Sacred CD Key

Here's a tip, never buy anything distributed through Encore. They're the US
distributors of Sacred and they will not reissue CD keys under any
circumstances. The game installs fine and does not require a CD key to play
single player but if you want to play multi player you have to enter the CD
key found in the manual. Since it's a simple game and has a good tutorial
you don't need the manual. I had long since thrown the manual out and went
to try multi player the other day when I discovered a CD key was needed and
that it was located in the back of the manual. So I called Encore and
offered to send them my original disks to verify I purchased it and they
refused saying they will not issue any CD keys under any circumstances. This
is a piss poor customer relations attitude and I will never purchase
anything from them again. Yes it's my fault for tossing the manual but
Encore could have been more accommodating. Their answer was spend another 40
bucks and buy the game again if you want to play multiplayer.

lupi

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004

It's like 9.99 in the store.

lupi

"Phil Trevorrow" <philtrev@myhome.com> wrote in message
> Here's a tip, never buy anything distributed through Encore. They're the
US
> distributors of Sacred and they will not reissue CD keys under any
> circumstances. The game installs fine and does not require a CD key to
play
> single player but if you want to play multi player you have to enter the
CD
> key found in the manual. Since it's a simple game and has a good tutorial
> you don't need the manual. I had long since thrown the manual out and went
> to try multi player the other day when I discovered a CD key was needed
and
> that it was located in the back of the manual. So I called Encore and
> offered to send them my original disks to verify I purchased it and they
> refused saying they will not issue any CD keys under any circumstances.
This
> is a piss poor customer relations attitude and I will never purchase
> anything from them again. Yes it's my fault for tossing the manual but
> Encore could have been more accommodating. Their answer was spend another
40
> bucks and buy the game again if you want to play multiplayer.

Ed

> I had long since thrown the manual out..........
> Yes it's my fault for tossing the manual

At least then accept full responsibility and not try and apportion it on
Encore for your own stupidity.

> Their answer was spend another 40 bucks and buy the game again if you want
> to play multiplayer.

Have you seen just how cheap that it can be bought now...?

> Encore could have been more accommodating

Why should they be..?

> This is a piss poor customer relations attitude and I will never purchase
> anything from them again.

Your loss. Get over it.

Ed

nostromo

Thus spake "Phil Trevorrow" <philtrev@myhome.com>, Fri, 04 Feb 2005 19:11:36
GMT, Anno Domini:

>Here's a tip, never buy anything distributed through Encore. They're the US
>distributors of Sacred and they will not reissue CD keys under any
>circumstances. The game installs fine and does not require a CD key to play
>single player but if you want to play multi player you have to enter the CD
>key found in the manual. Since it's a simple game and has a good tutorial
>you don't need the manual. I had long since thrown the manual out and went
>to try multi player the other day when I discovered a CD key was needed and
>that it was located in the back of the manual. So I called Encore and
>offered to send them my original disks to verify I purchased it and they
>refused saying they will not issue any CD keys under any circumstances. This
>is a piss poor customer relations attitude and I will never purchase
>anything from them again. Yes it's my fault for tossing the manual but
>Encore could have been more accommodating. Their answer was spend another 40
>bucks and buy the game again if you want to play multiplayer.

How old are you Phil? Because, for the life of me, I can't fathom someone
with above a certain percentage literacy & brainpower (presumably over 5
years of age & enough to play Sacred) throwing out a game manual they *paid
good money for* AND that has a cd key printed on it...??? *boggle*
Unless of course you live in a shoebox...:-/

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?

Phil Trevorrow wrote:
> Here's a tip, never buy anything distributed through Encore. They're
> the US distributors of Sacred and they will not reissue CD keys under
> any circumstances. The game installs fine and does not require a CD
> key to play single player but if you want to play multi player you
> have to enter the CD key found in the manual. Since it's a simple
> game and has a good tutorial you don't need the manual. I had long
> since thrown the manual out and went to try multi player the other
> day when I discovered a CD key was needed and that it was located in
> the back of the manual. So I called Encore and offered to send them
> my original disks to verify I purchased it and they refused saying
> they will not issue any CD keys under any circumstances. This is a
> piss poor customer relations attitude and I will never purchase
> anything from them again. Yes it's my fault for tossing the manual
> but Encore could have been more accommodating. Their answer was spend
> another 40 bucks and buy the game again if you want to play
> multiplayer.

