petekroll

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2002
When sound is played on my machine it tends to have a humming noise when turned up louder
(i suppose humm is always there but just magnified when turned up). Music or whatever
sounds great but just that darn noise in the background almost like something isn't grounded
properly? Where would i guy even ground it though and why should i have to...should
just work properly when you throw it in the machine i thought. Speakers are in good condition.

Card is a SOundBlaster Live 5.1
Athlon 1.33
512 DDR Ram
Abit KG7 Motherboard

Any advice would be appriciated.

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
Hum, most likely some electrical interference. I t could also be the cables. They are usually cheap., but it could be alot of things. Do you have another sound card, speakers or cables to inter change?

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad:

felix_nukem

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2003
I agree with second post,there are a lot of things to consider. But I experienced it when I had sb live value!.
When playing music,turn off the unused inputs of your soundcard.ESPECIALLY, "Analog CD Audio" input. (I think you've already turned off your microphone in the surround mixer ;) )
Try again, I hope this fixes. If it is not, there may be interference.

tgoviper

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
Yeah, seems like an electrical interference problem like post #2 stated. Your cables might still be okay but if they're tangled up in other current carrying wires the
interference could be causing the humming.

G

Your right, hum (50/60Hz) is almost always caused by ground loops (not ideal) in the system.

My advice would be try to get all your gear, ie audio, PC, etc. all onto a single appropriately rated power strip, and plug that baby into one appropriately rated outlet.

If you can do what I said and still have the problem, post back and let me know. I would be interested to here about it.

edit: oops here=hear<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by knewton on 01/16/03 06:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
I used to have a kg7 mobo and it wouldnt even boot with a sblive! due to the all so wonderful via 686B southbridge =]....I replaced it with a turtle beach santa cruz and I never had a problem. An idea would be to go to worst purchase (bestbuy) :smile: and pick up a turtle beach and throw it in there and if it works fine then you know its the sound card....if it still does it then just take it back ..