"

Been doing this for a few years, got it down on lock!

+2

Also, thanks.
Now I have that theme song stuck in my head :p

Thanks for your input guys.
I will pick up a German copy and give it a try!
I guess worst case, I will have to use the new key in their system and beg Microsoft to activate the old key on mine.

I will post back the results in a week or so.
That way, if anyone in the future has this issue, the answer will be known!

Thanks again for your input!

G

it will not support coz in this win 7 english key won't accept german edition i tried its doesn't work you need to buy new german edition thats only way.

Is the German copy of Windows 7 the same edition (Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, etc.) as the English copy?
Are you sure your key(s) and Windows copy are original?
Is the English copy still activated on another machine?

I can confirm that this worked just fine for me using Win 7 Home Premium and also with a copy of XP.
If both copies match, are original and the key is not already in use, it will work just fine.

I reactivated windows using the same key on different boards with in 5 days of each other. All worked out with an online activation.

Status
Not open for further replies.