That's really too bad, I agree that they should have been more accomodating
if you were willing to mail your game to them as proof. I think manuals are
a poor choice to print the CD key on because sometimes people do misplace
their manuals as we don't all store them with our games. I like it much
better when the key is on the case/sleeve.

I bought UO one time many years ago and the CD-Key I had with the game
didn't work. I called and they gave me a new key over the phone without even
asking for any kind of proof that I had the game which made me very happy.

"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message
> Thus spake "Phil Trevorrow" <philtrev@myhome.com>, Fri, 04 Feb 2005
> 19:11:36
> GMT, Anno Domini:
>
>>Here's a tip, never buy anything distributed through Encore. They're the
>>US
>>distributors of Sacred and they will not reissue CD keys under any
>>circumstances. The game installs fine and does not require a CD key to
>>play
>>single player but if you want to play multi player you have to enter the
>>CD
>>key found in the manual. Since it's a simple game and has a good tutorial
>>you don't need the manual. I had long since thrown the manual out and went
>>to try multi player the other day when I discovered a CD key was needed
>>and
>>that it was located in the back of the manual. So I called Encore and
>>offered to send them my original disks to verify I purchased it and they
>>refused saying they will not issue any CD keys under any circumstances.
>>This
>>is a piss poor customer relations attitude and I will never purchase
>>anything from them again. Yes it's my fault for tossing the manual but
>>Encore could have been more accommodating. Their answer was spend another
>>40
>>bucks and buy the game again if you want to play multiplayer.
>
> How old are you Phil? Because, for the life of me, I can't fathom someone
> with above a certain percentage literacy & brainpower (presumably over 5
> years of age & enough to play Sacred) throwing out a game manual they
> *paid
> good money for* AND that has a cd key printed on it...??? *boggle*
> Unless of course you live in a shoebox...:-/

I'll spell it out for you since you seem incapable of reading between the
lines. When you install the game it does not ask for a cd key nor does it
even mention there is one needed for multiplayer. You can play single-player
all day long without the need for a cd key. Why would I throw away a manual?
Maybe it's because I have hundreds of games and simply don't have the room
to keep every box and manual. If it's a game I know has a cd key in the
manual then I'll keep it. Otherwise it gets tossed to make room for the new
games. Hope that clears things up for your simple mind. Jackass.

"Ed" <here@noe.com> wrote in message
>> I had long since thrown the manual out..........
>> Yes it's my fault for tossing the manual
>
> At least then accept full responsibility and not try and apportion it on
> Encore for your own stupidity.

Looks like I accepted responsibility. Maybe that concept escaped you.

>> Their answer was spend another 40 bucks and buy the game again if you
>> want to play multiplayer.
>
> Have you seen just how cheap that it can be bought now...?

Amazon has it for $32. You know somewhere cheaper?

>> Encore could have been more accommodating
>
> Why should they be..?

It's called customer relations. If I can prove I bought the game, they
should be accomodating. You obviously have no experience in retail.

>> This is a piss poor customer relations attitude and I will never purchase
>> anything from them again.
>
> Your loss. Get over it.

I don't consider it a loss. The game wasn't that great anyway. I was simply
pointing out Encore's poor customer relations. If you want to buy games from
them, good luck.

"Dirty Redpool" <dirtredpooll@something.something> wrote in message
> Phil Trevorrow wrote:
>> Here's a tip, never buy anything distributed through Encore. They're
>> the US distributors of Sacred and they will not reissue CD keys under
>> any circumstances. The game installs fine and does not require a CD
>> key to play single player but if you want to play multi player you
>> have to enter the CD key found in the manual. Since it's a simple
>> game and has a good tutorial you don't need the manual. I had long
>> since thrown the manual out and went to try multi player the other
>> day when I discovered a CD key was needed and that it was located in
>> the back of the manual. So I called Encore and offered to send them
>> my original disks to verify I purchased it and they refused saying
>> they will not issue any CD keys under any circumstances. This is a
>> piss poor customer relations attitude and I will never purchase
>> anything from them again. Yes it's my fault for tossing the manual
>> but Encore could have been more accommodating. Their answer was spend
>> another 40 bucks and buy the game again if you want to play
>> multiplayer.
>
> That's really too bad, I agree that they should have been more
> accomodating
> if you were willing to mail your game to them as proof. I think manuals
> are
> a poor choice to print the CD key on because sometimes people do misplace
> their manuals as we don't all store them with our games. I like it much
> better when the key is on the case/sleeve.
>
> I bought UO one time many years ago and the CD-Key I had with the game
> didn't work. I called and they gave me a new key over the phone without
> even
> asking for any kind of proof that I had the game which made me very happy.

That's because they understand the concept of good customer relations. Most
of the posters here are too stupid to figure that out. It's refreshing to
see someone with more than half a brain reply. Manuals are an extremely poor
choice to put the cd key on. That simple concept has escaped everyone but
you and I it seems. I literally own hundreds of games and I just don't have
the room to keep all the boxes and manual laying around. If I knew there was
a cd key in the manual I would have kept it. If you're going to have a cd
key you would think they would require it to install the game but they
don't. They don't even mention there is a cd key in the manual. Extremely
poor design in my opinion.

On that special day, Phil Trevorrow, (philtrev@myhome.com) said...

(snip useless full quote)

> Maybe it's because I have hundreds of games and simply don't have the room
> to keep every box and manual.

I threw away one manual several years ago, because I had thought, the
floppies were already gone. Later I found them at my sisters place. The
company had meanwhile gone belly up. That was a lesson for me. Never
throw away the accessory of any game, as long as you can play it on
*any* computer.

You are lazy, and have got to pay for it.

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.

"Gabriele Neukam" <Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de> wrote in message
> On that special day, Phil Trevorrow, (philtrev@myhome.com) said...
>
> (snip useless full quote)
>
>> Maybe it's because I have hundreds of games and simply don't have the
>> room
>> to keep every box and manual.
>
> I threw away one manual several years ago, because I had thought, the
> floppies were already gone. Later I found them at my sisters place. The
> company had meanwhile gone belly up. That was a lesson for me. Never
> throw away the accessory of any game, as long as you can play it on
> *any* computer.
>
> You are lazy, and have got to pay for it.

I'm paying for it alright but I'm not lazy. I just don't have the room to
keep every game box and manual. I have hundreds of games and unlike most
people here, I don't live in a mansion. I don't have a 300 square foot
walk-in closet dedicated to just games. I keep the CD's of the games because
they're easy to store and 99.9% of the ones that require cd keys have them
on the sleeve or jewel case. The other .1% that have them in the manual I
keep those. And as I've said several times already but which doesn't seem to
be sinking in is if I had known there was a cd key required I would have
kept the manual. However, you can install the game and it never asks for a
cd key. You can play single-player and it never asks for a cd key. It's the
only game I ever bought that has a cd key that is ONLY required for
multi-play. Every other game I've ever purchased that has a cd key has
required me to enter the key upon installation of the game or upon first
running the game.

In article <2FHNd.10844$uc.453@trnddc05>, Phil Trevorrow wrote:
> I'm paying for it alright but I'm not lazy. I just don't have the room to
> keep every game box and manual. I have hundreds of games and unlike most
> people here, I don't live in a mansion. I don't have a 300 square foot
> walk-in closet dedicated to just games. I keep the CD's of the games
> because they're easy to store and 99.9% of the ones that require cd keys
> have them on the sleeve or jewel case. The other .1% that have them in the
> manual I keep those. And as I've said several times already but which
> doesn't seem to

Have you considered a scanner? Then, when you buy anything that has a
manual, not just games, scan the manual. Scan the receipt, too, and any
other papers that came with the thing. You can then store all you manuals
on DVD or CD, for convenient access as needed, and save a lot of space.

--
--Tim Smith

In article <EBvNd.13857$wc.5297@trnddc07>, Phil Trevorrow wrote:
> It's called customer relations. If I can prove I bought the game, they
> should be accomodating. You obviously have no experience in retail.

The problem from their point of view is that you can't prove that you didn't
use the CD key already. They can't look at the CDs you offered to mail them
and tell what the original key was associated with them.

--
--Tim Smith

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 21:03:55 GMT, "Phil Trevorrow"
<philtrev@myhome.com> wrote:

Snip............

>That's because they understand the concept of good customer relations. Most
>of the posters here are too stupid to figure that out. It's refreshing to
>see someone with more than half a brain reply. Manuals are an extremely poor
>choice to put the cd key on. That simple concept has escaped everyone but
>you and I it seems. I literally own hundreds of games and I just don't have
>the room to keep all the boxes and manual laying around. If I knew there was
>a cd key in the manual I would have kept it. If you're going to have a cd
>key you would think they would require it to install the game but they
>don't. They don't even mention there is a cd key in the manual. Extremely
>poor design in my opinion.

Er, I put each of my PC games (and manual ! ) in a
plastic-zipper freezer-bag and store them in logical groups in
Tupperware-type stackable plastic totes. I throw away all boxes except
for those with collectable artwork ( Amiga Psygnosis games, for
instance ). I have several hundred Amiga and PC games collected over
the years. Can store 10-12 games (inc.manual) in one 15x10x6 inch
tote.... You can even print up labels for each tote listing the
contents...........

Throwing away the manual also destroys most of the potential resale
value...

John Lewis

"Tim Smith" <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> wrote in message

> Have you considered a scanner? Then, when you buy anything that has a
> manual, not just games, scan the manual. Scan the receipt, too, and any
> other papers that came with the thing. You can then store all you manuals
> on DVD or CD, for convenient access as needed, and save a lot of space.

Scanning the receipt isn't a bad idea but scanning the manual would be a
copyright infringement and hence illegal.

> In article <EBvNd.13857$wc.5297@trnddc07>, Phil Trevorrow wrote:
>> It's called customer relations. If I can prove I bought the game, they
>> should be accomodating. You obviously have no experience in retail.
>
> The problem from their point of view is that you can't prove that you
> didn't
> use the CD key already. They can't look at the CDs you offered to mail
> them
> and tell what the original key was associated with them.

That's true but they could certainly keep my name and address on file so if
I asked for another CD key they would know I'm trying to scam them. I don't
think most pirates would be willing to give them all their personal
information. Hell, if I wanted to pirate it I could download a key generator
for it but I don't believe in piracy.

> On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 21:03:55 GMT, "Phil Trevorrow"
> <philtrev@myhome.com> wrote:
>
> Snip............
>>
>>That's because they understand the concept of good customer relations.
>>Most
>>of the posters here are too stupid to figure that out. It's refreshing to
>>see someone with more than half a brain reply. Manuals are an extremely
>>poor
>>choice to put the cd key on. That simple concept has escaped everyone but
>>you and I it seems. I literally own hundreds of games and I just don't
>>have
>>the room to keep all the boxes and manual laying around. If I knew there
>>was
>>a cd key in the manual I would have kept it. If you're going to have a cd
>>key you would think they would require it to install the game but they
>>don't. They don't even mention there is a cd key in the manual. Extremely
>>poor design in my opinion.
>>

> Er, I put each of my PC games (and manual ! ) in a
> plastic-zipper freezer-bag and store them in logical groups in
> Tupperware-type stackable plastic totes. I throw away all boxes except
> for those with collectable artwork ( Amiga Psygnosis games, for
> instance ). I have several hundred Amiga and PC games collected over
> the years. Can store 10-12 games (inc.manual) in one 15x10x6 inch
> tote.... You can even print up labels for each tote listing the
> contents...........
>
> Throwing away the manual also destroys most of the potential resale
> value...

That still takes up quite a bit of room. Doing the math, you should have 20
of those containers laying around. At 15x10 that's still a lot of space.
It's a novel idea. I used to file them in manila envelopes and put them in a
filing cabinet but the filing cabinet got full and every time I opened the
top draw, the cabinet started to tip. Finally I just said screw it, keep the
CD's and the handful of manuals that have CD keys in them.

Reselling games is too much of a hassle. I used to do it but then driving
down to the post office got old quick. It just wasn't worth the trouble.

nostromo

Thus spake "Phil Trevorrow" <philtrev@myhome.com>, Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:43:29
GMT, Anno Domini:

>"Tim Smith" <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Have you considered a scanner? Then, when you buy anything that has a
>> manual, not just games, scan the manual. Scan the receipt, too, and any
>> other papers that came with the thing. You can then store all you manuals
>> on DVD or CD, for convenient access as needed, and save a lot of space.
>
>Scanning the receipt isn't a bad idea but scanning the manual would be a
>copyright infringement and hence illegal.

And this kids, is how we tell stoopid people from pirates & liars. Well,
actually, you can't tell them apart, ahem.

"Phil Trevorrow" <philtrev@myhome.com> once tried to test me with:

> Here's a tip, never buy anything distributed through Encore. They're

Because you lost your manual, we shouldn't buy something from them?

> the US distributors of Sacred and they will not reissue CD keys under
> any circumstances. The game installs fine and does not require a CD
> key to play single player but if you want to play multi player you
> have to enter the CD key found in the manual. Since it's a simple game
> and has a good tutorial you don't need the manual. I had long since
> thrown the manual out and went to try multi player the other day when
> I discovered a CD key was needed and that it was located in the back
> of the manual. So I called Encore and offered to send them my original
> disks to verify I purchased it and they refused saying they will not
> issue any CD keys under any circumstances. This is a piss poor
> customer relations attitude and I will never purchase anything from
> them again. Yes it's my fault for tossing the manual but Encore could
> have been more accommodating. Their answer was spend another 40 bucks
> and buy the game again if you want to play multiplayer.

Ok lets say I have Sacred and I want a copy for my buddy to play online
with me. I burn a copy of the original discs and then mail them off to
Encore and get a 2nd CD-KEY. Now I got 2 cd-keys and all i need is a no-cd
hack or a disc image and away we go, 2 for the price of one!

So there's a valid reason for their policy.

Lastly, did you ask to speak to a manager? Many companies say "NO" first,
but if you are persistant, you can get a "YES.'

--

Knight37

"Phil" <parson@myhome.com> once tried to test me with:

> Except the game is uncopiable.

ROFLMAO!

> And even if someone did copy it why go
> to the trouble of alerting the distributor that you may be a potential
> hacker when you can just download a keyfile hack without going through
> all the hastle of calling tech support?

A key-generator, after countless hours and trials, *may* (but unlikely)
generate a key that you can use on the Ascaron servers. A real key, sent
from Ascaron, definitely will.

> So you argument doesn't make sense.

Yeah, right. Whateva. It makes perfect sense.

> If you're going to go through the trouble of downloading a hack
> you're also going to download the keyfile hack. And if you don't think
> they exist do a google search. I did and there's lots of them but I
> don't believe in piracy.

That's nice. But lots of people are True Believers in Piracy.

And having a key-gen isn't as good as having a real key.

>> So there's a valid reason for their policy.
>
> No there isn't. If you can prove you own the original game they should
> have some sort of plan in place where you can get your manual replaced.

I agree, it's poor customer service not to. I'm just saying, there ARE
reasons why they might not.

>> Lastly, did you ask to speak to a manager? Many companies say "NO"
>> first, but if you are persistant, you can get a "YES.'
>
> I did one better. I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau
> against them and low and behold I get a very nice e-mail from them
> about a week later saying to please send them one of the original CD's
> along with $10.00 and they'd be happy to send me a new manual. That's
> reasonable considering it was my mistake for throwing it away in the
> first place. If they had just said that when I was on the phone with
> them it would be a non-issue. It's a shame it took reporting them to
> the BBB to get satisfaction.

I think you can get a whole new copy for under $10.

--

Knight37

Well, I heard that mp is cool, but `cause I`m with a unlegal Sacred and I haven`t got a CD key for MP...If someone wants pls send me a CD key- - my e-mail`s lita.96@abv.bg pls